PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Dish Network

Dunit35
02-15-2010, 02:11 PM
Anybody have dish?

Just got it last week and love it thus far.

and does anybody want five off a month for five months?

Lzen
02-15-2010, 10:41 PM
I have had Dish Network for over 5 years now. I love it.

tymania
02-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Anybody have dish?

Just got it last week and love it thus far.

and does anybody want five off a month for five months?

only complaint is the DVR.. doesnt do two recordings on one TV at the same time.. if you are recording two things at once the second recording you are forced to watch on TV2 and the first recording you are forced to watch on TV1.. if you know of a way to set it up so that both recordings reside on TV 1 it would be greatly appreciated

Lzen
02-16-2010, 03:04 PM
only complaint is the DVR.. doesnt do two recordings on one TV at the same time.. if you are recording two things at once the second recording you are forced to watch on TV2 and the first recording you are forced to watch on TV1.. if you know of a way to set it up so that both recordings reside on TV 1 it would be greatly appreciated

You can start the recording and then play it from there...essentially watching something you're recording from the same set.

tymania
02-17-2010, 10:43 AM
You can start the recording and then play it from there...essentially watching something you're recording from the same set.

True, but you cant go to, TV two and watch something completely different than the two things you are recording.. ya know what i mean?

Chazno
02-17-2010, 12:34 PM
True, but you cant go to, TV two and watch something completely different than the two things you are recording.. ya know what i mean?

You have a dual - tuner receiver, which means you can only watch/record two live shows at any time. If you wanted to watch another live show, while recording 2 others you'd need a third tuner.

The only company that I know of with more than 2 tuner DVRs is Uverse by At&t. It will record 4 feeds, two HD, two SD.

With Dish the best you can do is Record to feeds and watch two different shows off your DVR at the same time UNLESS you have an OTA antenna. If you have an OTA your receiver will essentially treat it as a 3rd tuner.

kepp
02-17-2010, 12:38 PM
You have a dual - tuner receiver, which means you can only watch/record two live shows at any time. If you wanted to watch another live show, while recording 2 others you'd need a third tuner.

The only company that I know of with more than 2 tuner DVRs is Uverse by At&t. It will record 4 feeds, two HD, two SD.

With Dish the best you can do is Record to feeds and watch two different shows off your DVR at the same time UNLESS you have an OTA antenna. If you have an OTA your receiver will essentially treat it as a 3rd tuner.

So I have an OTA, but I run it directly into the TV. Is there any advantage to running the OTA into the Dish DVR? Can the Dish DVRs record from the OTA input?

Chazno
02-17-2010, 12:44 PM
So I have an OTA, but I run it directly into the TV. Is there any advantage to running the OTA into the Dish DVR? Can the Dish DVRs record from the OTA input?

I'm pretty sure, although I don't think I ever tried. My OTA is hit and miss so I never wanted to rely on it. The nice thing is it brings the channels into the guide

Lzen
02-17-2010, 02:31 PM

Yes, it can. I have an OTA antenna, as well. I totally forgot to mention that aspect. So, I can record 2 shows and watch a 3rd if I wanted. Mine runs through the Dish receiver. It records programs from the OTA antenna with no problem. Although for some reason the timer I kept setting up for Chiefs games last season kept disappearing and I had to manually set it up the day of the game. :cuss:

The only advantage I could see to hooking it up directly to your TV is if you want to watch picture in picture. If your PIP is anything like mine, you can only watch PIP from 2 different type sources (ex. HDMI & Component). Mt TVs PIP won't allow me to watch PIP from 2 different channels of the Dish receiver or from 2 of the same type source (can't watch HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 via PIP).

DMAC
02-17-2010, 02:34 PM
I might let Dish shine my shoes. I got Directv, blood.

kepp
02-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Yes, it can. I have an OTA antenna, as well. I totally forgot to mention that aspect. So, I can record 2 shows and watch a 3rd if I wanted. Mine runs through the Dish receiver. It records programs from the OTA antenna with no problem. Although for some reason the timer I kept setting up for Chiefs games last season kept disappearing and I had to manually set it up the day of the game. :cuss:

The only advantage I could see to hooking it up directly to your TV is if you want to watch picture in picture. If your PIP is anything like mine, you can only watch PIP from 2 different type sources (ex. HDMI & Component). Mt TVs PIP won't allow me to watch PIP from 2 different channels of the Dish receiver or from 2 of the same type source (can't watch HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 via PIP).

Very interesting. I'm gonna try that out.

Donger
02-17-2010, 06:19 PM
I'm getting ready to fire Dish after being a customer for 11 years. Beware software upgrades on the 722. Beware.

Ralphy Boy
02-17-2010, 08:44 PM
I've had both Dish & Directv. Like Dish better, though their equipment has a LOT more problems. I never had to replace a receiver with Directv, but their customer service was horrible. Dish has far better customer service but I've had to replace both tuners.

Regarding the recording of more than two programs at once, I had the same problem, so I'm upgrading from a regular tuner to another DVR for the master bedroom.

There are programs the wife and I watch and programs the whole family watches, so I'll record the programs the two of us watch in our bedroom.

tymania
02-18-2010, 08:04 AM
I've had both Dish & Directv. Like Dish better, though their equipment has a LOT more problems. I never had to replace a receiver with Directv, but their customer service was horrible. Dish has far better customer service but I've had to replace both tuners.

Regarding the recording of more than two programs at once, I had the same problem, so I'm upgrading from a regular tuner to another DVR for the master bedroom.

There are programs the wife and I watch and programs the whole family watches, so I'll record the programs the two of us watch in our bedroom.
how much are they charging you for a 2nd dvr? if you dont mind i ask..

kepp
02-18-2010, 08:22 AM

I had the exact opposite experience as far as equipment goes. DirecTV's DVR was junk and Dish's has been flawless.

Lzen
02-18-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm getting ready to fire Dish after being a customer for 11 years. Beware software upgrades on the 722. Beware.

I have the 722. No problems with it. I had problems with the first one they sent me, but they sent out a new one right away. I have had it for 2.5 years now and no problems. What software upgrades? Was this an automatic thing?

Donger
02-18-2010, 10:02 AM
I have the 722. No problems with it. I had problems with the first one they sent me, but they sent out a new one right away. I have had it for 2.5 years now and no problems. What software upgrades? Was this an automatic thing?

Yes, it's automatic. Since my 722 went from 6.18 to 6.22, I have to reboot the damn thing every morning. I suspect it's an HDMI issue. But, it was fine before the upgrade.

Lzen
02-18-2010, 10:06 AM
Yes, it's automatic. Since my 722 went from 6.18 to 6.22, I have to reboot the damn thing every morning. I suspect it's an HDMI issue. But, it was fine before the upgrade.

Huh. Strange. Now I have to check mine to see if the software version. I'm sure its up to date. You should call them and get it replaced.

Donger
02-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Huh. Strange. Now I have to check mine to see if the software version. I'm sure its up to date. You should call them and get it replaced.

I already have twice. I asked them to send me a 722 with 6.18 and not to update it (twice). They refuse (or can't). As soon as it updates to something newer than 6.18, it takes a dump.

I'm done. DirecTV here I come.