PDA

View Full Version : Video Games MLB10: The Show

Kraus
03-08-2010, 02:33 PM
I got to play it for the first time today. It was the first next-gen baseball game I've played.

Started with the Royals. I've got pitching down but I suck at batting.

Anybody else get to play yet?

Sure-Oz
03-08-2010, 02:37 PM
I own it and suck at it....

im ok at pitching, hitting is another story...

Im the Royals and my record is 2-2 right now. I had a walkoff 2 run HR to win 1 game and won another game thanks to ankiels triple and a hr and 3 rbis....im still adjusting to the controls. Timing seems to be everything

Kraus
03-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Last MLB:The Show game I played was 06 or 07, and when you guessed the pitch and location it showed you where the pitch would be. Does it not do that anymore?

Sure-Oz
03-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Last MLB:The Show game I played was 06 or 07, and when you guessed the pitch and location it showed you where the pitch would be. Does it not do that anymore?

I have no idea, i must be guessing wrong all the time, but ive hardly used that feature.

I have no clue what im doing in that game

KCFalcon59
03-08-2010, 02:56 PM
I own it and suck at it....

im ok at pitching, hitting is another story...

Im the Royals and my record is 2-2 right now. I had a walkoff 2 run HR to win 1 game and won another game thanks to ankiels triple and a hr and 3 rbis....im still adjusting to the controls. Timing seems to be everything

Same here. The hitting is killing me. Just can't seem to get the timing right. Played a 16 inning game the other day. Lost 4-3. :cuss:

I've noticed a few screwy things so far. One was that it wouldn't report stats correctly. Hit a HR with Guillen and it showed that Ankiel hit it. Not a big deal, but cmon.

The other is when I field a ball in the outfield and I throw to third or second, sometimes it throws home. I know I hit the right button, but it didn't go where I wanted it to go. :cuss:

Still, I think as I get better at hitting i will enjoy it more.

KCFalcon59
03-08-2010, 02:59 PM

I don't think it does. It does signal by flashing the strike zone as red if you guess the pitch correctly. Not sure about location though.

CoMoChief
No baseball game is better than the EA Sports MVP baseball games (except the college one).

Kraus
I thought it was cool they incorporated the fans putting up K's in the stadium when Greinke gets strikeouts. I managed to get 9 K's in 7 IP. Ended up winning 4-3 thanks to a 2-run homer by DeJesus.

Kraus
03-08-2010, 03:01 PM
I don't think it does. It does signal by flashing the strike zone as red if you guess the pitch correctly. Not sure about location though.

It appears if you get the pitch and location it'll do that then start rumbling like crazy. I get excited when I guess a low fastball and get all ready to hit it out of the park and then when I swing it is in the dirt and I look like an idiot. I'll have to mess with it some more.

Kraus
03-08-2010, 03:03 PM
No baseball game is better than the EA Sports MVP baseball games (except the college one).

And there is no football game better than ESPN NFL 2K5. But neither of these franchises have been able to put out a game since the MLB and NFL signed exclusive contracts.

Sure-Oz
03-08-2010, 03:07 PM
It appears if you get the pitch and location it'll do that then start rumbling like crazy. I get excited when I guess a low fastball and get all ready to hit it out of the park and then when I swing it is in the dirt and I look like an idiot. I'll have to mess with it some more.

The crazy thing is that you have to work a count like a real player, game takes forever to end

great graphics etc, almost too realistic and if you swing at the 1st pitch it seems you never get a hit

KCFalcon59
03-08-2010, 03:12 PM
The crazy thing is that you have to work a count like a real player, game takes forever to end

great graphics etc, almost too realistic and if you swing at the 1st pitch it seems you never get a hit

I am a hacker. I can hardly control myself from swinging at every pitch. lol

I haven't put it on fast play, but is that supposed to limit all the transitions? I've seen sometimes 4 or more between batters. I don't want the game to last 2 hours when it could easily be a lot less.

Sure-Oz
03-08-2010, 03:15 PM
I am a hacker. I can hardly control myself from swinging at every pitch. lol

I haven't put it on fast play, but is that supposed to limit all the transitions? I've seen sometimes 4 or more between batters. I don't want the game to last 2 hours when it could easily be a lot less.

Definetly make it go on 'faster' mode. I take pitches like crazy but i do get anxtious. I have a total of 2 walks, both by betancourtROFL

CoMoChief
03-08-2010, 03:16 PM
And there is no football game better than ESPN NFL 2K5. But neither of these franchises have been able to put out a game since the MLB and NFL signed exclusive contracts.

I will agree Madden is crap, and has been crap since the Next Gen games have come out. I like the older style game play alot better.

I play the NCAA college game.....much more fun than Madden IMO.

KC native
03-08-2010, 03:19 PM
I played the 09 show version and couldn't get the hitting down. Seems like this one is the same. Guess I will try the 2k version.

Sure-Oz
03-08-2010, 03:26 PM
I played the 09 show version and couldn't get the hitting down. Seems like this one is the same. Guess I will try the 2k version.

i heard that game is definetly inferior but easier to play....i'd rather just learn the hitting part. I went 4 for 5 with brian freakin anderson, it can be done

Kraus
03-08-2010, 03:28 PM
i heard that game is definetly inferior but easier to play....i'd rather just learn the hitting part. I went 4 for 5 with brian freakin anderson, it can be done

My first game I went 4 for 4 with Gordon, 3 singles and a double. Not quite sure how I did it though.

KC native
03-08-2010, 03:31 PM

I hadn't looked too much into them. Inferior in what way? If it's just graphics then that's expected bc the 2k teams focus on game play as opposed to the most polished pretty game.

Sure-Oz
03-08-2010, 03:43 PM
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/majorleaguebaseball2k10

here is an overall rating of 73 from metacritic.

It seems to have the core basics down, but lacks features and graphics of course.

ChiefsFan4Life
03-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Best game ever - the Show never disappoints

Highly configurable - you can make it flash/not flash/not rumble to your liking

KCFalcon59
03-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Finally had a good hitting game. Tried to not swing at everything. I beat the Rockies with 3 home runs, a couple triples, 9-3. Meche got the win. Actually had fun finally. lol

Sure-Oz
03-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Finally had a good hitting game. Tried to not swing at everything. I beat the Rockies with 3 home runs, a couple triples, 9-3. Meche got the win. Actually had fun finally. lol

Yeah, just work on the patience that is the key. I am pretty good at running up a pitch count, but in the end i tend to hit a grounder or flyout. I still rarely walk

Sure-Oz
03-08-2010, 11:14 PM
So i have 6 hitless innings then meche gives up a grandslam in the 7th, i lose 9-3 to the sox, FML

Next game i bounce back and win 5-1 against detroit after a nice pinch hit 2 run double by ankiel. My best hitter, hitting .481 so far lol...
Hochevar goes 7 ip and 1 er 7ks

thurman merman
03-08-2010, 11:53 PM
I've got pitching down but I suck at batting.

I think this is the case for just about everybody. Most games that I play are about 3-2 (against the computer or against real people).

I actually got no hits against my friend yesterday. First time ever that I have had no hits, and first time ever that he has thrown a no-hitter. Embarrassing.

Priest31kc
03-09-2010, 12:01 AM
I think this is the case for just about everybody. Most games that I play are about 3-2 (against the computer or against real people).

I actually got no hits against my friend yesterday. First time ever that I have had no hits, and first time ever that he has thrown a no-hitter. Embarrassing.

Yeah I bought The Show 08 & 09 & was just awful hitting. I got bored with the game in like 2 months because every game I played was like 2-1 or 1-0....Everything else about the game is great, but they have GOT to improve the hitting system, & it seems they failed to do so again this year. I havent bought it yet, & I dont think I will now, think Ill give 2k a shot.

ChiefsFan4Life
03-09-2010, 05:37 AM
The game is very realistic as is hitting. They are simulating as close as possible how it is to hit in real life. Therefore, if you go up there swinging or not being patient, you will have a hard time hitting. Also, if you try hitting for power all the time that won't work well either. Using well time hit and runs helps a lot too. Just thinking about what you see going on in real life and try to implement it in the game. Even if you guess the pitch right and they show you that it will be a strike (if you have that feature on) don't swing just because it's a strike if it's real low or low and outside - all you are going to do is hit a ground out. Be selective. Definitely makes the game take a while but that's just the nature of baseball, lol

Sure-Oz
03-09-2010, 09:31 AM
The game is getting more fun for me, i just hope i get better at hitting...i think my timing is getting better. I suggest alot of practice. Ankiel owns lol

thurman merman
03-09-2010, 04:56 PM
The game is very realistic as is hitting. They are simulating as close as possible how it is to hit in real life. Therefore, if you go up there swinging or not being patient, you will have a hard time hitting. Also, if you try hitting for power all the time that won't work well either. Using well time hit and runs helps a lot too. Just thinking about what you see going on in real life and try to implement it in the game. Even if you guess the pitch right and they show you that it will be a strike (if you have that feature on) don't swing just because it's a strike if it's real low or low and outside - all you are going to do is hit a ground out. Be selective. Definitely makes the game take a while but that's just the nature of baseball, lol

Exactly...the hitting on the game doesn't suck, we just suck at it cause we swing at every single pitch.

Sure-Oz
03-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Exactly...the hitting on the game doesn't suck, we just suck at it cause we swing at every single pitch.

I don't anymore, im getting really good at picking up the pitches but my timing is still a work in progress. It's either that or the royals players really suck.

Pasta Giant Meatball
03-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Yeah I bought The Show 08 & 09 & was just awful hitting. I got bored with the game in like 2 months because every game I played was like 2-1 or 1-0....Everything else about the game is great, but they have GOT to improve the hitting system, & it seems they failed to do so again this year. I havent bought it yet, & I dont think I will now, think Ill give 2k a shot.

No way!!! The game is awesome the way it is. The hitting aspect is very realistic. If you play with a shit team, you are going to struggle to score runs, but with the better hitters you can do some damage.

Kraus
03-09-2010, 05:32 PM
I've only played 2 games so far. Can't wait to play more.

GoTrav
03-09-2010, 07:08 PM
I got to play it for the first time today. It was the first next-gen baseball game I've played.

Started with the Royals. I've got pitching down but I suck at batting.

Anybody else get to play yet?

batting has always been a bitch on it. First year I haven't picked it up after reading about some of it's issues like the online lag, people disconnecting when losing online, intentional walks causing the game to crash. Love the game. They really need a RTTS import option cause trying to get through a full career for me is next to impossible. I usually don't play much of the game outside of the RTTS mode but get suckered into buying the new game each year.

GoTrav
03-09-2010, 07:13 PM

you can still guess the pitch and location...I wouldn't try that starting out. Just try to make contact. It's even worse if you start a positional player in RTTS. Those guys start off with some dog ass hitting stats. I'm sure I went 0-60 starting off my 2nd baseman's career. It's brutal. You may look at adjusting some sliders.

Sure-Oz
03-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Just played my best hitting game and pitching game...(strikeout wise)

Won 9-7 against the tigers. Had 19 hits in the game...I shelled Bonderman for 3.1 ip 6er, the last time he pitched against me he had 7 ip 1 er and 3 hits given up, ive gotten better 5 games later

Pitching I did well except for 4 HR's given up, 3 by Bannister and 1 by Chen. I did have 14ks though with my pitchers. Banny 5ip 5 er (3 hrs ****) and 7k Chen 1ip 2er 3k's Farnsy 2ip 3k and Soria 1ip 1k and the Save

I am definetly getting better at making contact, and well the shitty pitchers tend to get nailed even if they start well. I am now 4-4 and Ankiel has hit in every game and this game betancourt had a 3 hit game including a triple, had a triple with fields. I suggest practice with the batting cage, my eye has definetly gotten a ton better and I guess sometimes on pitches, mainly the relievers. This is a badass game if you give it a chance, period.

My overall profile record is 4-6 now and I am batting .304 .335 obp and a 410 slg % (def. not much power on the royals) overall in 349 total ab's. Pitching 90ip 80hits 87ks 35 walks. Not too shabby...i started horrid the first few games, the last 2 ive been hitting and pitching a ton better.

thurman merman
03-09-2010, 11:37 PM
I don't anymore, im getting really good at picking up the pitches but my timing is still a work in progress. It's either that or the royals players really suck.

Yes, the Royals players really suck. As I mentioned before, I got no hits against my friend the other day while using the Royals. We played a rematch with new teams, and I got 7 runs and 13 hits or something with the Phillies.

Tylerthigpen!1!
03-09-2010, 11:45 PM
How does free agency work?

Sure-Oz
03-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Yes, the Royals players really suck. As I mentioned before, I got no hits against my friend the other day while using the Royals. We played a rematch with new teams, and I got 7 runs and 13 hits or something with the Phillies.

Yes, they do suck balls....after my breakout game the next game i lose 3-1 and had just 7 hits...

No power at all either, Ankiel is my 'power' guy and he it's cause he hes batting over .400 and has a .700 slg %

Buck
03-10-2010, 12:45 AM
Just picked up the game and did fantasy draft. 75 rounds. Ugh.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buck
03-10-2010, 02:06 AM
God damn hitting FFfFFFfFFuUUUUU

GoTrav
03-10-2010, 05:16 PM
I went ahead and picked this up today, lets see how bad I suck at hitting.

Sure-Oz
03-14-2010, 03:46 AM
Now I am 9-9 with the royals and have won 5 in a row. I had my first 2 HR game with Josh Fields who pretty much is going to supplant gordan at 3b. Fields is hitting over .350 for me and has 5 hrs and 15 rbis to lead the team. He started playing the 4th game of the season at DH for me since Guillen was out with a hammy lol. My hitting is 2nd best in the league, Yankees are first hitting .320 overall and im hitting .315. Power #'s are finally coming and ive got the hitting down the last 5 games. Scored over 10 run 4 out of the last 5 games. Pitching, def. harder with crappy guys like hochevar and davies but still get a decent start. I am loving this game, esp now that ive got the timing down pretty well. Both of fields HR's were on low pitches, i was surprised he got it.

Sure-Oz
03-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Anyone else get the game figured out? I am definetly better at hitting adn pitching and now have led the royals to 7 straight wins. leading the league in avg at .340 now...hope everyone else is enjoying the game, i definetly am now that ive figured out how to hit well consistently

Kraus
03-15-2010, 11:01 PM
I haven't been able to play for awhile, too many games to play right now.

Buck
03-16-2010, 03:55 AM
Kraus what's you psnid?
Posted via Mobile Device

Kraus
03-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Kraus what's you psnid?
Posted via Mobile Device

Kraus989

TinyEvel
03-17-2010, 12:16 AM
Holy sh!t!!!
I just played this game on a 3-D 46" Bravia TV. Completely sick! The depth from behind the plate when you're at bat is awesome!

Pitt Gorilla
03-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Holy sh!t!!!
I just played this game on a 3-D 46" Bravia TV. Completely sick! The depth from behind the plate when you're at bat is awesome!Hey, TinyE. Befriend me! I sent a request a few days ago to you and Rausch. I'm the professor.

blazzin311
03-17-2010, 01:29 PM

Agreed...though overall besides the hitting aspect of the game I do prefer The Show compared to the 2k version.

Sure-Oz
03-17-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm hitting over .340 as a team in veteran mode....it takes practice, i just have the 'eye' for it now. Also i find just hitting to contact seems to be better than guessing a pitch

It took about 12 games to figure it out for me, i was hitting barely over .200 through 8 games

KCFalcon59
03-17-2010, 01:52 PM
I still swing at too many pitches. But I am slowing getting the hitting down. Now I pitch pretty well. Have had some low scoring extra inning games. Grienke pitched me a 12 inning shutout. That was sweet. Though my other pitchers throw wildly at times. I had a 4 pitch walk yesterday and I threw 4 fb right down the middle. None went over the plate. lol

Sure-Oz
03-17-2010, 01:55 PM
I still swing at too many pitches. But I am slowing getting the hitting down. Now I pitch pretty well. Have had some low scoring extra inning games. Grienke pitched me a 12 inning shutout. That was sweet. Though my other pitchers throw wildly at times. I had a 4 pitch walk yesterday and I threw 4 fb right down the middle. None went over the plate. lol

That tends to happen at times. I had a cg shutout with meche but then the next game he couldnt throw a dang strike lol....

My best relieveer is farnsworth its great (besides soria)

kcfanXIII
03-17-2010, 02:12 PM
i've played past versions of both the show, and 2k, and in my opinion they are both great franchises. hell, i don't have a next gen system and i'm still playing 2k5 on the xbox. my friend got 2k9 for the wii last year, and that was a lot of fun. we played at least 3 seasons. full seasons too, not a shortened season or anything.

thurman merman
03-25-2010, 04:06 PM
I am really starting to like this game a lot. I am trying to be more patient at the plate and I am starting to hit a lot better now.

Sure-Oz
03-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Yes, the patience and eye catch on if you play more. I'm batting .340 as a team, and am 21-11 with the royals. not bad considering i started 4-9

Kraus
04-01-2010, 12:50 PM
I hit an inside-the-park homerun last night with Posednik. I'm also batting a little better. I use the veteran hitting difficulty.