PDA

View Full Version : Computers Ethernet controller install problems

tymania
02-23-2010, 11:07 AM
I acquired a computer with no disks or anything.. I have reformatted the computer and am trying to reinstall the drivers for it.. I downloaded the Ethernet driver from Hp here.. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3184143&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=2512431&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1093
I put the driver on a flash drive and transferred it over to the computer and tried to install it.. but the install tells me I have to do it through the device manager. So I go to the device manager and try to “update the driver” but since I have no disk I have to manually assign where the driver is located.. so I do that, but it does not find the driver at that location.. anyone know of any work arounds?

I have never had this problem before, I just reformatted a computer just like it with no problems with re installing the drivers..

tymania
02-23-2010, 11:13 AM
compaq presario sr1910nx is the computer model

Mr. Laz
02-23-2010, 11:14 AM
when i've had that problem sometimes it can be solved by the location of the where you put the driver. If the driver file is embedded in a folder within a folder sometimes the windows update search won't find it.

try just copying all the files raw onto your desktop and have it find it there.

or

you can actually copy the driver files into the i386 folder where windows keeps all it's drivers. Then you can go to the device manager and uninstall the device that and then click refresh. Sometimes the installation works better than the driver update does.

couple ideas anyway

phisherman
02-23-2010, 11:22 AM
device manager is looking for a .inf file

are there any .inf files in what you downloaded? or is it just an exe?

in my experience, HP driver downloads are a self-extracting exe normally. just run it, and unzip the files to a folder of your choice. then point device manager to said folder.

Mr. Laz
02-23-2010, 11:22 AM

good point

tymania
02-23-2010, 11:23 AM

in my experience, HP driver downloads are a self-extracting exe normally. just run it, and unzip the files to a folder of your choice. then point device manager to said folder.

no .inf files just the exe.. but when i run the .exe file it creates a folder off of the C drive.. and there is no .inf files in that folder either..

Mr. Laz
02-23-2010, 11:30 AM
no .inf files just the exe.. but when i run the .exe file it creates a folder off of the C drive.. and there is no .inf files in that folder either..well windows isn't gonna "find" an exe file no matter how you do it.

tymania
02-23-2010, 11:33 AM
well windows isn't gonna "find" an exe file no matter how you do it.

yeah i hear ya.. i dont know i have never had to install drivers this way.. usually the setup just installs them without having to use the device manager.. f*ckin compaqs

Mr. Laz
02-23-2010, 11:34 AM
yeah i hear ya.. i dont know i have never had to install drivers this way.. usually the setup just installs them without having to use the device manager.. f*ckin compaqs
did you read the instructions on the .exe downloader?

Title: Summer 2006 Original NVIDIA LAN Drivers

Version: 50.2.4.0

Description:
Drivers for the NVIDIA LAN solutions.

Category: Original Driver

Operating System:
Windows XP Home
Windows XP Professional

Language(s):
Global English

Fixes:
N/A

Prerequisites:
- You must install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 on the system before install these drivers.

How To Use:
1. Download the driver package.

2. Double-click on the icon for the driver package downloaded in step 1, and then click NEXT.

3. Select "I accept the terms in the license agreement", and then click NEXT.

4. Click OK to continue. The original drivers are now stored in the C:\SoftPaq\sp26744 folder.

5. If Device Manager does not start automatically, use the following steps. Otherwise go to step 6:

a. Click Start.
b. Right-click My Computer, and then select Properties.
c. Click the Hardware tab, and then click the Device Manager button.

6. Click the + (plus) sign next to "Network adapters" or "Other devices".

7. Right-click "Ethernet Controller" or "Other PCI Bridge Device", and then select "Update Driver...".

8. Select "No, not this time", and then click NEXT.

9. Click NEXT to install the software automatically

10. Click FINISH to complete the installation

Mr. Laz
02-23-2010, 11:36 AM
ok ... i downloaded and ran the .exe file

the .inf file and everything is in this folder:

C:\SoftPaq\sp26744

tymania
02-23-2010, 11:37 AM
yea i did try that.. but when i get to the number 9 step it doesnt install automatically

tymania
02-23-2010, 11:39 AM
ok ... i downloaded and ran the .exe file

the .inf file and everything is in this folder:

C:\SoftPaq\sp26744

got ya i found the .inf file.. but when i try to maunally point the install that folder it still cant find anything...

tymania
02-23-2010, 11:42 AM
okay so i went through that how to again and selected other PCI bridge device.. and that worked it installed the network Bus enumerator.. but the ethernet still doesnt work.. and wotn install

Mr. Laz
02-23-2010, 11:53 AM
reboot ... but it sounds like you have the wrong driver

btw if you have a Nvdia system then they also have a complete Nvdia forceware driver package that could solve your problems.

tymania
02-23-2010, 12:14 PM
reboot ... but it sounds like you have the wrong driver

btw if you have a Nvdia system then they also have a complete Nvdia forceware driver package that could solve your problems.

yeah it is the wrong driver.. im an idiot i downloaded the driver for the media center desktop...