PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Final Fantasy XIII

Gravedigger
03-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Surprised there hasn't been a dedicated thread devoted to this game, at least one that is on the first five pages of these forums.

This game will be released on March 9th, 1 WEEK FROM TODAY. I got my energy drinks ready to go and this will be the first midnight release I go to since Halo 3. Blu Ray was a good reason to buy a PS3, but this is the real reason I purchased mine. I can't wait!

The trailer is kinda soft at first but it shows the games action and visuals later on. I think the combat is going to be a big improvement from XII, and I think the visuals speak for themselves.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jXv9DixV_Fo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jXv9DixV_Fo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

bishop_74
03-02-2010, 04:09 PM
I have this one pre-purchased. The stupid thing is they are releasing it for XBOX360.

KCChiefsMan
03-02-2010, 04:10 PM
I never got into the series, but I kind of wish I did. Now I feel like I would have to go back and play earlier games to be interested in it.

Pants
03-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Jap RPGs? Thanks, but no thanks.

QuikSsurfer
03-02-2010, 04:13 PM
JRPGs are for the birds.

QuikSsurfer
03-02-2010, 04:17 PM
and I hate grinding and random encounters.

Miles
03-02-2010, 04:23 PM
The Final Fantasy series is pretty much the only JRPG's I have ever been interested in. Though, they have kind of lost their edge for me after playing the bioware RPG's over the past few years.

Still there there is that bit of nostalgia from burning many hours as a kid playing the earlier ones and later college playing FFVII and FFX that has made this one of the anticipated titles for me.

Miles
03-02-2010, 04:25 PM

Sounds like much of that should be gone with FFXIII. The elimination of random encounters was a big improvement with FFXII but the grinding was still there if you wanted it.

Saulbadguy
03-02-2010, 04:53 PM

hahaha, noob.

Saulbadguy
03-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Pre-ordered. Will be on my doorstep on release date. Looking forward to it but it will be tough to squeeze in with all the other games i'm playing.

QuikSsurfer
03-02-2010, 05:17 PM
hahaha, noob.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/quikssurfer/gifs/ev5lcz.gif

DaFace
03-02-2010, 06:05 PM
I never got into the series, but I kind of wish I did. Now I feel like I would have to go back and play earlier games to be interested in it.

Well, the storylines aren't sequential (with the exception of X and X-2), so there's no reason you couldn't pick up somewhere in the middle. There are definitely gameplay similarities as you go along, but they change enough from each version that you won't really be "behind the curve" or anything.

If you DO decide to pick up from one of the past games, I highly recommend VI if you can handle old-school SNES graphics, VII as one of the best all-around games, and X as the best of the recent ones.

Reaper16
03-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Some American game critics don't like JRPGs because they demand innovation for the sake of innovation. I, being a gentleman and a scholar, love the classic JRPG style. FFXIII, with its "Americanized" combat, should please both camps.

Pants
03-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Some American game critics don't like JRPGs because they demand innovation for the sake of innovation. I, being a gentleman and a scholar, love the classic JRPG style. FFXIII, with its "Americanized" combat, should please both camps.

I ask for a good story out of an RPG. I have no problem with turn based combat.

TrickyNicky
03-02-2010, 06:19 PM
Well, the storylines aren't sequential (with the exception of X and X-2), so there's no reason you couldn't pick up somewhere in the middle. There are definitely gameplay similarities as you go along, but they change enough from each version that you won't really be "behind the curve" or anything.

If you DO decide to pick up from one of the past games, I highly recommend VI if you can handle old-school SNES graphics, VII as one of the best all-around games, and X as the best of the recent ones.

Or you could just play IX and get the best of everything. :D

Miles
03-02-2010, 06:20 PM

For the most part that is typically one of the strengths of the better FF games.

Der Flöprer
03-02-2010, 06:25 PM
I'm disappointed I won't be able to pick this up on release day. I've enjoyed this series since I was 10 years old.

KcMizzou
03-02-2010, 06:42 PM
I'm disappointed I won't be able to pick this up on release day. I've enjoyed this series since I was 10 years old.Same here. I'll have to wait a week or too, but I'll eventually spend many hours nerding out to this.

Edit: Trailer looks awesome... other than that gawd awful song.

Miles
03-02-2010, 06:51 PM
I'm disappointed I won't be able to pick this up on release day. I've enjoyed this series since I was 10 years old.

For many it was Zelda but the first game that really sucked me in like that was the first FF.

KcMizzou
03-02-2010, 06:52 PM
For many it was Zelda but the first game that really sucked me in like that was the first FF.Dragon Warrior

Miles
03-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Dragon Warrior

Completely forgot about that one. How I can remember this I have no idea, but I might have gotten that one for free for resubscribing to Nintendo Power. I played the hell out of that it but can't recall a damn thing about the story. Though, I vaguely recall the difficultly of the asshole at the end.

KcFanInGA
03-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Yeah, the wife just told me we will have some extra dough this month, so I'm going to preorder this on Friday, might even take the kids to the midnight opening just for shiggles. I loved FF12, and this one looks like a must buy as well. But 586p visuals on 360? Yeah, I'll take mine on PS3 please. (No offense to 360 owners, I have one of those too. But you gotta go with best available, Pioli style.)

KcFanInGA
03-02-2010, 08:58 PM

Now man. All Final Fantasy games ending in a roman numeral are seperate stories, none of them are related. You're good to go. I do recommend playing FF12 if you can at some point, just an awesome game.

Gravedigger
03-02-2010, 09:32 PM
The one thing I'm most excited about is the return of the sphere system from 10. I loved that talent system.

tyler360
03-03-2010, 09:48 PM
The one thing I'm most excited about is the return of the sphere system from 10. I loved that talent system.

That was one of my favorite things about that game. It was so amazing.

Huffmeister
03-04-2010, 09:28 AM
How I can remember this I have no idea, but I might have gotten that one for free for resubscribing to Nintendo Power.
That's awesome! That's how I got my copy of Dragon Warrior, too. It was supposed to be a Christmas present for me, but my dad mixed up the shipping address for the game and the address for the subscription. So, the game was sent to me at the house, and for the next couple of years, he would bring home the Nintendo Powers that were sent to his work. :D

scorpio
03-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Or you could just play IX and get the best of everything. :D

IX is vastly overrated imo

Pushead2
03-04-2010, 10:01 AM
can't wait..

Molitoth
03-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Dragon Warrior/zelda ruled RPG's for NES.
SNES had FF3 (espers!) and Secret of Mana/Chrono Trigger.

Saulbadguy
03-04-2010, 10:39 AM
That's awesome! That's how I got my copy of Dragon Warrior, too. It was supposed to be a Christmas present for me, but my dad mixed up the shipping address for the game and the address for the subscription. So, the game was sent to me at the house, and for the next couple of years, he would bring home the Nintendo Powers that were sent to his work. :D

Yep, same here. That was so awesome.

KCtotheSB
03-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Final Fantasy IX is by far, my most enjoyed Final Fantasy game. FFVI and FFX are closely behind. I played Final Fantasy XI (the online game) up until partying with other douchebags was mandatory. Perhaps it was my fault for playing an MMORPG and wanting to solo....but nevertheless, when partying wasn't optional anymore, I quit.

I've heard okay things about FFXIII from a graphical and musical standpoint, but along with that praise came the poor part: the story and characters are quite bland.

BillSelfsTrophycase
03-04-2010, 02:34 PM

Not really, all of the games have different settings, characters, and story lines. The only direct sequel in the series was FFX-2 (sequel to FFX).

MoreLemonPledge
03-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Final Fantasy IX is by far, my most enjoyed Final Fantasy game. FFVI and FFX are closely behind. I played Final Fantasy XI (the online game) up until partying with other douchebags was mandatory. Perhaps it was my fault for playing an MMORPG and wanting to solo....but nevertheless, when partying wasn't optional anymore, I quit.

I've heard okay things about FFXIII from a graphical and musical standpoint, but along with that praise came the poor part: the story and characters are quite bland.

VI, IV, VII, IX, and V in that order.

tyler360
03-04-2010, 11:36 PM
I have not played a final fantasy game in what feels like forever. This one looks promising.

BryanBusby
03-05-2010, 12:04 AM
I won't leak much about the game, but I have already played it and I will say this FF is the hardest one I've played in awhile (will seem easy for awhile than get hard) and depending on how much you like the characters will depend if you like the story or not.

Saulbadguy
03-05-2010, 03:18 PM
For those of us fortunate to have both systems, the PS3 version is said to look quite a bit better in cut scenes, and runs at full 1080P.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9022412

Gravedigger
03-06-2010, 05:39 AM
Looks like Gametrailers gives it an 8.6 and Gamespot gives it an 8.5.

Sounds like the little australian red head named Vanille makes you want to destroy kittens and consume Taylor Swifts soul. The black guy, Sazh, just seems to me like it's gonna be a hilariously stereotypical character. Even the trailer I posted earlier has him saying, "You think if you die everything will be sugar and rainbows?!" Just LOL, and with the little mini chocobo hidden atop his afro just cracks my shit up. I'll let you all watch the reviews if you wish, but regardless of the "bad" elements of the game the story and combat seem solid and classic final fantasy so I'm still pretty psyched.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-final-fantasy/62720

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/finalfantasy13/video/6252975/final-fantasy-xiii-video-review?hd=1&tag=topslot;watchlink;1

Miles
03-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Can't believe I am going to do this but I am picking up a copy at Gamestop at their midnight sale.

MoreLemonPledge
03-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Had some Amazon credit so I ordered it from them. Have to wait a few days though...

Miles
03-09-2010, 01:41 AM
Well that was probably the nerdiest thing I have ever done.

Seems like they have a pretty good system in place for these things at Gamestop as the whole thing took less than 10 minutes. The crowd was also less amusing/nerdy than I had expected for a title like FFXIII and I actually counted about 5 or 6 chicks among the 30 or so of us.

BryanBusby
03-09-2010, 04:36 AM
If anyone gets the PS3 version and doesn't want their code that came with it (it's for Final Fantasy XIV from what I understand), shoot me a PM please.

MoreLemonPledge
03-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Well that was probably the nerdiest thing I have ever done.

Seems like they have a pretty good system in place for these things at Gamestop as the whole thing took less than 10 minutes. The crowd was also less amusing/nerdy than I had expected for a title like FFXIII and I actually counted about 5 or 6 chicks among the 30 or so of us.

I've done a number of midnight releases. They're usually not as bad as you'd expect.

Gravedigger
03-09-2010, 11:22 AM
I played this game for about three hours last night after I got it and I gotta say it's very much like 10 so far, the only difference I can see is the story and characters, obviously, and the combat system. I'm just now getting into Paradigm Shifts, which I'm really digging btw, and holy shit does this game on the PS3 make my 46 inch flat screen look amazing. So far this game delivers on every level and even exceeds some expectations I had.

beach tribe
03-09-2010, 11:56 AM
I have this one pre-purchased. The stupid thing is they are releasing it for XBOX360.

Well, they do want to make money right?

bishop_74
03-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Well, they do want to make money right?

Of course... I just go to all the trouble to get all the gaming systems so I can play all the games I want, and what do they do? Start releasing them for all the systems. I wish it they would just do this for all the games.

Sure-Oz
03-09-2010, 12:24 PM
the xbox 360 version is supposed to be pretty inferior graphics wise

is this game worth buying? i haven't played a FF game since FF 8 and i believe 9. I never played the ps2 games but watched a friend beat them. Im already going to get GOW 3 next week, just got mlb 10 the show as well

Saulbadguy
03-09-2010, 12:27 PM

is this game worth buying? i haven't played a FF game since FF 8 and i believe 9. I never played the ps2 games but watched a friend beat them. Im already going to get GOW 3 next week, just got mlb 10 the show as well

You may wait until you beat GoW3 until you dive in to FF13.

Miles
03-09-2010, 12:30 PM
I didn't play enough last night to get much of a feel for the game itself. As expected with this series, the PS3 version looks really damn impressive so far. Looking forward to digging further into this tonight.

Saulbadguy
03-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Can't wait until I get home...

Miles
03-09-2010, 12:34 PM

Apparently everything on the 360 version runs in 576p while the PS3 runs cutsceens in 1080p and real time in 720p.

Saulbadguy
03-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Apparently everything on the 360 version runs in 576p while the PS3 runs cutsceens in 1080p and real time in 720p.

Pretty much why I was irritated when they announced at E3 that FFXIII would be on 360. It's evident they cut some things out of both versions because the 360 could not handle it all.

Sure-Oz
03-09-2010, 12:45 PM
You may wait until you beat GoW3 until you dive in to FF13.

Very True, I just read that it takes 60 hours or so to beat the new final fantasy, looks amazing. Are you getting GOW 3?

Miles
03-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Pretty much why I was irritated when they announced at E3 that FFXIII would be on 360. It's evident they cut some things out of both versions because the 360 could not handle it all.

I read somewhere that they were having size constraint issues trying to fit it onto one blu-ray and they had to compress the FMV and sound for the 360 version just to cram it onto 4 discs. Seems like this is the first big game that I am aware of where the 360's disc capacity has become a real issue.

Miles
03-09-2010, 12:52 PM
One other initial observation is that it was nice to see that neither of the characters introduced at the start were a dude that looks like a chick.

Saulbadguy
03-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Very True, I just read that it takes 60 hours or so to beat the new final fantasy, looks amazing. Are you getting GOW 3?

Yep - getting the ultimate edition in the badass Pandora's box. Wife will appreciate that. ROFL

bishop_74
03-09-2010, 02:06 PM
I read somewhere that they were having size constraint issues trying to fit it onto one blu-ray and they had to compress the FMV and sound for the 360 version just to cram it onto 4 discs. Seems like this is the first big game that I am aware of where the 360's disc capacity has become a real issue.

Just got mine... Loving it so far. That's what the guys at the store told me. Full game took up 8 discs for 360. So the shrunk the resolution and removed some gameplay to get it to fit for 360. Glad I didn't get it for my 360. That would have seriously pissed me off.

Sure-Oz
03-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Yep - getting the ultimate edition in the badass Pandora's box. Wife will appreciate that. ROFL

ROFL where can you get that?

Saulbadguy
03-09-2010, 07:22 PM
ROFL where can you get that?

http://www.amazon.com/God-War-III-Ultimate-Playstation-3/dp/B002UZT4PU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1268184142&sr=8-1

Basileus777
03-09-2010, 07:53 PM
What's this registration code for?

Sure-Oz
03-09-2010, 08:23 PM
http://www.amazon.com/God-War-III-Ultimate-Playstation-3/dp/B002UZT4PU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1268184142&sr=8-1

Sold out huh? damn its expensive

I went ahead and got FF, havent opened it yet

BryanBusby
03-09-2010, 09:01 PM
What's this registration code for?

What version? 360 or PS3?

Basileus777
03-09-2010, 09:02 PM
What version? 360 or PS3?

360. It says register for a special item, but the registration page seems to be down.

BryanBusby
03-09-2010, 09:16 PM
360. It says register for a special item, but the registration page seems to be down.

Nothing special, just avatars from what I hear. As for the server being down, I'm not surprised.

Square-Enix can't really handle a high volume of traffic all at once. Patches used (and probably still do) crushed them as soon as a new one hit for Final Fantasy XI.

Valiant
03-09-2010, 09:56 PM

Vandal Heart is still my favorite game..

DBOSHO
03-09-2010, 11:10 PM
I dont know why, but im not all that into this one...

I dont like the new combat system

Miles
03-09-2010, 11:27 PM
I dont know why, but im not all that into this one...

I dont like the new combat system

I didn't like the first hour or two all that much but after that I have been hooked. The combat system is getting a lot better once more aspects of it have started opening up.

I am a little over 6 hours in and here are some observations. Some real changes from previous FF titles so far which reminds me a bit of what Mass Effect 2 did to streamline some of the traditional RPG elements and focus more on the story and combat. Not much wandering around/exploring (at least so far), no MP, HP refills after every battle and the only equipable items are weapon and accessory.

BryanBusby
03-10-2010, 02:25 AM
I didn't like the first hour or two all that much but after that I have been hooked. The combat system is getting a lot better once more aspects of it have started opening up.

I am a little over 6 hours in and here are some observations. Some real changes from previous FF titles so far which reminds me a bit of what Mass Effect 2 did to streamline some of the traditional RPG elements and focus more on the story and combat. Not much wandering around/exploring (at least so far), no MP, HP refills after every battle and the only equipable items are weapon and accessory.
Sadly, you will not be doing any freelancing in this game for awhile. :( Take advantage of that opportunity and try to keep up on your Crystarium, otherwise you will be getting a beating when the wheels come off.

Miles
03-10-2010, 02:35 AM
Sadly, you will not be doing any freelancing in this game for awhile. :( Take advantage of that opportunity and try to keep up on your Crystarium, otherwise you will be getting a beating when the wheels come off.

I am really not minding the completely linear gameplay so far and there has been enough change to keep it from getting repetitive. I have gotten beat down a decent amount so far. Particularly when I get used to stronger party members and then have to use completely different ones.

Miles
03-10-2010, 02:37 AM
I think this is easily the best-looking console game I have played so far but my sample size is not that large.

BryanBusby
03-10-2010, 02:38 AM
My suggestion for Crystarium would be sticking to one specific role on upgrading per character until that part is maxed out, than focus on other ones. The only exception to that rule would be if you find a useful ability in another branch, than go for that first.

Example: I worked on unlocking the ability to wear 2 accessories for Lightning and Hope first.

Also keep your weapons upgraded decently and your Paradigms in line. If I knew I was running through some weak mobs, I'd just go all out blitzing. If that wasn't the case, I'd have my main paradigm lined up with buffing/debuffing if applicable.

Saulbadguy
03-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Lens of Truth final word:

Conclusion: As stated earlier, this was not as much of a comparison between the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, as it was a comparison between the Blu-Ray and the DVD. Although graphics are at sub 720 on the Xbox 360, textures and models looked nearly identical except for the hair. Final Fantasy is reputable for its epic cut scenes, but the Xbox 360 made you feel like you were watching it on low rez quicktime video from the late 90s. No doubt Microsoft will still make money off of paying Square Enix for breaching contract to port Final Fantasy XIII to the Xbox 360, but we wonder if it were really worth it. At least as a consumer, we can safely say, no.

MoreLemonPledge
03-10-2010, 09:55 AM

Conclusion: As stated earlier, this was not as much of a comparison between the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, as it was a comparison between the Blu-Ray and the DVD. Although graphics are at sub 720 on the Xbox 360, textures and models looked nearly identical except for the hair. Final Fantasy is reputable for its epic cut scenes, but the Xbox 360 made you feel like you were watching it on low rez quicktime video from the late 90s. No doubt Microsoft will still make money off of paying Square Enix for breaching contract to port Final Fantasy XIII to the Xbox 360, but we wonder if it were really worth it. At least as a consumer, we can safely say, no.

As a Final Fantasy fan who only owns an Xbox, I don't really care if the resolution is a bit below the PS3's. I still get to play the game.

Basileus777
03-10-2010, 12:38 PM

Bullshit. SE may have done a lazy port, but I'd rather play a lower-res version than none at all.

Now they need to make a PC version.

BryanBusby
03-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Bullshit. SE may have done a lazy port, but I'd rather play a lower-res version than none at all.

Now they need to make a PC version.

Could of been a bit of lazyness on S-E, but at the same time MS seems to penalize game makers for having 4 or more disks.

Saulbadguy
03-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Could of been a bit of lazyness on S-E, but at the same time MS seems to penalize game makers for having 4 or more disks.

Some of it may be laziness, some of it is probably limitations of the console itself.

BryanBusby
03-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Can only compress stuff so much before a difference is made in quality

Molitoth
03-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Just purchased this game today!!!! Will be my first FF game since FF9. Before that I played FF2/3/7/8/9.

Saulbadguy
03-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Just purchased this game today!!!! Will be my first FF game since FF9. Before that I played FF2/3/7/8/9.

This is my first since 8.

1/2/4/5/6/7/8/13 for me.

BryanBusby
03-10-2010, 07:31 PM
FF4 (2 in the US lol) was the best one

Basileus777
03-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Anyone want my code for the female-only version of the F13 avatar clothes?

KcMizzou
03-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Picked this up today.

If I weren't a FF geek already, the first couple hours would have really turned me off. You basically run straight ahead and mash the A button. (over and over again)

But, things have started to pick up, with the paradigm shifts, and the talent system. I'm really enjoying it now... just seems like it has one hell of a long tutorial.

And visually, it's amazing. Even on the 360. :p

Molitoth
03-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Picked this up today.

If I weren't a FF geek already, the first couple hours would have really turned me off. You basically run straight ahead and mash the A button. (over and over again)

No doubt, I'm pretty bored already. And another thing that annoys me is all of the moaning coming out of the characters. The little girl constantly moans, and the handsome looking trenchcoat guy has the cheesiest lines. "I'm a heroooo!"

Dunno, I just hope it gets better.

Personally I don't think any FF game will beat the Esper Storyline of FF3. The characters were all great as well.

Sabin, Locke, Shadow, Gogo, Mog, Cyan, Terra, etc.

Sofa King
03-12-2010, 09:20 AM
FF4 (2 in the US lol) was the best one

2 and 7 are the two best ones ever IMO

Rausch
03-12-2010, 09:21 AM
2 and 7 are the two best ones ever IMO

I loved X.

I have no idea why it's always left out of the argument...

Rausch
03-12-2010, 09:22 AM
This is my first since 8.

1/2/4/5/6/7/8/13 for me.

You absolutely must play 10.

Huge replay value...

Rausch
03-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Picked this up today.

Not what I wanted to hear...

Sure-Oz
03-12-2010, 11:09 AM
They need to remake FF7 or have a continue from that....although i guess the movie did end it

Sure-Oz
03-12-2010, 11:11 AM
wtf is Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Saulbadguy
03-12-2010, 11:54 AM
wtf is Final Fantasy Versus XIII

A different game. :) I think it will be more action based?

Reaper16
03-12-2010, 01:25 PM
VI/IV/I/VII/VIII/V/IX/II/III/X/XI/X-2/XII for me with XIII coming up sometime in the next month.

Wa-Z
03-12-2010, 01:45 PM
ya, the characters can be a little cheesy at times...i think that's just how japanese like it

Sure-Oz
03-12-2010, 09:59 PM
So far i've played a few hours and it's definetly repetative, now im dealing with the twin bitches and i can't figure out wtf im doing to not beat them...

I must say this game so far is different than what im used to considering ive played all the way up to FF 9 and didn't finish that one.

The graphics are amazing, and some of the enemies so far are kind've retarded, such as the weird things that look like their from silent hill.

Still it's cool so far and i'm hoping there is more...

It seems so far im doing nonstop tutorials

Also the young chick keeps changing accents it seems, and well i forgot about the sluttyish clothing they give some characters lol

Sure-Oz
03-12-2010, 10:01 PM
A different game. :) I think it will be more action based?

I hope so, i saw a few pics off of the amazon site and it looks sweet as well.

KcMizzou
03-12-2010, 10:05 PM
So far i've played a few hours and it's definetly repetative, now im dealing with the twin bitches and i can't figure out wtf im doing to not beat them...
Paradigm shift to Sentinel and just use "Steeldefender" or whatever it is over and over till the bar fills, then hit X

Sure-Oz
03-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Paradigm shift to Sentinel and just use "Steeldefender" or whatever it is over and over till the bar fills, then hit X
Excellent, i will try this once i start playing...i believe i played 4 hours straight, this will help, ive already died 4 times in a row :( i was like wtf

KcMizzou
03-12-2010, 10:13 PM
I think of "Hope" as "Mope".

And yeah. The obnoxious redheaded girl could lead you to end up "having a seat over there".

Sure-Oz
03-12-2010, 10:15 PM

And yeah. The obnoxious redheaded girl could lead you to end up "having a seat over there".

ROFL

I know, mope is definetly annoying so far...those crazy japanese like having atleast a few of those young silly redheds in their ff games

Hell even the mopes mom had bazookas

BryanBusby
03-12-2010, 10:16 PM

haha that was my first exact thought about Vanille

Miles
03-12-2010, 10:43 PM

Pretty amusing how far over the top she is. The bit after shiva where she sits down apparently making sounds of exhaustion hardly sounded as it should. I googled it and apparently the character is supposed to be 19 so I guess everyone is in the clear.

Mecca
03-12-2010, 11:16 PM
I picked this up, 3 discs on a 360 is pretty ridiculous I must say.

MoreLemonPledge
03-12-2010, 11:23 PM

Lost Odyssey is 4 discs. It really doesn't bother me to take 30 seconds to get off my ass and change discs a couple of times over the course of 50 hours of gameplay.

Miles
03-12-2010, 11:26 PM

Apparently the PS3 version is 38 GB. I have read that you really don't have to change the discs more than once in order.

KcMizzou
03-12-2010, 11:29 PM
I picked this up, 3 discs on a 360 is pretty ridiculous I must say.You sure this is for you? This is pretty hard-core geek stuff.

KcMizzou
03-12-2010, 11:30 PM
Lost Odyssey is 4 discs. It really doesn't bother me to take 30 seconds to get off my ass and change discs a couple of times over the course of 50 hours of gameplay.Yeah, me either...

(I have Lost Odyssey too)

FWIW, this is getting a hell of a lot more fun, the longer I play it. I like the shifts.

Miles
03-12-2010, 11:42 PM
You sure this is for you? This is pretty hard-core geek stuff.

Admittedly quite true. LMAO They almost make it seem like bioware games are for the cool kids.

KcMizzou
03-12-2010, 11:48 PM
Admittedly quite true. LMAO They almost make it seem like bioware games are for the cool kids.Hell yeah. I love both.

Mecca
03-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Son I play a lot of geek games, I put in like a year on Fallout 3, and played Final Fantasy 7 through whatever this is 13.

I have Mass Effect 2...I can channel my inner geek if I need to.

Miles
03-12-2010, 11:54 PM
Son I play a lot of geek games, I put in like a year on Fallout 3, and played Final Fantasy 7 through whatever this is 13.

I have Mass Effect 2...I can channel my inner geek if I need to.

You are good to go then. It does start pretty slow but after that it turns into something that really cuts into sleep.

KcMizzou
03-12-2010, 11:57 PM

I have Mass Effect 2...I can channel my inner geek if I need to.LMAO

Right on. Don't give up on it a couple of hours in. It gets better.

Mecca
03-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Do any of your wives get really upset about this?

KcMizzou
03-13-2010, 12:01 AM
Do any of your wives get really upset about this?I'm divorced. My two sons live with me, we're kinda into the same things.

When dad gets a new toy, they do too.

Mecca
03-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Oh I have a kind of sort of GF she might kill me if I spend a ton of time playing a game...

She's still in that "I want to call you 5 times a day stage" I'm being nice but not enjoying it.

MoreLemonPledge
03-13-2010, 12:05 AM
Do any of your wives get really upset about this?

My wife just gives me weird looks and calls me a nerd, which is true. She said Mass Effect was like a gay soap opera (NTTAWWT).

Mecca
03-13-2010, 12:07 AM
Well your wife seems at least ok with it....

Hopefully after a few weeks I'll get some more time to myself again.

Miles
03-13-2010, 12:14 AM
No GF at the moment so I am free to nerd out. I would probably have to be a little along in a relationship before I would freely admit to some of my deeper nerd tenancies like this stuff.

Mecca
03-13-2010, 12:18 AM
No GF at the moment so I am free to nerd out. I would probably have to be a little along in a relationship before I would freely admit to some of my deeper nerd tenancies like this stuff.

Ha, well some chicks like games though...

Basileus777
03-13-2010, 12:24 AM
I'm in Chapter 10 and so far I've enjoyed the game. I came in with lowered expectations due to all the backlash, so the linearity, and character/story elements are actually better than I expected. The battle system is fun even though it's a bit repetitive.

The game is mad Japanese, but I think I might like it better than the mediocre PS2 Final Fantasies.

BryanBusby
03-13-2010, 12:27 AM
I may be in the minority, but FFX was decent.

Miles
03-13-2010, 12:29 AM
Ha, well some chicks like games though...

Oh yeah then you are set. Hardly a very common interest for most but probably much more so than 10 years ago.

tyler360
03-13-2010, 12:31 AM
There has been some very corny moments so far.

The whole Hero thing was a bit much.

I am hoping this really picks up soon. I just beat Odin. Man that was a bitch.

tyler360
03-13-2010, 12:32 AM

I totally liked that game too.

Idk why there is so much hate for the game.

Miles
03-13-2010, 12:36 AM

I remember X being damn good but it has been a long time.

I also thought FFXII was decent as well but I found it pretty lacking in the story and it was pretty grind-tastic. Didn't help that that the primary character was pretty brutal as well.

BryanBusby
03-13-2010, 12:41 AM
I remember X being damn good but it has been a long time.

I also thought FFXII was decent as well but I found it pretty lacking in the story and it was pretty grind-tastic. Didn't help that that the primary character was pretty brutal as well.

The problem with FFXII was they lifted too much from FFXI when making it and realized an offline RPG should probably have shit like a better story, less of a grind, etc. But yeah, FFXII was basically an offline Final Fantasy XI.

Judging by what I've seen in FFXIV previews and have played so far in XIII, this controls....battle system and what not is ran off the engine they designed for XIV. This time though, they did a better job making it feel more like a traditional RPG.

Sure-Oz
03-14-2010, 01:19 AM
I have played several hours on my buddys ffxiii game. I have yet to open mine and i am considering returning it and just getting GOW 3. I can borrow ffxiii from my friend anyway and well this game's story almost makes me not give a shit about the characters. Graphics are amazing, I guess i just dont feel like its like the FF games ive played, 7 8 9 and some of 10. I was excited but it just isn't as good as i thought it would be, atleast so far. That said, i probably will finish the game, but wait for my friend to loan it to me and get GOW 3 when i return my ffxiii, basically an even exchange.

KcMizzou
03-14-2010, 01:56 AM
I'm a little over 10 hours in, and really enjoying it now.

Sure-Oz
03-14-2010, 03:57 AM
I'm a little over 10 hours in, and really enjoying it now.
Glad you are...i just am having trouble giving a crap about the story and characters...its almost forced. Not bad, but not what I remember from Final Fantasy.

Reaper16
03-14-2010, 09:45 AM
You're in the minority for feeling that FFX was merely decent. A lot of gamers rightly think that it is one of the better in the series.

DBOSHO
03-14-2010, 10:14 AM
I loved ffX. Its one of my favorite games of all time. Awesome characters, good plot, good gameplay.

Molitoth
03-15-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm 11 hours in now. Here is what I think: Pros and cons.

*The storyline is absolute dogshit.
*The battle system is excellent, I'm loving the Paradigm Shifts. (Haven't really figured out the use of Odin yet though)
*There is WAY too much video clips, and not enough actual fighting.
*The characters are terrible except for Lightning. I would rather read dialogue than listen to Vanille or Hope moan anymore.
*The graphics are great.

ps- The clip where Sahz saw up Vanilles skirt while she was climbing up the rock was pretty damn funny though.

Sure-Oz
03-15-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm 11 hours in now. Here is what I think: Pros and cons.

*The storyline is absolute dogshit.
*The battle system is excellent, I'm loving the Paradigm Shifts. (Haven't really figured out the use of Odin yet though)
*There is WAY too much video clips, and not enough actual fighting.
*The characters are terrible except for Lightning. I would rather read dialogue than listen to Vanille or Hope moan anymore.
*The graphics are great.

ps- The clip where Sahz saw up Vanilles skirt while she was climbing up the rock was pretty damn funny though.

The storyline i can't even follow right, it sucks imo...i dont care that much about hte characters. also i dont like that you cant travel to worlds and towns. I am returning mine tomorrow (unopened) for gow 3, ive been playin my buddies ffxiii game at his pad. I will still beat it but so far not worth a buy for me. hope they improve the next one. Graphics rule though.

bishop_74
03-15-2010, 03:01 PM
I am enjoying it so far. I really liked 10 for sure. The battle system is growing on me as I get more abilities and it becomes a bit more complex. I think I see where the story is going, and now I am more interested to see if I am right. I am about 30 hours in or so.

Molitoth
03-15-2010, 06:04 PM
Welp, I just returned mine. Just thinking of the storyline irked me.

Sure-Oz
03-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Welp, I just returned mine. Just thinking of the storyline irked me.

Returned it? wasn't it open? Only reason i am returning mine cause my buddy is going to loan it to me after he beats it.

DaFace
03-15-2010, 11:21 PM
Well, I finally got it, and so far my feelings are mixed. The storyline to this point has been confusing at best, and the melodrama is a bit over the top. (Maybe it didn't seem as out-of-place when you were reading it rather than hearing voice actors.) I do like the blend of XII's constantly-in-battle system with the old style episodic battles. I'm not sure what I think about playing more of a commander rather than having control over each character individually, but it is kind of fun. We'll see...

HerculesRockefell
03-16-2010, 12:06 AM
Only just started Chapter 3, so just got to the Paradigms and Crystarium system (or whatever it's called). Really unimpressed so far, but everyone said since the release of the Japanese version that it takes 6 or so hours to get into it and 20 hours before it's not linear.

Sorry, I just don't think you should be forced to play 6 hours of a game before it somehow becomes worth it. Of course I'm going to do it and hopefully my opinion will change, but at the same time playing the game isn't exactly the first thing that comes to my mind when I have some free time.

Oh, and:

Tactics, 7, 9, 6, 4, 1, and 12.

10 was ok, and I absolutely hated 8.

Molitoth
03-16-2010, 09:05 AM
Returned it? wasn't it open? Only reason i am returning mine cause my buddy is going to loan it to me after he beats it.

Gamestop allows full refund on used-games for 7 days.

I was 14 hours in, Disc 2 and it still sucked.

Sure-Oz
03-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Gamestop allows full refund on used-games for 7 days.

I was 14 hours in, Disc 2 and it still sucked.

ROFL

i heard some say its gets better after 20+ im like wow....i hear its a 60 hour game. I can borrow it from a friend so im good, returning mine today to get GOW 3, hell yes

Molitoth
03-16-2010, 09:41 AM
I never did get to play Oblivion, so I picked it up for $14 instead.

CoMoChief
03-16-2010, 10:50 AM
RPG games suck.

Saulbadguy
03-16-2010, 10:51 AM
RPG games suck.

Signed,
CoMoChief

Sure-Oz
03-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Signed,
CoMoChief

How are you liking ff so far, how far are you?

Saulbadguy
03-16-2010, 11:36 AM
How are you liking ff so far, how far are you?

Few hours. Seems pretty good. Obviously watered down compared to previous FF experiences but I still enjoy it.

Molitoth
03-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Signed,
CoMoChief

Heh. He's useless.

Sure-Oz
03-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Few hours. Seems pretty good. Obviously watered down compared to previous FF experiences but I still enjoy it.

Def. watered down, i still like playing it but i hope the versus game is better

Saulbadguy
03-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Def. watered down, i still like playing it but i hope the versus game is better

Looking forward to both Versus and Agito...

Sure-Oz
03-16-2010, 12:00 PM
what is agito?

versus looks cool based off screenshots

Frazod
03-16-2010, 12:06 PM
I've never played any of these. What are they similar to?

Gravedigger
03-16-2010, 03:11 PM

Final Fantasy X was my favorite, the story, sphere grid system, and battle system were everything great about final fantasy. The graphics were just awe inspiring with vocal work that was quite unprecedented at that time, the story is what drove me. Also me and my buddy were talking about FF13, he doesn't like it, but I compared it to 10 and said the only thing that 10 has that 13 doesn't so far is more epic moments. I think outside of sephiroth killing aerith in FF7 the scene in FF10 where you fight Yunalesca is probably the greatest scene in RPG history.

Rausch
03-17-2010, 05:06 AM
Final Fantasy X was my favorite, the story, sphere grid system, and battle system were everything great about final fantasy. The graphics were just awe inspiring with vocal work that was quite unprecedented at that time, the story is what drove me. Also me and my buddy were talking about FF13, he doesn't like it, but I compared it to 10 and said the only thing that 10 has that 13 doesn't so far is more epic moments. I think outside of sephiroth killing aerith in FF7 the scene in FF10 where you fight Yunalesca is probably the greatest scene in RPG history.

FUCK YEAH!

http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/images/ccarter/2005/07/26/chasing.jpg

Now that is a shared moment...

Saulbadguy
03-17-2010, 08:13 AM
what is agito?

versus looks cool based off screenshots

Agito is the PSP game.

MoreLemonPledge
03-17-2010, 11:06 PM
I'll be starting my FFXIII experience in a few minutes. My expectations are tempered, but I'm still pretty excited.

SDChiefs
03-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Just picked it up. Hope Im not disappointed. Not planning on leaving my house til Monday.

Sure-Oz
03-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Just picked it up. Hope Im not disappointed. Not planning on leaving my house til Monday.

Well apparently it gets better after about 20+ hours

bishop_74
03-20-2010, 10:37 AM
The gameplay has really grown on me. I am in the middle of chapter 9 so far. Apparenlty chapter 10 affords you the ability to completely choose the characters you want, and 11 is a huge world with lots of side quests you can complete. According to the book I am not even half way through the story, or 1/4 of the way through the game yet.

DaFace
03-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Starting to officially be disappointed. I'm about 10 hours in, and so far, I'm bored as hell. I'm sure it'll be reasonably OK once I get to the 20-hour mark that everyone talks about, but it just doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy game. Plot is lame and convoluted. Characters are one-dimensional and uninteresting. Yawn.

SDChiefs
03-23-2010, 10:26 AM
I really like it. Played all weekend and and couldn't put the controller down. Lacks some in the story line but the game play, paradigms, and battle scenes make up for it. I remember in the past that I would get so pissed when they would have random encounters. Now I go out of my way to try and get into battles. Chrystarium is pretty sick too and visuals are just amazing.

Miles
03-31-2010, 11:55 PM
Yahtzee reviewed it this week. If you are familiar with him, it was obvious that he was going to trash it, but the clip is still pretty amusing.

<embed src="http://cdn2.themis-media.com/media/global/movies/player/flowplayer.commercial-3.1.5.swf" flashvars="config=http://www.themis-media.com/videos/config/1569-7c754a052c740a3c35a48df6fa9fba0b.js%3Fembed%3D1" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" width="650" height="389" wmode="opaque"></embed>

Saulbadguy
04-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Starting to officially be disappointed. I'm about 10 hours in, and so far, I'm bored as hell. I'm sure it'll be reasonably OK once I get to the 20-hour mark that everyone talks about, but it just doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy game. Plot is lame and convoluted. Characters are one-dimensional and uninteresting. Yawn.

If you can get a few more hours in to it, it really picks up. It doesn't feel like Final Fantasy at all but I am enjoying it.

DaFace
04-01-2010, 03:50 PM
If you can get a few more hours in to it, it really picks up. It doesn't feel like Final Fantasy at all but I am enjoying it.

I'm getting there. I have to say, the battles are definitely more exciting with three characters instead of two. Plot is still kinda meh, but getting better.

Basileus777
04-02-2010, 11:08 PM
I haven't played this in two weeks, so i figured I try and get back into it and finish it. But god do I hate chapter 11. You finally get some freedom, only to realize that it's just to (slowly) run around a huge map to grind against enemies. Ugh.

Miles
04-04-2010, 12:39 AM
I haven't played this in two weeks, so i figured I try and get back into it and finish it. But god do I hate chapter 11. You finally get some freedom, only to realize that it's just to (slowly) run around a huge map to grind against enemies. Ugh.

I really enjoyed the open world part of it for the most part. I went though the first 16 or so missions, upgraded some of my stuff and then moved on. I did grind a bit getting cash for the upgrades but I didn't mind because it brought back memories of doing the same in past FF games.

My major complaint was the map system for navigating the larger area was pretty shitty and disorienting. I have no idea why it was programmed to rotate in the direction you are facing instead of a standard static map. No bearing references (North, South, East, West) made it even worse.

Saulbadguy
04-14-2010, 08:56 AM
Just beat Cid Raines in Chapter 10, and holy shit, crystarium abilities cost 4000 cp now!!

I'm only 23 hours in to it - do the chapters get longer?

DaFace
05-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Finally beat the game tonight. Now I'm going back and trying to complete all of the missions. Some of those things are TOUGH.

Anyway, the end of the game was much more fun than the beginning. It's pretty sad that I spent more time in chapters 11-13 than I did in 1-10. The game's best part (for me) is the part that had the least amount of structure. The story in the end was kind of typical Final Fantasy - decent, touching, but a little cheesy at the same time. All in all, though, I'm glad I played it.

Hopefully they'll make the next one more RPG-like.

DaFace
05-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Just beat Cid Raines in Chapter 10, and holy shit, crystarium abilities cost 4000 cp now!!

I'm only 23 hours in to it - do the chapters get longer?

I just beat the game at 60 hours for what that's worth. The end-game is pretty much whatever you make of it. You could probably beat it in 35-40 hours if you really wanted to, though I bet the final bosses would be a ginormous pain in the ass at that level.

MoreLemonPledge
05-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Hopefully they'll make the next one more RPG-like.

Technically, the next one is another MMORPG.

Sure-Oz
05-09-2010, 12:12 AM
I just beat the game at 60 hours for what that's worth. The end-game is pretty much whatever you make of it. You could probably beat it in 35-40 hours if you really wanted to, though I bet the final bosses would be a ginormous pain in the ass at that level.

The first 15-20 hours i quit....i had really no interest in the story or characters, plus the style. Doesn't feel like a final fantasy game imo. did you like it

Miles
05-09-2010, 12:42 AM
Technically, the next one is another MMORPG.

Ugh. Is that going to push back FFXIII VS?

MoreLemonPledge
05-09-2010, 12:43 AM
Ugh. Is that going to push back FFXIII VS?

No. FFXIV (the MMO) isn't coming out until after if I remember correctly.

BryanBusby
05-09-2010, 04:35 AM
No. FFXIV (the MMO) isn't coming out until after if I remember correctly.

FFXIV is suppose to launch by the end of this year and was in development well before FFXIII, so the teams are completely separate. The XIV team is mostly made of the development team from XI, with the original Final Fantasy composer making the music. Uematsu is still a hell of a artist.

If you like the more open part of Final Fantasy XIII and the poopsocking ways of a MMO, you'll probably like XIV.

Saulbadguy
05-09-2010, 10:03 AM

I beat it last week at 43 hours. The last boss was kinda tough after he used the "Merciless Judgement" move but a sentinel+medic+medic took care of that if I timed it right.

I haven't anything past end game yet, took a break to play Heavy Rain.

Saulbadguy
01-31-2012, 07:45 AM
So, uh, anyone getting Final Fantasy XIII-2 today?

QuikSsurfer
01-31-2012, 08:51 PM
fuck that jpop bullshit

DaFace
01-31-2012, 08:57 PM

I'll pick it up eventually, but I'm not in a huge hurry.

Rausch
01-31-2012, 09:09 PM

Had the 1st one 6 months and never got beyond about the 1/2 way mark.

Hated the gameplay and I guess I'm too old for the $3itty japanese pop music and teeny love storylines...

ThaVirus
01-31-2012, 11:08 PM
The Final Fantasy series is pretty much the only JRPG's I have ever been interested in. Though, they have kind of lost their edge for me after playing the bioware RPG's over the past few years.

Still there there is that bit of nostalgia from burning many hours as a kid playing the earlier ones and later college playing FFVII and FFX that has made this one of the anticipated titles for me.

FFVII was one of the best games of all time, IMO. FFX wasn't far behind it; 1a and 1b. FFVIII was pretty cool but not on the same level. I haven't played any of the others so I assume they all suck.

KcMizzou
01-31-2012, 11:24 PM
Had the 1st one 6 months and never got beyond about the 1/2 way mark.

Hated the gameplay and I guess I'm too old for the $3itty japanese pop music and teeny love storylines...Same. It's a shame because, damn... I used to love FF.

Setsuna
02-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Japan is trading their former gaming dynasties for world domination aspirations. They will be laughing all the way to their nuclear launch pads while we're playing and giggling with our XBOX360s and PS3s up our a$$e$.

crispystl420
02-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Japan is trading their former gaming dynasties for world domination aspirations. They will be laughing all the way to their nuclear launch pads while we're playing and giggling with our XBOX360s and PS3s up our a$$e$.

I know you're probably too young, but have you ever played the first Final Fantasy? That shit was epic compared to the games of it's time.

Saulbadguy
02-07-2012, 09:28 AM
For those who care, I like XIII-2 quite a bit better than the first. There is more customization available on how you build your characters and parties, and more of a "completion-ist" feel to it. The story is also much, much better.

SuperChief
02-07-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm about 85% through FFXIII, and I'm definitely a fan. IMO the story is neat and the gameplay is even better. Very fluid. Graphics are incredible, IMO. I do look forward to XIII-2.

DaFace
03-19-2012, 09:21 PM
For those who care, I like XIII-2 quite a bit better than the first. There is more customization available on how you build your characters and parties, and more of a "completion-ist" feel to it. The story is also much, much better.

I'm about 10 hours in, and it's a DRAMATIC improvement over XIII to me. I hated how linear XIII was, and XIII-2 lets you off the leash right off the bat. I've probably spent half of the 10 hours just exploring side quests and alternate areas.

Setsuna
03-20-2012, 10:25 PM
I know you're probably too young, but have you ever played the first Final Fantasy? That shit was epic compared to the games of it's time.

I have not. I have played II, III, IV, and V. I do agree. They were really, really revolutionary. But they hit their ceiling a while back unfortunately.

KcMizzou
03-20-2012, 10:36 PM
I loved the old turn based RPGs. Early FF, Dragon Warrior...