PDA

View Full Version : Computers How to set up old laptop as a wireless access point to stream Netflix?

memyselfI
02-24-2010, 01:16 PM
I need the EASIEST way possible because it's for my parent's TV/computer and any tech issues will mean a phone call to me.

The laptop is to serve as a wireless access point for their Sony Blue Ray DVD player plugged into their Sony Bravia TV. Their BD player is Netflix ready so I really want to set the laptop up as a wireless access point.

Is this possible and how do I do it?

Mr. Laz
02-24-2010, 01:26 PM
why can't you just hook the netflix box directly to the t.v?

what's the point of an access point?

are you trying to use 1 netflix box for the entire house?

memyselfI
02-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Because my parents BD player is not wireless. They don't want to run a cord through the house. And the player will not take a USB wireless adapter.

My Dad doesn't want to purchase an additional gaming adapter or access point if we can make this work. I told him I would try.

tymania
02-25-2010, 11:32 AM
if the laptop were to be setup as an access point you would need to have an ethernet cord running to the laptop first.. so that kinda shoots down your whole idea..
The Blue ray player isnt wireless is it?

tymania
02-25-2010, 11:34 AM
The best and easiest way to do it.. would be to have your laptop by your Blue ray player.. and then set up a wireless router in the house.. Connect the laptop to the wireless network.. Enable internet sharing on the laptop(so the Blue ray player can get internet access through the laptop).. then connect the blue ray player to the laptop via an Ethernet cord..

That would be the easiest way to go about it..

memyselfI
02-25-2010, 02:47 PM
The best and easiest way to do it.. would be to have your laptop by your Blue ray player.. and then set up a wireless router in the house.. Connect the laptop to the wireless network.. Enable internet sharing on the laptop(so the Blue ray player can get internet access through the laptop).. then connect the blue ray player to the laptop via an Ethernet cord..

That would be the easiest way to go about it..

This is what I'm looking for. Thanks!

RaiderH8r
02-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Get'em a PS3.