PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues McCain faces Senate threat

Taco John
02-16-2010, 01:25 AM
Arizona Wranglers: McCain vs. Hayworth
Howard Fineman
I just got off the phone with the cheerfully overcaffeinated J. D. Hayworth, the former congressman who is challenging Sen. John McCain for the GOP Senate nomination in Arizona. "I love John and so do most people here," Hayworth told me. "But it's time for a new generation of conservative leadership here and across the country. John's been in Washington too long."

Whether a generational pitch can work is an open question. McCain is 73; Hayworth is 51, but McCain is as tough and weathered as beef jerky and still junkyard mean. I'm not sure I wouldn't pick him over the rangy-but-not-quite-ripped Hayworth in a steel-cage death match.

The better question is whether Hayworth can work the outside-inside, right-versus-harder-right game against McCain. Brute survival is what McCain's life saga is all about, and he has been methodically—shamelessly—moving toward the tea-party crowd from the moment he saw it forming on his horizon in Arizona.

Shrewdly, McCain made it his business to campaign early for Scott Brown in Massachusetts. He and Sarah Palin have established a cold peace, and she is backing his renomination. So is Dick Armey, the former GOP House leader who has become an organizing force at the conservative grassroots in red states.

A decade ago McCain was a centrist and media fave, a seemingly nonideological reformer who ran for president on his war biography, sense of humor and maverick openness. After Barack Obama won the election in 2008, I thought that McCain might offer his services as the young president's Republican go-between in the U.S. Senate.

I never learn; my naiveté continues to embarrass me.

McCain, bitter at his botched campaign and facing a tricky climate at home, wheeled to starboard in a hurry, opposing Obama at almost every turn and tamping down his sometimes brave anticorporate rhetoric. He went on the air with ads quickly and used his muscle with the FCC—or just the threat of it—to force Hayworth to quit his gig as a popular radio talk-show host in Phoenix.

Hayworth's core message in recent years has been about illegal immigration—and he has questioned what used to be McCain's deal-brokering, somewhat benign approach. He still accuses McCain of favoring "amnesty."

But, knowing McCain, I expect to see him out there patrolling the Mexican border with a strapped-on pair of six-shooters before too long—a rootin'-tootin' Yosemite Sam on his way to the next, if not the final, roundup.

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/thegaggle/archive/2010/02/10/arizona-wranglers-mccain-vs-hayworth.aspx

Guru
02-16-2010, 01:30 AM
God forbid people challenge our lifetime politicians. McCain will win by name only though. That is the problem with most lifers. More voters than not don't care enough to see if there might be something better.

Chocolate Hog
02-16-2010, 01:31 AM
See ya McCain

BucEyedPea
02-16-2010, 07:01 AM
I love it!

I hope this new guy isn't a NeoCon.

Norman Einstein
02-16-2010, 07:34 AM
God forbid people challenge our lifetime politicians. McCain will win by name only though. That is the problem with most lifers. More voters than not don't care enough to see if there might be something better.

If a politician isn't representing the people he/she needs to be fired. Period.

See ya McCain

Probably not, but if he goes it's of his own doing.

I love it!

Who cares who gets in to any seat? If they can do the job properly regardless of their party affiliation or line of thought we want that change.

We all see the change brought in by obot. He's not doing the job, nor will he.

Drizzle drazzle druzzle drone
time for obot to go home.

BucEyedPea
02-16-2010, 07:53 AM
Who cares who gets in to any seat? If they can do the job properly regardless of their party affiliation or line of thought we want that change.

I care. I care because a NeoCon won't bring the change I want. I want either a true small govt conservative or a right libertarian.

Garcia Bronco
02-16-2010, 07:57 AM
McCain should be in jail on 3 counts of impersonating a presidential candidate.

Otter
02-16-2010, 08:16 AM
I love it!

Me too. Arlen Spector's old, incumbent ass is next. Even if they aren't better at least we can send a message.

fan4ever
02-16-2010, 08:25 AM

That and the fact he has 5 million in campaign funding and Hayworth only 100k. Plus Palin and Scott Brown are expected to stump for him. I live here in AZ and McCain isn't as popular as many would think...we see him pretty much as a RINO with his McCain Feingold, and his Immigration Amnesty stance. Had he not picked Palin his running mate therefore invigorating the ticket, he might not have carried AZ.

That being said J.D. Hayworth is a huge dork but I like his politics. He's an old TV anchor and Radio talkshow host so he loves to hear himself talk. If he can tone down that portion of his personality he might have a chance. McCain is on the radio right now and the calls coming in are very critical.

BigRedChief
02-16-2010, 08:27 AM
McCain should be in jail on 3 counts of impersonating a presidential candidate.Right along side that dufus Dem candidate in Mass.

SNR
02-16-2010, 08:53 AM
I really want to see Strom McCain get outed.

BigRedChief
02-16-2010, 08:57 AM
I really want to see Strom McCain get outed.Joe the plumber is on Hannity tonight. That should do it.

King_Chief_Fan
02-16-2010, 10:00 AM

what about that guy who is impersonating a president that got elected?

patteeu
02-16-2010, 10:09 AM
I love it!

You won't like his positions any more than you like mine (or Ronald Reagan's real ones).

vailpass
02-16-2010, 10:11 AM

Would he have to share a cell with obama?

BigChiefFan
02-16-2010, 10:12 AM
Keating 5, role model.

Norman Einstein
02-16-2010, 10:27 AM
I care. I care because a NeoCon won't bring the change I want. I want either a true small govt conservative or a right libertarian.

I can pretty much guarantee you aren't going to get what you want so your expectations need to be lowered a bit.

BucEyedPea
02-16-2010, 10:28 AM
I can pretty much guarantee you aren't going to get what you want so your expectations need to be lowered a bit.

Sorry, I don't compromise with my integrity. It's more on certain issues I won't though.

Norman Einstein
02-16-2010, 10:31 AM
Sorry, I don't compromise with my integrity. It's more on certain issues I won't though.

You can have all the integrity you want but if you are going to be unhappy because someone is elected that you are not happy with your integrity won't give you much of a warm fuzzy at night. you will still be living in a country that is outside of any control you might feel you need.

BucEyedPea
02-16-2010, 10:34 AM
You can have all the integrity you want but if you are going to be unhappy because someone is elected that you are not happy with your integrity won't give you much of a warm fuzzy at night. you will still be living in a country that is outside of any control you might feel you ned.

So

Norman Einstein
02-16-2010, 10:50 AM
So

So if you can't function with what is presented (those that win elections) your integrity still won't buy you peace.

irishjayhawk
02-16-2010, 12:37 PM
I love it!

Are Tea Partiers neocons?

If so, we agree.

Guru
02-16-2010, 10:13 PM
If a politician isn't representing the people he/she needs to be fired. Period.

IN a round about way, that was my point. I love the idea of people challenging these lifers. Of course, if they would just instill term limits it would not longer be a problem.