PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Food Wars: Bryants vs Gates

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
02-16-2010, 02:59 PM
From a Facebook feed:

"Food Wars", a new series airing this Spring on the Travel Channel, is coming to Kansas City. Our host is visiting cities around the country to learn about an iconic food in the area and the two restaurants known to serve it up best. Next stop: Arthur Bryant's and Gates for their famous BBQ. It is a three day shoot- one day at each restaurant, and a 3rd day where we bring owners/employees/customers from both locations to watch a 5 person panel take part in a blind taste test. It's all in good fun and it's great publicity for both restaurants and the city. We would love for you to help us out by messaging those in the Arthur Bryant fan group to help inform people about the filming, start to build a crowd, and even seek out some Arthur Bryant's Super Fans. Here is the information we have as of now:

Friday, February 26th

Saturday, February 27th

Sunday, February 28th

For more details please contact: FoodFanCasting@gmail.com

Stewie
02-16-2010, 03:11 PM
These BBQ joints were good 25 years ago... they've been surpassed.

Chocolate Hog
02-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Hopefully they don't eat at the one downtown the camera crew might get robbed.

phisherman
02-16-2010, 03:18 PM
It's hard to compare the two; completely different flavors of BBQ. Both are delicious though.

Geez Billay, dramatic much? I've been to both of these locations numerous times in both day and night and never felt in danger or threatened at all.

|Zach|
02-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Hopefully they don't eat at the one downtown the camera crew might get robbed.

Have you ever lived in downtown Kansas City?

Chocolate Hog
02-16-2010, 03:25 PM

I worked down there it's a shithole.

Tango&Cash
02-16-2010, 03:25 PM

The Gates location over off of Emanuel Cleaver Blvd isn't exactly the best place in town. Over by the Paseo/Van Burent (sp?)

There's alot of crime in that area.

|Zach|
02-16-2010, 03:34 PM
I worked down there it's a shithole.

It is a big city...

I think crime in the KC area is overblown. Do random bits of crime happen? Absolutely.

You are not an idiot and keep out of bad situations, you are rarely going to run into any kind of problem.

Chocolate Hog
02-16-2010, 03:35 PM
It is a big city...

I think crime in the KC area is overblown. Do random bits of crime happen? Absolutely.

You are not an idiot and keep out of bad situations, you are rarely going to run into any kind of problem.

I agree. I was joking about the camera crew getting robbed however its probably not a good look that Author Bryants downtown has a security guard.

|Zach|
02-16-2010, 03:38 PM
I agree. I was joking about the camera crew getting robbed however its probably not a good look that Author Bryants downtown has a security guard.

I just get so sick of people who talk about how dangerous they think Kansas City is...and they almost never fucking live there. LMAO

Chocolate Hog
02-16-2010, 03:39 PM
I do have some pretty intresting stories about working down by the Jazz distrct.

KCrockaholic
02-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Eh, I don't consider either of them the best in KC. I don't care much for Arthur Bryants though.

Chocolate Hog
02-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Ok Joes is the best IMO.

KCrockaholic
02-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Ok Joes is the best IMO.

They are atleast top 2. IDK who #1 should be. Its a tough call me for.

|Zach|
02-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Arthur Bryants is my fav.

melbar
02-16-2010, 03:49 PM
BB's backyard BBQ.

whatsmynameagain
02-16-2010, 03:52 PM
both are weak, oklahoma joes is the bottle on the top shelf. no comparison. i had a zman today mmmmmmmmmmm.....
Posted via Mobile Device

|Zach|
02-16-2010, 03:53 PM
I like OK Joe's I don't like it as much as most though...for whatever reason. Maybe it is because I like beef more so than anything else.

okiedokieokoye
02-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Hands down best two in KC. I have several bottles of each kind of sauce in my kitchen. I want to be a part of the taste test.

Reaper16
02-16-2010, 03:57 PM
It is a big city...

Its tricky. There are a lot of people who are afraid to go downtown or go to Westport out of fear of crime. Those people are generally wrong. That said, the crime problem isn't overblown. Its murderpalooza in KC, only its black-on-black crime, the vast majority of which is gang and drug related.

If you're white, you're basically safe. Not a lot of innocents get gunned down in KC, not on purpose.

Reaper16
02-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Both have fallen off. But AB's has always wiped the floor with Gates, still does, and will do so in this contest.

KCrockaholic
02-16-2010, 04:00 PM
This thread should be brought back before the show comes on. I want to watch the show, but I will forget unless this is brought back.

Dante84
02-16-2010, 04:04 PM
I get a huge sense of pride when I walk in to Arthur Bryants for lunch sometimes on particularly hungry lunch days.

The history in there is just incredible. It's like I'm eating something really fucking important, a staple of KC and it's BBQ legend. Literally, one of the best places in the world for BBQ.

KC has the best, it is among the best in the city.

|Zach|
02-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Its tricky. There are a lot of people who are afraid to go downtown or go to Westport out of fear of crime. Those people are generally wrong. That said, the crime problem isn't overblown. Its murderpalooza in KC, only its black-on-black crime, the vast majority of which is gang and drug related.

If you're white, you're basically safe. Not a lot of innocents get gunned down in KC, not on purpose.
Yea. That is kind of my main point.

I don't think KC is a pristine city or pleasentville or anything.

But if you go out...don't act like an idiot. Don't put yourself in danger by being involved in illegal or shady activities. You are pretty much good to go.

9 out of 10 times it is people finding trouble not the other way around.

seaofred
02-16-2010, 05:22 PM
I had Gates for the 1st time this last weekend and it was AMAZING!

Sure-Oz
02-16-2010, 05:51 PM
I like Ok Joes better than gates and jack stack. but still love all 3...

Havent tried AB's

Priest31kc
02-16-2010, 06:07 PM
I havent been to any of the BBQ joints in KC yet, but plan to very soon. Which one should I try first? Im leaning towards Oklahoma Joes, but Arthur Bryant's seems to get alot of good reviews too.

Dante84
02-16-2010, 06:10 PM
I havent been to any of the BBQ joints in KC yet, but plan to very soon. Which one should I try first? Im leaning towards Oklahoma Joes, but Arthur Bryant's seems to get alot of good reviews too.

Do Okie Joes (more modern, absofuckinglutely delicious--- get a Zman + fries) and also Do Arthur Bryant's.... DOWNTOWN. It's a classic.

KCrockaholic
02-16-2010, 06:12 PM
I like Ok Joes better than gates and jack stack. but still love all 3...

Havent tried AB's

I found a worm in my steak at Jack Stack... I never went back.

Sure-Oz
02-16-2010, 06:14 PM

that had to have sucked

my parents always cater jackstack for family dinners, ive had it almost too much but still like it. Probably why i prefer other bbq most of the time cause its different. I want to try AB's now

KCrockaholic
02-16-2010, 06:16 PM
that had to have sucked

my parents always cater jackstack for family dinners, ive had it almost too much but still like it. Probably why i prefer other bbq most of the time cause its different. I want to try AB's now

Same here. I've never understood it. I like the environment and all, but I can't look at the place without wanting to barf. I wanted a damn steak with sauce, not a worm.

Dante84
02-16-2010, 06:16 PM
that had to have sucked

Bring two stomachs. Or prepare for leftovers.

Priest31kc
02-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Do Okie Joes (more modern, abso****inglutely delicious--- get a Zman + fries) and also Do Arthur Bryant's.... DOWNTOWN. It's a classic.

Yeah Ill probably go to Oklahoma Joes first, then Arthur Bryants.

Then what? Jack Stack or Gates?

KCrockaholic
02-16-2010, 06:17 PM

Gates.

Brock
02-16-2010, 06:19 PM
http://georgeblowfish.com/BBQ.html

Blowfish lays it all out for you.

Dante84
02-16-2010, 06:19 PM

I'd do gates.... then the stack. Easier transition.

Jack Stack is a little more high end than the others. Get the Cheesy Corn Bake. Get a damn gallon of it.

If I was on death row, that would be a side at my last meal.

Reaper16
02-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Your first problem was ordering a fucking steak in the first place. Also, if the location you went to freaked you out then there are three other Jack Stack locations you could try.

Reaper16
02-16-2010, 06:24 PM

Booooo.

KCrockaholic
02-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Your first problem was ordering a ****ing steak in the first place. Also, if the location you went to freaked you out then there are three other Jack Stack locations you could try.

So whats wrong with steaks?

Reaper16
02-16-2010, 06:26 PM
So whats wrong with steaks?
Nothing is wrong with steak. But if I am at a barbecue restaurant in the barbecue capital of Earth, then I'm ordering barbecue. It seems strange not to.

KCrockaholic
02-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Nothing is wrong with steak. But if I am at a barbecue restaurant in the barbecue capital of Earth, then I'm ordering barbecue. It seems strange not to.

Dude, I had been there many times before that. I used to live a few miles from a Jack Stack in KC. I just wanted to try the steak. Now, If I was on vacation and had never been there I would have gone for the ribs.

Sure-Oz
02-16-2010, 06:32 PM
Booooo.

What are you booing? I disagree about the fries comment on OK Joes, they are perfect fries, i call them crack fries, addicting. I think OK Joes should be higher

Reaper16
02-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Dude, I had been there many times before that. I used to live a few miles from a Jack Stack in KC. I just wanted to try the steak. Now, If I was on vacation and had never been there I would have gone for the ribs.
Compromise: after avoiding it for years because of its price tag, I finally had Jack Stack's crown prime beef ribs last week. Delicious. Tastes like bbq, eats like steak. Humans shouldn't be able to finish the three bones they give you in one sitting.

Brock
02-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Anybody ever tried the brisket at Hereford House?

KCrockaholic
02-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Compromise: after avoiding it for years because of its price tag, I finally had Jack Stack's crown prime beef ribs last week. Delicious. Tastes like bbq, eats like steak. Humans shouldn't be able to finish the three bones they give you in one sitting.

I can't deny that it wasn't good. I think the part that bothered me the most was how the host treated me and our party after the worm was shown to them. He seemed to not really care that my food was tainted, almost like it happens all the time. I would prefer OK Joe's over most of the BBQ in KC. I have to stop in everytime I visit.

Reaper16
02-16-2010, 06:37 PM
What are you booing? I disagree about the fries comment on OK Joes, they are perfect fries, i call them crack fries, addicting. I think OK Joes should be higher
I have vehemently disagreed with gblowfish about his list over the years. The whole thing is atrocious to me, and not just because of notable exclusions (Woodyard, Smokin' Guns). I mean, he has Rosedale up on his top tier. It hasn't been good for like seven years, if that. Gates has no place being at the top tier. Bryant's doesn't either, because of rampant inconsistency; I can cede that one because they're still capable of good, even great food. The 3-pig tier is insane -- he's placed a Famous Dave's alongside L.C.'s and OK Joe's. Its lunacy or a poor palate, maybe both.

Priest31kc
02-16-2010, 06:38 PM

hhhmmm never seen anyone mention Rosedale.

Sure-Oz
02-16-2010, 06:39 PM
I have vehemently disagreed with gblowfish about his list over the years. The whole thing is atrocious to me, and not just because of notable exclusions (Woodyard, Smokin' Guns). I mean, he has Rosedale up on his top tier. It hasn't been good for like seven years, if that. Gates has no place being at the top tier. Bryant's doesn't either, because of rampant inconsistency; I can cede that one because they're still capable of good, even great food. The 3-pig tier is insane -- he's placed a Famous Dave's alongside L.C.'s and OK Joe's. Its lunacy or a poor palate, maybe both.

The Famous Daves definetly stuck out on that 3 pig list...lol that is an insult to OK joes, which i almost take personal!

|Zach|
02-16-2010, 06:40 PM
hhhmmm never seen anyone mention Rosedale.

I love Rosedale...I think it is great. It is my favorite BBQ joint aside from the Big 3...Gates...Bryants...OK Joe's.

ChiefsCountry
Im a Gates fan. My friend's in the Army in Bama and when he came up for the last game we had to hit up some Gates. He was craving real BBQ.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sure-Oz

I think you should write up a list now lol

|Zach|
02-16-2010, 06:41 PM
I went into Famous Daves being conditioned not to like it. It isn't Kansas City. But it really is pretty good.

Reaper16
02-16-2010, 06:45 PM
I love Rosedale...I think it is great. It is my favorite BBQ joint aside from the Big 3...Gates...Bryants...OK Joe's.
Well, you've convinced me to reconsider Rosedale. I haven't been for many years now; I will be going soon because I trust yo...
I went into Famous Daves being conditioned not to like it. It isn't Kansas City. But it really is pretty good.
... Oh. Um. Then again...

Brock
02-16-2010, 06:46 PM
I don't care what anyone else thinks, Famous Dave's was pretty good.

|Zach|
02-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Well, you've convinced me to reconsider Rosedale. I haven't been for many years now; I will be going soon because I trust yo...

... Oh. Um. Then again...

Ha, I enjoy Rosedales for what it is...it is more simple of a place...laid back. It is a "sleeper" pick.

Against with Famous Daves. I didn't really want to like it but it was pretty enjoyable. Not on par with a lot of the places mentioned in this thread but a good meal.

Reaper16
02-16-2010, 06:50 PM
I could cede that Famous Dave's is moderately tasty southern-style food. After all, there are a lot of saucy rib joints in the south that don't actually serve barbecue (despite what they call their food). Its like Miller Lite -- Miller calls that beer a "triple-hops-brewed pilsner," despite the beer not having anay discernible hop flavor nor exhibiting the aromatic or flavor qualities of pilsner beer. Feel free and enjoy it, but it ain't what it says it is.

|Zach|
02-16-2010, 06:59 PM
I don't care what anyone else thinks, Famous Dave's was pretty good.

Agreed, on my birthday me and a few friends where shooting around town and we got really hungry. FD's was right down the street...we saw they had a big platter. It was a ton of food but real good.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2yv1bfc.jpg

DeezNutz
02-16-2010, 07:11 PM
I'm a fan of Gates.

But when you're going to OK Joe's, what's your #1 item of choice?

Sure-Oz
02-16-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm a fan of Gates.

I like the Z-man or the pulled pork

it's pure ownage

the crack fries, hungry now

DeezNutz
02-16-2010, 07:46 PM
I like the Z-man or the pulled pork

it's pure ownage

the crack fries, hungry now

The Z-man? Hmm...must Google.

Sure-Oz
02-16-2010, 07:47 PM
The Z-man? Hmm...must Google.

The Z-Man is brisket, smoked provolone topped with two onion rings on a kaiser bun.

DeezNutz
02-16-2010, 07:48 PM
The Z-Man is brisket, smoked provolone topped with two onion rings on a kaiser bun.

Damn. That does sound good.

Sure-Oz
02-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Damn. That does sound good.

You'll definetly have to go to ok joes soon. It's great stuff.

As for fantasy baseball, i'll see if my buddy sets one up again and i'll shoot ya a pm.

Reaper16
02-16-2010, 09:02 PM
I'm a fan of Gates.

1.) Burnt Ends (Wednesday dinner special only)
2.) 1/2 pound (or 1 pound if I'm famished) of pulled pork
3.) Jumbo Hog Heaven (pulled pork & sausage sandwich)
4.) Rib & 1 meat dinner
5.) 1/2 chicken
6.) Jumbo Z-Man
7.) Jumbo Turkey Heaven (off-menu; Hog Heaven w/ turkey instead of pork. Workers know it by this name)

Priest31kc
02-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Who has the best sauce out of Gates, ABs, Jack Stack & Oklahoma Joes?

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
02-16-2010, 09:22 PM
ALL-->

In my original post I accidentally left off the email address you can write to request to be on the taste test panel.

Sorry!

Marty

Saulbadguy
02-16-2010, 09:29 PM
I've been to 3 different Famous Daves, each time the meal was lukewarm at best.

I love Bryants but the last few times I've been there the food has been cold.

petegz28
02-16-2010, 09:32 PM
AB's meat + Gate's sauce=DELISH!

stlchiefs
02-16-2010, 09:33 PM

OK Joes - Night of the Living Sauce = that sauce ROCKS! :thumb:

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
02-16-2010, 09:34 PM
I love Gates dry seasoning and use it in every meal I make from tacos to hot dogs to ribs to meat loaf. Good chit.

ChiefsCountry
02-16-2010, 09:34 PM

Gates
Posted via Mobile Device

petegz28
02-16-2010, 09:35 PM
I've been to 3 different Famous Daves, each time the meal was lukewarm at best.

I love Bryants but the last few times I've been there the food has been cold.

I don't care for Famous Dave's at all. At all, I say!

melbar
02-16-2010, 09:35 PM
I'm tellin you....BB's has great food and the joint really has atmosphere. Live blues. Huge tater wedges. Lots of KC memorabilia. Anyone else been?

petegz28
02-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Gates
Posted via Mobile Device

Agree. Gates is the best sauce.

petegz28
02-16-2010, 09:37 PM
I'm tellin you....BB's has great food and the joint really has atmosphere. Live blues. Huge tater wedges. Lots of KC memorabilia. Anyone else been?

BB's is good, but their sauce is sweeeet. Almost too sweet.

melbar
02-16-2010, 09:39 PM
BB's is good, but their sauce is sweeeet. Almost too sweet.

Ya I hear you there, but the meat is really good. Course i'm not a fan of sour vinagery sauces either... More of a hot and sweet lover here.

petegz28
02-16-2010, 09:41 PM
Ya I hear you there, but the meat is really good. Course i'm not a fan of sour vinagery sauces either... More of a hot and sweet lover here.

I like sweet too, but theirs is really sweet.

Reaper16
02-16-2010, 09:48 PM
My favorite sauce in KC is Oklahoma Joe's, but I also use sauce conservatively. Great barbecue doesn't need it.

That said, if you love Arthur Bryant's sauce then that will be your favorite. Those who love AB's sauce really fucking love it, to the point of obsession and night sweats.

kitten_mittons
02-16-2010, 10:00 PM
TV show is stupid without putting OK Joe's on there. Dumb. Idiotic. Retarded.

Reaper16
02-16-2010, 10:03 PM
TV show is stupid without putting OK Joe's on there. Dumb. Idiotic. Retarded.
No it isn't dumb. The show is called Food Wars and is about long-time food rivalries. Bryant's vs Gates is a historic, epic rivalry in KC and one that is known throughout the country.

kitten_mittons
02-16-2010, 10:12 PM
No it isn't dumb. The show is called Food Wars and is about long-time food rivalries. Bryant's vs Gates is a historic, epic failure and one that is known throughout the country.

FYP

Priest31kc
02-16-2010, 10:13 PM
So Gates has the best sauce....since most ppl think AB & Ok Joes is the best, Im guessing Gates' meat isnt as great?

Reaper16
02-16-2010, 10:24 PM
So Gates has the best sauce....since most ppl think AB & Ok Joes is the best, Im guessing Gates' meat isnt as great?
It doesn't have the best sauce. Also, fuck a Gates.

ChiefGator
02-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Hmmm... how much BBQ can I pack into a four day trip to KC?

Definitely coming up for a game this year. Hopefully around October-ish. Now I have like four places to go to.

I went to the Gates near the Jazz district last time I think. It was good and huge...

Sure-Oz
02-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Gates sauce is pretty good but def. not the best

Sure-Oz
02-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Hmmm... how much BBQ can I pack into a four day trip to KC?

Definitely coming up for a game this year. Hopefully around October-ish. Now I have like four places to go to.

I went to the Gates near the Jazz district last time I think. It was good and huge...

Eat veggies and bland shit so you can pig the fuck out when you're in town

Chocolate Hog
02-16-2010, 10:38 PM
Some of you act like Gates & AB's is Wyandotte BBQ.

luv
02-16-2010, 10:38 PM
This is the weekend I'm in town.

ChiefGator
02-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Eat veggies and bland shit so you can pig the **** out when you're in town

Yep.. gotta start preparing the girl for it.... BBQ every night and blue/jazz places at night. Man, I pity the hotel room for the smells it's going to experience...

Extra Point
02-16-2010, 10:47 PM
OK Joe's Carolina Pulled Pork
Arthur Bryant's Beef and Ham Combo
Arthur Bryant's Fries
Smokehouse Beans
Jack Stack's Cornbake
Drumstick from the cold section of Price Chopper

After the treasure hunt, sack out at a KC hotel or your crib if you live in KC.

You're done.

Reaper16
02-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Some of you act like Gates & AB's is Wyandotte BBQ.
Gates would be fucking tremendous in most places in the United States. But in KC? The standards are higher here than anywhere else, and those standards have surpasses Gates & Sons' abilities. Bryant's is frustratingly inconsistent. One day you may catch the food at the level it was four years ago. Most days you'll only get a pale imitation of what it was. That pale imitation, however, would rock the socks off of the population of most states.

Extra Point
02-16-2010, 10:48 PM
If you think cinnamon is an integral part of barbecue, then Rosedale is for you.

"With all the things that you can do, the circus is the place for you!"

Bi_polar
02-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Gates is the easy winner here, how can you argue with a big fat black woman w/ attitudes, serving you a big assed triple decker ham and beef on wonder-bread?

Raiderhater58
02-17-2010, 04:17 AM
AB's beef and ham combo - no sauce (unless you like gritty sauce)
OK Joes slab of ribs
AB's fries
Gates BBQ beans, cole slaw, potato salad
Famous Daves cornbread muffins
and either OK Joes or Gates Original sauce (a true connoisseur always has both on hand)

and that my friends is THE ULTIMATE BBQ Meal

tyton75
02-17-2010, 05:09 AM
Sauces:

AB's is best on Pork, and their sliced pork beats everyone in the city hands down

Gates is best on Brisket IMO..

but most brisket in the city is about the same.. except maybe Jack Stack, but they use a lot of MSG or salt.. so...

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-17-2010, 05:25 AM
Jesus H. Christ you fucking n00bs; do I have to hip you to everything about KC?

One time:

You go to Bryant's and order meat and fries to GO. You a get a big-assed portion for your $$$$, and then you flavor that bitch with the sauce of your choosing that you have carefully picked and stashed away before you even walked in to the joint.
You take it home or to your room, you eat with great abandon, and then you fuck your significant other like a wet June Bride.

Your welcome.

pkane
02-17-2010, 07:12 AM

No, There meat is awful IMO, especially their brisket, always seems fatty.

I like their sauce, one of the best around.

MOhillbilly
02-17-2010, 08:39 AM

AB Sweet Heat is the best commercial Q sauce evah! I love that shit.

MOhillbilly
02-17-2010, 08:40 AM
My favorite sauce in KC is Oklahoma Joe's, but I also use sauce conservatively. Great barbecue doesn't need it.

That said, if you love Arthur Bryant's sauce then that will be your favorite. Those who love AB's sauce really ****ing love it, to the point of obsession and night sweats.

im gettin the shakes just readin this post....

Sure-Oz
02-17-2010, 09:46 AM
I don't use alot of sauce either, but i love ok joes sauce....i love trying diff sauces though.

What sauce do you guys suggest for meatballs on a crockpot?

MOhillbilly
02-17-2010, 09:50 AM
you know whats awesome?

hyvees pineapple brauts & AB sweet heat.

i will forever be grateful to JSP for the heads up on the brauts.