PDA

View Full Version : Computers Dual Display Question

Otter
02-16-2010, 11:23 AM
When I'm playing pretty much any PC game or using many other applications in full Windowed mode I'm unable to access my second monitor without minimizing or putting aforementioned application in windowed mode.

Does anyone know of a small app or even a Windows function that would setup a hotkey(s) to switch to the second display and back without taking the game out of full window mode? Or anyway this can be done?

Basically I just want a full windowed app on one and Firefox on the other and to be able to use them simultaneously without changing window size of the 1st.

The Win+Alt+(left arrow or right arrow) hotkeys don't work unless it's in Windowed mode. I'm having a hell of a time finding a solution to this one.

I am nerd, hear me roar!

tymania
02-16-2010, 11:56 AM
When I'm playing pretty much any PC game or using any other application in full Windowed mode I'm unable to access my second monitor without minimizing or putting aforementioned application in windowed mode.

Does anyone know of a small app or even a Windows function that would setup a hotkey(s) to switch to the second display and back without taking the game out of full window mode? Or anyway this can be done?

Basically I just want a full windowed app on one and Firefox on the other and to be able to use them simultaneously without changing window size of the 1st.

The Win+Alt+(left arrow or right arrow) hotkeys don't work unless it's in Windowed mode. I'm having a hell of a time finding a solution to this one.

I am nerd, hear me roar!
Can I read my e-mail on the second monitor while playing a game?
This sounds great in theory, but usually doesn't work well. Here's why:

1. To use your e-mail or other program on the second monitor, you'll have to switch away from the game. Most games will minimize and pause when you do this.
2. If your second monitor is to the right of the primary monitor, there's another problem: if the game changes the display resolution, the applications on the second monitor will be moved partly off the monitor. The only workaround is to run the game at the same resolution as the Windows desktop.

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/faq.asp#GameEmail

According to that, it sounds like this can be quite difficult and may not be possible..

Have you tried running the game on your secondary monitor and then using your primary monitor for the web browser?

tymania
02-16-2010, 12:02 PM
another link to a message board about this.. maybe this will be more help

http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/index.php/t-50794.html

Otter
02-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Can I read my e-mail on the second monitor while playing a game?
This sounds great in theory, but usually doesn't work well. Here's why:

1. To use your e-mail or other program on the second monitor, you'll have to switch away from the game. Most games will minimize and pause when you do this.
2. If your second monitor is to the right of the primary monitor, there's another problem: if the game changes the display resolution, the applications on the second monitor will be moved partly off the monitor. The only workaround is to run the game at the same resolution as the Windows desktop.

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/faq.asp#GameEmail

According to that, it sounds like this can be quite difficult and may not be possible..

Have you tried running the game on your secondary monitor and then using your primary monitor for the web browser?

No, I haven't tried that but the problem lies that the main monitor is an ASUS 24" and the second is a Sony 17". I wonder if I can reverse the display assignments so Windows things the ASUS is the secondary to get this to work.

Maybe I'm missing some fundamental graphics concept here but it seems odd this is so difficult. Thanks for the input though, it's another possibility to look into.

tymania
02-16-2010, 12:13 PM
No, I haven't tried that but the problem lies that the main monitor is an ASUS 24" and the second is a Sony 17". I wonder if I can reverse the display assignments so Windows things the ASUS is the secondary to get this to work.

Maybe I'm missing some fundamental graphics concept here but it seems odd this is so difficult. Thanks for the input though, it's another possibility to look into.

just for kicks and giggles to see if it makes a difference.. i would try setting up the ASUS as the secondary and the SONY as the primary.. i am assuming you have two graphics cards? is the second one DVI?

Otter
02-16-2010, 12:21 PM
just for kicks and giggles to see if it makes a difference.. i would try setting up the ASUS as the secondary and the SONY as the primary.. i am assuming you have two graphics cards? is the second one DVI?

Yes, dual 4850 Ice Q4s - both cards have dual DVI output.

tymania
02-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Yes, dual 4850 Ice Q4s - both cards have dual DVI output.

i know i had some difficulty running windows media player full screen on my secondary monitor which was DVI.. i had to run it in full screen on my primary monitor which was VGA and do my other stuff on the secondary monitor(DVI).. I have no clue why.. in theory it shouldnt make a difference..