PDA

View Full Version : Obama Illegals just let go. No big deal...

HonestChieffan
02-17-2010, 05:26 PM
FARMINGTON — The owner and general contractor who are building the new Hampton Inn in Farmington claim they had no knowledge that illegal immigrants were being used for labor. St. Francois County Sheriff Dan Bullock said on Saturday 14 illegal immigrants who were working on the job site were taken into custody. All but one was later released.

Farmington resident Mike Van Stavern owns the Hampton Inn that is under construction. Stavern also owns the Holiday Inn. The Farmington hotel owner said he has used Thomas Construction as the general contractor previously on other job sites.

“The contractor was not even there when this took place on Saturday,” he said. “To my knowledge there were not any illegal immigrants on the job site. If there were, the general contractor nor I knew nothing about it.”

Thomas Construction employs many local subcontractors, according to Van Stavern.

“This job employs a lot of Farmington and Ste. Genevieve workers,” he said. “We are putting a lot of people in the community to work. This is a good general contractor that builds hotels all over the country. However, if there are illegal immigrants working on the site, I don’t want them there either.”

Corby Sousley is the project manager of the Hampton Inn construction site for Thomas Construction. He said the company he works for is based out of Osage Beach and has been in business for over 30 years. He told the Daily Journal that Thomas Construction does not condone the hiring of anyone who is an undocumented citizen.

“We work with a lot of different subcontractors,” he said. “All of the subcontractors we hire sign a paper that says they will also not use undocumented citizens on our job sites.”

Sousley said the subcontractor in question in this incident is Powell Framing. He said the subcontractor is also based in Missouri and has worked with Thomas Construction on several other hotel projects.

“I hate it when something like this happens,” he said. “The project fell behind because of weather and this particular subcontractor set up to work over the weekend. Honestly, I don’t know who they hired to come in to work the Saturday before Valentine’s Day. I do know that we had some officials come to the work site on Saturday and took some people in. The workers were released within about an hour and walked back to the job site to get their tools.”

Sousley asked if the workers were illegal immigrants why were they released?

“Why weren’t they charged or deported?” he asked. “We’ve contacted the subcontractor and we would like to reprimand the them for this. But, we have to know for sure that they were illegal immigrants. If it turns out they were illegal immigrants, we will likely fire the subcontractor.”

St. Francois County Chief Deputy Greg Armstrong said deputies were sent to the job site Saturday afternoon in reference to complaints from local business owners who said there were possible undocumented workers on the site.

Bullock said when deputies arrived, the workers scattered.

“The workers scattered and took off on foot,” he said. “Four of the illegal immigrants were taken into custody at the site, the rest scattered throughout Farmington.”

Bullock said all of the immigrants were in this country illegally. The sheriff claimed the contractor building the hotel is responsible for hiring the immigrants.

“The sheriff’s department, the Farmington Police Department, the Leadington Police Department and the Park Hills Police Department rounded the illegal immigrants up later Saturday evening,” Bullock said. “None were here legally.”

Bullock said only one of the 14 is still in custody. He said the Department of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, ICE, said to release the other 13 immigrants.

Armstrong said the foreman of the work crew was also taken into custody for hindering prosecution. He said employers are required to have I-9 documentation on their workers to show they are permitted to work. The employer was not able to produce the documentation on Saturday. Armstrong did not know why ICE said to release the immigrants.

Gail Montenegro, regional spokesperson for ICE in Chicago, did not know the specifics of Saturday’s incident, but did say like every law enforcement agency ICE prioritizes its efforts.

“Our top priorities are terrorism related,” Followed by individuals with violent criminal histories or are charged with violent crimes, anyone who threatens national security or public safety and anyone who is considered to be an immigration fugitive. Anyone who is suspected of being in this country illegally is subject to deportation. That said, ICE has to prioritize its efforts due to limited resources.”

U.S. Rep. Jo Ann Emerson (MO-08) said in a press release that it wasn’t Bullock’s or his department’s fault that the immigrants were released.

“Unfortunately, what happened is not an isolated incident in St. Francois County. In other places around Missouri and across the country, the work of our police officers, sheriffs and deputies is being undone by federal officials. It’s not the fault of the St. Francois County Sheriff – he’s doing his job. We ought to have everyone on the same page, and the federal government ought to take a much tougher line on illegal immigration,” Emerson said.

Emerson said there has been a policy shift at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security recently that has resulted in more and more local law enforcement agencies being told to turn loose the illegal immigrants they apprehend in their communities.

“It’s disheartening and outrageous,” she said.

Emerson cited a previous example in Ozark County from January, in which the release of four illegal immigrants was ordered by federal immigration officials. She said the federal policy, known as catch-and-release, returns illegal immigrants almost immediately to the communities in which they are working without any kind of federal effort at enforcement of U.S. law.

vailpass
02-17-2010, 06:06 PM
You can't throw carp back once you catch them. Shouldn't it be the same for illegals?

RJ
02-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Must have been more of those Jobs Americans Don't Want To Do.

Donger
02-17-2010, 06:17 PM
It's kind of interesting to compare the numbers:

Number of unemployed = ~13.7 million

Number of illegal aliens = ~12 million

Norman Einstein
02-17-2010, 06:39 PM
You can't throw carp back once you catch them. Shouldn't it be the same for illegals?

Only if you throw them back into their home pond.

Must have been more of those Jobs Americans Don't Want To Do.

Yes, there is a distinct lack of construction workers. Many of them are laid off so of course there is no work for them to do at their union wage.

It's kind of interesting to compare the numbers:

Number of unemployed = ~13.7 million

Number of illegal aliens = ~12 million

I'm not much surprised other than I think the number of illegals and the number of unemployed are off by a few million, probably about 6 mil per category.

banyon
02-18-2010, 09:53 AM
ICE probably just gave those illegals Own Recognizance bonds pending their hearings. Unless someone is dangerous, they will rarely hold them without bond until their hearing. Of course once you bond them out, many times they just get a new fake name and move to the next town, making the process ineffectual.

Velvet_Jones
02-18-2010, 10:07 AM

Preach to me CARPernicus.

Norman Einstein
02-18-2010, 06:34 PM
ICE probably just gave those illegals Own Recognizance bonds pending their hearings. Unless someone is dangerous, they will rarely hold them without bond until their hearing. Of course once you bond them out, many times they just get a new fake name and move to the next town, making the process ineffectual.

So what is the answer? Amnesty is not a good avenue to solve the problem, if the U.S. does grant amnesty to the illegals what kind of renumeration do they owe all of the people that have spent 10's of thousands of dollars to legally become American Citizens? What about those that have been in the process for 10 years and still no progress?

banyon
02-18-2010, 06:37 PM
So what is the answer? Amnesty is not a good avenue to solve the problem, if the U.S. does grant amnesty to the illegals what kind of renumeration do they owe all of the people that have spent 10's of thousands of dollars to legally become American Citizens? What about those that have been in the process for 10 years and still no progress?

My answer is pretty simple. Enforce the laws on the books and stop being afraid to go after employers who participate. Stop the revolving door and you stop demand. No demand, no supply.

The problem, of course, is both parties are corrupt and in cahoots with the companies who are profiting from the cheap supply of labor, so you get these asinine arguments like "they work jobs no american will do" etc, when very few of the jobs illegals now occupy are even close to that level.

Norman Einstein
02-18-2010, 06:50 PM
My answer is pretty simple. Enforce the laws on the books and stop being afraid to go after employers who participate. Stop the revolving door and you stop demand. No demand, no supply.

I agree. Prosecute the employers and send the illegals home, there will be cost involved but so is there cost to allow them to stay and be a burden on our health care system for one.

What do you think about the people that are trying to immigrate legally? I have a co-worker that came her from Egypt, took him over 10 years to get through the process. Another friend has been fighting for nearly 10 years and is still not getting anywhere. She is legally here but if she leaves the country she will be barred from ever returning. Her pricetag so far is over $20K.

whoman69
02-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Posts 9 and 10 had good points. No matter what you believe, thinking they should all be sent home is impossible. You can't realistically just gather up 12 million people and deport them. They come to the country because employers will hire them. Companies which knowingly hire illegal aliens should be prosecuted and fined heavily. Reality is though there is a flourishing industry for documents so its not always the employers fault.