PDA

View Full Version : Computers Mac Mini: Anyone have experience with one?

memyselfI
03-01-2010, 08:56 AM
I'm looking to buy one for my son as a graduation present. He wants a Mac mostly for Garage Band and recording music in his room. I don't want to buy him a Mac laptop right now because he's not the most responsible teenager on the planet.

I figured I could get him an inexpensive Windows laptop, an external storage drive, and the Mac Mini for less than the price of a Mac desktop. He already has a PC which he will continue to use. I'm hoping he can use both desktops with one monitor. My question is there big loss of functionality with the Mac Mini? From what I've read it seems to have most of the functions he will use. Any thoughts?

Bane
03-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Yes.I have one hooked up to 2 32 inch lcd tvs,they have dual display capabilities right out of the box.Geat machine IMO.Not for big gaming,but has plenty of power for most other users.It's quiet,runs smoothly,and takes up minimal space.I have a TB external HD on it and moved all of my I Tunes music,movies,and videos over to it and can watch on one tv as I browse or whatever on the other screen.Good job by Apple on this one IMO.You can however get a cheaper windows based machine that will prob do the same thing,but I am very partial to Apple computers.

Fish
03-01-2010, 09:39 AM
It's not a bad little option. There are a few things to consider...

It's not very upgradable. There are 2 RAM slots on the new ones. Old ones only had one. If you want to bump up to 4GB of RAM, buy it elsewhere instead of upgrading through Apple. Apple's upgrade options are terribly overpriced.

It comes with DVI output only. If you have a vga monitor, you'll have to buy a separate miniDVI to VGA adapter. You can get one from a 3rd party manufacturer that's much much cheaper if you need the VGA adapter.

Unlike the iMac, the built-in speaker isn't quite worth listening to music on.

That said, it's a nice dependable little box. You can load Windows on it if you'd like, using Bootcamp, VMWare, or Parallels.

memyselfI
03-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the input. Apparently they don't make Garage Band for Windows and my son isn't impressed with any of the software we can afford that is Windows based. I figured this would be a good way to get his feet wet with Mac and perhaps he'll get a nice Mac laptop when he graduates COLLEGE. :D

Fish
03-01-2010, 09:41 AM
New minis have a GeForce 9400M video card with 256MB of unshared video RAM. Much better for gaming than the old ones. Not top of the line, but you can run quite a bit with it.

Brainiac
03-01-2010, 10:56 PM
I've been toying with the idea of getting a Mac Mini myself. I've ridiculed Mac users for years, but ever since I got an iPhone and saw how well-engineered everything on it is, I've wanted to get some sort of Mac desktop.

Miles
03-02-2010, 01:20 AM
Any thought of a used macbook rather than both a cheap PC laptop and min mac? I don't know much about the market for macs but merely suggest it because one of my friends in a weekend band recently went that route for recording.

Fruit Ninja
03-02-2010, 03:16 AM
wow, i didnt know what the fuck a mini mac was until i did some research. Coolest thing ever. So tiny. If it wasnt for me being a serious MMO gamer when there is a game out there i like, i would buy one. Only product i really know about from apple is ipods. lol

Fish
03-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Keep in mind that the reason it's so tiny is because the power supply is external.... and nearly as big as the mini is...

http://www.applematters.com/images/gallery/thisday/apple_mac_mini_power_cord_300x225_medium.jpg

The Rick
03-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Keep in mind that the reason it's so tiny is because the power supply is external.... and nearly as big as the mini is...

http://www.applematters.com/images/gallery/thisday/apple_mac_mini_power_cord_300x225_medium.jpg

Nah, I had a Mac Mini and that image is deceiving. It does have an external power supply, but it's not close to being as big as the Mini. It's maybe about half the size.

Anyone who's interested in buying a Mini may want to consider waiting a little bit. Rumors were flying yesterday that the Mini might be getting an HDMI out port in the next revision.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/03/01/apple_prepping_first_macs_with_hdmi_sources.html

wild1
03-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Can you upgrade the hard drive in them?

Fish
03-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Can you upgrade the hard drive in them?

Of course. It's just a normal SATA drive.