PDA

View Full Version : Electronics iPod touch question

Mr. Plow
02-25-2010, 06:54 PM
Maybe a stupid question....

Is there a way for me to move all the music on my iPod BACK to iTunes? I'm sure there is a way, just can't seem to figure it out.

Buck
02-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Do you want it on both or just iTunes?

It is possible. Just tell me which one you want.

Mr. Plow
02-25-2010, 07:03 PM
Do you want it on both or just iTunes?

It is possible. Just tell me which one you want.

Well, long story short, I synced up all my music from iTunes to my iPod - so everything I have is on my iPod. Had an issue with my computer and my songs didn't get backed up so I lost all of them on my computer. Now, I just want to put them back on my computer as well so that I can sync up a few other iPods.

Make sense?

Buck
02-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Well, long story short, I synced up all my music from iTunes to my iPod - so everything I have is on my iPod. Had an issue with my computer and my songs didn't get backed up so I lost all of them on my computer. Now, I just want to put them back on my computer as well so that I can sync up a few other iPods.

Make sense?

Yeah man.

Make sure that your shit isn't set to automatically sync, then do this.

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/ontherun/how-to-copy-music-from-your-ipod-to-your-itunes-library-5615

I did it when I wanted to transfer my music from my ipod to a new computer.

SLAG
02-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Yeah man.

Make sure that your shit isn't set to automatically sync, then do this.

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/ontherun/how-to-copy-music-from-your-ipod-to-your-itunes-library-5615

I did it when I wanted to transfer my music from my ipod to a new computer.

I do not think this will work for the ipod touch

It does not react the same way as a regular ipod - i'm not sure there is a way

Guru
02-25-2010, 07:23 PM
I dont' have the link. It can be done but it is a hell of a lot of work and takes forever because you have to do it one song at a time and it is looked up by the ipod file system which will make no sense to you at all.

If I find it I will let you know. I really don't think it will be worth the time and effort though.

Mr. Plow
02-25-2010, 07:23 PM
I probably should have said....I'm on Windows 7. Not sure that works for 7.

Mr. Plow
02-25-2010, 07:24 PM
I dont' have the link. It can be done but it is a hell of a lot of work and takes forever because you have to do it one song at a time and it is looked up by the ipod file system which will make no sense to you at all.

If I find it I will let you know. I really don't think it will be worth the time and effort though.

Would it be easier to....say, burn it all to a CD on an XP machine and then copy it back to the windows 7?

Guru
02-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Would it be easier to....say, burn it all to a CD on an XP machine and then copy it back to the windows 7?The problem is the ipod touch OS. It won't allow you to easily pull the songs off of it.

If you don't have your music backed up anywhere other than your ipod you are in for a HUGE pain in the ass setup.

Buck
02-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Hmmm, you may have to jailbreak your ipod

SLAG
02-25-2010, 07:43 PM
Hmmm, you may have to jailbreak your ipod

Yeah i think that is one way

once broken i think you can install an ssh/ftp server and xfer the files out that way but it could be slowww

QuikSsurfer
02-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Free and works with windows 7.. I just used it to backup my iphone.

http://www.getsharepod.com/

QuikSsurfer
02-25-2010, 09:22 PM

once broken i think you can install an ssh/ftp server and xfer the files out that way but it could be slowww

That would take forever.. there are various 3rd party apps that do what the OP is asking.

Google is your friend :)

Guru
02-25-2010, 09:56 PM

once broken i think you can install an ssh/ftp server and xfer the files out that way but it could be slowwwyep

Guru
02-25-2010, 09:58 PM

http://www.getsharepod.com/Well, that looks promising. Let us know how that works out.

QuikSsurfer
02-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Well, that looks promising. Let us know how that works out.

Like a charm.

:thumb:

Mr. Plow
02-26-2010, 01:41 PM

Well, that looks promising. Let us know how that works out.

Ummm....holy SHIT that was easy. Took literally no effort and less than 10 minutes and now everything is back on my computer. Thanks a ton!

Guru
02-26-2010, 03:03 PM
cool

QuikSsurfer
02-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Ummm....holy SHIT that was easy. Took literally no effort and less than 10 minutes and now everything is back on my computer. Thanks a ton!

No problem.

KCFalcon59
02-28-2010, 11:42 PM
Sharepod worked great. Very easy. Big help as I restored my iPhone and had to transfer some songs over to my pc that the phone wouldn't do on its own for some reason.

Fruit Ninja
03-01-2010, 03:38 AM
i dont even fucking use Itunes CPU app. If i need to buy some songs, i use itunes within the ipod. Downloaded the old slick rick album lastnight. lol

Guru
03-02-2010, 02:54 AM
I only download my songs from Amazon. I prefer mp3 format.

T-post Tom
03-02-2010, 03:41 AM
more handy info here at cp. good to know.

jlscorpio
03-07-2010, 12:18 PM
anybody ever used a program called tunetools?

Mr. Plow
06-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Got another strange deal happening all of sudden with my iPod touch. Started, I guess, about a month ago.

Before, when I would connect my iPod Touch to my computer, iTunes would open and I could search the folders of my computer and find it listed as a drive.

Now, when I connect it, my computer opens up iTunes & Adobe Photoshop. It's like it is looking for pictures on it for some damn reason. The key here is that my computer no longer lists it as a connected drive. Sure enough, I just looked in my computer folders and listed under my computer I have C:, D:, etc and all the way at the bottom I see "Tim's iPod" with no drive letter. When I go into properties, it is viewing the iPod as a camera.

Since the computer doesn't see it as a drive, I can't transfer my songs/books with Sharepod because it doesn't show that there is an iPod connected to my computer. This almost has to be something with one of the 5,000 updates Apple sends out because it is doing the same thing on multiple computers.

Any ideas?

Fish
06-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Got another strange deal happening all of sudden with my iPod touch. Started, I guess, about a month ago.

Before, when I would connect my iPod Touch to my computer, iTunes would open and I could search the folders of my computer and find it listed as a drive.

Now, when I connect it, my computer opens up iTunes & Adobe Photoshop. It's like it is looking for pictures on it for some damn reason. The key here is that my computer no longer lists it as a connected drive. Sure enough, I just looked in my computer folders and listed under my computer I have C:, D:, etc and all the way at the bottom I see "Tim's iPod" with no drive letter. When I go into properties, it is viewing the iPod as a camera.

Since the computer doesn't see it as a drive, I can't transfer my songs/books with Sharepod because it doesn't show that there is an iPod connected to my computer. This almost has to be something with one of the 5,000 updates Apple sends out because it is doing the same thing on multiple computers.

Any ideas?

Sounds like you need to update/reinstall your Apple USB drivers... See if this works:

1) open device manager, either by right clicking on computer, and then clicking manage, and then finally on device manager, or by typing
devmgmt.msc in the search (or run) box on the bottom of the start menu and hitting enter.

2) find the ipod, it (should) be listed under digital cameras (or something to that effect), right click it and choose "update driver software"

3) choose "browse my computer for driver software"

4) for the location go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers and click next, windows should find the CORRECT driver in that location and proceed to update the driver

5) after the update is complete click finish to close the dialog box, then unplug the ipod and plug it back in. itunes should now recognize the ipod.

Mr. Plow
06-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Sounds like you need to update/reinstall your Apple USB drivers... See if this works:

1) open device manager, either by right clicking on computer, and then clicking manage, and then finally on device manager, or by typing
devmgmt.msc in the search (or run) box on the bottom of the start menu and hitting enter.

2) find the ipod, it (should) be listed under digital cameras (or something to that effect), right click it and choose "update driver software"

3) choose "browse my computer for driver software"

4) for the location go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers and click next, windows should find the CORRECT driver in that location and proceed to update the driver

5) after the update is complete click finish to close the dialog box, then unplug the ipod and plug it back in. itunes should now recognize the ipod.

Ok, a few things:

1) The iPod is listed under "Imaging devices" in the device manager.

2) I went to the location you said: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers

3) It goes through the update, but in the window it says "Updating Digital Still Camera" - at the end it says "Wizard has finished installing the software for Digital Still Camera".

4) Unhooked iPod, closed iTunes, plugged iPod back in and I got the same result. Still opening Adobe as well as iTunes, but still not recognized as a drive.

Fish
06-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Ok, a few things:

1) The iPod is listed under "Imaging devices" in the device manager.

2) I went to the location you said: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers

3) It goes through the update, but in the window it says "Updating Digital Still Camera" - at the end it says "Wizard has finished installing the software for Digital Still Camera".

4) Unhooked iPod, closed iTunes, plugged iPod back in and I got the same result. Still opening Adobe as well as iTunes, but still not recognized as a drive.

OK. That must not have done it. Your issue is with the USB drivers though. The USB drivers are thinking the iPod is a camera instead of a drive.

Open this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1538

Follow the instructions there for reinstalling the Apple Mobile Device drivers. Note the part that says "If you do not see the Apple Mobile Device Driver", and if that's the case for you, follow the instructions for that.

If that still doesn't fix it, do the part where it says "iPod only, reinstall drivers for your computer's USB interface"

One of those steps should take care of it.

Great Expectations
06-28-2010, 02:59 PM

Can I use that on my iPod classic and then use the itunes on my laptop for both my iphone and ipod?

Buck
06-28-2010, 05:49 PM
I have a strange issue with mine that started about a week ago.

Anytime I try to go on it after its in Standby mode, it asks me to put in my iTunes password, no matter what, even if I put it in less than 5 minutes ago.

Guru
06-28-2010, 08:56 PM
the only problem I have had with mine is that it bogs down a lot since the 4.0 updated. I'm tempted to go back but hate losing the folders. I've rebooted several times to temporarily resolve the problem.

Mr. Plow
06-28-2010, 10:19 PM
OK. That must not have done it. Your issue is with the USB drivers though. The USB drivers are thinking the iPod is a camera instead of a drive.

Open this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1538

Follow the instructions there for reinstalling the Apple Mobile Device drivers. Note the part that says "If you do not see the Apple Mobile Device Driver", and if that's the case for you, follow the instructions for that.

If that still doesn't fix it, do the part where it says "iPod only, reinstall drivers for your computer's USB interface"

One of those steps should take care of it.

Tried all that with no luck. But, I did figure out one part of the problem.

As I was looking through my iPod, I found that there were 27 pictures of my background in a new folder. It was odd, they were all taken in like a 2 minute time frame. All showed the back ground, the time, and the "Slide to unlock". I deleted all of them, hooked up my iPod, and the Adobe shit stopped.

But, it's still not showing up as removable drive in My computer. I'm still messing around with it, but any ideas as to why it's not showing up?

Mr. Plow
06-28-2010, 10:21 PM
Wait....is it even supposed to show up? I seem to think it did, but just read something that says it doesn't.

EDIT: I know it does...or did...because that's how I transferred all my damn music which was the initial problem I had on this thread.

Mr. Plow
06-28-2010, 10:36 PM
For crying out loud, finally figured it out. Apple apparently had done some update along the way that made SharePod not work with the newer version....SharePod had put out an update to make it work again.

Just updated to the newest version, and boom. Man I waste so much freaking time trying to figure this shit out.

Fish
06-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Damn you Steve Jobs! :cuss:

:toast:

Mr. Plow
06-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Damn you Steve Jobs! :cuss:

:toast:

I do appreciate all the help.

Guru
06-28-2010, 10:54 PM
For crying out loud, finally figured it out. Apple apparently had done some update along the way that made SharePod not work with the newer version....SharePod had put out an update to make it work again.

Just updated to the newest version, and boom. Man I waste so much freaking time trying to figure this shit out.Hell, I thought sharepod was shut down some time ago because Steve didn't want the ipods to be accessible like that.

Mr. Plow
06-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Hell, I thought sharepod was shut down some time ago because Steve didn't want the ipods to be accessible like that.

Looks like it was - working now though. Just transferred everything back to my computer. Hell, it even automatically imported it into iTunes.