PDA

View Full Version : Electronics IPOD Touch Doesn't have a radio tuner? WTF??!!

vailpass
02-19-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm buying a music device for the gym and car. Pretty much decided on the Touch. Reading the specs I notice there is no radio tuner. The Nano has a radio tuner but not the touch.
I like to watch b-ball, football, etc. on the TVs at the gym when I'm running and you need an FM tuner to get the sound.
The Touch seems to have more features than the Nano for about the same price but why in the hell does it not have a tuner?
Going to research Zune now.
/rant

Buck
02-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Download iHeartRadio

Edit: I just read your predicament, yeah looks like you are boned.

Fish
02-19-2010, 11:59 AM
http://www.wunderradio.com/

Cave Johnson
02-19-2010, 12:02 PM
What is this radio of which you speak?

gblowfish
02-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Griffin makes radio tuners for Ipods. It's an Ipod, not a radio.

vailpass
02-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Griffin makes radio tuners for Ipods. It's an Ipod, not a radio.

Is a Nano an Ipod?

The Toudh is a device I am considering for purchase to perform the tasks I require which include radio tuning.

Spare me the fanboy shit.

Saulbadguy
02-19-2010, 12:04 PM
http://store.apple.com/us/product/TU825VC/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY#overview

Saulbadguy
02-19-2010, 12:05 PM
To answer your question, i'd say many consumers do not require an FM tuner.

vailpass
02-19-2010, 12:06 PM

I'm a fugging Ipod nube Fish but looking at the link you provided it appears I can listen to the radio on the Touch. Have you used this? Does it work?
Thanks.

vailpass
02-19-2010, 12:08 PM
To answer your question, i'd say many consumers do not require an FM tuner.

I won't argue that point. Still, I wonder why they would include an FM tuner on the Nano?

Fish
02-19-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm a fugging Ipod nube Fish but looking at the link you provided it appears I can listen to the radio on the Touch. Have you used this? Does it work?
Thanks.

I've got it on my iPhone. Yes it works very well. Every local FM station I want to listen to is available with it. As well as AM stations for Royals baseball.

vailpass
02-19-2010, 12:12 PM
I've got it on my iPhone. Yes it works very well. Every local FM station I want to listen to is available with it. As well as AM stations for Royals baseball.

Very much appreciate the constructive feedback; thanks.

Saulbadguy
02-19-2010, 12:13 PM
I won't argue that point. Still, I wonder why they would include an FM tuner on the Nano?

Price points, probably - added value in the smaller package? Something to differentiate it more than just being smaller/no touch screen/capacity? I don't know.

Saulbadguy
02-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Very much appreciate the constructive feedback; thanks.

It won't work for the local stations that broadcast the television audio in your gym, though.

vailpass
02-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Price points, probably - added value in the smaller package? Something to differentiate it more than just being smaller/no touch screen/capacity? I don't know.

For a product that is seen as the top of the line integrated media product it seems extremely odd that there wouldn't be a radio function.

Since the Touch doesn't have a radio it doesnt have iTunes tagging, a feature that is very attractive to me because I often hear songs and thnk "I'd like to have that song" and of course I forget it 10 seconds later.

I guess I only care because I like everything else about the touch over the other products offered and want all my desired features in one device.

vailpass
02-19-2010, 12:19 PM
It won't work for the local stations that broadcast the television audio in your gym, though.

Yep I just realized that while reading their website; only picks up streamed radiow stations. I don't know if it would work for iTunes Tagging either.
Fug.

irishjayhawk
02-19-2010, 12:57 PM
The Nano has a video camera. Touch doesn't.

Saulbadguy
02-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Yep I just realized that while reading their website; only picks up streamed radiow stations. I don't know if it would work for iTunes Tagging either.
Fug.

Highly doubtful.

Saulbadguy
02-19-2010, 01:08 PM

Excellent.

I bought this - I need something like this when i'm away and need to listen to sporting events. Hopefully it can do that.

vailpass
02-19-2010, 03:01 PM
The Nano has a video camera. Touch doesn't.

Yep, I don't see why they would leave basic items like camera and radio out of the upper model but then again nobody asked me.

scorpio
02-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Zune HD is a nicer piece of hardware and has an FM tuner.

QuikSsurfer
02-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Ootunes is another great option.

cdirty
02-19-2010, 06:55 PM
get a zune.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Surely I would have thought the Klan was podcasting by now.

Guru
02-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Zune HD is a nicer piece of hardware and has an FM tuner.Except they have shit for apps.

irishjayhawk
02-20-2010, 04:42 AM
Yep, I don't see why they would leave basic items like camera and radio out of the upper model but then again nobody asked me.

Two easy reasons:

1) Next edition sales
2) Not cannibalizing potential iPhone sales.

Guru
02-20-2010, 04:48 AM
Two easy reasons:

1) Next edition sales
2) Not cannibalizing potential iPhone sales.That doesn't make much sense to me. If there was no iPod Touch I most assuredly would NOT be getting an iPhone. Not with the monthly rates attached to it.

irishjayhawk
02-20-2010, 04:50 AM
That doesn't make much sense to me. If there was no iPod Touch I most assuredly would NOT be getting an iPhone. Not with the monthly rates attached to it.

I know. The iPhone cannibalization makes about 30% sense to me. I can see from a business standpoint why they'd do it but I, like you, don't see many iPod touch buyers switching to iPhone.

Now, if they didn't include those things because the next iPhone will be non-ATT-only, then I 100% understand.

Guru
02-20-2010, 04:58 AM
I know. The iPhone cannibalization makes about 30% sense to me. I can see from a business standpoint why they'd do it but I, like you, don't see many iPod touch buyers switching to iPhone.

Now, if they didn't include those things because the next iPhone will be non-ATT-only, then I 100% understand.I still wouldn't get one. But, thats just me.

Either way, it seems silly to put a camera on a Nano but not on the Touch when the Touch is an iPhone that can't make calls.