PDA

View Full Version : Life There ain't enough

Over-Head
02-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Weed, booz, or anything else that could make me feel better right now about what I have to do first thing monday morning

Just got back in from the shed. So bear with me
If I don't vent i'm going to lay awake in bed and stew.

Had to go see a lawyer about a custom house i'm working on.
Clients are incredible, general contractor who SHOULD be paying his invoices ....(I'll save those comments between me and my lawyer)

Worst part is this .....(god what I wouldn't like to say about this dude who just happens to also be a cop) general contractor has the house 3 months behind schedual, from what I saw today is another 2-3 weeks work to tie up lose ends on both his part of "STILL NOT ****ING DONE!!!!" to my part of
"WHEN YOU ****ING FINISH IT I CAN DO SOMETHING WITH IT"

And now I have to look my clients in the face and tell them a lien is going on your new home that I walked out on 3 weeks ago.

Why the hell did I ever get back into this shit!

Honest to god, for 13 ****ing years on the highway, I would have sworn up down, back and side ways that being an independent Owner /Operator long haul trucker was about as close to living in Hell as a man could get, with a case of massive sadistic tendencies going through his brain each and every hour.
Right up until 3 years ago when I started up another company.
Hey, this city (St. John's) is booming. I mean BOOMING in every type of work situation you can friggen imagine

If your a tradesman at all, and you can't find work by noon in the city you over slept. PERIOD!!

Problem is this bunch hasn't got a clue how to deal with the greed that comes along with it.
Casde in point.
I started this house back in late Sept with a christmass deadline.
NO prob! Just make sure the cabmits are ordered, and the stairs are ready. I'll do the rest.

$1,200,000 home here folks.(in LA 8-12 Mill) By NL terms huge custom home. Acording to the Contractor it's "supposed to be featured in an upcoming magizine ...cough, cough, BULLSHIT, cough etc, etc.

I did the whole damn enchalada on this place. Full cadalic skim (I compleatly cover EVERY square inch of the gyproc with a skim coat of watered down mud to make sure the surface that is 100% the same through out .) on the catherdal at no charge. Added a shit load of extra custom work like making a simple bulkhead in the basement into a raised scroll inlay plaster design around a gas fire place.
Adding raised plaster acathian leaves to the main area window trims and matching them over the front door.
all totaled it would have run about $45-6500.00 But I chalked it up to advertising. IF there actually was a magazine I couldn't begin to place a dollar value for that alone. PLUS the clients are quite promenant in the community where I can show case my ceiling work, so a door opened for another 30 hours of work was well worth it to me.

UNTILL
This ****ing Newfi curse up here.
You know the one, give a man an inch he takes a foot.
Up here he takes a ****ing drive to Florida!!
I swear to god, After watching this (holy **** would I like to say something like you co@ksucking Mike Holmes wannabe gun and badge carrying c@nt! but I just cant) guy make's a lifes work out of installing trim, and flooring and everything else he tries to jam into an overbooked already situation.
(I swear on a stack of bibles this clown couldn't organize a 2 car funeral
I had 3/4's of the house finish painted when he finally got the trim installed on teh top floor)

Jesus H Henery on a popcycle I'm so pizzed I can't even type stright!

Anyway, the straw that broke the camels back was the last progress payment.
The last 3 had been:
I got something sometime, but just didn't really know when I would get it even though my invoices clearly state as do contracts "FULL Payment due in 3-5 business days"

(in this provience a sub has 30 days from the last day work performed, service provided, or materials provided/used to cover your ass. NOT 30 from an invoice 3 weeks old. 30 period. That lesson cost me almost 12K back in May ((that matter is soon up for litigation, I just have to wait for the other 8 people ahead of me for this same Contractor)

Here's how it went
I give it to him on a Tuesday with the promise I would have it by the end of the week. Never saw him again till.. .

Monday
Me: So, about that payment
Him: Sorry didn't get a chance to get to the bank, but I'll swing by with it later.

Tuesday
Him: Any chance of getting the Kitchen done by Wed, we need to get the hardwood down for cabnits
Me: So, how about that that payment
Him: ..(make believe look of embarassement) I forgot to get to the bank.

Thursday
Him: (calling on cell) Ah, Jeff, where's your painter?
Me: I had to pull him for the day, So, about that progress payment
Him: so is he comming back? I mean come on, were wanting to do the floor?
(my painter had finishe dhte whole dam floor the day before, he didn't see any cars when he drove by and freaked)
Me:we'll be done in time, I'll be there tomorrow my self, we can talk about it when you hand me that progress payment.

Friday
Do I even have to tell you at this point he didn't even show up?

Following Tuesday
Him: man, AMAZING JOB, bla bla blaaaaa
Me : (Nothing)
Wife: So *** I might as well get that payment from you ow so I can do a deposit and get home nefor the storm hits.
Him: pauses...well if ***** **** gives me a deposit this week on such and such a job, I should have some cash for you by Friday.
Me: I see. turned and left.

Friday 4:30pm
I text him as he coviently doesn't have voice mail that my wife would contact him Monday to arrange pick up of that invoice.

Following Thursday
Finally get it, but he has come to this brain storm conclusion that $1100.00 less than what was on my invoices stated were because he didn't feel I treated him fairly on the ceiling work I did FOUR MONTHS AGO IN THIS HOUSE that every one and their dog has been droolng over since I painted them (soory for the self brag folks) and PAID FOR IN FULL FOR TWO MONTHS (well sort of I got half, then chased him 2 weeks for the other half) after he sold me a set of tires for half price. (at this point ALL those above mentiond extras I never asked a cent for had been also compleated)
This folks is the thought process fo so many fuggen contractors out there thats it's a wonder homes even manage to get built.

Final fight was today at 3pm. I had sent my painter back in on Monday to show good faith on my part from his last melt down, where he figued if I came back he'd give me half, which never came to be. I walked out, he lost his mind and started shouting, I said fine, my lawyer will be in touch.
This can't be the only city in the world this shit happens in????
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I mean honestly, I can't even begin to count the times I've agreed on a price with so much up front and the day I start or day after, buddy shows up short.
it get's mighty expensive to keep walk-en after a while.

**As a side note, a friend of mine went back into a where house this week and un-installed a set of door for his bos.
Seem that this building had so many damn liens already against it, he figured he'd never get paid.

Other than that.
how was your day?

rambleonthruthefog
02-12-2010, 09:26 PM
i didn't quit finish that, but it sounds like its been rough. rep

Bacon Cheeseburger
02-12-2010, 09:35 PM
I only work directly with property owners. No ands ifs or buts. No contractors, no property management companies, no realtors, no no no because anytime there's a middleman there's always trouble.

Guru
02-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Crap dude. That sucks!!! Sorry to hear about your bad day. Mine pales in comparison.

Over-Head
02-12-2010, 10:21 PM
What really sucks is like my wife says , there is NO home owner out there I can't earn the trust of, or professional respect from before it's all said and done.
These wanna be Mike Holmes wannabe's are popping up everywhere due to a booming economy, it used to be there were a hand full of azzholes to steer clear of, now a days, man take your pick.

Phobia
02-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Contractors sucks sometimes. I've been that guy before. Sometimes we screw up and sometimes we really are waiting on a draw from the bank.

But my guys always get theirs before I get mine so if they're eating ramen it's because I'm eating ramen too.

Over-Head
02-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Contractors sucks sometimes. I've been that guy before. Sometimes we screw up and sometimes we really are waiting on a draw from the bank.

But my guys always get theirs before I get mine so if they're eating ramen it's because I'm eating ramen too.
Oh I realize that and all, and there still are the "good ones" out there. but I just wish one of them would have the balls to say so PRIOR to jerking my chain for a few weeks.

And like I told this guy, you got the quote back in Sept. I don't wanna here about how your waiting on something in Feb. That shit ain't flying at all with me any more.
If you know how much i'm gonna charge BEFOR I start, then why the run around on payment, especially if you know the terms up front?

Never could understand that argument Phob, (And I don't mean to sound snotty cus this is in general not at you)
But it just don't jive. Go to wallmart and walk out with a cart full of goods without paying.
And as I also said to Sir he man builder, let me walk out of your fuggen tattoo shop (did I mention he also owns one of these too? )after a 5 or 6 hour session at a buck 20 an hour telling someone, yeah here's a hundred i'll drop off the rest when I get it, and let's see if I even make it back to the island before a squad car is chasing me.
he didn't see the coloration at all for some reason.

Gonzo
02-12-2010, 10:59 PM
I'm sensing some hostility...

Got my fingers crossed for you man.
Posted via Mobile Device

KCrockaholic
02-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Sounds tough man...Even a Raiders fan doesn't deserve that. Good luck though.

soundmind
02-13-2010, 08:43 AM
I tried very hard to read that, but comprehension was simply not possible. Good luck though, sounds like your dealing with turds. Don't work with turds, you get covered in sh*t.

Bwana
02-13-2010, 10:27 AM
It sounds like the guy needs to be the lead story on Unsolved Mysteries.

http://images.tvrage.com/shows/7/6487.jpg

Phobia
02-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Oh I realize that and all, and there still are the "good ones" out there. but I just wish one of them would have the balls to say so PRIOR to jerking my chain for a few weeks.

And like I told this guy, you got the quote back in Sept. I don't wanna here about how your waiting on something in Feb. That shit ain't flying at all with me any more.
If you know how much i'm gonna charge BEFOR I start, then why the run around on payment, especially if you know the terms up front?

Never could understand that argument Phob, (And I don't mean to sound snotty cus this is in general not at you)
But it just don't jive. Go to wallmart and walk out with a cart full of goods without paying.
And as I also said to Sir he man builder, let me walk out of your fuggen tattoo shop (did I mention he also owns one of these too? )after a 5 or 6 hour session at a buck 20 an hour telling someone, yeah here's a hundred i'll drop off the rest when I get it, and let's see if I even make it back to the island before a squad car is chasing me.
he didn't see the coloration at all for some reason.

I get it. I understand. I went 3 months without last year waiting on a final draw from the bank because of my inexperience on a huge job. Several of my subs waited too. But they got paid in the end. I didn't but it was my fault that I didn't budget the thing correctly.

You have to make sure you're working for good people, obviously. I'm bidding a big job right now where a guy's house is about $40,000 unfinished and he's living in it. Leins all over the place and the money is gone. His GC screwed him.

stevieray
02-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Bummer...I've been pretty lucky in getting paid..for the most part. I've always asked for half down to start a job.

I've had one repeat client who always disappeared the day I'd finish. He always paid me, but it took another trip (65 miles) to get the check. Man, I hated that.

Over-Head
02-13-2010, 12:10 PM
I get it. I understand. I went 3 months without last year waiting on a final draw from the bank because of my inexperience on a huge job. Several of my subs waited too. But they got paid in the end. I didn't but it was my fault that I didn't budget the thing correctly.

You have to make sure you're working for good people, obviously. I'm bidding a big job right now where a guy's house is about $40,000 unfinished and he's living in it. Leins all over the place and the money is gone. His GC screwed him.
Pretty much whats about to happen here.
I told the wife, if the home owner wants to take over and under wright my final cost, I'll finish as agreed, BUT the CG takes a fuggen hike, I finish, client signs off, I'm paid, GC comes back and closes the house just like a few other sub's are doing.,fine.
But right now it would take an act of god to make me go back

Hog Farmer
02-13-2010, 12:24 PM
Well, if you ever decide to change careers I usually have an opening.

RJ
02-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Big jobs like that always look so enticing. The problem is that they can put you out of business if you don't get paid. This is why I deal with very few builders. So many of them talk a great game but don't have the money to back it up. I much prefer remodel over new construction.

I'd like to have a dollar for every lien I've had to file because of a GC.

RJ
02-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Bummer...I've been pretty lucky in getting paid..for the most part. I've always asked for half down to start a job.

I've had one repeat client who always disappeared the day I'd finish. He always paid me, but it took another trip (65 miles) to get the check. Man, I hated that.

I get a deposit on virtually job I sell. That's the main reason I don't like working with builders. They want you to do the job for nothing (because "I'm a builder, I get special pricing"), don't want to pay anything up front, want you to jump through hoops (because "I'm a builder, you should put me ahead of other customers") and they'll pay you when they have the money - meaning when they get a deposit on the next job.

I've seen too many companies in my line of work end up o/b because they put all their eggs in that basket.

Over-Head
02-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Big jobs like that always look so enticing. The problem is that they can put you out of business if you don't get paid. This is why I deal with very few builders. So many of them talk a great game but don't have the money to back it up. I much prefer remodel over new construction.

I'd like to have a dollar for every lien I've had to file because of a GC.
THIS!!!
Nice to know i'm not alone

Over-Head
02-13-2010, 03:23 PM
I get a deposit on virtually job I sell. That's the main reason I don't like working with builders. They want you to do the job for nothing (because "I'm a builder, I get special pricing"), don't want to pay anything up front, want you to jump through hoops (because "I'm a builder, you should put me ahead of other customers") and they'll pay you when they have the money - meaning when they get a deposit on the next job.

I've seen too many companies in my line of work end up o/b because they put all their eggs in that basket.
Again, THIS,
Nice to know i'm not alone

Basically this thread was just a way to vent last night.