PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Obamutopians grieve

Taco John
02-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Reviving the American Liberal Movement

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rabbi-michael-lerner/reviving-the-american-lib_b_464792.html

Rabbi Michael LernerEditor of Tikkun and National Chair of the Network of Spiritual Progressives
Posted: February 16, 2010 07:16 PM

Close to 600 people in the San Francisco Bay Area gave up their President's Day Monday vacation to spend some nine hours in a "Strategy Conference for Liberals and Progressives" to address "How To Support Obama to BE the Obama Americans Thought We Elected" and "How to Launch a Constitutional Amendment to Restrain Corporate Power" after the Supreme Court's recent decision to allow unrestrained corporate spending on elections.

For many, just being in the context where this discussion was happening in a face-to-face encounter with others, rather than an isolated individuals reading it on a computer monitor, seemed an important step toward re-empowerment. Many are suffering from post-traumatic Obama abandonment syndrome--an ailment that came from being severely traumatized by Obama's political moves in the past thirteen months. A palpable sadness, depression, anger and even despair carried by many who had worked for Obama and now felt betrayed by his choices in his first year in office was mixed with compassion and a strong determination to not allow the political Right to use our despair as their ticket to a political revival. The conference was conceived by Tikkun Magazine and its interfaith Network of Spiritual Progressives (including secular humanists and atheists who consider themselves "spiritual but NOT religious") as a way to allow people who have been having these feelings privately to both receive the comfort of sharing those feelings with other liberals and progressives, and then to move beyond them to actually face the critical question: "What do we in the liberal and progressive world do now, if we face three, or hopefully seven, years of an Obama presidency?"

The first step toward answering that question was to grieve what we had lost, honestly acknowledging the painful, for many quite humiliating, fact that after having built so many walls of self-protection against allowing ourselves to get sucked into some new moment of idealism, we had allowed those walls to come down as we became energized about Obama, only to find that once again our hopes had been dashed. This was not a crew of hardened lefties who might say: "You were always foolish to hope in Obama--don't you know that the military-industrial-health-agricultural-banking-investment-energy complex controls the society." Most people in the room had already integrated that knowledge of corporate dominance, but rejected the notion that repeating its truth was a sufficient way to change it. Instead, they had imagined that Obama could play an important role in sustaining the powerful mobilization that had already occurred around his campaign, and direct it toward significant steps to challenge the corporate power in ways that might even excite and attract the tens of millions of Americans who don't even bother to vote.

In psychological research in which I was the principle investigator for some twenty years at the Institute for Labor and Mental Health, I cane to understand the most people have a strong voice in our consciousness telling us that "everyone is just out to promote their own narrowly conceived self-interest and that they will seek to manipulate or even dominate you unless you can more effectively manipulate and dominate them first," a voice that gives credence to the need to "look out for number one," always suspect that others are interested in you primarily to get something for themselves and not because they can genuinely see and appreciate you, and that security for ourselves or our country is best secured by dominating others (either in the hard way that the Right and centrist Democrats champion, namely military power, or the soft way that some Liberals advocate, namely through economic and media penetration of other societies coupled with diplomacy backed by the threat of economic boycotts or future military interventions).

Happily, there's another voice in most people that advises them, based in part of their own experience in the world with others, that safety and security can sometimes be achieved much more effectively by communicating genuine love, caring and a generosity of spirit and of deed toward others.

Most people are somewhere on a continuum between the first fearful consciousness (call it the Domination world view) and the second more loving and caring consciousness (call it the Generosity world view). And where exactly we are at any given moment is determined in part by our own childhood experiences, adult life experiences, the ideological or religious worldviews we hold, and, importantly, by our own sense of where the social energy is moving at any given moment. So, during the early years after 9/11 social energy was so overwhelming moved toward fear and the Domination worldview that even many liberals and progressives became timid about articulating an alternative based on love and generosity. Conversely, the Obama campaign momentarily opened up a new set of possibilities, and many people did in fact move closer to the Generosity world view).

What happened in Obama's first year is that most of those who had allowed themselves to hope began to appear to themselves and others as na´ve fools, and the humiliation that they experienced will take some years and psychologically or spiritually sophisticated interventions, of which the conference in San Francisco was a first example, though Tikkun and the Network of Spiritual Progressives (in co-sponsorship with many other groups including The Nation magazine, Progressive Democrats of America, Yes! Magazine, Peace Action, The Institute for Policy Studies, the Shalom Center,and Code Pink) will be holding a 3 day conference of this sort in D.C. June11-14 and is seeking to encourage and support similar gatherings around the country in the next few months. More info at www.tikkun.org.

Social energy is never static -- it is always moving in one direction or another. So as many Americans became disillusioned by the failure of Obama and Congressional Democrats to take up the electoral mandate (bigger than that of any president in the past 20 years) and create a pro-people, peace and social justice administration and legislation, but instead managed to give priority to the banks and investment companies, the pharmaceuticals and the health care profiteers, the coal industry and the nuclear industry, the war-makers and the ideologues of the American Empire, the stage was set for Right-wing opportunists to cast themselves as a quasi-populist voice, and to attract to the Tea Party movement not only those racist and domination-prone Americans waiting for their chance to pounce on Obama, but also many confused middle income people who might have been equally attracted to a pro-democracy, anti-corporate movement had that emerged in time.

So, the most important first step for liberals and progressives is to explain to themselves and each other that history is not over, that the Obama years still retain some possibilities, and even though we need to give up our (often unconscious) fantasy that Obama was our messiah who would save us and the world, we can and must still retain our understanding that the suffering in this world through poverty and oppression, the destruction of the environment and the possibility of ending all human and animal life on the planet Earth, and the survival of our own souls and mental health requires that we revive a movement based on love, kindness, generosity, ecological sanity, and caring for each other, including everyone on the planet. And, indeed, were the Democrats to put those values at the forefront of their own reelection campaigns, they'd be far more successful than trying to defend policies or legislation that has been more about compromising with the powerful than promoting a fundamentally different kind of world.

More...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rabbi-michael-lerner/reviving-the-american-lib_b_464792.html

Taco John
02-18-2010, 10:52 PM
This article made me think of this:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q1IcgJ83TKg&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q1IcgJ83TKg&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

WoodDraw
02-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Many are suffering from post-traumatic Obama abandonment syndrome--an ailment that came from being severely traumatized by Obama's political moves in the past thirteen months.

I'm totally going to try to get some time off work for this. Or at least sue my insurance company for not covering it.

fan4ever
02-18-2010, 11:32 PM
I've sometimes been upset by a disappearance of wood, but I'm just at that age...referencing video, not article.

greg63
02-19-2010, 01:52 AM
I've sometimes been upset by a disappearance of wood, but I'm just at that age...referencing video, not article.

It comes with age; it'll happen more and more as you get older.

blaise
02-19-2010, 06:55 AM
Eating my Obama-O's from my commemorative Obama china, while watching my commemorative Obama DVD, in my Obama T-shirt and hat just doesn't feel the same. I've tried to fill the void by watching Keith Olbermann. I've tried to post a variety of negative stories about Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, FOX News and the tea parties on message boards. I've tried to attach myself to the "town hall debate protestors are the biggest danger to the democratic process" thing, but that fizzled out. I honestly don't know if I can make it to the Obama March Madness bracket. I've written over 1,000 emails to NBC to ask them to include Obama as an Olympic analyst. I've written over 1,000 emails to FOX to ask them to include Obama as a guest judge on American Idol (and how great would he be if he replaced Simon, huh? FANTASTIC)
I just pray Obama can get on Letterman and Leno before that. This is even worse than my post-Avatar depression.

fan4ever
02-19-2010, 08:41 AM
Eating my Obama-O's from my commemorative Obama china, while watching my commemorative Obama DVD, in my Obama T-shirt and hat just doesn't feel the same. I've tried to fill the void by watching Keith Olbermann. I've tried to post a variety of negative stories about Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, FOX News and the tea parties on message boards. I've tried to attach myself to the "town hall debate protestors are the biggest danger to the democratic process" thing, but that fizzled out. I honestly don't know if I can make it to the Obama March Madness bracket. I've written over 1,000 emails to NBC to ask them to include Obama as an Olympic analyst. I've written over 1,000 emails to FOX to ask them to include Obama as a guest judge on American Idol (and how great would he be if he replaced Simon, huh? FANTASTIC)
I just pray Obama can get on Letterman and Leno before that. This is even worse than my post-Avatar depression.

It's nice to know I have a soul mate out there.

HonestChieffan
02-19-2010, 08:55 AM
The Obots cannot hope to feel as bad that the One has failed them as I feel bad that he, Pelosi, and Reid can still do sweeping damage to the country.

BucEyedPea
02-19-2010, 09:17 AM

I would think the prospects of bombing Iran would give you wood. I know it does Donger.

Velvet_Jones
02-19-2010, 09:27 AM
PTOS - Post Traumatic Obama Syndrome - I got it.

fan4ever
02-19-2010, 10:58 AM
I would think the prospects of bombing Iran would give you wood. I know it does Donger.

I think you're a bit "premature" with this prediction.

The Mad Crapper
02-19-2010, 11:50 AM
This article made me think of this:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q1IcgJ83TKg&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q1IcgJ83TKg&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

ROFL

Moonbats!

BucEyedPea
02-19-2010, 11:52 AM

If so, then I'm glad to be wrong. ;)

HonestChieffan
02-19-2010, 12:17 PM

I don't think its too far off. At some point someone has to loose the dogs of hell on Akmanutjob and get in front of this thing. Iran has moved too close at this point, to openly hostile to the n-th degree vs Israel, and getting way to involved in destabilization of Iraq.

Obama being weak and Iran testing him every step has proven to them that they can bully Obama. They wont bully Israel. And Obama has lost the power to hold the Israelis in check by selling them out to Hammas.

BucEyedPea
02-19-2010, 12:21 PM
I don't think its too far off. At some point someone has to loose the dogs of hell on Akmanutjob and get in front of this thing. Iran has moved too close at this point, to openly hostile to the n-th degree vs Israel, and getting way to involved in destabilization of Iraq.

Obama being weak and Iran testing him every step has proven to them that they can bully Obama. They wont bully Israel. And Obama has lost the power to hold the Israelis in check by selling them out to Hammas.

Pure:BS: It's the same rhetoric and propaganda that led us into Iraq! Including their bullying Obama!

HonestChieffan
02-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Pure:BS: It's the same rhetoric and propaganda that led us into Iraq! Including their bullying Obama!

Call it whatever you care to. I understand the POV you have that all info is false and we should never get involved. Thats ok, its a fun theory but its unrealistic and myopic.

To maintain a balance of power, power must be used or recognized. Sometimes in a skilled hand like Reagan, the knowledge he would use it was the weapon. In Obamas case, we have no hope he can scare anyone at this point and he has burned our allies in the failed hope that he can talk the Muslims into being our buddies. In the process he made our enemy stronger, our allies distrustful of us, and he is selling out Israel on a steady basis.

The showdown is coming. What scares me most is that he will do it at atime he sees as most politically benefitial to the progressives. I have no doubt he is capable of such a move.

Direckshun
02-19-2010, 01:57 PM
It's naivete.

It's necessary in any kind of government that pits people with different ideas against each other. The purists will end up disappointed 100% of the time. Because partisan purism is ricidulously impossible.

So you go for what's possible and practical. If liberal purists can't adapt, this is what happens.

BucEyedPea
02-19-2010, 03:33 PM
Call it whatever you care to. I understand the POV you have that all info is false and we should never get involved. Thats ok, its a fun theory but its unrealistic and myopic.
I don't think "all info is false". I said our FP isn't much different between the two parties. Remember the Clinton regime said the same nonsense and it still turned out false. I just don't believe the same people again when they were wrong before.

The showdown is coming. What scares me most is that he will do it at atime he sees as most politically benefitial to the progressives. I have no doubt he is capable of such a move.
When it does be prepared for WWIII.

HonestChieffan
02-19-2010, 03:49 PM
I don't think "all info is false". I said our FP isn't much different between the two parties. Remember the Clinton regime said the same nonsense and it still turned out false. I just don't believe the same people again when they were wrong before.

When it does be prepared for WWII.

WWII is over. We won.

God that was Banyonlike.

BP, Im sorry, I was teasin ok?

BucEyedPea
02-19-2010, 04:01 PM
K

talastan
02-20-2010, 12:00 PM
God that was Banyonlike.

You should probably take a shower now! ROFL

greg63
02-20-2010, 12:09 PM
That video is freakin hilarious!

Saul Good
02-20-2010, 01:08 PM
PTOS - Post Traumatic Obama Syndrome - I got it.

Post Obama Traumatic Utopia Syndrome?

Saul Good
02-20-2010, 01:08 PM

Does our very own BEP suffer from premature prognostication?

BucEyedPea
02-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Does our very own BEP suffer from premature prognostication?

My guess is that you have premature ejaculation. ROFL

Slainte
02-20-2010, 02:19 PM

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=6545326&postcount=1099

BucEyedPea
02-20-2010, 02:34 PM
"don teeny martini"- we know what that's code for... TnCC Afraid to say "weenie?"

memyselfI
02-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Glad I managed to get on the wagon before the Hopium addiction could take hold.

Direckshun
02-20-2010, 09:56 PM
I'll just assume that my response was too reasonable to be commented on.

Velvet_Jones
02-20-2010, 10:38 PM
Post Obama Traumatic Utopia Syndrome?

I got that too!!!!

Velvet_Jones
02-20-2010, 10:40 PM
I'll just assume that my response was too reasonable to be commented on.

No - you have said so much stupid shit that people think that someone else is using your login.