PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Movies you onced loved but not so much anymore

Miles
03-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Kinda borrowing an idea from avclub.com with this. Many movies can seem better after you have watched them multiple times but this is the opposite.

What are some movies that you highly regarded around the time you first watched them but upon revisiting them later they just didn't hold up or you might even consider to have drifted over into POS territory?

HC_Chief
03-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Other than Dogma, everything by Kevin Smith

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-02-2010, 05:01 PM
I remember liking Independence Day when I was 13.

Miles
03-02-2010, 05:02 PM

Damn, I should have added liking a shitty movie while growing up don't count.

Miles
03-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Just to throw another example out there - Donnie Darko

HC_Chief
03-02-2010, 05:43 PM
A buddy of mine kept going on and on about how awesome Boondock Saints was and how I would love it because I dig the gritty, terse films, ala Tarantino, Scorsese, Kubrick.

So I borrow the DVD from him and oh my God, what a #&*%@ing ghey, lame, retarted[sic] piece of shit movie. What's even more incredible is they made a freaking sequel to it! Damn man, microwaved diareha.

Miles
03-02-2010, 05:48 PM
A buddy of mine kept going on and on about how awesome Boondock Saints was and how I would love it because I dig the gritty, terse films, ala Tarantino, Scorsese, Kubrick.

So I borrow the DVD from him and oh my God, what a #&*%@ing ghey, lame, retarted[sic] piece of shit movie. What's even more incredible is they made a freaking sequel to it! Damn man, microwaved diareha.

Couldn't agree more. I probably would have considered it a decent late night B movie if not for the absurd hype.

One of my friends has been telling me for a while that I need to check out the documentary "Overnight" which apparently details how big of a raging douch the director is.

jidar
03-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Not a single one.

How could you like a movie then decide it sucks later? That doesn't make any sense at all.
If you liked it at one point then there was something good about it to make you like it, and it's not the movie that has changed so... why does it suck now? How could it? Maybe you don't enjoy it like you did, but that's not the movies fault, you've just changed.

Brock
03-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Quite a few movies that I liked a lot when I first saw them, but never care to see them again.

American Beauty, for example.

Reaper16
03-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Couldn't agree more. I probably would have considered it a decent late night B movie if not for the absurd hype.

One of my friends has been telling me for a while that I need to check out the documentary "Overnight" which apparently details how big of a raging douch the director is.
Overnight is a delightful little piece of schadenfreude.

Miles
03-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Not a single one.

How could you like a movie then decide it sucks later? That doesn't make any sense at all.
If you liked it at one point then there was something good about it to make you like it, and it's not the movie that has changed so... why does it suck now? How could it? Maybe you don't enjoy it like you did, but that's not the movies fault, you've just changed.

Any music you once liked at the time but now realize it was actually shitty?

Deberg_1990
03-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Alot of movies i loved as a kid in the 80's havent aged well at all.

Brock
03-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Alot of movies i loved as a kid in the 80's havent aged well at all.

Ha, I loved the Conan movies back then, now they are just good for a laugh.

Pablo
03-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Boondock Saints is the first that comes to mind.

ChiefFripp
03-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Less Than Zero

keg in kc
03-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Superman and Superman 2. I loved them as a kid in the 80's. I think they're unwatchable as an adult in the '10s.

Deberg_1990
03-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Ha, I loved the Conan movies back then, now they are just good for a laugh.

Conan is still good....Conan the Destroyer is unwatchable....

Count Zarth
03-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Nothing. Every movie from my childhood is still fucking cream cheese to me. I can't think of a single thing I wouldn't want to watch again.

Guess I'm nuts.

Deberg_1990
03-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Nothing. Every movie from my childhood is still ****ing cream cheese to me. I can't think of a single thing I wouldn't want to watch again.

Guess I'm nuts.

heh....Dick Tracy was on TV the other day.....Never liked it to begin with, but its really horrible now.

Count Zarth
03-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Superman and Superman 2. I loved them as a kid in the 80's. I think they're unwatchable as an adult in the '10s.

Come on, man! How can you not love this shit? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewwWvQCP1HQ

Count Zarth
03-02-2010, 06:31 PM
heh....Dick Tracy was on TV the other day.....Never liked it to begin with, but its really horrible now.

That's Al Pacino's finest film.

http://i.imgur.com/hw1A3.jpg (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1174)

SnakeXJones
03-02-2010, 06:35 PM
No Holds Barred

UteChief
03-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Most Adam Sandler and Jim Carey movies.

Buehler445
03-02-2010, 07:00 PM

Pretty much this.

Has not aged well.

HoneyBadger
03-02-2010, 11:29 PM

I never have liked how Jim Carey acts. He exaggerates wayyy to much

KCChiefsMan
03-03-2010, 02:35 AM
there are tons of movies that I thought were awesome 10-15 years ago, then I re-watch it recently and my God it was horrible. Point Break and Armageddon are a couple that come to mind.

Guru
03-03-2010, 03:06 AM
Superman and Superman 2. I loved them as a kid in the 80's. I think they're unwatchable as an adult in the '10s.Oh come on man!!! I will never tire of those two movies.

KCChiefsMan
03-03-2010, 03:08 AM

I disagree

Ace Ventura, Dumb and Dumber, Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore are still pretty damn good IMO.

Demonpenz
03-03-2010, 08:31 AM
I liked spiderman then everyone pounted out how gay it was.

Demonpenz
03-03-2010, 08:33 AM
Some movies get tainted with how the actors have progressed in real life. Like Minority report was awesome, now I like like hey it's tom cruise being tom cruise!

PunkinDrublic
03-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Other than Dogma, everything by Kevin Smith

Yup. I used to love clerks because at the time I worked in a convenience store. Now it's just ok.
Posted via Mobile Device

Frazod
03-03-2010, 10:38 AM
The Perfect Storm comes to mind. When I first saw it, I thought all the things that happened on the doomed boat were based on radio messages or a journal they plucked from wreckage or something like that, but apparently they just made it all up. Had it been about a fictional boat and a fictional crew, that would have been fine, but they took some serious liberties, and the more I thought about it, the more classless and disrespectful it seemed.

Great special effects - having been in a few nasty ocean storms, it takes a lot to impress me - but I doubt if I'll ever watch it again.

Demonpenz
03-03-2010, 11:28 AM
the sixth sense should be in here.

rockymtnchief
03-03-2010, 01:22 PM
'Commando'.

HC_Chief
03-03-2010, 01:27 PM
'Commando'.

What?! Come on, that's the awesomest of the awesome 80s "America, F&^K YEAH!" movies!

It's highly quotable, utterly ridiculous and campy, and Arnold weilds an M-60 machine gun with magical ammo belts: one scene, half a belt, same scene but different cut where he turns to blast more bad guys with piss-poor aims, full belt, then another cut, blasting, almost no rounds remaining, cut yet again to three quarters of a belt. Come on man, that shit is magical.

He kills baddies with tool shed items! Chucking radial saw blades like some badass uberninja... plants a pair of hedge trimmers into some other nameless bad guy who was stupid enough to kidnap "Jenny".... that's straight up Chuck Norris!

I think I need to put that movie in my instant watch queue now....

blaise
03-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Beverly Hills Cop isn't very funny to me now. There's really only a couple of good lines in it.

rockymtnchief
03-03-2010, 01:40 PM
What?! Come on, that's the awesomest of the awesome 80s "America, F&^K YEAH!" movies!

It's highly quotable, utterly ridiculous and campy, and Arnold weilds an M-60 machine gun with magical ammo belts: one scene, half a belt, same scene but different cut where he turns to blast more bad guys with piss-poor aims, full belt, then another cut, blasting, almost no rounds remaining, cut yet again to three quarters of a belt. Come on man, that shit is magical.

He kills baddies with tool shed items! Chucking radial saw blades like some badass uberninja... plants a pair of hedge trimmers into some other nameless bad guy who was stupid enough to kidnap "Jenny".... that's straight up Chuck Norris!

:clap: I guess you've seen it quite a few times?!?!

I loved it as a kid, not so much now. I mean...how can 30 guys shoot autos at Awnold and not hit him. Yet, he hits them all while not aiming, walking out in the open, and never run out of ammo.ROFL

Frazod
03-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Beverly Hills Cop isn't very funny to me now. There's really only a couple of good lines in it.

The first one's still pretty good, IMO. The second one was pointless, though. And the third one was absolutely awful.

Reaper16
03-03-2010, 01:48 PM

Commando rules so hard. All of the Hispanic bad guys, if you listen to their Spanish dialogue, they're actually just saying things like "Taco taco, burrito!" to each other. That movie, for the reasons you mentioned and more, is Reagan-era America.

HC_Chief
03-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Commando is the shit. Not quite Gymkata badass, but very close.

<object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/-gTkUcXGF_Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/-gTkUcXGF_Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object>

HC_Chief
03-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Dude... 50 kills in 3 minutes! That's classic Ahhnold.

<object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/Pxc1CPu9bqI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/Pxc1CPu9bqI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object>

L.A. Chieffan
03-03-2010, 03:33 PM
I love it when he blows up the barracks and you can see cardboard cutouts of the badguys being destroyed. Its up there with Citizen Kane and Godfather in my book

Reaper16
03-03-2010, 04:46 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MaJrMvodSXE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MaJrMvodSXE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Jenson71
03-03-2010, 05:04 PM
I liked spiderman then everyone pounted out how gay it was.

LMAO

SLAG
03-03-2010, 05:27 PM

and

pulp fiction

BigMeatballDave
03-03-2010, 05:31 PM
I remember liking Independence Day when I was 13.You're quite a bit younger than I thought you were.

BigMeatballDave
03-03-2010, 05:32 PM
pulp fictionBlasphemy! I watch this 2-3 times a yr. Still love it.

googlegoogle
03-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Overnight is a delightful little piece of schadenfreude.

have that on dvd. not good huh.

BigMeatballDave
03-03-2010, 05:40 PM
Nothing. Every movie from my childhood is still fucking cream cheese to me. I can't think of a single thing I wouldn't want to watch again.

Guess I'm nuts.Wait til some of those movies are 20-25 yrs old.

BigMeatballDave
03-03-2010, 05:45 PM
heh....Dick Tracy was on TV the other day.....Never liked it to begin with, but its really horrible now.That was a steaming pile from day 1.

Jenson71
03-03-2010, 06:19 PM

and

pulp fiction

Good choices.

And Scarface.