PDA

View Full Version : Media This is exactly why I detest PETA

banyon
02-17-2010, 02:13 PM
PETA versus the Westminster Dog Show
February 17, 12:40 PM
Examiner John Lee-

http://snsimages.tribune.com/media/photo/2010-02/23837114591880-17105305.jpg

The Westminster Dog Show is the premier event of the dog world each year. It is signified with pomp and ceremony, strobing flash units, and big newspaper headlines. The biggest supporters of the dog world step out, and enjoy watching their champions, or favorite breed of dog strut their stuff.

True, it is an event for the elite. Significant amounts of money will change hands during the event and much of what goes on during the show is far removed from the world of the ordinary dog owner. But, are these reasons to disrespect the event and the people involved?

The disruption caused by PETA at this year's show was completely uncalled for. It was a misdirected shot in the dark that will eventually come back on PETA and hopefully spark some in-depth investigations into their goals and practices.

Originally, there were some good sounding ideas coming out of PETA. But over the last decade these ideas have become perverted by extremist factions. Their name has become synonymous with public disrespect of individuals and organizations and inexcusable acts of violence and destruction.

It would be nice to see the individuals and organizations involved with the Westminster Dog Show ban together and launch an in-depth investigation into PETA. Also, legal action wouldn't be a bad idea after the shinanigans exhibited this year

One last little suggestion: The members of PETA should log on to the website of Homeland Security. If they look far enough they will find the official definition of terrorism. Some extremist members of PETA have stepped across the line between public spirited debate and action and fallen into the dark side of terrorist coercion. Perhaps the more calm and mature members of PETA should sit down and think very carefully about their next move.

http://www.examiner.com/x-17156-German-Shepherd-Examiner~y2010m2d17-How-about-a-chuckle-or-two

Donger
02-17-2010, 02:15 PM
WTF? Those dogs are better treated than many humans. Talk about misguided.

Cave Johnson
02-17-2010, 02:17 PM
F PETA. Their kill rate on animals they take in is atrocious.

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/petasdirtysecret.cfm

NewChief
02-17-2010, 02:18 PM
Yeah. They have good points and do some good work, but then they reveal their batshit crazy side with stuff like this.

Brock
02-17-2010, 02:19 PM
They don't have any good points, and they don't do anything that should be done.

wild1
02-17-2010, 02:20 PM
WTF? Those dogs are better treated than many humans. Talk about misguided.

I think their point is that rather than patronizing breeders, people should draw from the pool of dogs currently available at shelters for pets. I don't disagree with that.

HonestChieffan
02-17-2010, 02:22 PM
The extent of the protest was this woman with a sign?

Donger
02-17-2010, 02:22 PM
I think their point is that rather than patronizing breeders, people should draw from the pool of dogs currently available at shelters for pets. I don't disagree with that.

These aren't just pets. These dogs are for show. You aren't going to find many (if any) show-quality dogs at a shelter.

Chiefnj2
02-17-2010, 02:24 PM
PETA is a great organization because, IMO, they are largely incompetent. They take in millions and waste all of their money on stupid stunts.

Radar Chief
02-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Fuck PETA. They kill over 90% of the cats and dogs they take in. They’re not even trying to find them homes. :cuss:

wild1
02-17-2010, 02:26 PM
These aren't just pets. These dogs are for show. You aren't going to find many (if any) show-quality dogs at a shelter.

Yes, but the vast majority of dogs purchased from breeders are bought to be house pets, not for show.

The PETA folks seem to feel that animals from shelters are fine for house pets.

BIG_DADDY
02-17-2010, 02:29 PM
They don't have any good points, and they don't do anything that should be done.

Sounds a lot like you.

NewChief
02-17-2010, 02:30 PM
I think PETA exposed the whole "downed cow" thing that was a pretty serious health risk.

Brock
02-17-2010, 02:31 PM
Sounds a lot like you.

Coming from a paranoid turd such as yourself, it means a lot.

HonestChieffan
02-17-2010, 02:31 PM
Its a "downer" cow.

What exactly was the health risk?

Donger
02-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Yes, but the vast majority of dogs purchased from breeders are bought to be house pets, not for show.

Then why is this twunt "protesting" at a dog show?

KC native
02-17-2010, 02:35 PM
**** PETA. They kill over 90% of the cats and dogs they take in. They’re not even trying to find them homes. :cuss:

Yea, I can't stand PETA. I'm for animal rights but these fucks go way too far. They don't think people should own pets at all which is why their kill rates are so high. The jump on board with Breed Specific Legislation people (those that try to ban pit bulls, rotties, etc) because they feel that's the path to prohibiting all pet ownership.

fan4ever
02-17-2010, 02:36 PM
What's stupid is that she's protesting in a venue where most of these people cherish their animals...congrats you crazy libs...the "class envy" you embrace has now trickled down to the dog world...like most kooks they just can't find enough stuff to bitch about.

wild1
02-17-2010, 02:36 PM

They basically hate all domestication, so they would have a dim view of such a show. But the immediate reason is probably that they just jump in front of cameras wherever they may be.

KC native
02-17-2010, 02:37 PM

No, PETA ultimately wants to do away with pet ownership.

Donger
02-17-2010, 02:38 PM
They want to do away with pet ownership? So, they'd prefer to have billions of animals just wandering the countryside?

fan4ever
02-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Yea, I can't stand PETA. I'm for animal rights but these ****s go way too far. They don't think people should own pets at all which is why their kill rates are so high. The jump on board with Breed Specific Legislation people (those that try to ban pit bulls, rotties, etc) because they feel that's the path to prohibiting all pet ownership.

Animals are equal...no, SUPERIOR to us humans, because they don't possess our inner evil...all animals are beautiful, inside and out...just ask the guy who got eaten by the Grizzly a few years back.

banyon
02-17-2010, 02:40 PM
Last year, they dressed in KKK garb.

Why they decided to waste political efforts on the "purebred v. mongrel 'issue'" when there are people in Haiti who can't get medical care or clean water is exactly why their tone-deaf politics won't ever persuade anyone of anything.

I don't even like the fact that they are considered part of the environmental movement. People might think sustainability advocates somehow agreed with this nonsense.

fan4ever
02-17-2010, 02:40 PM

I was kind of excited at first...my dyslexia had me reading two "f"s instead of "t"s.

BIG_DADDY
02-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Coming from a paranoid turd such as yourself, it means a lot.

Being a group home by product I would have thought you would have come out armed with a little better smaque than that. What's next in your arsenal, poo poo face?

banyon
02-17-2010, 02:42 PM
What's stupid is that she's protesting in a venue where most of these people cherish their animals...congrats you crazy libs...the "class envy" you embrace has now trickled down to the dog world...like most kooks they just can't find enough stuff to bitch about.

See, people lump these morons in as just "you crazy libs".

Radar Chief
02-17-2010, 02:43 PM
They want to do away with pet ownership? So, they'd prefer to have billions of animals just wandering the countryside?

In PETA’s opinion you aren’t capable of properly caring for a pet, only a select few enlightened one’s like PETA members are, so it’s better that pets be euthanized.

wild1
02-17-2010, 02:43 PM
No, PETA ultimately wants to do away with pet ownership.

Well, true. I mean they'd rather people were using the shelters versus breeders. They seem to be fine with incremental actions.

NewChief
02-17-2010, 02:44 PM
Its a "downer" cow.

What exactly was the health risk?

Downer cows have a higher incident/risk of mad cow as well as e.coli due to the fact that they're wallowing in shit.

KC native
02-17-2010, 02:44 PM

Like I said, I can't stand those fucks. They do a disservice to the animal rights movement. Also, I love pit bulls and will always own one. PETA likes to latch onto BSL and help fund those measures because they think it will eventually lead to a ban on pet ownership. PETA can go blow a goat.

fan4ever
02-17-2010, 02:45 PM
See, people lump these morons in as just "you crazy libs".

You a crazy lib? There's a difference to me...to you?

banyon

Breed is very important in dog ownership. The bond between canines and humans is special and sometimes a breed is going to have certain traits that make them more suitable for certain living arrangements.

What about police and handicapped assistance with dogs specifically bred to be able to perform important tasks? Should my PD just go down and grab a mutt and hope it can show them to some narcotics?

BIG_DADDY

PETA and the HSUS want to eliminate all domestic ownership of animals and get rid of any animal that is a product of human selective breeding.

Brock
02-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Being a group home by product I would have thought you would have come out armed with a little better smaque than that. What's next in your arsenal, poo poo face?

It's good to know that the next generation of stupid has arrived.

wild1
02-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Breed is very important in dog ownership. The bond between canines and humans is special and sometimes a breed is going to have certain traits that make them more suitable for certain living arrangements.

What about police and handicapped assistance with dogs specifically bred to be able to perform important tasks? Should my PD just go down and grab a mutt and hope it can show them to some narcotics?

No - I'm not condemning dog breeding. I would just like it if the average person getting a dog because their kids won't stop bugging them would go to the shelter versus throwing hundreds of dollars at a breeder.

I don't think I am making a controversial statement, that I would rather dogs be adopted instead of destroyed.

NewChief
02-17-2010, 02:49 PM
I don't really want to get into a position of defending PETA here, either. I was just trying to their role as a watchdog. Unfortunately, they do a hell of a lot more harm than good for any kind of animal rights, and their entire underlying philosophy is fucked.

Brock
02-17-2010, 02:52 PM
A lot of purebred dogs do end up in shelters. Of course, you have to neuter or spay them before you can take them home.

KC native
02-17-2010, 02:52 PM

Breed is unimportant for a vast majority of pet owners. Unless you have specific reason (service, police work, or a cause) then most people don't need a specific breed. I personally own pits because to me they are the All American dog and they catch a bad rap. I don't show my dogs so I get mine fixed and anyone else who owns a pit but doesn't show them gets a huge lecture from me about it. (edit: I do a lot of educating wrt the breed as well. Pits are extremely overbred and end up in bad homes because the person thought pits were cool. I've talked several people into taking their dogs to a shelter because they weren't cut out for pit bull ownership).

That being said a large number of breeds can be trained for a lot of different types of work. There are several examples of pit bulls being used in police work and service work. Hell, my grandfather was Captain of the K-9 and Helicopter unit for KCPD and during his time there they phased out Doberman Pinschers, Rotties, German Shepards and ended up with Belgian Mallinoix (sp?). I don't know if they've stuck with the Belgians but fads come and go in work related disciplines as well.

KC native
02-17-2010, 02:53 PM
I don't really want to get into a position of defending PETA here, either. I was just trying to their role as a watchdog. Unfortunately, they do a hell of a lot more harm than good for any kind of animal rights, and their entire underlying philosophy is ****ed.

THIS the good work they do is overshadowed but their ulterior motives.

KC native
02-17-2010, 02:54 PM
A lot of purebred dogs do end up in shelters. Of course, you have to neuter or spay them before you can take them home.

AS you should. Too many dogs end up in shelters because of irresponsible breeders.

BIG_DADDY
02-17-2010, 02:54 PM
It's good to know that the next generation of stupid has arrived.

Even poo poo face was better than that. Pretty sad dude. You can try again if you want though.

BIG_DADDY
02-17-2010, 02:55 PM

No shit?

Brock
02-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Even poo poo face was better than that. Pretty sad dude. You can try again if you want though.

Thanks, but you're boring. Bye.

Brock
02-17-2010, 02:56 PM
No shit?

Yeah, GuntherFan. I swear it's true.

banyon
02-17-2010, 02:57 PM
You a crazy lib? There's a difference to me...to you?

I don't think these people qualify as anything essentially liberal, they're just f*cking morons.

It would be like holding up Pat Robertson and comments on Haiti and saying "you crazy repubs".

BIG_DADDY
02-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Yeah, GuntherFan. I swear it's true.

I thought you were leaving?

fan4ever
02-17-2010, 03:05 PM
I don't think these people qualify as anything essentially liberal, they're just f*cking morons.

It would be like holding up Pat Robertson and comments on Haiti and saying "you crazy repubs".

Well it's funny you make this point; I was just about to make simular one but then you responded to my post...and you know that's exactly what happened with Robertson's comments.

Not that I'm trying to lump all liberals together; crazy is crazy, and I don't think all liberals are crazy; just flawed in their thinking, but I don't think you'll find many of these particular nutcases voting conservative, therefore the label...we all have kooks in our camps whether we admit it or not.

fan4ever
02-17-2010, 03:07 PM
THIS the good work they do is overshadowed but their ulterior motives.

Good point; a gay couple we know hate "ACT UP" because for all the steps forward they make, a crazy stunt later, they're taking two steps back.

banyon
02-17-2010, 03:08 PM
No - I'm not condemning dog breeding. I would just like it if the average person getting a dog because their kids won't stop bugging them would go to the shelter versus throwing hundreds of dollars at a breeder.

I don't think I am making a controversial statement, that I would rather dogs be adopted instead of destroyed.

Ok, I misunderstood. I agree.

BIG_DADDY
02-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Thanks, but you're boring. Bye.

I agree, that's because I am talking about your posts.