PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Democrats in full flege retreat... Evan Bayh to..

Chiefshrink
02-15-2010, 11:56 AM
RETIRE!!!!!

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/senate/evan-bayh-to-retire.html

HonestChieffan
02-15-2010, 11:59 AM
sweet

Bearcat2005
02-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Pence was going to beat him anyway.

VAChief
02-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Pence was going to beat him anyway.

I thought Pence had already withdrawn?

Bearcat2005
02-15-2010, 12:07 PM
I thought Pence had already withdrawn?

Did he? Last I checked he was leading Bayh in a poll.

Bearcat2005
02-15-2010, 12:07 PM
I guess it is up in the air.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0210/32973.html

donkhater
02-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Pence is in the House. Dan Coats and John Hostetler (sp?) have said they were going to run against Bayh.

My feeling is that he would have won re-election, but he has been getting hammered in the editorial pages here in Indy.

Chiefshrink
02-15-2010, 01:11 PM
Remember Bayh wants to run for Prez and does not want to be seen as an "Obama puppet" 'ASSUMING' things will still be "going south" for Obama come 2012. He knows he must seperate now from his perspective.

Also look for Hillary to make a significant political move in the near future as well.

Saul Good
02-15-2010, 01:11 PM
Well, Bayh.

Chief Henry
02-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Pence is in the House. Dan Coats and John Hostetler (sp?) have said they were going to run against Bayh.

My feeling is that he would have won re-election, but he has been getting hammered in the editorial pages here in Indy.

Whys he getting hammered in the newspapers ?

patteeu
02-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Well, Bayh.

Nicely done.

BucEyedPea
02-15-2010, 01:45 PM
It's gonna get even worse when the Rs aren't wanted exactly either.

donkhater
02-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Whys he getting hammered in the newspapers ?

People are calling him out for saying he is a fiscal conservative and still voting for these huge spending bills.

For instance, in one of th spending bills that recently came up, the Democrats were able to get a Republican or two to vote with them. When Bayh's name came up for his vote, he passed. Once the measure passed he voted against the bill.

People saw right through that sh!t.

donkhater
02-15-2010, 02:12 PM
As Governor he was hugely popular. Balanced the state budget and all that. I actually think he is fiscally conservative Democrat at heart.

I think the partisan tactics that he is talking about in Washington is the heat to vote the party line instead of what he believes. That only tells me he doesn't have the guts to do what is constituents want him to do. Indiana isn't going to send a tax and spend Senator to Washington any time soon.

Royal Fanatic
02-15-2010, 02:38 PM
I'd think more highly of Evan Bayh if he rebelled against Obama's fiscal policies and voted against them instead of running away.

He missed his chance to be the new "Maverick".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/morjana/08/maverick.jpg

Chief Henry
02-15-2010, 04:42 PM
People are calling him out for saying he is a fiscal conservative and still voting for these huge spending bills.

For instance, in one of th spending bills that recently came up, the Democrats were able to get a Republican or two to vote with them. When Bayh's name came up for his vote, he passed. Once the measure passed he voted against the bill.

People saw right through that sh!t.

Thank you.

RJ
02-16-2010, 07:41 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts1134/print

In an interview on MSNBC this morning, newly retiring Sen. Evan Bayh declared the American political system "dysfunctional," riddled with "brain-dead partisanship" and permanent campaigning. Flatly denying any possibility that he'd seek the presidency or any other higher office, Bayh argued that the American people needed to deliver a "shock" to Congress by voting incumbents out en masse and replacing them with people interested in reforming the process and governing for the good of the people, rather than deep-pocketed special-interest groups.
Bayh's announcement stunned the American political world, as up until just last week he looked to be well on his way to an easy reelection for a third term in the Senate, and his senior staff was aggressively pursuing that goal.

But Bayh had apparently become increasingly frustrated in the Senate. In this morning's interview he noted that just two weeks ago, Republicans who had co-sponsored a bill with him to rein in the deficit turned around and voted against it for purely political reasons. He also stated repeatedly that members of his own party should be more willing to settle for a compromise rather than holding out for perfection.

"Sometimes half a loaf is better than none," Bayh insisted.

It's no secret that the Senate has struggled to take action this year. With the two major parties unusually far apart in their substantive proposals for the direction of the country, even finding half a loaf to agree on has been difficult. Though the Democrats have had a substantial majority in the Senate for the last year, Republicans have escalated their threats to use filibusters (by forcing a cloture vote, see the graph below) to force Democrats to come up with 60 votes to pass any major legislation. And after Scott Brown's election to the Senate last month gave Republicans a 41st seat, health-care reform and other Democratic goals were stopped dead in their tracks.

(CLICK IMAGE FOR FULL VIEW)

Bayh blamed the current atmosphere of intense partisanship on the need for senators to constantly campaign to be reelected to another six-year term. Citing his father, a popular liberal senator in the '60s and '70s, he noted that "back in the day they used to have the saying: 'You campaign for 2 years and you legislate for 4.' Now you campaign for 6!" He noted that the need for constant fundraising made it nearly impossible to focus on passing legislation.
Frustration over the increasing amount of money being spent on political campaigns isn't exactly a new thing, as spending by candidates in the 2008 presidential election nearly quadrupled the amount of money spent by candidates in the 2000 election. Additionally, winners of House races in 2000 spent an average of $849,158 to do so, while House winners in 2008 spent an average of $1,372,591. Enhancing the concerns of many on the left and the right has been a recent Supreme Court decision to strike down the country's existing campaign finance laws. Put simply, the ruling opens the door for an even greater influence of money by allowing corporations spend money directly on campaigns.

Meanwhile, voter frustration is high, making the fight for campaign cash all the more crucial to politicians hoping to remain in office. A recent poll found that 44% of Americans believe incumbents should be voted out of office.
However, reforms of Congress appear unlikely. There doesn't appear to be any significant momentum at this time behind efforts to change the rules that govern passing legislation or Congress's need to constantly campaign and fundraise. With an election year beginning, it's also unlikely that congressional leaders will begin to see eye to eye more often on major legislation.

Perhaps a "shock" is indeed called for in order to change that.

Reaper16
02-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Well, Bayh.
Jolly good!

Saul Good
02-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Jolly good!

Can't help but wonder if I should have just gone with:

Reaper16
02-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Can't help but wonder if I should have just gone with:
HE'S ON FI-ER! /NBA Jam