PDA

View Full Version : Music Mutual Musicians Foundation in KC. Have you been?

|Zach|
02-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Finally got to go last night after a shooting gig along with a friend of mine. Stayed up entirely too late but it was a blast.

Anyone else caught the 12oclock jump or open jam session?

NewChief
02-14-2010, 03:23 PM
I posted about it a while ago. We went one year when we were in town for a game. It was a lot of fun and one of those weird moments that happen when traveling. I didn't even really know what we were going to. Went to a jazz club that night and got invited to go to some place to hear some music late night. Turns out it was the Foundation.

|Zach|
02-14-2010, 03:26 PM
I posted about it a while ago. We went one year when we were in town for a game. It was a lot of fun and one of those weird moments that happen when traveling. I didn't even really know what we were going to. Went to a jazz club that night and got invited to go to some place to hear some music late night. Turns out it was the Foundation.

Cool NYTimes piece on it last year.

http://www.nytimes.com/indexes/2009/03/22/style/t/index.html#pageName=22epicentersw

A buddy of mine had been talking about going for a while I mostly wanted to hit it up because it was spoken so highly by my father. I got off from a photography gig downtown at about 11:30 so it was perfect.

I will be going back for sure. Lots of super nice people.

The only place in the state of Missouri that serves until 6am. Ha!

NewChief
02-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Here's (http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=6275818&postcount=15I) my original post on it. As you can see, I was still trying to figure out what the hell happened that night at this point.

We went down to some upscale jazz club (the Blue Note?) one time downtime. Seems like it was about 7 or 8 blocks off the Plaza. Anyway, we met some people there, and they invited us back to some little house in a rundown section of town where there was an after hours jazz session playing in the basement. It was one of the weirder and more cool experiences I've had while traveling. It was like we had stepped back in time to a prohibition-ear speakeasy. Lots of white hipsters, but also lots of soulful, old black dudes in attendance. It felt very organic and authentic. Anyway, I never figured out if it was some regular thing that happens down there or what, but it was definitely cool.

Edit: The place we started at was the Blue Room. I remember now. It also doubles as a jazz museum.

CHENZ A!
02-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Been there many times. Love the music, and a great way to continue, or wind down a night. I don't think I've ever made it there before 2AM, and usually by the time I get home the sun is coming up.

Dottefan
02-14-2010, 05:16 PM
I go there frequently...my pops is a member of the Hall of fame, and some of my boys go there to jam late night.

KCUnited
02-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Used to go there back in the day when it didn't open til 3. When it was just the small room downstairs and beer was out of a cooler. Now I see Bryan busby there and shit. Many a great night there.

Extra Point
02-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Good time to be had there! Last time I went was a year-and-a-half ago.