PDA

View Full Version : Music DT's Portnoy recording with Avenged Sevenfold

Lzen
02-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Yesterday, Avenged Sevenfold -- whose drummer James 'the Rev' Sullivan tragically passed away in December 2009 -- announced on their website that they are recording their new album with Dream Theater (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/artists/DreamTheater/) drummer Mike Portnoy.

Avenged Sevenfold said in part: "We asked Jimmy's all time favorite drummer Mike Portnoy to record on behalf of him. Mike said it would be an honor and without question that's what Jim would have wanted. It's comforting to us that someone like Mike, who is undoubtedly revered as one of the best drummers in the world, held such respect and adoration for the Rev's abilities."

In reply, Mike Portnoy issued this statement today:

"Even under normal circumstances, I would've been happy to help the guys out in any way I could as I think Avenged Sevenfold are a great band...but under these incredibly sad and tragic circumstances, I must say I am truly honored to have been asked to play with them and I didn't even have to think twice about saying ‘yes.’

“These guys are a true family and it is an incredibly emotional experience to be here with them for the first time without their lost brother. But they have welcomed me into the family with open arms and there's a real excitement to make the record they had set out to make.

“I am treating my participation on this album with the utmost respect for Jimmy's memory and am remaining as true as possible to the drum parts that he wrote for the songs and the record he wanted to make.

“I want their fans to realize that I'm not trying to step into or fill The Rev's shoes...I'm just merely lacing 'em up for him!"

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/Mike-Portnoy-Comments-on-Drumming-For-Avenged-Sevenfold-20977.aspx

Lzen
02-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Very cool and all class by Mike Portnoy. As most know, I love Dream Theater. I also like Avenged Sevenfold. Can't wait to hear the new album.

The Franchise
02-26-2010, 06:15 PM
That's fucking awesome.

chiefs1111
02-26-2010, 06:19 PM
looking forward to it

Reaper16
02-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Lame. Nice gesture, I guess, but still pretty lame.

Jewish Rabbi
02-26-2010, 08:11 PM
He already has recorded. They laid down the tracks this week.

Lzen
02-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Lame. Nice gesture, I guess, but still pretty lame.

:shake:

Reaper16
02-27-2010, 01:21 AM
:shake:
It'd be like getting Steve Vai to play guitar for Limp Bizkit if Wes Borland died. A nice gesture but pretty fucking stupid and a waste of talent on a bad band.

Jewish Rabbi
02-27-2010, 02:01 AM
It'd be like getting Steve Vai to play guitar for Limp Bizkit if Wes Borland died. A nice gesture but pretty fucking stupid and a waste of talent on a bad band.

ROFL

Just because you don't like them...

Pushead2
02-27-2010, 02:11 AM
It'd be like getting Steve Vai to play guitar for Limp Bizkit if Wes Borland died. A nice gesture but pretty ****ing stupid and a waste of talent on a bad band.

dropped on head much?

Pitt Gorilla
02-27-2010, 02:47 AM
It'd be like getting Steve Vai to play guitar for Limp Bizkit if Wes Borland died. A nice gesture but pretty ****ing stupid and a waste of talent on a bad band.It would be just like that if Avenged was a completely different band that sucked liked Limp Nicklebizkit.

Reaper16
02-27-2010, 07:45 AM
True fucking story: I was at this concert at the Beaumont Club back in late 2002 (the band was part of a 4-band bill but I was there to see High on Fire). The band hadn't yet released Waking the Fallen and the guitar players were not as good as they are today (and they are pretty darn good now). Anyway, they were terrible. I mean the band plays uninspired dreck and has been for years but at this stage in Avenged Sevenfold's career they were an atrocious live act. The buddy I was at the concert with began to heckle vocalist M. Shadows because he was not good (his harsh vocals were awful and he did almost no singing at this point in the band's career). The tame heckling got to be too much for M. Shadows who, after a song, began to tear up and said "Just... fucking shut up, ok?" to the crowd. About half of the crowd responded by adding their own heckles to the mix. And M. Shadows cried. To his credit he finished the set. But he still cried on stage.

Just a funny anecdote.

Jewish Rabbi
02-27-2010, 02:22 PM
True fucking story: I was at this concert at the Beaumont Club back in late 2002 (the band was part of a 4-band bill but I was there to see High on Fire). The band hadn't yet released Waking the Fallen and the guitar players were not as good as they are today (and they are pretty darn good now). Anyway, they were terrible. I mean the band plays uninspired dreck and has been for years but at this stage in Avenged Sevenfold's career they were an atrocious live act. The buddy I was at the concert with began to heckle vocalist M. Shadows because he was not good (his harsh vocals were awful and he did almost no singing at this point in the band's career). The tame heckling got to be too much for M. Shadows who, after a song, began to tear up and said "Just... fucking shut up, ok?" to the crowd. About half of the crowd responded by adding their own heckles to the mix. And M. Shadows cried. To his credit he finished the set. But he still cried on stage.

Just a funny anecdote.

I stopped reading here.

Crashride
02-27-2010, 02:44 PM
It'd be like getting Steve Vai to play guitar for Limp Bizkit if Wes Borland died. A nice gesture but pretty ****ing stupid and a waste of talent on a bad band.

I think that's a little over-board. Portnoy is a great drummer but is over-rated. I even predict that Mike's drum parts will be easier to play than the original drummers.

Reaper16
02-27-2010, 02:50 PM
I stopped reading here.
Of course you did. You have an Avenged Sevenfold avatar. You should stick up for the band, terrible though they (and your music tastes) are.

Consistent1
02-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Of course you did. You have an Avenged Sevenfold avatar. You should stick up for the band, terrible though they (and your music tastes) are.

A7X is the best band evah. I carved "Syn" into my forehead with a blunt ****ing screwdriver. Those ****ing guys rock man!

Jewish Rabbi
02-27-2010, 11:17 PM

So you claim that Syn, Zacky V., and Johnny Christ are good, but the band sucks? Not all bands are for everyone, but saying they're terrible just because you don't like them is ridiculous.

Reaper16
02-28-2010, 07:06 AM
So you claim that Syn, Zacky V., and Johnny Christ are good, but the band sucks? Not all bands are for everyone, but saying they're terrible just because you don't like them is ridiculous.
I find them to write a lot of bad songs. Bad songs will prevent one's band from being good.

DaneMcCloud
02-28-2010, 10:37 PM

And don't think for one second that monetary compensation isn't involved...

Lzen
03-01-2010, 08:53 AM

Dude, seriously? Did you ever listen to Avenged Sevenfold's drumming? Their drummer was pretty damn impressive.

Lzen
03-01-2010, 08:56 AM
And don't think for one second that monetary compensation isn't involved...

Well, of course. The thing is that Portnoy is comfortable doing this kind of thing. The guy is OCD, I think. He likes to keep himself busy. He has done many side projects with musicians outside DT (and some with a DT member or two). I'm guessing this will turn out well.

Lzen
03-01-2010, 08:59 AM
I find them to write a lot of bad songs. Bad songs will prevent one's band from being good.

Like what? What about their songs? Do you not like certain styles? Do you not care for their musicianship? Lyrics?

As for me, I don't think Avenged Sevenfold is the 'best band evar@!!'. Far from it. But I do like their music and enjoy listening to it from time to time (I have a couple of their albums). But I guess that's probably because I'm not a music snob. I just enjoy different styles of music (mostly rock and metal based, of course).

Reaper16
03-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Like what? What about their songs? Do you not like certain styles? Do you not care for their musicianship? Lyrics?

As for me, I don't think Avenged Sevenfold is the 'best band evar@!!'. Far from it. But I do like their music and enjoy listening to it from time to time (I have a couple of their albums). But I guess that's probably because I'm not a music snob. I just enjoy different styles of music (mostly rock and metal based, of course).
Boring, uninspired, drab songwriting. IMO of course.

Gravedigger
03-02-2010, 01:37 AM

Well pretty assholish thing to say but w/e, the fact you compared limp bizkit to avenged sevenfold is pretty laughable, Limp Bizkit will die a thousand times over before Wes Borland drops once.

Demonpenz
03-02-2010, 08:53 AM
God limp bizkit used to be big.

HC_Chief
03-02-2010, 10:14 AM
God limp bizkit used to be big.

And boy did they suck....

patteeu
03-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Avenged Sevenfold remind me of Opeth.

Lzen
03-02-2010, 10:29 AM

ROFL

NewChief
03-02-2010, 10:42 AM

Are you seriously trying to make Reaper's head explode?

Reaper16
03-02-2010, 06:09 PM
LMAO :thumb:

Crashride
03-06-2010, 07:47 AM
Are you seriously trying to make Reaper's head explode?

Def seems that was his intent haha

patteeu
03-06-2010, 07:52 AM
Def seems that was his intent haha

Alas, he saw through my ploy and just laughed instead. :)