PDA

View Full Version : Computers WTF is this error

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-15-2010, 04:50 AM
So, something has been wrong with my internet service lately.

I can go to several websites, but a lot of popular ones will not load.

I can't go to Amazon, NewEgg, and now Google, if initiated from Firefox, redirects me to an error that says "Wiki Does not exist".

Google will work from Chrome.

Additionally, NewEgg, Google, etc. will not work in any other browser.

Could this be an ISP issue? malware?

I have KIS 2010, and it detects nothing. However, I cannot access the websites for malwarebytes or combofix. HiJackThis doesn't show anything peculiar.

I am thoroughly fucking confused.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-15-2010, 05:14 AM
I think I may have found the problem

I think it's part of Vundo/MS Juan.

I found a mirror that I could get MB from and it found an infection called malware.trace, which is supposedly part of the Vundo package.

Upon disinfection and restart, pages still won't load, however.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-15-2010, 06:44 AM
The plot thickens:

Did a second scan in MB, found nothing.

Did a registry search for keys common to Vundo infections...nothing.

Started up the HTPC (which hasn't been used since long before this recent Internet disturbance)...can't access the sites from there either.

Connected the desktop directly to the modem (bypassing the router)...nothing.

I'm starting to think that this is an ISP issue.

I have CenturyLink, FWIW, and they suck a monkey's nutsac.

Miles
02-15-2010, 07:05 AM
I was going to suggest that just blowing it up and starting with a fresh install might save you some effort but your dormant HTPC having the same issues is quite odd.

bevischief
02-15-2010, 07:12 AM
Nuke it from orbit...

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-15-2010, 07:13 AM
I was going to suggest that just blowing it up and starting with a fresh install might save you some effort but your dormant HTPC having the same issues is quite odd.

I'm gonna go on campus later today and access the sites from there. If I can get on them with the PC that I couldn't at home, then it's definitely ISP/modem related.

TrebMaxx
02-15-2010, 07:55 AM
My MIL has CenturyLink and has been having problems since Saturday. She has called in and was told there were issues in her area (Columbia). She also is having problems accessing certain sites. CenturyLink even called her yesterday morning and told they were still working on it. That is all I know for now.

patteeu
02-15-2010, 07:57 AM
I have CenturyLink, FWIW, and they suck a monkey's nutsac.

*sigh* I'm waiting for the day when CenturyLink reaches my house with DSL so I can ditch HughesNet satellite.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-15-2010, 08:04 AM
My MIL has CenturyLink and has been having problems since Saturday. She has called in and was told there were issues in her area (Columbia). She also is having problems accessing certain sites. CenturyLink even called her yesterday morning and told they were still working on it. That is all I know for now.

Thank you very much. It is as I had suspected. Rep to you.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-15-2010, 08:06 AM
*sigh* I'm waiting for the day when CenturyLink reaches my house with DSL so I can ditch HughesNet satellite.

You might look into wireless internet (WISP). My parents live out in BFE, and until recently only had Satellite as a broadband alternative. However, they were able to get wireless internet about 2 years ago. It's not great (1.5), but it's far better than Satellite, with much lower latency times.

patteeu
02-15-2010, 08:20 AM
You might look into wireless internet (WISP). My parents live out in BFE, and until recently only had Satellite as a broadband alternative. However, they were able to get wireless internet about 2 years ago. It's not great (1.5), but it's far better than Satellite, with much lower latency times.

I've checked into it in the past and the local company didn't have an antenna in my LOS without asking my neighbor to cut down all of his trees. It's worth checking to see if they've put up a new antenna though. Thanks for the suggestion.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-15-2010, 08:22 AM
I've checked into it in the past and the local company didn't have an antenna in my LOS without asking my neighbor to cut down all of his trees. It's worth checking to see if they've put up a new antenna though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Agent. Orange.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-15-2010, 09:57 AM
get yourself over to elitekiller.com download the toolkit call "Rogue Removal" and follow it's instruction guide. Take a couple of hours, but worth it.

beach tribe
02-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Damn. You break everything don't you?

J/K

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Fixed now.

Dumb fuck ISP got things up and running again.

Seriously, what the fuck is the major malfunction of a group who could fuck up so bad they could only take down half of your internet connection?

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Damn. You break everything don't you?

J/K

It is a long running joke with my friends that I have Martin Short in Pure Luck type fortuitousness when it comes to electronics. I take care of them, I know how to fix them, and invariably, they fuck me in the ass.

I don't clean with solvents, I ground myself before working with them, I don't stack components, I put everything in well ventilated areas, I run really good A/V security, I purchase extra fans and I keep them religiously free from dust...doesn't fucking matter.

Gone through 4 360s now and two original XBoxes
Lost a TV, Subwoofer, router, XBox and DVD recorder to lightning
Had to resolder the DC jack to a laptop thrice
Lost an HD-DVD player to fucktardation after less than a year
Had to have a new HDMI board put in my last TV because my fucking receiver would not communicate with it, but every other fucking TV on Earth.

That's just the outlandish shit. I've also had my fair share of regular burnouts Wireless Routers (2), Monitors (1), DVD players (2?), Receivers (1), Car CD players (2), Sirius Radios (1), Memory modules (too fucking many to count)

http://i45.tinypic.com/xnx02f.jpg

TrebMaxx
02-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Fixed now.

Dumb fuck ISP got things up and running again.

Seriously, what the fuck is the major malfunction of a group who could fuck up so bad they could only take down half of your internet connection?

This is good news for me. My MIL is in her seventies and doesn't really understand all the tech involved with computers, internet, etc. But she is addicted to her email, homepage and facebook. All three of which was part of the CenturyTel screw up. I being the techie in the family received way too many calls this weekend about those SOB's at CenturyTel, they lost my email contacts, lost all my friends on FB, on and on and wanted me to fix it. No matter how I tried to explain to her to be patient and wait for them to fix their network she would wait about an hour and call back about how upset she was. Funny thing about her facebook, she could still connect, it just wouldn't display images. She even made a comment on there about she was still without internet. That was good for a chuckle.