PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Broken 360

RustShack
03-03-2010, 12:34 AM
Wont read disks. Says open tray. Jesus fuck you Microsoft.

QuikSsurfer
03-03-2010, 12:36 AM
Just keep ejecting and closing the tray.. Restart a few times... run an arcade game from your hard drive.. try another game.
If that doesn't work, go buy a PS3 and post a thread about it.

Guru
03-03-2010, 12:45 AM
Just keep ejecting and closing the tray.. Restart a few times... run an arcade game from your hard drive.. try another game.
If that doesn't work, go buy a PS3 and post a thread about it.ROFL

Sorry for your loss dude. Been there.

KCChiefsMan
03-03-2010, 02:33 AM
the ONLY thing you should ever buy an in-store warranty for is the 360. It's $45 for 2 years and I have had to use it 3 times at Best Buy and they have honored it each time. Of course you have to rebuy the warranty each time, but last time I got $100 extra because of the price drop, so it worked out pretty good.

don't ever buy a warranty for anything other than the 360 though.

Lzen
03-03-2010, 07:35 AM
KCChiefsman,
You have to re-buy the warranty after you use it once? That doesn't sound like a very good deal.

Lzen
03-03-2010, 07:36 AM
So, is this the 360s latest thing? The open tray message? The reason I ask is that mine is also doing that and I've heard several other people that have the same issue. I had never really heard much about this particular issue until the last few months.

Demonpenz
03-03-2010, 07:37 AM
if I buy a warranty it better cover anything broken for a year.

HC_Chief
03-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Man, whoever contracted the hardware mnfr to build those devices should be fired. The cost of support and in PR has to be obscene.

Taco John
03-03-2010, 10:00 AM
the ONLY thing you should ever buy an in-store warranty for is the 360. It's $45 for 2 years and I have had to use it 3 times at Best Buy and they have honored it each time. Of course you have to rebuy the warranty each time, but last time I got $100 extra because of the price drop, so it worked out pretty good.

don't ever buy a warranty for anything other than the 360 though.

Always buy the two year warranty on your LCD monitors. You'll thank yourself when you need to use it. It's one of those purchases you wish you didn't have to make, but when the time comes and you get that replacement, you're pretty glad you did it.

HC_Chief
03-03-2010, 10:03 AM
The crazy thing is the units use LiteOn DVD drives. Those are usually pretty darn reliable.

Same thing happened to both of my friend's 360s. To resolve he has to manually push in the carrier. It's as though the device needs to be "reset" as to its track position.

RustShack
03-03-2010, 10:36 AM
it sounds like the disk isn't spinning

HC_Chief
03-03-2010, 01:37 PM
it sounds like the disk isn't spinning

Motor might be dead on the DVD drive.

Otter
03-03-2010, 01:42 PM
PC Gamers get more chicks, have bigger penises and I've never once seen one get a red ring of death.

Mr. Plow
03-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Been seeing this lately on one of my 360's. I just open tray once or twice and it starts to read. I'm sure it will get worse.

While the issues with the 360 are well noted, I wonder how much extra money MS has made off of purchasing of 2nd systems. I know I did it....and if I have any major problems not covered, I'd by another one.

KCChiefsMan
03-03-2010, 03:46 PM
KCChiefsman,
You have to re-buy the warranty after you use it once? That doesn't sound like a very good deal.

I think it is if you want to keep playing your 360. $45 for a new one once every 1 - 2 years. The red rings is inevitable so it's worth it for me.

RustShack
03-03-2010, 03:49 PM
i took it apart and it tries to move but barely does. might need the lube, any recomandations besides ky?
Posted via Mobile Device

Short Leash Hootie
03-03-2010, 04:26 PM
dude...

this happened to me...

you shouldn't have taken it apart, it voids the warranty...I fixed mine but then it RROD 6 months later and I was fucked!

Here's a link on how to fix your problem though since you already took it apart...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgU1lC8k8k&feature=related

RustShack
03-03-2010, 07:44 PM
I bought it for $100 over a year ago.. so I couldn't send it in anyways.

jidar
03-03-2010, 07:48 PM
I had a drive stop reading once and I bought a replacement drive off of ebay.

It's a non-trivial fix though, you have to use piracy tools and techniques to read the decryption key out of the old drive then inject it into the firmware in the new drive. As a bonus when you do it you could mod your drive to play downloaded and burned games... although that's not legal.

I'm just sayin

RustShack
03-03-2010, 07:48 PM
dude...

this happened to me...

you shouldn't have taken it apart, it voids the warranty...I fixed mine but then it RROD 6 months later and I was fucked!

Here's a link on how to fix your problem though since you already took it apart...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgU1lC8k8k&feature=related

Thats not my problem.. the washer is in place

HC_Chief
03-03-2010, 09:22 PM
I had a drive stop reading once and I bought a replacement drive off of ebay.

It's a non-trivial fix though, you have to use piracy tools and techniques to read the decryption key out of the old drive then inject it into the firmware in the new drive. As a bonus when you do it you could mod your drive to play downloaded and burned games... although that's not legal.

I'm just sayin

Do NOT do this! You could receive the banhammer. If that happens, that device will no longer connect to Live.

Sucks you popped the case.... warranty voided.

RustShack
03-03-2010, 09:48 PM
FIXED IT !

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-03-2010, 11:15 PM
Wont read disks. Says open tray. Jesus fuck you Microsoft.

I just got mine back from M$ for the same problem.

My condolences.

Lzen
03-04-2010, 09:04 AM
I think it is if you want to keep playing your 360. $45 for a new one once every 1 - 2 years. The red rings is inevitable so it's worth it for me.

Do you realize that MS warranties for the RROD for 3 years? No need to buy BBs warranty on top of that if that's all you're worried about.

HC_Chief
03-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Do you realize that MS warranties for the RROD for 3 years? No need to buy BBs warranty on top of that if that's all you're worried about.

True, but if you buy the BB warranty you can take it in and swap it that day, no questions asked. If you have to ship it to M$ for servicing, it may be gone for two weeks. Matter of convenience.

My bet is the next gen will not suffer from these issues. The cost for repairs must be astronomical. Better to spend a little more in manufacturing than to spend a lot later in man hours, parts, and PR hit. Lesson learned.

Lzen
03-04-2010, 12:13 PM
True, but if you buy the BB warranty you can take it in and swap it that day, no questions asked. If you have to ship it to M$ for servicing, it may be gone for two weeks. Matter of convenience.

My bet is the next gen will not suffer from these issues. The cost for repairs must be astronomical. Better to spend a little more in manufacturing than to spend a lot later in man hours, parts, and PR hit. Lesson learned.

Good point. I would rather send it in and wait a week(last one I sent was exactly 1 week from the time I called them until I got it back) or two than pay the extra. But I can understand if some people want to pay for that convenience.

The thing I don't understand is that they never send back the same 360 that I sent to them (serial #, MAC address are always different). So, that means that they are sending back ones that have already been repaired. However, I still end up sending it back to them after that one breaks down a few months later and they have to repair it once again. Why not just fix it right? Surely that would cost them less in the long run.

bowener
03-04-2010, 12:18 PM
FIXED IT !

Do tell.

stormtrooper
03-04-2010, 12:20 PM
call microsoft. they may have you send it them for free

RustShack
03-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Do tell.

I took apart the disk drive and tried doing it that way. The disk tried to move but wouldn't. I broke the magnet off the inside of the cover and stick it on the disk and tried starting it up again. It tried moving and I helped it and it loaded the game. I shut if off and turned it back on a few times and it started right up each time. So I stuck the magnet back where it belonged and put it back together and haven't had a problem since.

Guru
03-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Good point. I would rather send it in and wait a week(last one I sent was exactly 1 week from the time I called them until I got it back) or two than pay the extra. But I can understand if some people want to pay for that convenience.

The thing I don't understand is that they never send back the same 360 that I sent to them (serial #, MAC address are always different). So, that means that they are sending back ones that have already been repaired. However, I still end up sending it back to them after that one breaks down a few months later and they have to repair it once again. Why not just fix it right? Surely that would cost them less in the long run.How do you think they manage to get them back to you within a week? When yours gets there they just throw a repaired one back in your box and send it back. Makes them look good because of the speed.

KcMizzou
03-04-2010, 10:20 PM
My bet is the next gen will not suffer from these issues. The cost for repairs must be astronomical. Better to spend a little more in manufacturing than to spend a lot later in man hours, parts, and PR hit. Lesson learned.Absolutely agree.