PDA

View Full Version : Other Games Playing Chess Online

Donger
02-15-2010, 01:29 PM
After playing chess like a junkie for years, I got bored playing and stopped about ten years ago. My boy has now taken up the game and it's gotten my juices flowing again. So, I'm looking for a site online to play while I travel.

Can anyone recommend a place?

Thanks.

DMAC
02-15-2010, 01:34 PM
I use Deep Green, the iphone app that used to be an app on the old Newton.

If there is an online version of Deep Green, that is what I would suggest.

Pants
02-15-2010, 01:35 PM
I mean, there's yahoo! chess...

Demonpenz
02-15-2010, 02:15 PM
jeez I would like to see some of the smart guys on here place chess, well not really see just hear who won and why.

Silock
02-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Shredder Chess on the iPhone/iPod is a great one, too.

Donger
02-15-2010, 02:18 PM
jeez I would like to see some of the smart guys on here place chess, well not really see just hear who won and why.

Probably either a checkmate or resignation.

Halfcan
02-15-2010, 02:32 PM
i loved playing chess online-except every time I would get enough points to be a Master-I would do something dumb and lose.

Iowanian
02-15-2010, 02:33 PM
I know the basics of chess, wish I knew more, but don't know the first thing about running the Chess version of the 65 toss power trap.

QuikSsurfer
02-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Anyone remember GamesDomain? Yahoo bought it years ago, but it was the shit for online gaming.
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/jagex/images/7/7c/Games_Domain_Castle.png

JohnnyV13
02-15-2010, 02:40 PM
depends what you play. Most online games are casual games played by blitz rules. Most sites, about the longest game you'll get is 10 minutes on each clock.

MSN has an active online chess site. So does Yahoo.

As for computer chess programs, I prefer chessmaster, b/c it has a lot of interactive instructional stuff.

Donger, if your kid is interested in chess, there is a great site about how to achieve a 1900 chess ranking. Just google search 1900 and chess, that site will be the no 1 hit.

It primary provides a whole bunch of chess position puzzles, on the premise that by solving these things quickly, you'll build a library of position recognition in your mind, which will create rapid improvement in your play. After the success of the Polgar sisters using this training method, most every serious chess coach utilizes some form of position recognition training.

Donger
02-15-2010, 03:12 PM
depends what you play. Most online games are casual games played by blitz rules. Most sites, about the longest game you'll get is 10 minutes on each clock.

MSN has an active online chess site. So does Yahoo.

As for computer chess programs, I prefer chessmaster, b/c it has a lot of interactive instructional stuff.

Donger, if your kid is interested in chess, there is a great site about how to achieve a 1900 chess ranking. Just google search 1900 and chess, that site will be the no 1 hit.

It primary provides a whole bunch of chess position puzzles, on the premise that by solving these things quickly, you'll build a library of position recognition in your mind, which will create rapid improvement in your play. After the success of the Polgar sisters using this training method, most every serious chess coach utilizes some form of position recognition training.

Thank you for the advice. I don't want the little turd to have a 1900 ranking, though. At least not yet.

JohnnyV13
02-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Thank you for the advice. I don't want the little turd to have a 1900 ranking, though. At least not yet.

well...most little turds won't have the diligence to spend 1/2 hour a day with chess puzzles, so I wouldn't worry about it. BUT that site also has links to simple opening theory instruction and endgame stuff that you'll need to achieve ranking levels.

To really teach a kid right...you need to get him interested in playing out endgame stuff rather than playing games.

I know it sounds counter intuitive, but there's a reason. First of all, its easier for a beginner to deal with far fewer peices on the board. Secondly, beginning players are often not very good and checkmating their opponents. Learning endgame stuff means the games will end.

Finally, endgame play is the base upon which a good player is built. Sound players won't run each other over quickly, and usually they'll have to grind it out in the endgame. At higher levels, a sound endgame foundation gives you the ability to foresee the likely endgames and try to play for the best achieveable ending.

I know this, because my game was not built at all correctly. I simply played games and was much stronger than most of my friends. Consequently, I've got a strong opening and can usually beat most people in the mid game. I have a weak endgame, because as a kid, i never really needed to get into it.

That bad formation as a player makes me much weaker than I should be. I can put truly strong players in tough games for quite a while, but I usually fall apart when the midgame transitions to the endgame. I don't project well from the midgame and they usually get me in a losing endgame.

Bi_polar
02-15-2010, 03:55 PM
After playing chess like a junkie for years, I got bored playing and stopped about ten years ago. My boy has now taken up the game and it's gotten my juices flowing again. So, I'm looking for a site online to play while I travel.

Thanks.

What about your poker habit?

Donger
02-15-2010, 04:01 PM
What about your poker habit?

I've won ~$69,000 today playing something called "Black Jack." It's fun.

Donger
02-15-2010, 04:02 PM
well...most little turds won't have the diligence to spend 1/2 hour a day with chess puzzles, so I wouldn't worry about it. BUT that site also has links to simple opening theory instruction and endgame stuff that you'll need to achieve ranking levels.

To really teach a kid right...you need to get him interested in playing out endgame stuff rather than playing games.

I know it sounds counter intuitive, but there's a reason. First of all, its easier for a beginner to deal with far fewer peices on the board. Secondly, beginning players are often not very good and checkmating their opponents. Learning endgame stuff means the games will end.

Finally, endgame play is the base upon which a good player is built. Sound players won't run each other over quickly, and usually they'll have to grind it out in the endgame. At higher levels, a sound endgame foundation gives you the ability to foresee the likely endgames and try to play for the best achieveable ending.

I know this, because my game was not built at all correctly. I simply played games and was much stronger than most of my friends. Consequently, I've got a strong opening and can usually beat most people in the mid game. I have a weak endgame, because as a kid, i never really needed to get into it.

That bad formation as a player makes me much weaker than I should be. I can put truly strong players in tough games for quite a while, but I usually fall apart when the midgame transitions to the endgame. I don't project well from the midgame and they usually get me in a losing endgame.

Again, my thanks. End game was always hard for me, too.

JohnnyV13
02-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Again, my thanks. End game was always hard for me, too.

And it shouldn't be. There are less peices and far fewer possibilities. Openings and midgames are just easier b/c we've seen more of them and identify the tactical traps quicker.

Silock
02-15-2010, 04:21 PM
I always try to trade pieces as quickly as possible. Gets you to the endgame more quickly and that's where most people suck.

JohnnyV13
02-15-2010, 06:37 PM
I always try to trade pieces as quickly as possible. Gets you to the endgame more quickly and that's where most people suck.

It will help you with players like me, but that tactic will hurt you with most really good players. With them, they are more likely to make a blunder in the mid game (even GM's will make blunders in casual blitz games).

Rain Man
02-15-2010, 10:01 PM
About 10 years ago I would regularly play chess on the msn games site. This was before I found chiefsplanet, I think.

I finally quit because more than half the games would be against idiots who would close their browser if they were losing so it wouldn't record the loss, or against cheaters who had hacked the clock to give themselves more time. It was a disappointing interaction more often than not.

Jack
02-16-2010, 07:19 AM

Thanks.

About 12 yeas ago well before this site, the donks had a fairly decent web page. After some innocuous goading, I got them to set up a page just for chess enthusiasts. It went well until the site vaporized.

I played this one fellow who knew basic moves and he was far too good to be that advanced. He finally admitted he was using a chess program. I really didn't mind as I won all the games.

Can the purveyors of this site set aside a page just for chess? It would be a lot of fun. Seems to me there may be enough interest in this.

Chess has been unparalleled in the history of games. It is a thinkers game and not unlike life itself.

Msmith
02-16-2010, 07:29 AM
End game stuffs to many people are boring. They prefer the splashy openings, the brilliant combination, the jaw-dropping sacrifice, and the unrelenting mating attack.

Yet mastering the end game is the solid building blocks for chess, like a good offensive line to a football team.