PDA

View Full Version : Computers Making files private ? Encrypting ?

88TG88
02-21-2010, 11:29 PM
Is there a way to make a file accessible only by password ? For example, I wanna open a folder, but it prompts me for a password.

I'm looking for a way to do it on mac, but Windows will do.

DaneMcCloud
02-21-2010, 11:33 PM
Yes

:D

What are you doing for the NCAA tourney?

DaneMcCloud
02-21-2010, 11:36 PM
If you go to Security and Permissions, you can change it from there in Windows Vista.

I'm unsure about a Mac.

88TG88
02-22-2010, 12:10 AM
Yes

:D

What are you doing for the NCAA tourney?

IDK, depends on who makes it in. Your guys gettin crazy in the hills ?

QuikSsurfer
02-22-2010, 01:23 AM
Use the diskutility to create encrypted disk images.. Will prompt for password before being able to mount the drive.

Taco John
02-22-2010, 02:30 AM
Is there a way to make a file accessible only by password ? For example, I wanna open a folder, but it prompts me for a password.

I'm looking for a way to do it on mac, but Windows will do.

Your wife will kill you if your kids see those videos.

unlurking
02-22-2010, 05:41 AM
http://www.truecrypt.org/

Works on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Create a virtual disk (simple encrypted file), then it can be mounted like a hard drive and becomes transparent to the user/application. Can be moved from computer to computer, just need the application to open it.

Fish
02-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Just right click the file or folder(or hold down Control and click), and select Get Info. Go to the Sharing and Permissions section at the bottom of the Get Info page. Set your permissions however you choose.... i.e. You have Read/Write permission, Others have No Access.

But be careful with it, as you can lock yourself out if you set the permissions incorrectly. This will not require a password for the file, but it will only be visible and accessible by your account.

Mr. Laz
02-22-2010, 10:57 AM
http://www.truecrypt.org/

Works on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Create a virtual disk (simple encrypted file), then it can be mounted like a hard drive and becomes transparent to the user/application. Can be moved from computer to computer, just need the application to open it.
this

btw i don't reccomend using Windows encryption stuff because if anything goes wrong with your account or anything it will screw the encryption up sometimes.

use 3rd party like true crypt

BigRedChief
02-22-2010, 01:54 PM
this

btw i don't reccomend using Windows encryption stuff because if anything goes wrong with your account or anything it will screw the encryption up sometimes.

Yeah, that encryption overwrites the master boot record(how windows knows how to boot up) you are hosed. Better have a good back up in place. Everything is useless and you'll have to reformat or go to some major expenses and trouble to get around it.

Braincase
02-22-2010, 02:55 PM
this

If you are a member of a domain, you can define Key Recovery Agents and Data Recovery Agents. You can also define other accounts to be DRA's thought the Local Security Policy.

Otherwise, use one of your common .zip utilities to store files and assign a password to it.

memyselfI
02-22-2010, 04:02 PM
You can zip or rar it using Winrar and then add a password needed to open it.

unlurking
02-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Yeah, that encryption overwrites the master boot record(how windows knows how to boot up) you are hosed. Better have a good back up in place. Everything is useless and you'll have to reformat or go to some major expenses and trouble to get around it.
You don't have to do full disk encryption. I don't, I just use a virtual disk and keep all my important data there. To back up, simply copy the virtual disk (a single encrypted file) off the system.

BigRedChief
02-24-2010, 08:19 AM
You don't have to do full disk encryption. I don't, I just use a virtual disk and keep all my important data there. To back up, simply copy the virtual disk (a single encrypted file) off the system.yeah, but most non-techies arn't going to know how to do that. Or if they do, screw it up.