PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Let me hear your home printer suggestions

Duck Dog
03-04-2010, 01:38 PM
I need a new home printer. Here is what I am looking for.

Printer, scanner, copier with good photo quality.

Wireless and FAX are not needed.

Any suggestions? What resolutions?

MOhillbilly
03-04-2010, 01:42 PM
I need a new home printer. Here is what I am looking for.

Printer, scanner, copier with good photo quality.

Wireless and FAX are not needed.

Any suggestions? What resolutions?

how much you lookin to spend? Average copy count per month B/W & Color? I can give you a rundown on anything canon.

Duck Dog
03-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Needs to be colored. Copy count will vary but roughly 80-90 pages per month. Looking to spend less than $150.

MOhillbilly
03-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Needs to be colored. Copy count will vary but roughly 80-90 pages per month. Looking to spend less than $150.
straight dope.

At that price buy any piece of shit off the shelf at walmart and 1) prepare for it to breakdown in o/u a year 2)expect the warranty to be useless 3)expect to get raped multiple times on print cart. 4) expext the inshop to get it fixed to nearly be the org. purchase price.

not bein a dick i do this for a living.

tymania
03-04-2010, 01:59 PM
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/store_access.do?template_type=storefronts&landing=printer&category=Photosmart&aoid=51323&keyword=hp%20photosmart&tafcjnef=fy10&DS_KWID=p101739500

Bane
03-04-2010, 02:05 PM
We have a Cannon Pixma 887 all in one and it has been great for us.It's wireless and and prints very fast and has great quality.I think she got it at office max for $199 and it had a mail in rebate for $50.

blaise
03-04-2010, 02:18 PM
I use an HP Officejet 6500. It seems to work fine. No problems, good quality. I probably print 10-30 pages a day with it (usually around 10). I'm not much of a comparison shopper, though. I looked at reviews of a few and then just bought this one at Best Buy.

kepp
03-04-2010, 02:28 PM
We used to have an HP and now have a Canon Pixma model and the Canon is way better than the HP was.

Guru
03-04-2010, 05:02 PM
I have a Kodak ESP7 I am looking for a buyer on. Retails for $150. Hardly used.
Half price?

sd4chiefs
03-04-2010, 05:14 PM
We used to have an HP and now have a Canon Pixma model and the Canon is way better than the HP was.

I spent about $200 for an HP that went threw ink cartriges like crazy. It quit working like 1 day after the warranty ran out. I then got a Cannon 860 all in one for $70 at Fry's. It works great.

NewChief
03-04-2010, 07:57 PM
I spent about $200 for an HP that went threw ink cartriges like crazy. It quit working like 1 day after the warranty ran out. I then got a Cannon 860 all in one for $70 at Fry's. It works great.

No shit. We have an HP c86, and we go through cartridges like crazy. at around $70 a pop, it's nuts. Of course, my wife's company reimburses them for us, but it's insane how often we have to replace them. Of course, that's because her company does stupid stuff like make her print out an entire release of art (500 full color pages) to bring to meetings when her printer is entirely unsuitable for that large of a print run.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-04-2010, 08:48 PM
HP...use them exclusively at work and home and have for years. Best on the market. Brother, Lexmark, and Epson are trash. Canon makes good photo printers.

Guru
03-04-2010, 08:59 PM
HP...use them exclusively at work and home and have for years. Best on the market. Brother, Lexmark, and Epson are trash. Canon makes good photo printers.Disagree with you on Brother. We have had ZERO problems with ours and love it. Hence why we are getting rid of the Kodak. Nothing wrong with it. The Brother is just better.

DMAC
03-04-2010, 09:05 PM
I have a Kodak ESP7 I am looking for a buyer on. Retails for $150. Hardly used.
Half price?

I have that. If you are gonna get one of these and use the wifi function, check if your router is compatible with it. This thing does not work with MANY routers. Including my dlink. Stupid...

mikeyis4dcats.
03-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Disagree with you on Brother. We have had ZERO problems with ours and love it. Hence why we are getting rid of the Kodak. Nothing wrong with it. The Brother is just better.

My parents are on their THIRD Brother MFC. Warranty replacements, and they finally decided that when it craps out this time they are giving up.

Guru
03-04-2010, 09:51 PM
My parents are on their THIRD Brother MFC. Warranty replacements, and they finally decided that when it craps out this time they are giving up.Wow! That sucks. I guess no printer is perfect. So far we are doing well with ours though. Been about 9 months since we got it and still on the same ink and the wireless connection has never dropped.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Wow! That sucks. I guess no printer is perfect. So far we are doing well with ours though. Been about 9 months since we got it and still on the same ink and the wireless connection has never dropped.

yeah, there's is just plain old MFC, not even wireless. The paper feeder keeps crapping out.

MOhillbilly
03-05-2010, 10:48 AM

the resolution you get w/ canon is far better than you will get with other brands. It also causes problems w/ printheads....