PDA

View Full Version : Life OMG: 1000 posts here I come...


wutamess
02-15-2010, 10:10 PM
This is an excellent 47 minute long video. It's based off the older brown eyed blue eyed documentary done in the 60's.

Basically it goes to show people how we (black people) feel like we have to "play the game" to get by.

Of course YOU aren't the one's that enslaved us etc, and YOU may not be a racist but this is an excellent way to see how disadvantaged and how many obstacles we have when it comes to succeeding in life.

Here's the vid.
http://www.megavideo.com/?v=G6E0188O

Please watch it with an open mind and maybe see that we kinda have a point to feel that way instead of trying to defend how you're treated as we are.

petegz28
02-15-2010, 10:14 PM
you people????

/jk

milkman
02-15-2010, 10:16 PM
47 minutes?

Are you fucking crazy?

ChiTown
02-15-2010, 10:18 PM
ROFL

Pass.

MoreLemonPledge
02-15-2010, 10:20 PM
TL;DW

wutamess
02-15-2010, 10:21 PM
47 minutes?

Are you ****ing crazy?

It's a short 47 mins... I was hoping it was longer as its ends really quick.

Der Flöprer
02-15-2010, 10:22 PM
This is an excellent 47 minute long video. It's based off the older brown eyed blue eyed documentary done in the 60's.

Basically it goes to show you people how we (black people) feel like we have to "play the game" to get by.

Of course YOU aren't the one's that enslaved us etc, and YOU may not be a racist but this is an excellent way to see how disadvantaged we are when ti comes to succeeding in certain situations.

Here's the vid.
http://www.megavideo.com/?v=G6E0188O

Please watch ti with an open mind that we kinda have a point to feel that way instead of trying to defend how you're treated as we are.

I'm gonna watch it Rog. I'll let you know what I think. You're a pretty even keeled guy that is willing to look at the situation from every side. You're perfect for this type of conversation.

Baconeater
02-15-2010, 10:26 PM
If this thread reaches 1,000 posts, it's going to be because 995 of the posts are saying this:
47 minutes?

Are you ****ing crazy?

wutamess
02-15-2010, 10:31 PM
If this thread reaches 1,000 posts, it's going to be because 995 of the posts are saying this:

The few that will actually take the time and watch will love it and those few will make it 1000...
IT'S THAT GOOD!

Waaaaait foooooor it...

Phobia
02-15-2010, 10:35 PM
If this thread reaches 1,000 posts, it's going to be because 995 of the posts are saying this:

Heh. Excellent take.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-15-2010, 10:39 PM
No way this makes it to 1K without invoking White Man's Burden.

Ebolapox
02-15-2010, 10:44 PM
yeah, I'll watch it eventually (if I don't get caught up by my short attention span)

wutamess
02-15-2010, 10:48 PM
yeah, I'll watch it eventually (if I don't get caught up by my short attention span)

It's a really good watch... your attention is kept from start to finsih. I was going to have it playing in the background while I surf with other tabs but I couldn't do it. It's that good.

Rain Man
02-15-2010, 10:55 PM
No way this makes it to 1K without invoking White Man's Burden.


11 posts, to be exact.


I read an article about this, I bet. Is this the teacher somewhere in the south who divided up her students? Interesting stuff, and shows how dangerous children can be.

wutamess
02-15-2010, 10:56 PM
11 posts, to be exact.


I read an article about this, I bet. Is this the teacher somewhere in the south who divided up her students? Interesting stuff, and shows how dangerous children can be.

Yeah but it's done in a 2009 Britain setting with grown ups.

Rain Man
02-15-2010, 11:04 PM
Yeah but it's done in a 2009 Britain setting with grown ups.


Ah, okay.

If I can carve out an extra 49 minutes (bathroom break in the middle), I'll watch it.

Phobia
02-15-2010, 11:10 PM
I'm not watching it. Those people want my credit card to watch stuff on their site. I value race relations but I'm not giving my credit card number out for one of those "we won't charge it as long as you cancel your trial membership" scams.

Der Flöprer
02-15-2010, 11:15 PM
This is outstanding so far. I'm about 16 minutes in. It's really just getting started.

Der Flöprer
02-15-2010, 11:16 PM
I'm not watching it. Those people want my credit card to watch stuff on their site. I value race relations but I'm not giving my credit card number out for one of those "we won't charge it as long as you cancel your trial membership" scams.

I didn't have to sign up for anything. The first time I clicked it they tried. But I closed it and tried again and it just started right up.

Bi_polar
02-15-2010, 11:17 PM
No way this makes it to 1K without invoking White Man's Burden.

and it ain't white-boy day.

wutamess
02-15-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm not watching it. Those people want my credit card to watch stuff on their site. I value race relations but I'm not giving my credit card number out for one of those "we won't charge it as long as you cancel your trial membership" scams.

Phil's stealing his neighbors wireless connection and he has Antivirus 2009 (malware which tricks you into thinking you have a virus so you can purchase their product) on it which redirects all his links.

Bearcat
02-15-2010, 11:55 PM
I've watched 5 minutes and all I can say is that I'm brown and I'm okay with this....

Der Flöprer
02-16-2010, 12:00 AM
That was great. I loved the angle that she took. I was more than a little surprised at just how things broke down between the "groups". People should definitely take the time to watch it.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 12:03 AM
That was great. I loved the angle that she took. I was more than a little surprised at just how things broke down between the "groups". People should definitely take the time to watch it.

What pissed me off was the traitor. I wanted to see the results in their entirety as the experiment was intended.

Der Flöprer
02-16-2010, 12:06 AM
What pissed me off was the traitor. I wanted to see the results in their entirety as the experiment was intended.

Yeah. It was interesting watching her rationalization to it as well. She was crying for fuck's sake. Why? 2 hours of someone's life, and it's that fucking dramatic to you? Privileged fucks. Boo hoo.

Der Flöprer
02-16-2010, 12:07 AM
There was almost this attitude of "Why should we have to go through this for one second?"

HELLO?!?!?!?!?!? Try 400 fucking years.

KC native
02-16-2010, 12:08 AM
good video but i bet it barely musters 500. The video is too long for those with the attention span of a gnat.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 12:09 AM
good video but i bet it barely musters 500. The video is took long for those with the attention span of a gnat.

I got faith in 1000.
Once Mic gets on here and argues with everyone about social inequalities and then the burdened white men argue that they're in the same boat as us as they've personally never done anything to us (while still not getting IT) and they think affirmative Action is reversed racism yada yada yada this'll reach 1k post in no time.

Phobia
02-16-2010, 12:25 AM
Affirmative Action isn't reverse racism - it's guilty white guy trying to force change upon white America. You can't FORCE anybody to change their minds any more than you can force them to stop smoking. They make the choice. They open their minds.

Tylerthigpen!1!
02-16-2010, 12:47 AM
grrr. It's saying i have already watched 72 minutes of video. Guess that's what I get with community internet. Anybody want to give me a tldw?

stumppy
02-16-2010, 12:58 AM
All I'm getting is the Megavideo site with a button that says 'Push to Play" it links to another site.



You haven't started your own internet porn site and are just trying to increase traffic are you mess ?

wutamess
02-16-2010, 01:03 AM
push play once and it brings up a popup.
Close the popup and push play again it'll then load the vid for you.
Not my doing.

MikeMaslowski
02-16-2010, 01:04 AM
Here, I can get you a thousand posts.

****Extremely NSFW*****

Video Link Removed upon request.


My wife would shank me.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 01:06 AM
Here, I can get you a thousand posts.

****Extremely NSFW*****

My wife would shank me.

Thanks for the assist But that vid really has no place here. Please remove it.

Phobia
02-16-2010, 01:16 AM
It's a really well-meaning video, wutamess. I want to know what you people are going to do about it.

Ari Chi3fs
02-16-2010, 01:22 AM
...some of my best friends are black.

TrickyNicky
02-16-2010, 01:57 AM
To be honest, I was expecting a kumbyeya ending or revelation. Still an interesting experiment in human nature.

You should also check out info on the Stanford prison experiment.

Saggysack
02-16-2010, 03:05 AM
I think her "experiment" is slightly outdated and rudimentary that fails to address the nuances of why people of all racial backgrounds are, or are not racist. To this woman you're either a racist, or a racist. There was no either-or proposition. There were no gray areas. And with the failures to address that I think her lesson is somewhat lacking.

Having said that, I completely agree with her unapologetic stance she takes on racism in society.

TrickyNicky
02-16-2010, 03:07 AM
I think her "experiment" is slightly outdated and rudimentary that fails to address the nuances of why people of all racial backgrounds are, or are not racist. To this woman you're either a racist, or a racist. There was no either-or proposition. There were no gray areas. And with the failures to address that I think her lesson is somewhat lacking.

Having said that, I completely agree with her unapologetic stance she takes on racism in society.

I see what you're getting at. You're a racist.

Over-Head
02-16-2010, 03:10 AM
Thread lost it's burst at 39 posts :shake:

Saggysack
02-16-2010, 03:54 AM
I see what you're getting at. You're a racist.

But I didn't have a choice. I didn't ask to be born white.

stumppy
02-16-2010, 04:22 AM
But I didn't have a choice. I didn't ask to be born white.


Same ole same ole with you people. These excuses are getting pretty tired.

tyton75
02-16-2010, 06:30 AM
Roger, you crack me up you racist MF'er :)

phisherman
02-16-2010, 06:35 AM
geez roger...

RJ
02-16-2010, 07:32 AM
I don't have an extra hour to watch the video, but I thought I'd contribute to Roger's goal of 1K posts. It's the least I can do, which is my usual contribution.

Kerberos
02-16-2010, 08:00 AM
Just got done watching it.

That was pretty informative.

Lady has a strong statement for everyone out there that thinks they know how anyone on a different side of the fence feels.

Kerberos
02-16-2010, 08:01 AM
But I didn't have a choice. I didn't ask to be born white.

Affirmative Action made the choice for you no matter whether you were qualified to be white or not.

Duck Dog
02-16-2010, 08:05 AM
Of course YOU aren't the one's that enslaved us etc

You were enslaved?

wild1
02-16-2010, 08:26 AM
I'm going to have to charge you the normal hourly rate if you want 47 minutes of my time.

InChiefsHell
02-16-2010, 09:28 AM
I watched this in Psychology class in 10th grade...in 1986. I believe it was on Oprah, as I recall. 20+ years later, it's still an interesting experiment.

I used to be quite the long hair back in the late 80's and early 90's. Went into a convenient store up in North Omaha, which is the "black" area of town. Talk about getting the stare down and the cold shoulder. All I wanted was a pack of smokes, and the dude behind the counter would barely acknowledge my existence.

A few years ago, I went to take my son in to get a haircut. There was a new place that opened called the Scraggly Head. Me being the stupid white guy that I am, I guess it's a reference to a black person's haircut or something. In any case, I walk in there and there is the barber cutting one kid's hair while the rest of the guys (about 4 or 5) are just sitting around bs-ing. I sat down and waited. After noticing that the dude was not really even cutting this kids hair (he was pretty much shaved head and he was cutting some lines on the side) I realized that this dude had no intention of serving us. Finally I got up and said I couldn't wait any longer. He apologized for being so "busy".

Just a glimpse into what it must be like for black people in certain situations.

Duck Dog
02-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Yeah, one time my buddy and I were driving in downtown KCMO, bar hoping because we were underage and could get into any city bar. Anyway, I got pulled over by a KCMO cop in my Trans Am. He told us to get our Johnson County ass's back to OP.

Sometimes you find yourself in places or circumstances in which you just don't belong.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 10:09 AM
I think her "experiment" is slightly outdated and rudimentary that fails to address the nuances of why people of all racial backgrounds are, or are not racist. To this woman you're either a racist, or a racist. There was no either-or proposition. There were no gray areas. And with the failures to address that I think her lesson is somewhat lacking.

Having said that, I completely agree with her unapologetic stance she takes on racism in society.

I think you're still missing the point. She gave you a first hand look at how we have to go through our ENTIRE LIFE with a disadvantage from birth because of our skin color. It doesn't matter if YOU personally are a racist...

The society we live in is racist to an extent which makes it harder for minorities to thrive. Of course there are exceptions to the rule but the way the system is already in place it's a breeding ground for failure for minorities.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Same ole same ole with you people. These excuses are getting pretty tired.

Did you even watch the video... if you can't understand what we go through after watching that video you're just as clueless as the teacher that tried to compare her white husband to the black father that wouldn't pick his daughter up in the all white school because it'd be used against her.

Dave Lane
02-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Affirmative Action isn't reverse racism - it's guilty white guy trying to force change upon white America. You can't FORCE anybody to change their minds any more than you can force them to stop smoking. They make the choice. They open their minds.

No its giving a person that is disadvantaged a chance to escape those circumstances.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 10:12 AM
You were enslaved?

If you're not going to watch the video and be ignorant about it then why make stupid comments? In a sense, if we're still prejudged, held back and still have to fight to be equal I guess we're still enslaved to a different extent.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 10:14 AM
It's a really well-meaning video, wutamess. I want to know what you people are going to do about it.

Are you really serious? The teacher asked the same thing and it was decided that that was her defense mechanism to try to pin the problem on us when we haven't created the problem.

phisherman
02-16-2010, 10:15 AM
you confuse me roger. on one hand, you talk about how well things have gone for you in general, and then you turn into the angry brother.

pick a stereotype and stick with it! :) you know you're my buddy either way. and a heck of a disc golfer!

wutamess
02-16-2010, 10:16 AM
Affirmative Action made the choice for you no matter whether you were qualified to be white or not.

As I've said before, it's the fairest way to give minorities a fighting chance in an already tilted society ran by white people of power. Not a racist statement... it is what it is.

stumppy
02-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Did you even watch the video... if you can't understand what we go through after watching that video you're just as clueless as the teacher that tried to compare her white husband to the black father that wouldn't pick his daughter up in the all white school because it'd be used against her.

Chill out man, I was joking around.


Now tell me more about this daughter and what she likes used on...uh, against her.

Dave Lane
02-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Its pretty easy to pick out the racists in this thread. Roger you just trying to flush 'em out?

wutamess
02-16-2010, 10:20 AM
you confuse me roger. on one hand, you talk about how well things have gone for you in general, and then you turn into the angry brother.

pick a stereotype and stick with it! :) you know you're my buddy either way. and a heck of a disc golfer!

Dude... Things go well for me and countless other minorities... I'm not angry black man. We've had this discussion numerous times on here.

The video is mainly for the people in general that doesn't get a sense of what we actually go through on a daily basis and then try to marginalize our struggles to be considered and treated as equals.

I'm always surrounded by whites and I'm usually the token black guy as there's not many of us in IT period. I have no problem with white people but it doesn't mean that I'm not aware of what I have or other minorities have to do to excel.

It's like this... whites don't have to do near as much as minorities do to get by. We have to jump higher... score better... be light skinned... talk white... etc. It's a game all minorities play.

Not racist... just telling it like it is.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Its pretty easy to pick out the racists in this thread. Roger you just trying to flush 'em out?

Trust me... vailpass and co will be in here shortly. Nothing surprises me anymore in here.

MikeMaslowski
02-16-2010, 10:22 AM
As I've said before, it's the fairest way to give minorities a fighting chance in an already tilted society ran by white people of power. Not a racist statement... it is what it is.

No, AA is outdated and silly. Get a job on your merits and qualifications, it is what it is.

Donger
02-16-2010, 10:23 AM
It's like this... whites don't have to do near as much as minorities do to get by. We have to jump higher... score better... be light skinned... talk white... etc. It's a game all minorities play.

Not racist... just telling it like it is.

Could you provide some real-life examples?

Von Dumbass
02-16-2010, 10:24 AM
The USA has a black president.

MikeMaslowski
02-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Wutamess, it appears that you are just slinging shit to make your goal. I really attempted to take a humorous look at this but you are lost.

blaise
02-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Dude... Things go well for me and countless other minorities... I'm not angry black man. We've had this discussion numerous times on here.

The video is mainly for the people in general that doesn't get a sense of what we actually go through on a daily basis and then try to marginalize our struggles to be considered and treated as equals.

I'm always surrounded by whites and I'm usually the token black guy as there's not many of us in IT period. I have no problem with white people but it doesn't mean that I'm not aware of what I have or other minorities have to do to excel.

It's like this... whites don't have to do near as much as minorities do to get by. We have to jump higher... score better... be light skinned... talk white... etc. It's a game all minorities play.

Not racist... just telling it like it is.

Pardon the pun, but that's a pretty black and white way of looking at things. I'm sure there's plenty of black people who grow up with advantages other white people don't.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Could you provide some real-life examples?

I can't order some fuggin chicken at company dinners :cuss:. I don't eat red meat and pork but I don't want to feed into the stereotypes of all we eat is chicken, greens and other soul foods.

I have to tip more to change the perception of black people don't tip.

Like the guy in the video, I have to try my best to bring out whiteness in my voice when talking to be taken seriously.

Like the video subtle differences but they're there.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 10:27 AM
Wutamess, it appears that you are just slinging shit to make your goal. I really attempted to take a humorous look at this but you are lost.

Dude... I don't really care about to 1k posts. I'm telling what we go through. You can either paint us as the victim as the video did or you can try to understand... it's really that simple.

Donger
02-16-2010, 10:27 AM
I can't order some fuggin chicken at company dinners :cuss:. I don't eat red meat and pork but I don't want to feed into the stereotypes of all we eat is chicken, greens and other soul foods.

I have to tip more to change the perception of black people don't tip.

Like the guy in the video, I have to try my best to bring out whiteness in my voice when talking to be taken seriously.

Like the video subtle differences but they're there.

That's it? Really?

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I won't play basketball or attempt to dance in public.

MikeMaslowski
02-16-2010, 10:28 AM
I can't order some fuggin chicken at company dinners :cuss:. I don't eat red meat and pork but I don't want to feed into the stereotypes of all we eat is chicken, greens and other soul foods.

I have to tip more to change the perception of black people don't tip.

Like the guy in the video, I have to try my best to bring out whiteness in my voice when talking to be taken seriously.

Like the video subtle differences but they're there.


Sounds like you are insecure and blaming it on white people.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Pardon the pun, but that's a pretty black and white way of looking at things. I'm sure there's plenty of black people who grow up with advantages other white people don't.

True as there's exceptions to rules. I wonder what the ratio is?
You're picking the exception not the rule. Great way to look at it. NOT!

Donger
02-16-2010, 10:31 AM
True as there's exceptions to rules. I wonder what the ratio is?
You're picking the exception not the rule. Great way to look at it. NOT!

What would you like us white people to do? Stop breeding so you black people can catch up or something?

Why not look at the exceptions and emulate their success, instead of looking at the norm and complaining about it?

blaise
02-16-2010, 10:31 AM
True as there's exceptions to rules. I wonder what the ratio is?
You're picking the exception not the rule. Great way to look at it. NOT!

"NOT!" Really? Now you're creating the stereotype that you're lame.
You don't seem like you came in here looking for any discussion at all. It seems like you just want people to validate your feelings and if they don't you're getting upset.
Great way to look at it! NOT!

wutamess
02-16-2010, 10:31 AM
That's it? Really?

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I won't play basketball or attempt to dance in public.

Did you watch the vid Donger? You of all people wont understand. We've been down this road before.

Donger
02-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Did you watch the vid Donger? You of all people wont understand. We've been down this road before.

No.

stumppy
02-16-2010, 10:32 AM
I can't order some fuggin chicken at company dinners :cuss:. I don't eat red meat and pork but I don't want to feed into the stereotypes of all we eat is chicken, greens and other soul foods.

I have to tip more to change the perception of black people don't tip.

Like the guy in the video, I have to try my best to bring out whiteness in my voice when talking to be taken seriously.

Like the video subtle differences but they're there.


Going with my second thought here but I'd much rather associate with someone, be it work or personal related that wasn't trying to be/act like something they are not.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Sounds like you are insecure and blaming it on white people.

Sounds like you're being defensive and painting it as our problem.
WATCH THE VIDEO.

Phobia
02-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Are you really serious? The teacher asked the same thing and it was decided that that was her defense mechanism to try to pin the problem on us when we haven't created the problem.

Of course not. They went through that exercise on the video.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Going with my second thought here but I'd much rather associate with someone, be it work or personal related that wasn't trying to be/act like something they are not.

Hmmm... so now you're saying I should tell my coworkers I love hip hop and the culture. Not worrying about guilty by association?

You'll never understand.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 10:35 AM
No.

You're always the one that I think tries to genuinely "understand" please watch the video and what I'm saying will all make sense to you.

MikeMaslowski
02-16-2010, 10:35 AM
Sounds like you're being defensive and painting it as our problem.
WATCH THE VIDEO.

Defensive? Because you over-tip, talk white and are a closet chicken eater? You sir, are the one who is being defensive.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Sounds like you are insecure and blaming it on white people.

That's it. I'm blaiming YOU personally. :rolleyes:

wutamess
02-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Defensive? Because you over-tip, talk white and are a closet chicken eater? You sir, are the one who is being defensive.

Mike please watch the video and then go back and read your ignorant statements.
You'll be more informed to argue your point than to just marginalize everything I'm typing.

stumppy
02-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Hmmm... so now you're saying I should tell my coworkers I love hip hop and the culture. Not worrying about guilty by association?

You'll never understand.

Please please, lets not do the words in mouth deal.

Why do you have to tell them anything. Just go on about your business and be yourself .

Phobia
02-16-2010, 10:37 AM
I can't order some fuggin chicken at company dinners :cuss:. I don't eat red meat and pork but I don't want to feed into the stereotypes of all we eat is chicken, greens and other soul foods.

I have to tip more to change the perception of black people don't tip.

Like the guy in the video, I have to try my best to bring out whiteness in my voice when talking to be taken seriously.

Like the video subtle differences but they're there.

Just order the chicken. Nobody actually cares. Do not order the collard greens though. I will make a stupid joke if you order some collard greens.

I have a similar complaint. I find my voice dropping some ethnic slang when I hang out with a few black guys. What is up with that? I certainly don't do it intentionally but I catch myself breaking into that mode. I can't figure that out for the life of me.

phisherman
02-16-2010, 10:38 AM
the problem with this situation is that as much as i sympathize, it doesn't seem like you'll ever realize that everyone goes through similar situations, though perhaps not to the same degree. you think that a white trash hick from sugar creek could go into a nice restaurant in JOCO and get the same kind of service as a rich white person?

though it's not the same as your struggle, it's still similar.

MikeMaslowski
02-16-2010, 10:39 AM
Mike please watch the video and then go back and read your ignorant statements.

You are calling me ignorant? Sounds like its the black guy calling the kettle black.

I will humor you and watch it.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 10:39 AM
Please please, lets not do the words in mouth deal.

Why do you have to tell them anything. Just go on about your business and be yourself .

Well being myself I like baggy jeans... Hip hop... flashy shirts, etc.
I don't like having to bring out my white voice as I'd rather be myself. But if I want to get ahead, I have to "play the game".

To you it's not being true to yourself. To me and other minorities it's a matter of survival.

Donger
02-16-2010, 10:39 AM
You're always the one that I think tries to genuinely "understand" please watch the video and what I'm saying will all make sense to you.

I clicked on the link, but it wants me to sign up for something. No thanks.

Besides, you just wrote about me: "You of all people wont understand."

So, why should I bother? That seems to be your default answer. No, I'll never know what it's like to be black. Just as you'll never know or understand what it's like to be white.

phisherman
02-16-2010, 10:40 AM
it's your inner ghetto-osity coming out phil.

InChiefsHell
02-16-2010, 10:40 AM
I can't order some fuggin chicken at company dinners :cuss:. I don't eat red meat and pork but I don't want to feed into the stereotypes of all we eat is chicken, greens and other soul foods. Yes you can, you just give a shit about what people think of you. Order the chicken and enjoy it. What's the big deal?

I have to tip more to change the perception of black people don't tip. I used to deliver pizzas for Godfathers, and I can tell you honestly that about 95% of my black customers did not tip. The ones who did were very good tippers. Maybe there is something to that...

Like the guy in the video, I have to try my best to bring out whiteness in my voice when talking to be taken seriously. Instead of "whiteness," maybe you could think of it as "professional"...I don't talk at work the same way I talk around my buddies...

Like the video subtle differences but they're there.

Subtle, but not earth shattering, and certainly nothing that is holding you back. Now, I'm certain that racism exists (on all sides, by the way) but I'm also certain that most people are good and do not carry racism to a level of hatred or deep discrimination. But lets face it, we all have a certain comfort level and we all have our pre-conceived notions about each other.

My question is, what do you want us to do about it?

RJ
02-16-2010, 10:40 AM
The over/under for the first "How come we don't have a white history month" is currently at post #150. Keep in mind that the line can move.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 10:40 AM
Just order the chicken. Nobody actually cares. Do not order the collard greens though. I will make a stupid joke if you order some collard greens.

I have a similar complaint. I find my voice dropping some ethnic slang when I hang out with a few black guys. What is up with that? I certainly don't do it intentionally but I catch myself breaking into that mode. I can't figure that out for the life of me.

It's because you subliminally seek acceptance. Which is what we have to do to "blend in" for acceptance. BTW: I've noticed your black voice.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 10:41 AM
I clicked on the link, but it wants me to sign up for something. No thanks.

Besides, you just wrote about me: "You of all people wont understand."

So, why should I bother? That seems to be your default answer. No, I'll never know what it's like to be black. Just as you'll never know or understand what it's like to be white.

Cancel the popup and hit play again and it'll play.
Thanks for trying.

Donger
02-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Well being myself I like baggy jeans... Hip hop... flashy shirts, etc.

I'd think you should dress appropriately for the situation.

I don't like having to bring out my white voice as I'd rather be myself. But if I want to get ahead, I have to "play the game".

WTF is your "white voice"?

wutamess
02-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Just as you'll never know or understand what it's like to be white.

I have a better idea about what it's like than you have about what it's like being black. Remember, (unless I'm a CEO or something) we have to simulate whites in order to get ahead. You don't have to do that.

Phobia
02-16-2010, 10:44 AM
It's because you subliminally seek acceptance. Which is what we have to do to "blend in" for acceptance. BTW: I've noticed your black voice.
Heh. I feel like a moron when it happens but it just flops out. The more black guys I'm around the more I take it on. I remember when I played a game of softball with one of your teams a few years back down in Knobtown - I was the only white guy.... Heh, I must have really broken out some slang that night. I also didn't tip and I ate some watermelon too.

Donger
02-16-2010, 10:45 AM
Man, that black host really talks white! British white even.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 10:46 AM
My question is, what do you want us to do about it?

I'm not looking for handouts... Just for you to watch the video and understand our point of view and realize that we're not full of excuses.

We do (not me) tend to play the race card at wrong times and situations but sometimes it's warranted.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Heh. I feel like a moron when it happens but it just flops out. The more black guys I'm around the more I take it on. I remember when I played a game of softball with one of your teams a few years back down in Knobtown - I was the only white guy.... Heh, I must have really broken out some slang that night. I also didn't tip and I ate some watermelon too.

They were more concerned with your tight ass shorts than your slang.
They were thinking, "who's the wigga in the tight shorts? They don't go together".

Donger
02-16-2010, 10:48 AM
I have a better idea about what it's like than you have about what it's like being black. Remember, (unless I'm a CEO or something) we have to simulate whites in order to get ahead. You don't have to do that.

No, you don't have any idea what it's like to be white.

If by "simulate whites" you mean being professional, intelligent and driven, I guess. Aren't there any black people that are like that and aren't simulating whites? Obama maybe?

wutamess
02-16-2010, 10:50 AM
If by "simulate whites" you mean being professional, intelligent and driven, I guess. Aren't there any black people that are like that and aren't simulating whites? Obama maybe?

Donger watch the vid and then argue your point then I'll respond to any question(s)/point(s) you may have.

MikeMaslowski
02-16-2010, 10:51 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=217036

Wutamess, not sure if you saw this thread, but what is your take on it? I have to deal with racial shit all the time in the Army, and somehow, it's never taken seriously if it's black to white... i.e. using the word cracker, joking about white stereotypes, etc. If it was white to black...the white persons career would be in jeopardy. Maybe their job will be replaced by somebody that got hired from the AA list.

P.S. The movie is buffering, I will get back to you.

InChiefsHell
02-16-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm not looking for handouts... Just for you to watch the video and understand our point of view and realize that we're not full of excuses.

We do (not me) tend to play the race card at wrong times and situations but sometimes it's warranted.

Don't know if you saw my earlier post about the convenient store and the barber shop incidents. I know this is not about ME per se, but I wonder if you would find those experiences I had satisfactory in helping me understand in some small way what it is like from your point of view?

Dave Lane
02-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Anyone who thinks there isn't a problem is basically easy to point out as having racist tendencies. We all are racist in one way or another. I am, Roger is we all have SOME pre-conceived notion of what we expect from another race / gender. If you aren't willing to admit that, THAT is the problem.

InChiefsHell
02-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Anyone who thinks there isn't a problem is basically easy to point out as having racist tendencies. We all are racist in one way or another. I am, Roger is we all have SOME pre-conceived notion of what we expect from another race / gender. If you aren't willing to admit that, THAT is the problem.

Shit yeah, hear hear! It's about time people just admit that while they may not hate people, they do have pre-conceived notions and prejudices, and you don't have to be white to be an offender and you don't have to be black to be a victim of it.

I suspect that it is more prevalent among whites to ACT on their prejudice, but I really don't believe we have the market cornered on prejudice itself.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Don't know if you saw my earlier post about the convenient store and the barber shop incidents. I know this is not about ME per se, but I wonder if you would find those experiences I had satisfactory in helping me understand in some small way what it is like from your point of view?

Welcome to our world. The video give examples similar to yours... specifically, the woman that in line first to be seated but is overlooked and other patrons are seated before her.

You've experience first hand of what we go through our entire life. If we say something about it (you people tell us to do something about it) we're considered "Angry Black Man" then. I guess this is my way of "doing something about it" by bringing awareness.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Shit yeah, hear hear! It's about time people just admit that while they may not hate people, they do have pre-conceived notions and prejudices, and you don't have to be white to be an offender and you don't have to be black to be a victim of it.

I suspect that it is more prevalent among whites to ACT on their prejudice, but I really don't believe we have the market cornered on prejudice itself.

Never said you've had the market cornered but you did at one point. You do realize that W's have a LOT to do with racism and counter racism right? Can you maybe admit that much?

Donger
02-16-2010, 11:11 AM
From what I can tell so far, this video is an attempt to get white people to get a sense of what it's like to be discriminated against because of their eye color. Correct so far?

wutamess
02-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Another first hand experience...

We hire summer work usually family members of coworkers.
I suggested I had a cousin that'd be interested... immediately hey said it was limited to close family members.

It could be that I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. But the way it was said made me think in my mind that they don't know what to expect from my cousin and maybe he's a mistake waiting to happen. I left it alone because it wasn't a battle worth fighting but it still made me think more than should've had to.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 11:12 AM
From what I can tell so far, this video is an attempt to get white people to get a sense of what it's like to be discriminated against because of their eye color. Correct so far?

WATCH THE VID DRAW YOUR OWN CONCLUSION(S)!!!

Donger
02-16-2010, 11:16 AM
WATCH THE VID DRAW YOUR OWN CONCLUSION(S)!!!

Don't get uppity.

phisherman
02-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Another first hand experience...

We hire summer work usually family members of coworkers.
I suggested I had a cousin that'd be interested... immediately hey said it was limited to close family members.

It could be that I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. But the way it was said made me think in my mind that they don't know what to expect from my cousin and maybe he's a mistake waiting to happen. I left it alone because it wasn't a battle worth fighting but it still made me think more than should've had to.

you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

people are people, there is nothing you can do to change them or the way they think/feel/act. complaining won't change it. in fact, i'd venture to say that complaining will just get you more riled up in the long run.

look at our respective sprint careers. both of us started in a similar place, both of us ended up at the same place before getting canned. diaz still has his job and he's a mexican, therefore i'm getting discriminated against.

Phobia
02-16-2010, 11:18 AM
They were more concerned with your tight ass shorts than your slang.
They were thinking, "who's the wigga in the tight shorts? They don't go together".

I don't know 'bout all that, yo. KnowwhatI'msayin?

Phobia
02-16-2010, 11:21 AM
One time I had a friend working for me on a basement project. He happened to be black. The homeowner was displeased about something or other and had come down more than once and dressed me down in front of my friend/worker.

Finally, I had enough and I let him know that I didn't appreciate being disrespected in front of "the help".

That was the end of my friendship with this guy. Was it because he thought I was being racist or because he didn't think I valued our friendship enough? I have yet to figure that mystery out and he refused to elaborate.

Der Flöprer
02-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Threads like this make me realize just how fucking STUPID the general population is. Congratulations folks.

Dave Lane
02-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Shit yeah, hear hear! It's about time people just admit that while they may not hate people, they do have pre-conceived notions and prejudices, and you don't have to be white to be an offender and you don't have to be black to be a victim of it.

I suspect that it is more prevalent among whites to ACT on their prejudice, but I really don't believe we have the market cornered on prejudice itself.



The problem is some people, granted ignorant people, who feel there is no problem at all. If you watch the film the white aristocratic woman just thinks its all ridiculous and there is no problem at all. SHE is the problem and the definite racist of the group.

I play in a all black (virtually) flag football league in the hood. I get treated differently because I am a minority there. I get hit extra hard and I'm sure several black guys think its funny blowing up the cracker. So I can see for a couple hours a week what its like. Inchiefshell has seen what its like for 5 minutes and doesn't like it.

The idea of the video is to imagine what a lifetime of that would be like, and really how arbitrary eye color is and when you think of it skin color to judge someone on.

Katipan
02-16-2010, 11:25 AM
One time I had a friend working for me on a basement project. He happened to be black. The homeowner was displeased about something or other and had come down more than once and dressed me down in front of my friend/worker.

Finally, I had enough and I let him know that I didn't appreciate being disrespected in front of "the help".

That was the end of my friendship with this guy. Was it because he thought I was being racist or because he didn't think I valued our friendship enough? I have yet to figure that mystery out and he refused to elaborate.

I can see plenty of people finding offense with you referring to your ummmmmmmm subcontractor, laborer, whateverthehellhewas as "the help"...

Normally used by uppity rich white people to refer to their domestic staff.

Dave Lane
02-16-2010, 11:27 AM
One time I had a friend working for me on a basement project. He happened to be black. The homeowner was displeased about something or other and had come down more than once and dressed me down in front of my friend/worker.

Finally, I had enough and I let him know that I didn't appreciate being disrespected in front of "the help".

That was the end of my friendship with this guy. Was it because he thought I was being racist or because he didn't think I valued our friendship enough? I have yet to figure that mystery out and he refused to elaborate.

Probably a combination of things but I do think it would be easy to assume you were talking down to him and he may have felt it was because he was black and not just a very poor choice of words on your part.

Donger
02-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Meh. I want my 35 minutes back.

Der Flöprer
02-16-2010, 11:29 AM
LMAO @ any fuckin cracker who thinks that getting pounded by the bruthas in the weekly football game, or having someone refuse to cut their hair is in any way, shape, or form, some kind of glimpse into racism. That's the most self serving, stupid ass shit I've ever heard.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 11:29 AM
I can see plenty of people finding offense with you referring to your ummmmmmmm subcontractor, laborer, whateverthehellhewas as "the help"...

Normally used by uppity rich white people to refer to their domestic staff.

This.

MikeMaslowski
02-16-2010, 11:37 AM
This.

Hey! I'm wading through this video that you suggested. Would you please respond to my thread, or would that be too white of you to do?


God, don't get offended by that, I'm just fucking around... Can you admit that a white man has issues in todays society and it's a direct reflection of his race? I am getting out of the Army because of an out of control black man, that simple. Do I think its because he is black that he is an asshole? Yes, I do. He does not like me because I am white. Nobody will buy that though because I'm white.

Donger
02-16-2010, 11:41 AM
Hey! I'm wading through this video that you suggested. Would you please respond to my thread, or would that be too white of you to do?


God, don't get offended by that, I'm just ****ing around... Can you admit that a white man has issues in todays society and it's a direct reflection of his race? I am getting out of the Army because of an out of control black man, that simple. Do I think its because he is black that he is an asshole? Yes, I do. He does not like me because I am white. Nobody will buy that though because I'm white.

He's only an asshole because he's been discriminated against his whole life.

Dave Lane
02-16-2010, 11:41 AM
LMAO @ any ****in cracker who thinks that getting pounded by the bruthas in the weekly football game, or having someone refuse to cut their hair is in any way, shape, or form, some kind of glimpse into racism. That's the most self serving, stupid ass shit I've ever heard.

Its a glimpse however brief.

Dave Lane
02-16-2010, 11:42 AM
He's only an asshole because you are in general a asshole.

FYP

MikeMaslowski
02-16-2010, 11:44 AM
He's only an asshole because he's been discriminated against his whole life.

Dammit, happening to be white is a pain in the ass... or is it? Shit, you should see some of the hell I catch for being married to a border jumper. This video buffering thing is annoying as hell.... Italy has slow internet.

Der Flöprer
02-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Its a glimpse however brief.

No, sir. I was a little loud mouthed in my previous post but I disagree vehemently. You CHOOSE to put yourself in that situation every week. ICH chooses to walk into that convenience store, or that barber shop. Black folk don't have a choice.

I've been obese since I was born. I never knew any better, and no one taught me any better. You don't think fat people are put down and made to feel lesser to the extent that they feel worthless? You think those feelings of worthlessness can't lead to one being unable to overcome their own circumstances? That's exactly what racism does to black people.

You won't hear me say that I have some level of understanding. I don't. My obesity is still a choice.

Katipan
02-16-2010, 11:52 AM
No, sir. I was a little loud mouthed in my previous post but I disagree vehemently. You CHOOSE to put yourself in that situation every week. ICH chooses to walk into that convenience store, or that barber shop. Black folk don't have a choice.

I've been obese since I was born. I never knew any better, and no one taught me any better. You don't think fat people are put down and made to feel lesser to the extent that they feel worthless? You think those feelings of worthlessness can't lead to one being unable to overcome their own circumstances? That's exactly what racism does to black people.

You won't hear me say that I have some level of understanding. I don't. My obesity is still a choice.

:(

I'm going to go hug the first fat black guy I see.

blaise
02-16-2010, 11:58 AM
No, sir. I was a little loud mouthed in my previous post but I disagree vehemently. You CHOOSE to put yourself in that situation every week. ICH chooses to walk into that convenience store, or that barber shop. Black folk don't have a choice.

I've been obese since I was born. I never knew any better, and no one taught me any better. You don't think fat people are put down and made to feel lesser to the extent that they feel worthless? You think those feelings of worthlessness can't lead to one being unable to overcome their own circumstances? That's exactly what racism does to black people.

You won't hear me say that I have some level of understanding. I don't. My obesity is still a choice.

I didn't take the post about the barbershop as an attempt to equate the struggles. I just read it as him saying it allowed him a small glimpse of what day to day life is for some black people. The goal of the thread and video seems to be to get white people to better understand what it's like to be a black person in America. If someone posts something that tries to relate to that experience on some level, I don't see how it demeans the struggle of black people, especially if it's done in the right way.
Just because you can never fully understand what it's like it doesn't mean you can't try and relate on some level.

RJ
02-16-2010, 11:59 AM
:(

I'm going to go hug the first fat black guy I see.


Won't he be surprised!

MikeMaslowski
02-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Oh, and I've dealt with racism from white people...one happened to be my family member. These were sent to me on myspace.

----------------

> dave felt soory for you because your dad was a junkie you half
> blooded bitch i hope u choke i guess half breed junkie kids are
> bread to hide in the military maybe this will work dave was white
> trash you are white trash not a true **my last name** so change your last name
> you are a disgrace to the **MLN** LEGACY THE ONLY REASON MOM
> PROTECTED U WAS BECAUSE YOU ARE A JUNKIES KID THAT IS WHY YOU GOT
> YOUR FACE SMASHED IN THAT IS WHY YOU ARE HALF BLIND AND. YOU
> MARRIED OUT OF YOUR RACE TO A LOUD MOTH WHORE ITS NOT
> YOUR FAULT YOU HAVE NO DIGNITY YOU BURRITO FUCKING COWARD YOU WILL
> HIDE FROM ME IF NOT BE A MAN U BITCH LETS GO RAIDERS I AM WAITING
> TILL THE END OF MY TIME.YOU PUNK BTCH BEANER FUCKING JUNKIE KID
> WITH NO NAME YOU .............................
>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> u know u are a coward hick from south dakota
>
> u think u are hard but u arent u listen to ni**er music u are
> coward in the us military.ushook my hand and lied to me in my own
> house u bith ni**erloving mexican.u know whats coming i will wait
> until mom dies if i have to u ni**er beaner lover change your last
> name u dont deserve it u have no balls u are just a stupid hick.
>
----------------------

Oh well right? I am white and don't know about racism.

Notice the Raider reference...It's funny how everything relates back to my love for the Chiefs.

Phobia
02-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Probably a combination of things but I do think it would be easy to assume you were talking down to him and he may have felt it was because he was black and not just a very poor choice of words on your part.

Oh, I agree with that. Very poor choice of words. Here I was feeling talked down to and disrespected and in defense of myself I did the same thing to my friend who was helping.

MikeMaslowski
02-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Oh, I agree with that. Very poor choice of words. Here I was feeling talked down to and disrespected and in defense of myself I did the same thing to my friend who was helping.


You should have said, "Hey, don't you see I'm friends with a black guy?" "He probably has a gun, and since he's my friend I must be willing to do crazy shit around him, so watch yo mouf homie."

Phobia
02-16-2010, 12:38 PM
I can see plenty of people finding offense with you referring to your ummmmmmmm subcontractor, laborer, whateverthehellhewas as "the help"...

Normally used by uppity rich white people to refer to their domestic staff.

Heh - well, I'm not anything close to that person - I meant it literally as the guys who were helping me.

So, basically he felt like I was calling him a servant.... I guess that would explain his reaction then.

That was pretty ignorant of me.

MikeMaslowski
02-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Heh - well, I'm not anything close to that person - I meant it literally as the guys who were helping me.

So, basically he felt like I was calling him a servant.... I guess that would explain his reaction then.

That was pretty ignorant of me.

I find it hard to believe that you just thought that at this exact moment. Am I missing something?

Maybe the video was right about you white people.

Donger
02-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Heh - well, I'm not anything close to that person - I meant it literally as the guys who were helping me.

So, basically he felt like I was calling him a servant.... I guess that would explain his reaction then.

That was pretty ignorant of me.

Doesn't that actually prove that you aren't prone to having racist thoughts? It didn't even cross your mind at the time that what you said could be construed as being taken that way.

Katipan
02-16-2010, 12:43 PM
<3 Phil

I find it hard to believe that you just thought that at this exact moment. Am I missing something?

Maybe the video was right about you white people.

I only know rich white uppity people do it because I watch Real Housewives of Orange County and read smutty historical romances.

Phobia
02-16-2010, 12:43 PM
I find it hard to believe that you just thought that at this exact moment. Am I missing something?

Maybe the video was right about you white people.

No, of course I've since considered the possibility and I am more careful about the descriptors used for the people who take money from me in exchange for their time and effort. Heh. I usually just say workers but I should probably start calling them engineers or something to make them all feel much better about it.

phisherman
02-16-2010, 12:48 PM
they'll probably want a pay raise if you call them engineers

Phobia
02-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Doesn't that actually prove that you aren't prone to having racist thoughts? It didn't even cross your mind at the time that what you said could be construed as being taken that way.

I don't know. I used to be fairly racist with my thoughts - I've admitted that much... Bad experiences with some very urban youth colored my perspective.... errr - you know what I mean.

But I've been enlightened since. I really don't give it much thought any longer unless I see a particularly rugged looking urban kid. I really, really don't get the whole dread-lock thing either. But I don't understand when white people do it too so maybe that doesn't necessarily count.

Donger
02-16-2010, 12:49 PM
I don't know. I used to be fairly racist with my thoughts - I've admitted that much... Bad experiences with some very urban youth colored my perspective.... errr - you know what I mean.

But I've been enlightened since. I really don't give it much thought any longer unless I see a particularly rugged looking urban kid. I really, really don't get the whole dread-lock thing either. But I don't understand when white people do it too so maybe that doesn't necessarily count.

Have you ever used that expression (the help) to describe one of your non-minority employees?

Dave Lane
02-16-2010, 12:52 PM
No, sir. I was a little loud mouthed in my previous post but I disagree vehemently. You CHOOSE to put yourself in that situation every week. ICH chooses to walk into that convenience store, or that barber shop. Black folk don't have a choice.

I've been obese since I was born. I never knew any better, and no one taught me any better. You don't think fat people are put down and made to feel lesser to the extent that they feel worthless? You think those feelings of worthlessness can't lead to one being unable to overcome their own circumstances? That's exactly what racism does to black people.

You won't hear me say that I have some level of understanding. I don't. My obesity is still a choice.

Are you being intentionally obtuse? I never said its the "black experience" or anything else. Its like licking an onion is to eating Vichysoisse. Never said otherwise.

MikeMaslowski
02-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Have you ever used that expression (the help) to describe one of your non-minority employees?

Have you ever beat a dead horse?

Donger
02-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Have you ever beat a dead horse?

I've never been in such proximity to a dead horse that would be prerequisite for striking it.

MikeMaslowski
02-16-2010, 12:56 PM
I've never been in such proximity to a dead horse that would be prerequisite for striking it.

Fair enough. Is it because I'm white?

Phobia
02-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Have you ever used that expression (the help) to describe one of your non-minority employees?

Prior to that event - likely, though I can't be certain because it never occurred to me that it would be construed negatively. I know I've been referred to as "the help" by an old guy whose house I was rebuilding in Leawood. I remember it as being slightly strange but I wasn't offended by it. I do acknowledge that I'm an exception to most rules because I just don't care about words too much. I continue to use "fabulous" despite the gay connotation and I'm sure there are other examples. I don't like political correctness but I do find N-bombs to be incredibly inappropriate and I do confront anybody who uses the slur whether they're black or white.

MikeMaslowski
02-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Prior to that event - likely, though I can't be certain because it never occurred to me that it would be construed negatively. I know I've been referred to as "the help" by an old guy whose house I was rebuilding in Leawood. I remember it as being slightly strange but I wasn't offended by it. I do acknowledge that I'm an exception to most rules because I just don't care about words too much. I continue to use "fabulous" despite the gay connotation and I'm sure there are other examples. I don't like political correctness but I do find N-bombs to be incredibly inappropriate and I do confront anybody who uses the slur whether they're black or white.

There you go keeping the black man down again... It's their word afterall, right?

Phobia
02-16-2010, 01:10 PM
There you go keeping the black man down again... It's their word afterall, right?

Well, black folks are pretty shocked when I'm ballsy enough to say something about it. It's not something that frequently occurs but it has happened.

MikeMaslowski
02-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Well, black folks are pretty shocked when I'm ballsy enough to say something about it. It's not something that frequently occurs but it has happened.

Well, when you ask for something to put into your soup they don't yell at you, right? ;)

wutamess
02-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Mike Mas... What happened with your job in that case? You never followed up on what happened?

wutamess
02-16-2010, 01:21 PM
There you go keeping the black man down again... It's their word afterall, right?

Phil... You have asked people to stop using it in my presence... :clap: That I can speak for.

Mike: It's NOT our word dumbass. Or are you kidding again? :shrug:

wutamess
02-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Donger, after watching the vid... you pull your head out of the sand a lil bit about what's actually happening outside of suburbia?

MikeMaslowski
02-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Mike Mas... What happened with your job in that case? You never followed up on what happened?

It went to shit. Horrible massive piles of shit. And he is still the boss, and I'm leaving the Army.

Donger
02-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Donger, after watching the vid... you pull your head out of the sand a lil bit about what's actually happening outside of suburbia?

Errr, that was in England in case you didn't notice the accents and bad teeth.

MikeMaslowski
02-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Phil... You have asked people to stop using it in my presence... :clap: That I can speak for.

Mike: It's NOT our word dumbass. Or are you kidding again? :shrug:

94% of what I'm saying is intended to be humorous. I watched the movie, not really swayed either way, but I went into it with a negative attitude. She probably woulda kicked me out, she's a bitch and I don't completely understand the implied plight of the black man.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 01:38 PM
94% of what I'm saying is intended to be humorous. I watched the movie, not really swayed either way, but I went into it with a negative attitude. She probably woulda kicked me out, she's a bitch and I don't completely understand the implied plight of the black man.

Did you walk away with a sense of how we've altered our lives and treated differently because of our skin color?

wutamess
02-16-2010, 01:38 PM
It went to shit. Horrible massive piles of shit. And he is still the boss, and I'm leaving the Army.

Can you expand on that? Why do I feel like I'm pulling teeth?

wutamess
02-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Errr, that was in England in case you didn't notice the accents and bad teeth.

Did you walk away with a sense of understanding smartass?

MikeMaslowski
02-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Did you walk away with a sense of how we've altered our lives and treated differently because of our skin color?

Yes.

Donger
02-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Did you walk away with a sense of understanding smartass?

Not really. I've been intimately familiar with being a smartass since I was a boy.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Not really. I've been intimately familiar with being a smartass since I was a boy.

Are you really not going to add anything constructive?

Donger
02-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Are you really not going to add anything constructive?

About the video? No, not really. It did nothing for me.

tyton75
02-16-2010, 01:45 PM
kma Roger!

Bearcat
02-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Are you really not going to add anything constructive?

Are you new here?

MikeMaslowski
02-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Can you expand on that? Why do I feel like I'm pulling teeth?


Got really bad for me and my boss.

We ended up going to the top Army investigative command, wrote a letter to the top commander in my field and all of his underlings, requested a move from my unit. Everything got shoved under the rug. They wouldn't even give me a response on it. I said many times, "How can a black leader in the United States Army liken me to a slave owner and nothing be done about it?" I had a chance to get out and I took it. I would have stayed in, but I would have another year under him and I didn't feel like getting kicked out for saying something pretty bad.

Ugh, gonna get some dinner.

Inspector
02-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Discrimination sucks. If I think about, it I'm still a little miffed about being turned down for promotions and jobs due to my skin color. It sucks.

In our family we adopt an attitude that skin color is treated the same as eye color, hair color or crayon colors. One aint any better than another, just different.

I'll try to watch this if I get a chance. Thanks for the link to it!

wutamess
02-16-2010, 02:07 PM
kma Roger!

gfy!

wutamess
02-16-2010, 02:09 PM
Are you new here?

hmmm. I thought Donger was one of the ones that asks repetitive questions to seek to understand and not the asshole type.

Maybe I had him pegged wrongly. :shrug:

wutamess
02-16-2010, 02:10 PM
About the video? No, not really. It did nothing for me.

You'd have to be a deaf mute not to come away with anything. Or did you agree with the (ignorant) school teacher?

Donger
02-16-2010, 02:17 PM
You'd have to be a deaf mute not to come away with anything. Or did you agree with the (ignorant) school teacher?

It doesn't take a genius to put oneself in a that position and imagine, "Hmmm, I don't think I'd like to be discriminated against."

wutamess
02-16-2010, 02:46 PM
It doesn't take a genius to put oneself in a that position and imagine, "Hmmm, I don't think I'd like to be discriminated against."

So small picture. Do you Donger... Do you!

Donger
02-16-2010, 02:48 PM
So small picture. Do you Donger... Do you!

Do I like being discriminated against? No.

InChiefsHell
02-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Well, wuttamess, while I don't think you are going to get to 1k posts you've achieved a good goal here. In my case, as I mentioned, I saw this when I was a kid. And even then I pretty much got it. In my long hair metal days, I'd be followed around in grocery stores because I looked like trouble. The difference is, I could cut my hair, change my clothes and be model citizen, whereas a black person, or Hispanic or what have you, cannot do that. Fat people can lose weight, but women are women (unless they reeeeeally want to make that change, that's a whole other thing). So, while I realize that I'll never LIVE that life, I can say that I have an understanding of it.

Now here's the rub. It goes on everywhere. I remember during the LA riots that the largely black mobs were attacking Oriental owned businesses (Korean specifically if I remember right). If black people, who should KNOW better, are capable of such atrocities, it sort of contributes to the attitudes of some white people who say Hey, if it ain't right for us to do, it ain't right for you to do.

I'm not saying that YOU are saying it's right, but it's a lot deeper I think than just understanding what it's like to be picked on.

Anyway, I try not to see all black people through the same lens, same as any other people. I don't always pull it off. But at the end of the day, I know I don't hate anyone. For me, that's probably as good as it'll get.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 03:08 PM
If black people, who should KNOW better, are capable of such atrocities, it sort of contributes to the attitudes of some white people who say Hey, if it ain't right for us to do, it ain't right for you to do.

I wasn't really looking for 1k posts... I just couldn't think of a better thread topic to grab peoples attention and bring awareness to it.

I'm a huge proponent of self responsibility and not blaming others for your problems.

However, you got my and the video's point of how it's a little unbalanced on what we have to do to get the same standards of life that a lot of white people take for granted because it's more of the norm and expected.

MOhillbilly
02-16-2010, 03:13 PM
WUTA, do you have a negative stereotype of me? After you seen the picture of my family did this reinforce your stereotype?
your comment in the faces and names thread makes me wonder because i believe you have left the same comment on two diffrent occasions in the same thread.
That and the meltdown you had awhile back, still dont know wtf that was about...you know the one where you likeded me to BD...

wutamess
02-16-2010, 03:46 PM
WUTA, do you have a negative stereotype of me? After you seen the picture of my family did this reinforce your stereotype?
your comment in the faces and names thread makes me wonder because i believe you have left the same comment on two diffrent occasions in the same thread.
That and the meltdown you had awhile back, still dont know wtf that was about...you know the one where you likeded me to BD...

Dude... my perception of you is of a redneck like Hog Farmer. Not that there's anything wrong with that (seriously). I don't have any negative personal feelings towards you or BD. These are just discussions and we tend to have disagreements but it never goes any further than that with me.

Matter of factly, I forgot all about the BD comparisons and discussions we've had but I see how you might think I'd be picking on you after seeing your pic. I'm just now putting that 2 & 2 together.

It was more of your name and I sometimes get you confuse with Hogfarmer. That's a funny dude to me the way he's always talking about pig sperm and shit.

You're looking too deep into my view of you. Nothing's personal. I have no problems with you as I realize we all have opinions and are free to express them wrong or right even though you're wrong.:thumb:

Now stop defending the killer pit bulls.

Saggysack
02-16-2010, 04:32 PM
I think you're still missing the point. She gave you a first hand look at how we have to go through our ENTIRE LIFE with a disadvantage from birth because of our skin color. It doesn't matter if YOU personally are a racist...

The society we live in is racist to an extent which makes it harder for minorities to thrive. Of course there are exceptions to the rule but the way the system is already in place it's a breeding ground for failure for minorities.

I quite clearly see her point. That considered she still fails to address many issues that drive racism. I'm not trying put disparage her lesson. I'm just pointing out that this lesson is quite elementary driven by a 60's mentality. It was designed for 3rd graders, not adults.

I don't know about you, but racial issues have become quite different as an adult than when I was 3rd grader. As an adult I can quite clearly differentiate between good and bad, right and wrong towards others than when I was a kid. I'm not a 3rd grader anymore that responds well to tyrant attitudes that she displays.

Why do you think she kicks out the dissenters? Because she doesn't allow for adult reasoning and emotion in her lesson. This a rudimentary lesson that hasn't adjusted towards the adult mindset. A lot of us have moved beyond the mob mentality of elementary school.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 04:42 PM
I quite clearly see her point. That considered she still fails to address many issues that drive racism. I'm not trying put disparage her lesson. I'm just pointing out that this lesson is quite elementary driven by a 60's mentality. It was designed for 3rd graders, not adults.

I don't know about you, but racial issues have become quite different as an adult than when I was 3rd grader. As an adult I can quite clearly differentiate between good and bad, right and wrong towards others than when I was a kid. I'm not a 3rd grader anymore that responds well to tyrant attitudes that she displays.

Why do you think she kicks out the dissenters? Because she doesn't allow for adult reasoning and emotion in her lesson. This a rudimentary lesson that hasn't adjusted towards the adult mindset. A lot of us have moved beyond the mob mentality of elementary school.

:rolleyes: We'll have to agree to disagree.

Saggysack
02-16-2010, 04:48 PM
:rolleyes: We'll have to agree to disagree.

That's fine. I have no problem with that. Not sure why I deserved the smiley for my opinion. But I guess I just didn't conform to the lesson the right way.

But I still feel a solid and healthy discourse between rational adults has proven over the course of period a time to eliminate racism more effectively than being "put in my place" likes this woman tries to accomplish.

Does that make me a racist?

Der Flöprer
02-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Are you being intentionally obtuse? I never said its the "black experience" or anything else. Its like licking an onion is to eating Vichysoisse. Never said otherwise.

No. I was just being irrational this morning. This is a hot button issue for me. As someone who has been victimized for things I never understood, I flip out over it. That's my bad.

I'm glad that you, and ICH, and anyone else is trying to walk in someone else's shoes. That's all I've ever really wanted people to do. Sorry for the sandy vag this morning.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 06:26 PM
That's fine. I have no problem with that. Not sure why I deserved the smiley for my opinion. But I guess I just didn't conform to the lesson the right way.

But I still feel a solid and healthy discourse between rational adults has proven over the course of period a time to eliminate racism more effectively than being "put in my place" likes this woman tries to accomplish.

Does that make me a racist?

You deserve the smiley because instead of trying to learn a lesson you chose the route of the traitor and chose not to learn anything.

Pure ignorance on your part. Not racist... ignorant/ closed minded.

wutamess
02-16-2010, 06:27 PM
No. I was just being irrational this morning. This is a hot button issue for me. As someone who has been victimized for things I never understood, I flip out over it. That's my bad.

I'm glad that you, and ICH, and anyone else is trying to walk in someone else's shoes. That's all I've ever really wanted people to do. Sorry for the sandy vag this morning.

hmmm... how have you been victimized?
Not marginalizing... just nosey.

Saggysack
02-16-2010, 06:49 PM
You deserve the smiley because instead of trying to learn a lesson you chose the route of the traitor and chose not to learn anything.

Pure ignorance on your part. Not racist... ignorant/ closed minded.

Huh? Traitor to who? I'm a traitor because I don't feel people need to be enslaved to understand what discrimination and racism is. And I'm ignorant and close minded for that? You simply aren't making much sense with that reasoning.

Maybe you need this old white lady to show how everyone should feel about the way society has treated black people. But I quite frankly don't. I know racism is wrong, I know it has had it's effects on people in society. I know it's a long sick and continued problem. It's same way I don't need to live in concentration camp to understand that the Holocaust was wrong.

MahiMike
02-16-2010, 08:23 PM
This will bump up the count; everyone in America over the age of 5 is racist. They've been forced into it by behavior modification. You can't escape it.

Quite the 3,000th post (if I don't say so myself)

wutamess
02-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Huh? Traitor to who? I'm a traitor because I don't feel people need to be enslaved to understand what discrimination and racism is. And I'm ignorant and close minded for that? You simply aren't making much sense with that reasoning.

Maybe you need this old white lady to show how everyone should feel about the way society has treated black people. But I quite frankly don't. I know racism is wrong, I know it has had it's effects on people in society. I know it's a long sick and continued problem. It's same way I don't need to live in concentration camp to understand that the Holocaust was wrong.

OK since you asked me to respond in person to defend my point I will.
You choose the easy way out to just say "it's bad, everyone knows that".
Instead of actually experiencing it all you're doing is on the outside looking in saying it's common sense which doesn't allow you to fully appreciate it.

It's kinda selfish to not try to understand ANYONE's struggle just to minimize it as stupid.

Your Holocaust stance is kinda ignorant also. You can look at all kinds of movies and history books and know that what Hitler has done was wrong but unless you've walked in someone's shows you can't appreciate what they've gone through.

I guess the best way I can explain it is... You feel little to no sympathy when the mother or father of someone you don't know dies until you experience what they've gone through yourself.

Only then will you gain an appreciation of what that unknown person went through. Don't see why this 1hr experiment wouldn't help you appreciate what prejudged people go through on the daily. Did I answer your question(s)?

CHENZ A!
02-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Interesting experiment.

I have no idea how I would've reacted if I were one of the test subjects. Being that I am blue eyed I would've been in that group, and it would've been hard to sit there and listen for sure. For one, I cannot tolerate rudeness, or disrespect. For two, I do not have hate in my heart for any race. But, everyone judges people on appearance every day, and racism is definitely still alive and unfortunately always will be. Anyone who thinks otherwise is ignorant for sure.

was on Gchat tonight with my homeboy, and this is the story I told to him when I recommended the video(I deleted his responses):

me: It's got me all thinking I'm all racist now because I cursed out this Indian guy tonight who lives in my complex

Like last Fri or Sat I heard this REALLY LOUD car alarm going off outside, and just continued to go off for like 5 min until it finally shut off, I looked out my window, and couldn't see anyone near the car
The alarm has been going off every now and then ever since, and sometimes in the middle of the night
waking me up and shit

so tonight after work I went to the groc and liq stores, and when i got back and was unloading my v, right as I was walking in my front door the shit starts going off again
So I went out on my stairwell, and watched the car for a min
then some indian dude comes walking out and just looks at the car, then he turns it off

So I yelled at him and told him to either learn how to work that thing, or turn it the fuck off because it goes off all the time, sometimes in the middle of the night everytime the wind blows etc.
I was not very polite

but also on Monday, I was driving out of my parking lot when I was leaving for work and this Indian broad was waiting to cross the lot so I stopped to be nice and let her go ahead of me and waved at her to let her know

so she doesn't even wave back or anything and just starts to cross the lot, but is walking so slow! I mean just taking like 6 inches per step slow, and walking at an angle, instead of just crossing and getting out of the way
I'm sitting there like cmon lady lets go, but didn't say anything

so then she FINALLY gets by my car and I put my foot on the gas, and my quick acceleration mixed w salt/sand on the lot made me spin my tires a little, I hope I didn't scare her but she was being really dumb

and then I watched this video and its got me thinking I am an asshole sometimes

but I think I would've done the same exact thing regardless of who it was in both instances, except I may have been more polite to an african american bc I would be afraid they would think it's a race thing when really its just an intelligence thing


-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Probably doesn't make any sense. My bad.

Saggysack
02-17-2010, 11:16 PM
OK since you asked me to respond in person to defend my point I will.
You choose the easy way out to just say "it's bad, everyone knows that".
Instead of actually experiencing it all you're doing is on the outside looking in saying it's common sense which doesn't allow you to fully appreciate it.

It's kinda selfish to not try to understand ANYONE's struggle just to minimize it as stupid.

Your Holocaust stance is kinda ignorant also. You can look at all kinds of movies and history books and know that what Hitler has done was wrong but unless you've walked in someone's shows you can't appreciate what they've gone through.

I guess the best way I can explain it is... You feel little to no sympathy when the mother or father of someone you don't know dies until you experience what they've gone through yourself.

Only then will you gain an appreciation of what that unknown person went through. Don't see why this 1hr experiment wouldn't help you appreciate what prejudged people go through on the daily. Did I answer your question(s)?


I think it a bit much on your part to think I haven't experienced racism. Do you think white people can't experience racism? From the get-go your whole argument flawed because it assumes that I haven't experienced racism. And that would be the farthest thing from the truth. Ask anyone from Wichita what the 10th and Piatt area would be like for a little white boy growing up in that area, over 30yrs ago. And you think that wasn't a daily struggle. Pffft. I learned at an early age that racism comes from and is received by all races. Nobody is perfect.

Selfish to try to not understand anyone's struggle and minimize it as stupid? What? I'm not even sure what that means. But I'll take a guess and say I completely understand what racism is, i've experienced it, I've had struggles with it as well. Again I will ask you. Are white people not subject to discrimination and racism?

My Holocaust analogy is completely spot-on. You're stating that I cannot understand or appreciate what racism and discrimination is until I have experienced it. Once again, we get back to you assuming that I have never experienced racism.

No, no white person has never been killed because they are white. :rolleyes:

But to get back to the original issue. I do not agree with this woman's methodology. This lesson was designed 50yrs ago for grade school white children in all white communities. Society is quite different than it was 50yrs ago. I did not grow up in an environment like that at all.

Saggysack
02-17-2010, 11:21 PM
OK since you asked me to respond in person to defend my point I will.
You choose the easy way out to just say "it's bad, everyone knows that".
Instead of actually experiencing it all you're doing is on the outside looking in saying it's common sense which doesn't allow you to fully appreciate it.

It's kinda selfish to not try to understand ANYONE's struggle just to minimize it as stupid.

Your Holocaust stance is kinda ignorant also. You can look at all kinds of movies and history books and know that what Hitler has done was wrong but unless you've walked in someone's shows you can't appreciate what they've gone through.

I guess the best way I can explain it is... You feel little to no sympathy when the mother or father of someone you don't know dies until you experience what they've gone through yourself.

Only then will you gain an appreciation of what that unknown person went through. Don't see why this 1hr experiment wouldn't help you appreciate what prejudged people go through on the daily. Did I answer your question(s)?


I think it a bit much on your part to think I haven't experienced racism. Do you think white people can't experience racism? From the get-go your whole argument flawed because it assumes that I haven't experienced racism. And that would be the farthest thing from the truth. Ask anyone from Wichita what the 10th and Piatt area would be like for a little white boy growing up in that area, over 30yrs ago. And you think that wasn't a daily struggle. Pffft. I learned at an early age that racism comes from and is received by all races. Nobody is perfect.

Selfish to try to not understand anyone's struggle and minimize it as stupid? What? I'm not even sure what that means. But I'll take a guess and say I completely understand what racism is, i've experienced it, I've had 'struggles' with it as well. Again I will ask you. Are white people not subject to discrimination and racism?

My Holocaust analogy is completely spot-on. You're stating that I cannot understand or appreciate what racism and discrimination is until I have experienced it. Once again, we get back to you assuming that I have never experienced racism.

No, no white person has never been killed because they are white. :rolleyes:

But to get back to the original issue. I do not agree with this woman's methodology. This lesson was designed 50yrs ago for grade school white children in all white communities. Society is quite different than it was 50yrs ago. I did not grow up in an environment like that at all.

Der Flöprer
02-17-2010, 11:24 PM
OK since you asked me to respond in person to defend my point I will.
You choose the easy way out to just say "it's bad, everyone knows that".
Instead of actually experiencing it all you're doing is on the outside looking in saying it's common sense which doesn't allow you to fully appreciate it.

It's kinda selfish to not try to understand ANYONE's struggle just to minimize it as stupid.

Your Holocaust stance is kinda ignorant also. You can look at all kinds of movies and history books and know that what Hitler has done was wrong but unless you've walked in someone's shows you can't appreciate what they've gone through.

I guess the best way I can explain it is... You feel little to no sympathy when the mother or father of someone you don't know dies until you experience what they've gone through yourself.

Only then will you gain an appreciation of what that unknown person went through. Don't see why this 1hr experiment wouldn't help you appreciate what prejudged people go through on the daily. Did I answer your question(s)?


I think it a bit much on your part to think I haven't experienced racism. Do you think white people can't experience racism? From the get-go your whole argument flawed because it assumes that I haven't experienced racism. And that would be the farthest thing from the truth. Ask anyone from Wichita what the 10th and Piatt area would be like for a little white boy growing up in that area, over 30yrs ago. And you think that wasn't a daily struggle. Pffft. I learned at an early age that racism comes from and is received by all races. Nobody is perfect.

Selfish to try to not understand anyone's struggle and minimize it as stupid? What? I'm not even sure what that means. But I'll take a guess and say I completely understand what racism is, i've experienced it, I've had 'struggles' with it as well. Again I will ask you. Are white people not subject to discrimination and racism?

My Holocaust analogy is completely spot-on. You're stating that I cannot understand or appreciate what racism and discrimination is until I have experienced it. Once again, we get back to you assuming that I have never experienced racism.

No, no white person has never been killed because they are white. :rolleyes:

But to get back to the original issue. I do not agree with this woman's methodology. This lesson was designed 50yrs ago for grade school white children in all white communities. Society is quite different than it was 50yrs ago. I did not grow up in an environment like that at all.

wutamess
02-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Probably doesn't make any sense. My bad.

Makes a lot of sense.
I didn't see those as racist moments... just pissed off moments regardless of race.

To put things in perspective, One of the guys we played weekly football with goes to one of the schools here in the district. One morning as I'm on my way to work I pull out to 350 to cross and I decide to let this guy cross the street in front of me. He's walking all slow not realizing who I was. So while he's taking his time right in front of my car, I hit the gas a little bit to almost hit his ass because he was taking my kindness for weakness.

He hurried up a lil bit and then turned around to see who I was recognized me and started smiling.

If I didn't know him I wouldn't have done that but it just goes to show you that an asshole is an asshole.

BTW: he's black so race wasn't an issue.

wutamess
02-17-2010, 11:28 PM
There an echo in here?

wutamess
02-17-2010, 11:30 PM
I think it a bit much on your part to think I haven't experienced racism. Do you think white people can't experience racism? From the get-go your whole argument flawed because it assumes that I haven't experienced racism. And that would be the farthest thing from the truth. Ask anyone from Wichita what the 10th and Piatt area would be like for a little white boy growing up in that area, over 30yrs ago. And you think that wasn't a daily struggle. Pffft. I learned at an early age that racism comes from and is received by all races. Nobody is perfect.

Selfish to try to not understand anyone's struggle and minimize it as stupid? What? I'm not even sure what that means. But I'll take a guess and say I completely understand what racism is, i've experienced it, I've had 'struggles' with it as well. Again I will ask you. Are white people not subject to discrimination and racism?

My Holocaust analogy is completely spot-on. You're stating that I cannot understand or appreciate what racism and discrimination is until I have experienced it. Once again, we get back to you assuming that I have never experienced racism.

No, no white person has never been killed because they are white. :rolleyes:

But to get back to the original issue. I do not agree with this woman's methodology. This lesson was designed 50yrs ago for grade school white children in all white communities. Society is quite different than it was 50yrs ago. I did not grow up in an environment like that at all.

The more you type the more you sound like the white school teacher in there. We'll just have to agree to disagree dude.

Saggysack
02-18-2010, 12:36 AM
The more you type the more you sound like the white school teacher in there. We'll just have to agree to disagree dude.

What a cop out of a response. Why can't you answer the question?

Are white people not subject to racism and discrimination? Is there a racial prerequisite to be able to experience, understand and know the effects that racism and discrimination have on people and society?

Simple yes or no questions.

wutamess
02-18-2010, 12:39 AM
Do I like being discriminated against? No.

Oh... That was ... DO YOU! As in keep doing what you do. Not a question.