PDA

View Full Version : Misc Telescopes

notorious
02-28-2010, 04:42 PM
I am looking at purchasing my first telescope. Budget is around a grand, but I will go over depending on the bonuses for the expense.

I would appreciate any input from anyone here that owns or uses a telescope.

Here are a few questions I have:

Are they worth it? (internet viewing is easy and cheap)

Which model/brand do you suggest?

How much do your kids enjoy it?

Thanks.

JD10367
02-28-2010, 05:13 PM
I know that the people who are really serious about it have their telescopes computer-controlled to find and/or remember points in space, which is pretty cool. And I doubt looking at something on the Internet can replace the visceral personal thrill of getting outside on a cold night with your telescope, just you and the quiet and the darkness, and hunting for stuff. (Plus, you can use it to spy through your neighbors' bedroom windows.)

I used to have a long "regular" telescope, but I think the funky short, squat mirror-reflecting ones do a better job of light-capturing. Could be wrong, though.

Just make sure you do a LOT of research, because a grand should be able to get you a pretty sweet setup I'd think.

One note on the kids, though: depending upon their ages, you might want to get a cheaper one for them, and a more expensive one for you.

notorious
02-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Thanks JD, I am leaning toward the auto-find feature. I will have to dish out the $$$, though.

From what I understand is that the short, large diameter scopes have more surface area, thus more light capturing capability.

There is just something about viewing the moon and planets in real-time (with light delay) that excites me.

Thanks for the info.

cdcox
02-28-2010, 05:48 PM
I wouldn't count on my kids digging it.

Buy it for you. If they end up sharing your enthusiasm, consider it a bonus.

JD10367
02-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Thanks JD, I am leaning toward the auto-find feature. I will have to dish out the $$$, though.

From what I understand is that the short, large diameter scopes have more surface area, thus more light capturing capability.

There is just something about viewing the moon and planets in real-time (with light delay) that excites me.

Thanks for the info.

http://www.telescopejunkies.com/category-view.asp

If there's one thing I love about the Interwebz, it's the motto, "If you have an interest... some schmuck has built a vBulletin membership board around it". :D Go forth and reconnoiter...

notorious
02-28-2010, 07:12 PM
http://www.telescopejunkies.com/category-view.asp

If there's one thing I love about the Interwebz, it's the motto, "If you have an interest... some schmuck has built a vBulletin membership board around it". :D Go forth and reconnoiter...

Thanks. I just did a Yahoo search for "Telescope Forum".

I will have to turn my Chiefsplanet sarcasm off.

I don't think "Anti-freeze" or an "AIDs Tree" comment will go over well on that forum.........