PDA

View Full Version : Computers Video playback/encoding issues after video card upgrade...

Count Alex's Losses
02-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Crossposting this from Somethingawful.com:

Problem description: Ever since I upgraded from an 8800 GTS to a 4890, something is wonky with my video. For one thing, 1080p videos that used to play no problem now only play for a few seconds before freezing. These are higher bitrate 1080p (some lower bitrate ones play fine), but they were fine before.

Also, my video rendering has gone to shit. Certain clips I render come out all choppy. Others are fine. I can literally take a clip that plays smooth, encode it, and it comes out all choppy.

Typically I use the lightweight Windows Media Player classic to view video files.

Attempted fixes: I've attempted to increase the priority of video programs, closed everything else that's running, and fiddled with some settings in the Catalyst Control Center. Nothing seems to make a difference. I also installed the latest build of FFDshow.

Recent changes: I did install DX11 recently. I have had to switch Catalyst drivers to get Star Trek Online running correctly. I went from 10.1 to 9.9.
--

Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate

System specs: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700, GIGABYTE 965P w/ 4 GB 6400 DDR2, ATI Radeon 4890 XFX

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. I googled "4890 video issues" and couldn't seem to find anything.

Based on some reading I did this might be a power or bottleneck issue, but that doesn't make much sense to me. I know my CPU is a little old but like I said, the 8800 GTS was smooth sailing.

I just uninstalled my old Catalyst drivers and got the 10.2s and no change. Yes I have tried VLC.

TrickyNicky
02-25-2010, 05:20 PM
When you switched cards did you reformat or just uninstall the driver?

I went from an nvidia to a 4850 almost 2 years ago and had a hell of a time getting certain games to perform well and when they did, I had atikmdag BSOD's every other hour. I would contact XFX and see if they have any ideas too. They are a great company when it comes to fixing/replacing their cards.

ZootedGranny
02-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Drivers left over from the Nvidia to ATI jump are probably the culprit.

I'd uninstall all drivers, and then run both an Nvidia & ATI driver cleaner.

Count Alex's Losses
02-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Hmmm....Media Player Classic Home Cinema has fixed my playback issue. Let's try encoding now....

Also uninstalled and cleaned my drivers....but did it in safe mode this time. May have had some impact.