PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Oh *hit! The G-man is on the prowl! LOOKOUT!

T-post Tom
02-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Gunther Cunningham, Lions on the prowl to capture some K.C. Chiefs
By NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA
Posted: Feb. 14, 2010

Keep an eye on the Kansas City Chiefs amid the NFL maneuvering this off-season. The Lions certainly will.

"They keep wanting to dump players," defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham said late last season. "I would like to be there to catch a lot of them, because I know a couple of those guys."

Cunningham was the Chiefs' defensive coordinator in 2004-08. Toward the end of his tenure, he bemoaned coaching so many young players as the Chiefs struggled.

But now some of those young players are older, and they might be available because they don't fit the new defensive system the Chiefs introduced.

"Some of those young kids I coached, I really believed they were going to be good players, and I know I'm right about that," Cunningham said. "Now what's happened there is the same thing in any organization. A new guy comes in, and they decide to go to the 3-4 defense when the structure of the personnel was built for the 4-3."

The Lions already acquired Turk McBride off waivers last season. The Chiefs' former regime drafted McBride in the second round in 2007 to play on the defensive line. The new regime tried to move him to outside linebacker, but it didn't work.

Who could be next? One candidate is safety DaJuan Morgan, a third-round pick in 2008. Another is defensive lineman Glenn Dorsey, the fifth overall pick in '08, though the Chiefs likely would want a lot in a trade.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100214/SPORTS01/2140493/1356/SPORTS/Lions-would-love-to-poach-some-K.C.-Chiefs

Reerun_KC
02-14-2010, 12:32 PM
That is sad....

Ebolapox
02-14-2010, 12:40 PM
apparently they cut their sleeves off and grow beards. otherwise, he's not interested.

CaliforniaChief
02-14-2010, 12:42 PM
At least we're trying to replicate a good franchise.

T-post Tom
02-14-2010, 12:43 PM
apparently they cut their sleeves off and grow beards. otherwise, he's not interested.

ROFL

LaChapelle
02-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Heat waves off the anger
made the pic low quality

T-post Tom
02-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Heat waves off the anger
made the pic low quality

I though only Chuck Norris could do that.

Mr. Laz
02-14-2010, 01:31 PM
"They keep wanting to dump players," defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham said late last season. "I would like to be there to catch a lot of them, because I know a couple of those guys."
so why did you suck with them?

Sure-Oz
02-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Gunther is a funny bastard

T-post Tom
02-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Gunther is a funny bastard

As far as foot-shuffling-porters go, anyway. ;)

tyton75
02-14-2010, 01:58 PM
let him have anyone he wants and rape them in the trade

the Talking Can
02-14-2010, 02:11 PM
gunther is the como of DCs....

Bwana
02-14-2010, 02:14 PM
It's nice to see Goonter is still dumpster diving.

Count Zarth
02-14-2010, 02:21 PM
It's like watching a car wreck in slow motion.

Hog Farmer
02-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Would you give up Dorsey for a 2nd and 3rd ?

Rain Man
02-14-2010, 03:26 PM
The key to success is to obtain the castoffs of 4-12 teams.

Rain Man
02-14-2010, 03:27 PM
Would you give up Dorsey for a 2nd and 3rd ?

No, but I would climb into a tower with a sniper rifle for it.

Mr. Laz
02-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Hopefully Pioli hears this and bends Detroit over for some draft picks

Hog Farmer
02-14-2010, 04:45 PM

I'm wondering if DJ would be trade bait. Personally I don't want to see him leave BUT he was drafted under Gunther. A 3rd or maybe even a 2nd ?

Count Zarth
02-14-2010, 05:09 PM
A year or two from now some columnist in Detroit will pen an article.

"Look out, Gunther has his men."

The Bad Guy
02-14-2010, 07:22 PM
I just wish this mother fucker would go away. I don't want him talking about the Chiefs, thinking about the Chiefs. He's a large part of why this team has been so bad for so long. He's a fucking cancer and I'm happy the Detroit Lions have to deal with him now.

booger
02-14-2010, 07:40 PM
what a fcking tool. a legend in his own mind.

You don't see that many coordinators around the league giving their input on the teams personel. (publically through the media, anyway) He said he thought he could be a personel director when things were going bad during his HC stint and he had those strange pressers were it looked like the guy was literaly going crazy.

Poor lions. With their GM being so young and inexperienced Gunther will be there to lend his guidance for sure. Terrible fit for that org. They can have him though. Perfect example of a guy trying to do everyone elses job. Guy can't STFU and do his own job.

Good luck to them on getting Dorsey though.

Consistent1
02-14-2010, 07:53 PM
I wish someone would come along and talk about how it would be nice to get the guy back in KC. That would be a great thread.

DJJasonp
02-14-2010, 07:58 PM
[U]Gunther Cunningham, Lions on the prowl "I would like to be there to catch a lot of them, because I know a couple of those guys. [B]Of course, only if the players that are cut are no stinkin' commie tree-hugging democrats!"

l]

:)

Wilson8
02-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Cunningham's remarks cross the tampering line

Posted by Mike Florio on February 14, 2010 10:01 PM ET

We declared the tampering season open earlier today.

On cue, Lions defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham has dipped a toe into the tampering pool.

As Rosenthal pointed out, the former Chiefs defensive coordinator recently said, "[Kansas City] keeps wanting to dump their players. I would like to be there to catch a lot of them, because I know a couple of those guys."

Though Cunningham mentioned no specific players, we believe that he has committed a textbook violation of the tampering rules by expressing general interest in multiple players under contract with another team.

If, for example, current Browns G.M. and former Eagles G.M. Tom Heckert were to say, "The Eagles will be dumping one of their quarterbacks and I would like to be there to catch one of them," the Browns would quickly have one or more fewer draft picks come April 22. (Of course, Heckert has not said this. And no matter how many times we say that he didn't say it there will be readers who believe that he did.)

As one league source explained it in response to Cunningham's comments, agents for Chiefs players who are eligible for free agency or are being squeezed to take a pay cut will now use those words from Cunningham as leverage.

"We'll just go to Detroit," an agent might say. "Cunningham has said he wants some of his old guys."

We'll probably ask the league for comment on whether Cunningham's comments will be reviewed. But we've chased enough of these tampering cases to accept the fact that an explanation will be offered that will keep the Lions from being declared public cheaters.

Our prediction? "Cunningham didn't name any specific players, so it's not a violation."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/14/cunninghams-remarks-cross-the-tampering-line/

RippedmyFlesh
02-14-2010, 09:52 PM

Yea because we all know what a great talent evaluator he was with kc. Hand picked guys that led us to a.....to a......

RustShack
02-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Dorsey and Cassel for Calvin and Stafford.

T-post Tom
02-14-2010, 11:32 PM
Cunningham's remarks cross the tampering line

Posted by Mike Florio on February 14, 2010 10:01 PM ET

We declared the tampering season open earlier today.

On cue, Lions defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham has dipped a toe into the tampering pool.... http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/14/cunninghams-remarks-cross-the-tampering-line/

Picasso is painting the garage now.

Warrior5
02-15-2010, 06:08 AM

My exact thoughts...

Spicy McHaggis
02-15-2010, 08:18 AM
As far as foot-shuffling-porters go, anyway. ;)

Wow, that takes me back.

Consistent1
02-15-2010, 08:20 AM
Detroit has really got some young talent that should develop well. It would seem to me that not having Gun around would help, but it ain't my problem.

vailpass
02-15-2010, 08:23 AM
Gunther's going dumpster diving.

Tango&Cash
02-15-2010, 08:36 AM
"We'll just go to Detroit," an agent might say. "Cunningham has said he wants some of his old guys."

I'm not sure how much leverage this statement could get you.

If I was GM and a player told me this, I would simply say(while laughing)...."ok have fun!"

HotRoute
02-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Detroit is a great team to trade with , considering they suck and their pick would be higher. This is common trend of the patriots

Chiefshrink
02-15-2010, 09:20 AM
"Bemoaned" is the key word in this article and one of the reasons why the Chiefs sucked with Gunther. What is he thinking? You "should know" that you "have" to coach up 'young players'.

Just sad!!

Chiefshrink
02-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Dorsey and Cassel for Calvin and Stafford.

Pioli's ego and Clark's $ are wrapped up in Cassel. Won't happen.

LaChapelle
02-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Detriot Johnny tears up

Jilly
02-15-2010, 10:50 AM
The key to success is to obtain the castoffs of 4-12 teams.

oh but they were so young then......and we knew they'd be great players. :rolleyes: When will this stop being KC's trademark phrase?