PDA

View Full Version : General Politics My small contribution to the booming voice of the people

ClevelandBronco
02-15-2010, 01:24 AM
Earlier today I was given the opportunity to help shape the course of sport and commerce in and around the Mile High City when a pollster called to ask me a series of questions after ascertaining that I wasn't professionally involved in politics or the media.

Her questions revolved around the issue of whether a special taxing district should be allowed to extend its authority beyond the scheduled deadline for its dissolution. It had originally been given the authority to collect one penny in the form of sales tax for every $10 spent by consumers on items subject to such a tax. The revenue it has collected so far has been used to retire the cost of financing the construction of Coors Field, home of the privately held Colorado Rockies and precious little else.

I was given the choice of strongly supporting, somewhat supporting, somewhat opposing, strongly opposing, not knowing, or refusing to answer the question of whether this taxing authority should be granted longer life in order to do the same public service for the financing of one facility to be used by the National Western Stock Show and an additional facility to be used as a NASCAR venue. I chose to strongly oppose either measure.

The pollster then told me that the construction of these facilities would create 2,000 construction jobs (I strongly suspect that means that the taxing authority would create 1,900 jobs for illegal aliens and 100 jobs for various confused gringos who would be charged with trying to hide them when photographers showed up to record the projects' progress, but that's another matter.) She further told me that these facilities would inject untold millions of dollars into our local economy.

Once again she gave me a choice. Would those newly revealed facts make me much more likely, somewhat more likely, somewhat less likely or much less likely to vote in favor of the proposal? I told her that none of those new facts had caused me to change my mind. She advised me that my answer was not an option and that I had to choose one of hers. I pointed out that it would be impossible for me to be less likely to vote in favor of the measure, because there was already no way in hell I'd vote for it. However, she insisted on getting an answer that fit inside the the range of choices she was offering, so I nonsensically replied that I would be less likely to support the proposal.

She then told me that I had one last chance to support the continued existence of the taxing authority. She had language that suggested that the revenue could be directed to K-12 athletics instead of to the construction of facilities to benefit the National Western Stock Show and NASCAR. I remained steadfast in my opposition to the extension of the deadline for the authority to become a nonentity.

She then thanked me for my time and we parted on good terms.

Now, truth be told, I don't mind paying an additional penny of sales tax on every $10 worth of consumer goods that I purchase, and the benefits she described in regard to the jobs and revenue that would be generated by the proposed projects sound all very well and good if the nice young lady can be taken at her word. And while I'll admit that I did have a bit of a problem with the wording of the poll, I was able to get past my visceral reaction and answer somewhat faithfully.

The question that lingers in my mind is simply this: Can someone tell me what the hell is the difference between a five-technique and a seven-technique defensive lineman?

orange
02-15-2010, 01:43 AM
The question that lingers in my mind is simply this: Can someone tell me what the hell is the difference between a five-technique and a seven-technique defensive lineman?

It used to be about $3,000,000 per year, but the breaching of the Tyson Barrier has set that aside.

patteeu
02-15-2010, 08:53 AM
Did you insist that she define the word "authority" before giving her an answer?

Inspector
02-15-2010, 03:02 PM
I would have insisted she send me pictures of herself before I answered anything.

And those pictures might very well alter how I would respond.

Taco John
02-15-2010, 03:20 PM
I wonder if the tax authority was using tax dollars to conduct that dialer campaign.

Der Flöprer
02-15-2010, 03:34 PM
The 3-4 is a base personnel package – 3 lineman and four linebackers. From there though, there are so many different alignments and techniques that you just can't talk about “3-4” beyond it being a personnel package.

The NT might line up directly on the center, or just off the center, or in a gap, based on the technique.

In general, there is a major difference between a 3-4 and a 4-3. In the 4-3, lineman are generally meant to penetrate the offensive line, get to the ball carrier or sack the drop-back passer. It is about exploding off the ball, penetrating your gap (or beating the outside man if you are an end). For that reason, natural athletes are well suited for the 4-3; all you have to do is beat your block(s) with whatever speed, technique and power you have.

The 3-4 is about the linebackers. Generally, the 3-4 makes huge demands on the lineman to free up the linebackers to make plays. The 3-4 is more about reading and reacting – hesitating that crucial moment to see/feel where the play is headed and then flow to it

Here is a good summary of the different techniques in the 3-4:

DEFENSIVE TACKLE
The "2" Technique places the DT at the inside eye of the OG keying the Guard. Responsibilities are as follows:
#1=Defeat the Guard and pursue the play.
#2=Check for the Draw.
#3=Rush the drop pass passer.

The "3" Gap Technique aligns the Defensive Tackle (DT) in the gap between the Offensive Guard (OG) and Offensive Tackle (OT). The DT keys the movements of the OG and OT. Duties are as follows:
#1=Explode through the gap one to one and a half yards with the head up looking for the ball.
#2=If the gap is narrow make contact and read and react resisting the flow of the play.
#3=Look for the trap, then flow to the play.
#4=Rush the passer.

The "4" Technique (Strong Side) calls for the DT to line up head to head with the OT when a TE is present and key the actions of the OT. Responsibilities are:
#1=Defeat the OT and control both gaps.
#2=Rush the passer.
#3=Keep the OT off the LB.
#4=If the OT blocks down (inside) crash down on the OT's hip.
#5=Check for the Trap, then pursue the play.

The "5" Technique aligns the DT at the outside eye of the OT, keying first the TE, then the OT. Duties are:
#1=To keep the OT off the LB.
#2=DT can't be blocked singularly by the OT.
#3=Check for the Trap.
#4=Rush the pass.

The "5" Gap Technique places the DT squarely in the middle of the gap between the OT and TE. The DT keys the gap. If the gap is wide, penetrate one to one and a half yards head up and look for the ball. If the gap is narrow make contact, read and react, and resist offensive pressure. Flow to the play. Rush the passer.

The "Weak Side" Technique calls for the DT to line up at the inside eye (or head up with) the OT when no TE is present. The DT keys the OT with the primary objective of defeating the OT. Read and react responsibilities prevail.

The "7" Technique has the DT line up at the inside eye of the TE keying the OT. Duties are to smack (1) and read the TE. If the TE blocks, defeat the TE and find the ball. If the TE releases and the OT blocks down, close on the Trap. Otherwise, read and react.

The "X" Technique has the DT line head up with the OT. The key is the snap of the ball. At the snap of the ball, the Dt slams through the head of the OG.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Football-Instruction-2069/Football-Defensive-Line.htm

RJ
02-15-2010, 03:38 PM
My understanding is that the higher the technique number, the less statistics they should generate. A 7 technique, for instance, should never leave any sign of having been on the field. Even game film should not reveal their presence.

I hope that helps.

ClevelandBronco
02-16-2010, 01:14 AM
I wonder if the tax authority was using tax dollars to conduct that dialer campaign.

I'd count on it.

Guru
02-16-2010, 01:35 AM
You know, I used to wish I could get those calls. Then I started getting them. Then I realized no matter how you answer the questions, they will get the answer they need. I have since stopped participating in the polls.

Taco John
02-16-2010, 02:13 AM
My understanding is that the higher the technique number, the less statistics they should generate. A 7 technique, for instance, should never leave any sign of having been on the field. Even game film should not reveal their presence.

I hope that helps.

They're like ninjas that way.

Taco John
02-16-2010, 02:20 AM
You know, I used to wish I could get those calls. Then I started getting them. Then I realized no matter how you answer the questions, they will get the answer they need. I have since stopped participating in the polls.

I've found my way on a few polling databases. I had a similar experience to the one ClevelandBronco has, only with education. She acted agahst when I told her that I didn't want to raise taxes for schooling (she was very well trained - I could tell that she'd role played this probably a hundred times in whatever workshop they do to gear up for these calls). I looked for every option that I could to provide more support for parents who wanted vouchers for competitive schooling options, and you'd think that I told her I skinned live puppies. The script was designed to make me feel like an absolute heel for daring thinking that government didn't have all the solutions -- so sort of like a day on this forum.

I finally told her that I couldn't answer her questions because they were all designed to give power to the government rather than power to the people, politely thanked her for the call, and finished prepping dinner.

orange
02-16-2010, 05:14 PM
I've only been subjected to one push-poll. It was for some pay-to-view outfit or other.

I reported them as a no-call list violation.

Rain Man
02-22-2010, 09:33 AM
It wasn't me, just to confirm that. I don't do push polls.

And bless you for opposing continuation of taxes. People in Denver will vote for any tax you put in front of them. I've never seen anything like it. The only thing I can figure is that we must have passed the tipping point where there are more immigrants, poor people, and retirees who don't pay taxes than there are people who do pay taxes.