PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Anyone find these ads strange on Craigslist?

googlegoogle
02-14-2010, 05:18 PM
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ele/1600788864.html

A tube television that costs more than some newer flatscreens.

DA_T_84
02-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Is it a flesh-tube television?

Bwana
02-14-2010, 05:34 PM
The tubes come with a hooker.

Guru
02-14-2010, 05:44 PM
750 bucks? WTF is that idiot thinking?

Hog Farmer
02-14-2010, 05:47 PM
750 bucks? WTF is that idiot thinking?

That's my ad . I've sold 9 so far !

Guru
02-14-2010, 05:48 PM
That's my ad . I've sold 9 so far !Either way, my question still stands. :D

Extra Point
02-14-2010, 06:42 PM
Been looking for a car for the wife. The ridiculosity (sp/gr/WTF?) of these ads is amazing. I flagged a listing under the cars+trucks this morning, as some dude wanted to sell his daughter, giving them $12,000 so they could buy a car.

In this quest for a vehicle to Frankenstein my son's recently totalled car, allthewhile finding a "new to her" vehicle for my wife, I listed a 22" dia. Zildjian Ping, and got two responses, obviously scam-type. The first, I give credit for losing interest after the first of five questions that tipped him back.

The second indicated to me, through a Yahoo.mx address, that I would be Paypal-ed the funds, his "team" would come over and pack it (I don't want to think what that means) for me, pick it up, and the deal would be done.

Craigslist.com: Pitch Magazine classifieds go national.

Phobia
02-14-2010, 10:58 PM
People are really, really stupid. I see used tools out there every day for 90% of retail.

Uh. No.

RippedmyFlesh
02-14-2010, 11:09 PM
People are really, really stupid. I see used tools out there every day for 90% of retail.

Uh. No.
new laptops for $100 more than best buy.
if 1 fool says yes then it's worth it i suppose

CosmicPal
02-15-2010, 12:00 AM
I see sh*t like this all the time on Craigslist. I recall seeing an ad, I kid you not, where this guy said he bought a new mattress, yet he never slept on it. It's a couple of months old and we're all supposed to believe he never spent a single night on it. Regardless, the fact that you took the mattress home and unwrapped it and set it up makes it a USED phucking mattress! Therefore, nobody is going to buy your $900 mattress for $800. :shake:

DaFace
02-15-2010, 12:08 AM
Well, to be fair, the ad says that the cabinet comes with it. No clue what quality it is, but there's a (very slight) chance that the cabinet alone is worth $400.

CosmicPal
02-15-2010, 12:21 AM
Well, to be fair, the ad says that the cabinet comes with it. No clue what quality it is, but there's a (very slight) chance that the cabinet alone is worth $400.

I was going to mention that too. I reviewed the pic and based on the pic alone that cabinet is not worth $400.

1. He's trying to sell a couple of items that are outdated.
2. Anyone can get a nifty modernized cabinet for under $400
3. Anyone can buy a new flat-panel TV for $400.

The problem with most of the sellers on Craigslist is that they look at what THEY paid for the items and say to themselves, well, I'm not going anywhere under 50% of the retail price. That's fine. However, if the stuff you are selling is outdated, then you are limiting your buyers to those who look to buy stuff for cheap to use in their own homes 'cause they cannot afford anything new, or they buy stuff cheap so they can resell it on Ebay.

For instance, I just liquidated the rest of my Amazon business. I did it for a couple of years and sold a lot of CDs online and made some pretty good money doing it. However, a lot of jackasses saw the potential too and started selling on Amazon, thus bringing the selling prices down. So much so, that many of the CDs were going for a penny. (Not including shipping). As a seller, I still made a dollar even though I sold it for a penny.

Anyways, I still had around 200 CDs that I could never sell on Amazon or eBay. They were just not good CDs. So, I wanted to get rid of them and stop doing the Amazon business because the competition has ruined it. I looked at the fact that nobody wanted these CDs and instead of asking $200 for them and dealing with a bunch of people coming by and haggling, I sold them all for $75. As soon as the ad went up, I got half a dozen calls and some dude came by 20 mins later, gave me $75 in cash, no haggling, no nothing. He got 200 lousy CDs he'll have a hard time selling and I got $75 in cash.

I know these jackasses want to try and get the most money they can for their used crap, but they have to be realistic here. Otherwise, they'll have to deal with a ton of phone calls, emails, hagglers, and embarrassments. Good luck trying to sell a used bed for $700 when nobody will believe you never slept in it.

Phobia
02-15-2010, 12:37 AM
Here's a guy I'd like to smack in the nose.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/tls/1600744802.html

He's selling this generator for $500.

Problem.... Home Depot has been selling it for $299 for a month.

Baconeater
02-15-2010, 12:45 AM
There are a lot of prick buyers on Craigslist as well, I swear the majority of them are there because they want something for practically nothing. What really pisses me off are the jackasses that still lowball me even when I specifically state in the ad that my price is firm and to not waste their time emailing me with any offers.

Phobia
02-15-2010, 12:50 AM
There are a lot of prick buyers on Craigslist as well, I swear the majority of them are there because they want something for practically nothing. What really pisses me off are the jackasses that still lowball me even when I specifically state in the ad that my price is firm and to not waste their time emailing me with any offers.

Heh. I'm on Craigslist because I want something for practically nothing. But I won't attempt to haggle when somebody says firm. I don't have a single problem with asking somebody if they'll take less though - it's an online garage sale. Worst they can say is "no".

BigMeatballDave
02-15-2010, 01:12 AM
Here's a guy I'd like to smack in the nose.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/tls/1600744802.html

He's selling this generator for $500.

Problem.... Home Depot has been selling it for $299 for a month.LMAO Don't these morons think, for one second, that someone might research current retail prices?

I've seen some of these fools on ebay, too. I'll send them an email asking why I should pay more for their item, when I can get it less at Walmart, Home Depo, et al?

-King-
02-15-2010, 01:15 AM
Craigslist is full of dumb asses. But hey, there's two worlds to it. There are the people who don't know the value of their shit and undersell it. I had a friend buy a laptop for well under what it was worth. The seller thought it was all but gone but my friend figured out it was just the charger port. Badda-Bing, Badda-boom, all fixed and working like new for a bargain. And then there are the Jordans I mentioned in another thread that me and a friend bought for about 100 and then restored them and have sold them for $400+.

-King-
02-15-2010, 01:16 AM
I think the funniest craigslist ads are the car ads that have cars with like 200,000+ miles from late 90's early 2000s going for like 7k+

Baconeater
02-15-2010, 01:38 AM
I think the funniest craigslist ads are the car ads that have cars with like 200,000+ miles from late 90's early 2000s going for like 7k+
My favorites are the ones who post wanted ads for cars thinking there are people that will let them make payments for it. Uhhh...not gonna happen.

Baconeater
02-15-2010, 01:46 AM
Here's a couple gems, these kids have no fucking clue:

http://omaha.craigslist.org/wan/1599961122.html

I am 16 and am in desperate need of a vehicle. I need something with decent miles on it and something that get decent to good mileage. DON"T WANT ANYTHING THAT NEEDS WORK, UNLESS CHEAP WORK OR VERY MINOR. I have about $500 cash on hand right now. Don't know if can get anymore. Send me pics and info on what you got.<!-- START CLTAGS -->

http://omaha.craigslist.org/wan/1600657606.html

I'm a teen, and as you know car places don't give loans to minors so... I need a car that i can make payments on.
It doesn't have to be the prettiest car ever but it has to run good, and have no problems, or little ones. That are cheap fixes.
I know no one likes letting people make payments but I don't make enough money to just go buy one off of the lot, and well i cant so...
If you have a car,
and you'd be willing to let me make payments,
then email me please and thanks<!-- START CLTAGS -->

doomy3
02-15-2010, 02:00 AM
That second one you posted sounds like Mecca typed it, Bug. The style of the post, anyway.

jjjayb
02-15-2010, 07:14 AM
If your product is worth $200 and you ask for $200 on Craigslist you are probably going to have a ton people offering to buy it for $150. Everyone wants to feel like they got a deal. If you ask for $400 you'll have a better chance of selling it for $200. Heck, you might run into someone who offers you $300 and thinks they're getting a deal because they negotiated you down a hundred bucks.

Phobia
02-15-2010, 10:01 AM
People asking for car payments are awesome. People asking for personal loans are even more amazing.... "My credit is terrible, but could I borrow $3k from you Mr. Stranger I met on the internet?"

I also like the ads where people are shopping for a vehicle: "I want a truck with good rubber, no mechanical issues, no rust, nothing over 100k, and oh, by the way, I have $900 cold hard cash in my pocket for you today."

stumppy
02-15-2010, 10:31 AM
I put my boat, motor & trailer on craiglist last fall. Had someone who wanted to stop by and take a look at it. Now keep in mind I posted pics, it was only an old alumn. v-hull with a 10hp motor asking price was $500. So two vehicles pulled in my drive at the time he was supposed to be here. I go outside to find he has showed up with his mother, father, wife, and their 3 rugrats. After telling him everything (again) he would need to know about it and starting the engine for him I figure this is probably a done deal. Guess again, this guy says he'd really need to take it to the lake and 'try it out' before he would buy it. I said 'sure, go right ahead just gonna need a $500 deposit'. Needless to say he didn't buy it.
Had another idiot email me a couple times wanting to know the weight capacity of the boat. Never bothered with a reply.

Fish
02-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Here's a couple gems, these kids have no fucking clue:

http://omaha.craigslist.org/wan/1599961122.html

I am 16 and am in desperate need of a vehicle. I need something with decent miles on it and something that get decent to good mileage. DON"T WANT ANYTHING THAT NEEDS WORK, UNLESS CHEAP WORK OR VERY MINOR. I have about $500 cash on hand right now. Don't know if can get anymore. Send me pics and info on what you got.<!-- START CLTAGS -->

http://omaha.craigslist.org/wan/1600657606.html

I'm a teen, and as you know car places don't give loans to minors so... I need a car that i can make payments on.
It doesn't have to be the prettiest car ever but it has to run good, and have no problems, or little ones. That are cheap fixes.
I know no one likes letting people make payments but I don't make enough money to just go buy one off of the lot, and well i cant so...
If you have a car,
and you'd be willing to let me make payments,
then email me please and thanks<!-- START CLTAGS -->

LOL... good fucking grief...

Long long ago, my folks taught me a simple but valuable lesson that somehow has been lost on today's society. Don't buy things you can't afford. If you want something badly enough, you'll work your tail off, save money, and find a way to acquire it. Otherwise, you can't have it. There are no shortcuts, period.

The whole "Buy now, pay later" attitude has ruined an entire generation.

-King-
02-15-2010, 10:49 AM
I put my boat, motor & trailer on craiglist last fall. Had someone who wanted to stop by and take a look at it. Now keep in mind I posted pics, it was only an old alumn. v-hull with a 10hp motor asking price was $500. So two vehicles pulled in my drive at the time he was supposed to be here. I go outside to find he has showed up with his mother, father, wife, and their 3 rugrats. After telling him everything (again) he would need to know about it and starting the engine for him I figure this is probably a done deal. Guess again, this guy says he'd really need to take it to the lake and 'try it out' before he would buy it. I said 'sure, go right ahead just gonna need a $500 deposit'. Needless to say he didn't buy it.
Had another idiot email me a couple times wanting to know the weight capacity of the boat. Never bothered with a reply.

:LOL::LOL:LMAOLMAOROFLROFL

acesn8s
02-15-2010, 11:24 AM
That's my ad . I've sold 9 so far !How much hog sperm comes with the set?

DMAC
I posted a nice microsuede chair on craigslist. Posted it for 60 firm.

This family of 4 comes over and all take turns sitting in chair while me and my wife just sit there watching them. Dad sits in chair twice. Nobody is saying a word... very awkward and strange. At least 5 minutes of sitting and looking at chair. ITS A CHAIR.

They offered 40.... I said no it is 60 firm. Tell ya what, I will do 55. They said 50. I said no, 55. It was 60 firm. They left with no chair.

They brought out the whole family for this.

Hog Farmer
Either way, my question still stands. :D

My thinking was, This world is full of idiots, why not take advantage.

Hog Farmer
02-15-2010, 11:25 AM
How much hog sperm comes with the set?

None. I've got that in a seperate ad.

Jilly
02-15-2010, 11:29 AM

This family of 4 comes over and all take turns sitting in chair while me and my wife just sit there watching them. Dad sits in chair twice. Nobody is saying a word... very awkward and strange. At least 5 minutes of sitting and looking at chair. ITS A CHAIR.

They offered 40.... I said no it is 60 firm. Tell ya what, I will do 55. They said 50. I said no, 55. It was 60 firm. They left with no chair.

Good quality chairs are hard to find, you know. Especially one the family can agree on. LMAO

DMAC
02-15-2010, 11:35 AM
This is the first time I have seen an artificial pot plant.

http://springfield.craigslist.org/hsh/1601605097.html

COchief
02-15-2010, 12:02 PM
They said 50. I said no, 55. It was 60 firm. They left with no chair.

It's not the buyer that I am thinking is a complete idiot right now. You turned down a deal over five bucks? What is your time worth? I can't believe you wouldn't just take the fifty bucks and be done with it. Did you find another buyer that paid $55? Even if you did, take the time setting up an appointment, waiting around for the guy, and showing him the chair had to be 30-60 minutes total all for an extra five bucks. Congratulations, you showed that first guy who was boss.
:bravo:

jjjayb
02-15-2010, 12:06 PM

You should have posted it for $80. They wouldv'e offered you $60. Done deal.

KCbroncoHATER
02-15-2010, 12:09 PM
I had a chain link fence that I did want any longer because of the up keep, it was way simpler to remove the fence instead of having to weed eat the damn thing every other week. So I put it on Craigs list as free to anyone who would remove it.

Several people showed up, none with any tools, truck or trailer to haul if off.

Most of them, after they realized that they had to work to get it , left. Some wanted just to take the gates with out removing any fence. Uh ... no, you must take the whole fence to get the gates.

Then an old man and his grandson showed up and said they would take it. After working for three hours at it, I called my bud and we helped them. He got 200' of fence, all the poles and top rails, plus three gates.

jidar
02-15-2010, 12:13 PM
To be fair this sort of thing was pretty rampant before Craigslist as well.

I used to work in a PC store and I saw a lot of people who are surprised at how worthless their computers are. There have always been a certain class of people who have a hard time with the concept of depreciation, and with technology it's even worse.

DMAC
02-15-2010, 12:39 PM
It's not the buyer that I am thinking is a complete idiot right now. You turned down a deal over five bucks? What is your time worth? I can't believe you wouldn't just take the fifty bucks and be done with it. Did you find another buyer that paid $55? Even if you did, take the time setting up an appointment, waiting around for the guy, and showing him the chair had to be 30-60 minutes total all for an extra five bucks. Congratulations, you showed that first guy who was boss.
:bravo:Wow...Its dooshbags like you that piss me off.

I told someone I wanted 60. I sit on my couch, where i would have been anyway and the family comes over and looks at it.

I wanted 60 fuckin dollars, asshole. Dont want it for that? Dont come over. At some point, its not about the money anymore.

And yes, I sold it to a normal person the next day who came over, looked at it, and bought it for 60.

BigMeatballDave
02-15-2010, 12:47 PM

They brought out the whole family for this.LMAO

Rooster
02-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Whatcha gonna do with that mannequin mister? :eek:

***FULL BODY MANNEQUIN*** (WELLINGTON)
I am needing a full body mannequin prefer it to be standing and in descent shape.
Male or Female

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

http://wichita.craigslist.org/wan/1601254149.html

BigMeatballDave
02-15-2010, 01:00 PM
:bravo:I believe you are the idiot. Its his fucking chair, dumbass. He advertised it 60 firm. WTF do you think 'firm' means?

COchief
02-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Wow...Its dooshbags like you that piss me off.

Just because I won't spend hours dicking around with clowns from CL for ten bucks does not make me a Dbag, it just means that apparently ten dollars is a lot more important to you than it is to me. I don't particulary like trash bags looking for used furniture coming into my house, but we all have our own set of standards I guess.

BTW there is no such thing as "firm pricing" on CL. If you want $60 list it for $70, that is what a logical person would do.

DMAC
02-15-2010, 01:11 PM
Just because I won't spend hours dicking around with clowns from CL for ten bucks does not make me a Dbag, it just means that apparently ten dollars is a lot more important to you than it is to me. I don't particulary like trash bags looking for used furniture coming into my house, but we all have our own set of standards I guess.

BTW there is no such thing as "firm pricing" on CL. If you want $60 list it for $70, that is what a logical person would do.:facepalm:

COchief
02-15-2010, 01:19 PM
:facepalm:

In all honesty, I deserved that. I probably should not be posting today, congrats on getting your asking price and I have been in situations where a buyer pisses you off enough that it becomes principal instead of 5-10 bucks or whatever it is.

Cheers

Donger
02-15-2010, 01:24 PM
I found the saddle that I was looking for recently on craigslist. Brand new and the guy wanted $10 for it. I felt so guilty that I paid him $20.

Phobia
02-15-2010, 06:10 PM
I found the saddle that I was looking for recently on craigslist. Brand new and the guy wanted $10 for it. I felt so guilty that I paid him $20.

I did that with a saw I bought today. Kid was selling 2 saws for $20. I gave him $20 for the one I wanted and told him to sell the other one for $10.

Phobia
02-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Oh - here's a doozie. Guy is selling this drill for $300 and even admits in his ad that it retails for $289. Guess he wants that tax too.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/tls/1602471884.html

Baconeater
02-15-2010, 06:35 PM
LOL... good ****ing grief...

Long long ago, my folks taught me a simple but valuable lesson that somehow has been lost on today's society. Don't buy things you can't afford. If you want something badly enough, you'll work your tail off, save money, and find a way to acquire it. Otherwise, you can't have it. There are no shortcuts, period.

The whole "Buy now, pay later" attitude has ruined an entire generation.
Well there's that, and the fact that he has no clue about the liability issues that would be involved in someone making the deal he is looking for. Either way, where are the fucking parents in this whole deal? Have they not taught the kid a damn thing about the costs and responsibility of car ownership? It's like they just took him out and got him his license and let him loose.

You should have posted it for $80. They wouldv'e offered you $60. Done deal.
Eh, not really. If you price things too high then you get emails from people telling you what an idiot you are for asking so much, or they just move on, or they just offer you whatever they were going to offer you if you had it priced at $60.

BTW there is no such thing as "firm pricing" on CL. If you want $60 list it for $70, that is what a logical person would do.
The fuck there isn't firm pricing, and I just explained why what you are suggesting doesn't work.

Phobia
02-15-2010, 10:34 PM
Eh, not really. If you price things too high then you get emails from people telling you what an idiot you are for asking so much, or they just move on, or they just offer you whatever they were going to offer you if you had it priced at $60.

There's a happy medium though. If you want $60 out of something and price it 10-20% higher to fudge for hagglers, you'll be fine. I think the emails start when you approach or are clearly over retail price on something.

You're not going to get a nastygram from somebody for pricing something at $80 when $60 is a reasonable price. They'll just offer $50 and arrive at $60-65....

Baconeater
02-15-2010, 10:48 PM
There's a happy medium though. If you want $60 out of something and price it 10-20% higher to fudge for hagglers, you'll be fine. I think the emails start when you approach or are clearly over retail price on something.

You're not going to get a nastygram from somebody for pricing something at $80 when $60 is a reasonable price. They'll just offer $50 and arrive at $60-65....
I don't know, I got a couple rude emails for my van last year even though I priced the damn thing at $800. Apparently some people think Caravans have no value if the transmissions haven't been freshly rebuilt. And I obviously wasn't asking too much because I ended up getting my full asking price within a few hours of placing the ad.

I also had an incident when I listed my table saw awhile back, apparently it has no value because it's almost 20 years old, even though it's a top of the line model that's hardly been used and is in immaculate condition.

Phobia
02-15-2010, 10:50 PM
People are stupid. You have to disregard the stupid ones and really pay attention to me.