PDA

View Full Version : Music Crystal Bowersox on American Idol

T-post Tom
03-09-2010, 11:18 PM
WOW! Just WOW! That is true talent.

The video below is from last week. This week was even better but the video hasn't posted yet.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MSEyOa-cmko&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MSEyOa-cmko&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

T-post Tom
03-10-2010, 02:58 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v3Ehe03DEn8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v3Ehe03DEn8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Bane
03-10-2010, 06:23 AM
I'm just not feeling it.I haven't really watched since the year Daughtry was on,but it sounds to me like she should go back to the subway.

Fritz88
03-10-2010, 06:44 AM
Kara DioGuardi is ugly as shit.

Fritz88
03-10-2010, 06:45 AM
She's talented but she ani't ganna make it.

BigRedChief
03-10-2010, 07:17 AM
I watched her clip here and she has "it" whatever that intangible is that makes a star a star, she has it. Not really my cup of tea in music but I can still appreciate the talent.

The Rick
03-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Yeah, Crystal's pretty good. I think she'll definitely be in the top 3.

As for this year in general, the girls interest me more than the guys. None of the guys stand out to me at all, whereas there's 3-4 girls who stand out (Crystal, Lilly, and Siobahn for sure).

I hope Siobahn sticks around for a while. I don't necessarily think she's the best, but she just intrigues me. During the interviews and clips, she just seems mentally handicapped or something. Then, however, she starts singing and she's like a completely different person.

DMAC
03-10-2010, 09:49 AM
This show is dead.

jspchief
03-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Crystal is great, and she knows how to pick songs (something the judges harp on).

But I wonder how she'll do when she's forced into "Lionel Ritchie Week" or whatever other stupid theme they come up with to force people to sing stuff that isn't their strength, only to trash them for not being able to pull it off.

Pestilence
03-10-2010, 10:27 AM
I'd hit it.

beach tribe
03-10-2010, 11:39 AM
I'd hit it.

"Gap teeth in ya mouth so my dick's got ta fit"

DaneMcCloud
03-10-2010, 12:03 PM
I'd hit it.

Bring extra insulin

Pestilence
03-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Bring extra insulin

Oh....she'll need it after I'm done.

Molitoth
03-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Siobahn is my favorite. She's really hot, has an amazing voice, and she has great taste in music. Last night's performance of "House of the Rising Sun" was absolutely phenominal. It struck a nerve with me and had me ready for tears. (although my dead father used to play this song for me when I was a kid so I've always loved it). She is different than the rest of the competetors, and stands out to me.

Crystal is hands down the best singer of the bunch. She is confident and knows she is the best and it shows. As a singer, one of the biggest factors of being successful is knowing Who you are, and what style suits you best. Crystal knows her style and sticks with it. She has it mastered.
Her downfall will be her looks. If they gave her a makeover, she will for sure win. If she DOES win it all, I gaurentee you they fix her teeth, get rid of the piercing, cut her dreads, and dye her hair. She would then be semi-hot and much more marketable.

Molitoth
03-10-2010, 12:31 PM
"Gap teeth in ya mouth so my dick's got ta fit"

Hah I always use this line when I'm bowling and get a 7/10 split.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Siobahn is my favorite. She's really hot, has an amazing voice, and she has great taste in music. Last night's performance of "House of the Rising Sun" was absolutely phenominal. It struck a nerve with me and had me ready for tears. (although my dead father used to play this song for me when I was a kid so I've always loved it). She is different than the rest of the competetors, and stands out to me.

Crystal is hands down the best singer of the bunch. She is confident and knows she is the best and it shows. As a singer, one of the biggest factors of being successful is knowing Who you are, and what style suits you best. Crystal knows her style and sticks with it. She has it mastered.
Her downfall will be her looks. If they gave her a makeover, she will for sure win. If she DOES win it all, I gaurentee you they fix her teeth, get rid of the piercing, cut her dreads, and dye her hair. She would then be semi-hot and much more marketable.

couldn't agree more

KCChiefsMan
03-10-2010, 07:21 PM
LAME

you can go to any town and go to a church and find good singers. To me, music isn't just about your vocal ability but mostly in your ability to write music.

the show is idiotic IMO

mikeyis4dcats.
03-10-2010, 09:24 PM
LAME

you can go to any town and go to a church and find good singers. To me, music isn't just about your vocal ability but mostly in your ability to write music.

the show is idiotic IMO

and yet many of the worlds most sought after musicians don't write their own music (and in many cases ANY music)

And you're assuming they can't write music...maybe they can.

GoTrav
03-11-2010, 12:14 AM
her teeth are really yella, at least in HD

Taco John
03-11-2010, 01:00 AM
That girl is talented. Not my musical cup of tea, but damn.

KCChiefsMan
03-11-2010, 03:57 AM
and yet many of the worlds most sought after musicians don't write their own music (and in many cases ANY music)

And you're assuming they can't write music...maybe they can.

my point is that it's not impressive to sing someone else's song. You don't even need to be a great vocalist to be a great musician. The most sought after musicians don't write their own music, well who are they? Most of the rock bands from this decade suck ass.

Bane
03-11-2010, 07:09 AM
I stayed in Memphis for a week last year and heard better singers outside of subway....Idol has lost it burst.

Molitoth
03-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Their is a difference between good song writers and good singers.

American Idol is trying to find the best Voice, so they can stamp their ideals on to the person and market the hell out of them to make a lot of money.

They are NOT trying to find the best songwriter. If they were, then they would be scouting local Progressive Metal bands because that style is very flux, with very difficult sigs, structure, and complexity. In other words, it takes some serious time, effort, and ability to write those songs. Although the vast majority of listeners cannot calculate/comprehend this style, so America tends to market generic radio rock, or indie bands that are simple to grasp.

So yes, you are correct somewhat. But that doesn't mean the folks on idol don't have great voices.

Jenson71
03-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Yo, dawg, I just ain' feeling it, yo.

The Rick
03-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Couple of shockers last night...

listopencil
03-12-2010, 05:35 PM
I love her voice. Siobhan too.

BigCatDaddy
05-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Finals tonight! I think Lee wins it because he has been getting better each week and is the fresher face. It's tough to be the favorite from the get go and maintain the support for so many weeks, aka Adam Lambert.

Omaha
05-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Kara DioGuardi is ugly as shit.

See, I think she just looks like she needs to take a sh!t.

T-post Tom
05-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Finals tonight! I think Lee wins it because he has been getting better each week and is the fresher face. It's tough to be the favorite from the get go and maintain the support for so many weeks, aka Adam Lambert.

I agree with you that Lee seemed to have the momentum after the last couple of weeks. But Crystal blew the roof off tonight and should win based on tonight's performances. Then again, Lee probably has the teeny-bopper demographic locked up, so who knows? Crystal certainly has the chops to put out some great work. Can't wait to see what she does in the studio.

RedNFeisty
05-26-2010, 08:31 PM
I have loved Mamma Sox, since her first audition!! Then again, she sings my kind of music!!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TSL_g0s9Hi8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TSL_g0s9Hi8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TSL_g0s9Hi8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TSL_g0s9Hi8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

RedNFeisty
05-26-2010, 08:32 PM

I like Lee, (love Adam), but Crystal is taking this one home!!

RedNFeisty
05-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Call me a dork, but I am liking tonight's show.

NewChief
05-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Call me a dork, but I am liking tonight's show.

Not digging. Paula was painfully awkward. Hall and Oates, yuck. Michael McDonald is nothing but a punchline from 40yo Virgin any longer. The ****ing Bee Gees? Good grief.

The Bret Michaels thing was kind of cool, if only because we were being asked to pray for him by Tommykat on here like 5 days ago. ROFL

Alanis Morisette can sing, and that bit was good. Christina was good, but her look was a blatant nod to the ascendance of GaGa.

This season has sucked, though, so I didn't expect much.

NewChief
05-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Alright damnit... don't be mixing my sincere loves (Sufjan Stevens) with my guilty and ironic pleasures (American Idols). It's confusing.

NewChief
05-26-2010, 08:55 PM
Poor Joe Cocker.

arrowheadnation
05-26-2010, 08:56 PM
All of this homage to a guy that's ultimately going to cause the end of Idol with the Xfactor.

RedNFeisty
05-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Not digging. Paula was painfully awkward. Hall and Oates, yuck. Michael McDonald is nothing but a punchline from 40yo Virgin any longer. The ****ing Bee Gees? Good grief.

The Bret Michaels thing was kind of cool, if only because we were being asked to pray for him by Tommykat on here like 5 days ago. ROFL

Alanis Morisette can sing, and that bit was good. Christina was good, but her look was a blatant nod to the ascendance of GaGa.

This season has sucked, though, so I didn't expect much.
Well, :p on you, Mr. Sour Pants!!! I don't watch the show for it's stellar production. I watch it for it's mindless entertainment...lol..the same reason I watch most television.

NewChief
05-26-2010, 09:02 PM
Well, :p on you, Mr. Sour Pants!!! I don't watch the show for it's stellar production. I watch it for it's mindless entertainment...lol..the same reason I watch most television.

Oh, I know it. It was just weird, though. I mean... I was certainly entertained, but in a "OMG, WTF were they thinking?" sort of way. The Janet Jackson thing was also weird. There was no explanation or introduction or anything really. All of a sudden, JJ was up on stage and singing.

RedNFeisty
05-26-2010, 09:06 PM
Oh, I know it. It was just weird, though. I mean... I was certainly entertained, but in a "OMG, WTF were they thinking?" sort of way. The Janet Jackson thing was also weird. There was no explanation or introduction or anything really. All of a sudden, JJ was up on stage and singing.

I liked seeing the contestants singing, then seeing the original people on stage, cheesy kind of cool. I am waiting for a final show that left me the way Fantasia did, that was the best finale ever.

NewChief
05-26-2010, 09:10 PM
I liked seeing the contestants singing, then seeing the original people on stage, cheesy kind of cool. I am waiting for a final show that left me the way Fantasia did, that was the best finale ever.

It -is- cool to see who they bring out. The Bret Michaels thing really was cool (once again, because a thread on CP made me think he was almost ****ing dead). When he walked out, I yelled out, "Woah! Bret ****ing Michaels! Holy Shit." and my wife looked at me like I had gone insane. She couldn't figure out why I was so excited, then I had to tell her about the thread.

Speaking from experience, the humor of the Planet doesn't really translate well to real life... especially when trying to explain it to a significant other.

RedNFeisty
05-26-2010, 09:23 PM
It -is- cool to see who they bring out. The Bret Michaels thing really was cool (once again, because a thread on CP made me think he was almost ****ing dead). When he walked out, I yelled out, "Woah! Bret ****ing Michaels! Holy Shit." and my wife looked at me like I had gone insane. She couldn't figure out why I was so excited, then I had to tell her about the thread.

Speaking from experience, the humor of the Planet doesn't really translate well to real life... especially when trying to explain it to a significant other.

ROFL I didn't get to see Micheals walk out, but when I came into the room, I said "holy shit, there's Brett Micheals", my son looked at me like I was crazy and said "so!"

Sometimes things happen, and I have to laugh because it makes me think of something on CP, but when explaining it, it is always a "you had to of been there", it is lost on them...I get a "huh?" LMAO

T-post Tom
05-26-2010, 09:50 PM
The show tonight was disjointed but entertaining. Simon's departure overshadowed the 2 finalists, but I enjoyed the quirky vibe. They had some missed opportunities. Would have been interesting to have Taylor Hicks performing with Joe Cocker, for example. But overall, it was a fun two hours.

listopencil
05-26-2010, 10:58 PM
I just got to the end of the first hour out here on the West Coast. Nice pairing of Bowersox and Alanis Morisette.

listopencil
05-26-2010, 11:08 PM
HOLY SHIT BRET MICHAELS!

listopencil
05-26-2010, 11:18 PM
By the way, when I said,"Hey...Bret Micheals!" just now my daughter said "Oh! Uh, cool. Yeah." She's very kind.

RedNFeisty
05-26-2010, 11:22 PM
I just got to the end of the first hour out here on the West Coast. Nice pairing of Bowersox and Alanis Morisette.

I thought so too!

I was a little disappointed in the song they gave Crystal to record if she won (the song she sung last night). I think Crystal has a lot more talent then that song requires.

RedNFeisty
05-26-2010, 11:25 PM
HOLY SHIT BRET MICHAELS!

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

I hope you haven't read this thread....if you haven't, don't, it will spoil it for you.

listopencil
05-26-2010, 11:26 PM
I thought so too!

I was a little disappointed in the song they gave Crystal to record if she won (the song she sung last night). I think Crystal has a lot more talent then that song requires.

Yeah, true. I love hearing her sing more of the bluesy stuff. She has the voice for it. But that was more of her sweet, gospel side. She has an interesting way of slipping a bit of gospel into her style. Reminds me of Elvis in that regard.

listopencil
05-26-2010, 11:39 PM
Aw, man. Fantasia and Reuben. That was nice.

T-post Tom
05-26-2010, 11:57 PM
Yeah, true. I love hearing her sing more of the bluesy stuff. She has the voice for it. But that was more of her sweet, gospel side. She has an interesting way of slipping a bit of gospel into her style. Reminds me of Elvis in that regard.

With the right producer, she could really put out some good studio work. She's one of my all time favorite Idol contestants.

CanadaKC
05-27-2010, 12:09 AM
why the **** do Americans relish in voting for the wrong person all the time?

BigCatDaddy
05-27-2010, 07:56 AM

I think it's probably do to so many young kids voting a million times.

Chiefnj2
05-27-2010, 09:18 AM
I still can't believe Dewyze made it to the finals. I don't think I ever enjoyed one of his songs.

siberian khatru
05-27-2010, 09:35 AM
I still can't believe Dewyze made it to the finals. I don't think I ever enjoyed one of his songs.

He's a typical Idol boring, middle-of-the-road mediocrity.

I thought Bowersox was a cliche, but a talented one. I suspect, like some past Idol contestants, she won by losing. She has the freedom to do what she wants.

Omaha
05-27-2010, 09:42 AM
The dud sang off key more than anyone. Sheesh, he absolutely butchered REM & U2. I ca'n't believe he going to try to release Beautiful Day as a single. That was horrible.

OmahaChief
05-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Put me in the camp that is happy Lee won. I liked his voice better and yes he had a rough last night but throughout the show he was the better of the two in my opinion.

I personally think the unwashed look of Crystal cost her a bit. She just always looked like she needed to take a bath to me.

NewChief
05-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Put me in the camp that is happy Lee won. I liked his voice better and yes he had a rough last night but throughout the show he was the better of the two in my opinion.

I personally think the unwashed look of Crystal cost her a bit. She just always looked liek she needed to take a bath to me.

Girl needs some cosmetic dental work. I'll be curious to see what she looks like a year from now.

Speaking of... Kelly Clarkson has put on some poundage as of late. Holy shite.

RedNFeisty
05-27-2010, 11:35 AM

Lee was good, and happy to see him be one of the final two. I do think Lee did better the past few weeks then Crystal. I do think Crystal has a lot more raw talent then Lee.

Chiefnj2
05-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Lee was good, and happy to see him be one of the final two. I do think Lee did better the past few weeks then Crystal. I do think Crystal has a lot more raw talent then Lee.

Lee was not good. He was far from good.

Who did the guys piss off to be stuck with such horrible acts? The girls at least got Christina Aguillera. Hall and Oats and Chicago? Were Neil Sedaka and Tony Orlando busy?

CoMoChief
05-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Casey James will have the best career. He's the most talented.

MOhillbilly
05-27-2010, 01:54 PM
People watch tv in the spring/summer/fall when its nice out?

Lunatics.

siberian khatru
05-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Casey James will have the best career. He's the most talented.

He was my favorite. I think he coasted through much of the competition, and at one point I remarked to the wife that I didn't think he was taking it very seriously. Had several poor song choices, IMO.

But the voice and guitar work will take him far once he settles into his rock groove. He's another one of those (like Daughtry) who didn't need to win to have successful careers -- in fact, "losing" might've been the best thing for them.

BigCatDaddy
05-27-2010, 01:58 PM
He was my favorite. I think he coasted through much of the competition, and at one point I remarked to the wife that I didn't think he was taking it very seriously. Had several poor song choices, IMO.

But the voice and guitar work will take him far once he settles into his rock groove. He's another one of those (like Daughtry) who didn't need to win to have successful careers -- in fact, "losing" might've been the best thing for them.

Wow, I didn't see that at all. He seems like a guy that might be playing at a local bar or something. I don't think he had any business in the top 5 myself. I don't think we will ever hear of CJ again.

siberian khatru
05-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Wow, I didn't see that at all. He seems like a guy that might be playing at a local bar or something. I don't think he had any business in the top 5 myself. I don't think we will ever hear of CJ again.

Maybe. It's all subjective.

Did you think Daughtry would make it big?

BigCatDaddy
05-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Maybe. It's all subjective.

Did you think Daughtry would make it big?

I didn't watch that season, bu there have been some that exited early I thought might do well later on.

siberian khatru
05-27-2010, 02:09 PM
I didn't watch that season, bu there have been some that exited early I thought might do well later on.

Daughtry was probably the only Idol contestant I actually pulled for, was shocked when he got voted off. But to me, he had star written all over him. I knew he'd be fronting some band.

I don't think Casey is as good as Daughtry, not such a sure thing.

But please, I'm no expert in these matters. This is just guy-on-his-sofa stuff.

Omaha
05-28-2010, 10:50 AM
I don't think Casey is as good as Daughtry, not such a sure thing.

Wow, I'd completely go the other way with that. Every big city has got plenty of local musicians with more talent than Daughtry. I think that is evident considering the bland garbage he puts on the radio. (My opinion)

Casey, on the other hand, actually has some decent chops on guitar and a very solid voice.

blazzin311
05-28-2010, 02:59 PM
http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=502625&GT1=28103&

Bret Michaels to take Simon Cowell's 'Idol' seat?
May 27, 2010, 8:49 PM EST

WENN -- Bret Michaels has emerged as the new favorite to replace Simon Cowell as an "American Idol" judge after his triumphant performance on the live finale of the talent show on Wednesday night.

The Poison singer ignored his doctors' advice and took to the Idol stage for a duet with finalist Casey James.

The ailing rocker, who is still recovering from a near-fatal brain hemorrhage and a recent stroke, was an instant hit with fans, who gave him a standing ovation as he walked out to sing a rendition of Poison's "Every Rose Has Its Thorn."

And Cowell was left so impressed he's considering handing him his judging seat now that the Brit has quit the show after nine years on the panel.

He says, "Actually, he'd be good," Cowell told Extra. "He's funny. He's got experience. He'd be a good choice -- and you saw the audience reaction to him. They love him."

And Michaels is hopeful he will be handed the job: "I'm sorry he (Cowell) has to go but sometimes things happen," he told Extra. "Provided my health holds up, I think I'm taking that chair next year!"

Other celebrities who have been linked to the role include Quincy Jones, Howard Stern, Madonna's partner and record boss Guy Oseary, "Idol" host Ryan Seacrest, Harry Connick, Jr. and the show's former judge Paula Abdul.

siberian khatru
05-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Wow, I'd completely go the other way with that. Every big city has got plenty of local musicians with more talent than Daughtry. I think that is evident considering the bland garbage he puts on the radio. (My opinion)

Casey, on the other hand, actually has some decent chops on guitar and a very solid voice.

Well I can see I'm getting whipsawed on Casey James. Didn't know he was that polarizing.

BCD sees Casey as "a guy that might be playing at a local bar or something." Omaha sees Daughtry as that kind of guy and thinks Casey is the real talent.

BigMeatballDave
05-30-2010, 02:51 PM
Well I can see I'm getting whipsawed on Casey James. Didn't know he was that polarizing.

BCD sees Casey as "a guy that might be playing at a local bar or something." Omaha sees Daughtry as that kind of guy and thinks Casey is the real talent.Hey, I'm the only BCD around here...:p

BigMeatballDave
05-30-2010, 02:54 PM
Casey James will have the best career. He's the most talented.Casey James says Fuck You... LMAO

listopencil
05-30-2010, 03:07 PM

BCD sees Casey as "a guy that might be playing at a local bar or something." Omaha sees Daughtry as that kind of guy and thinks Casey is the real talent.

He's alright I guess. I'd put him roughly on par with Hannah Montana's dad but not quite as "good".

listopencil
05-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Girl needs some cosmetic dental work. I'll be curious to see what she looks like a year from now.

Yeah she has. Still sexy though. Here's an older video of her I liked a lot. I just stumbled across this on Youtube a while back while I was looking for background music.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bfb3k36Jg14&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bfb3k36Jg14&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

RedNFeisty
05-30-2010, 03:16 PM

I liked Daughtry, I thought he had a smooth confidence that would get him far in the music industry.

Casey, I don't know, he was okay.

T-post Tom
05-30-2010, 03:19 PM

That part's easy. Look at Elliott Yamin:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XU9x8G7khv0/SfjHEpHZ9_I/AAAAAAAACks/qKAq15lZmzk/s400/teeth-elliott-yamin-400a071807.jpg

http://3391.voxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/elliott-yamin-05-2007-03-23.jpg

listopencil
05-30-2010, 03:21 PM
I liked Daughtry, I thought he had a smooth confidence that would get him far in the music industry.

Casey, I don't know, he was okay.

I was really surprised when he got booted off. If I remember correctly, he had just done a nice rendition of "Ring Of Fire" that week. I guess there was some sort of drama about the arrangement, some people thought he had taken credit for setting it up himself when it was actually taken from an established artist or band.

T-post Tom
05-30-2010, 03:22 PM
I didn't dislike Casey or Lee, but I certainly agreed with the judges when they proclaimed Crystal as the best vocalist. I'm a bit partial to her song choices and style of singing, but she showed the most talent in my eyes. Also, I think the teen demographic helped Lee just as it helped last year's winner. That said, they've all locked up a good living from their efforts on the show.

BigMeatballDave
05-30-2010, 03:25 PM

Speaking of... Kelly Clarkson has put on some poundage as of late. Holy shite.Maybe not. Some singers do not like to fuck with their teeth. Take Jewel, for instance. She doesnt have the straightest teeth. I dont think she ever had anything done with them.

listopencil
05-30-2010, 03:27 PM
My mistake, it was "I walk the line":

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lJXwm150umQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lJXwm150umQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

BigMeatballDave
05-30-2010, 03:27 PM
I didn't dislike Casey or Lee, but I certainly agreed with the judges when they proclaimed Crystal as the best vocalist. I'm a bit partial to her song choices and style of singing, but she showed the most talent in my eyes. Also, I think the teen demographic helped Lee just as it helped last year's winner. That said, they've all locked up a good living from their efforts on the show.I'm sure he owned the 12-18 yo girl votes. He is very talented, though. I picked them 2 in the finale, with Crystal winning.

listopencil
05-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Adam Lambert with "Ring Of Fire". I thought it kicked ass:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sedrMbxWYZY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sedrMbxWYZY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

listopencil
05-30-2010, 03:31 PM
I'm sure he owned the 12-18 yo girl votes. He is very talented, though. I picked them 2 in the finale, with Crystal winning.

Same here.

BigMeatballDave
05-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Adam Lambert with "Ring Of Fire". I thought it kicked ass:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sedrMbxWYZY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sedrMbxWYZY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>By kicked, did you mean sucked? That was the biggest steaming pile of shit cover I've ever heard. :shake:

listopencil
05-30-2010, 03:35 PM
By kicked, did you mean sucked? That was the biggest steaming pile of shit cover I've ever heard. :shake:

Nah, I mean kicked ass. It was great. That arrangement took that song to a completely different place. It wasn't Lambert's arrangement but he did it justice by a large margin. Cash would have loved it.

listopencil
05-30-2010, 03:43 PM
Wow, the whole Adam Lambert Ring Of Fire arrangement may be much more complicated than I originally thought.

http://www.blueblood.net/2009/03/adam-lambert-ring-of-fire/

"In response to the recent Adam Lambert photos (http://www.blueblood.net/2009/03/adam-lambert-nude/) post, Forrest Black commented (http://www.blueblood.net/boards/showthread.php?p=203727) on Adam Lambert’s performance during country week on American Idol (http://www.americanidol.com/videos/season_8/the_top_13_finalists/top_13_adam_lambert), saying: “I’m a big Cash fan and I really enjoyed Lambert’s rendition a lot. I thought it had the right level of heat. I expected something more Elvis country, but this was a version of the song I’d listen to again on purpose.”
On the show, at the time of the performance, American Idol judge Randy Jackson compared Adam Lambert’s rendition of “Ring of Fire” to Nine Inch Nails (http://www.nin.com/) singing Johnny Cash. In point of fact, Johnny Cash sang NIN’s Hurt so Trent Reznor and Johnny Cash have collaborated. The cross-promo Johnny Cash and Trent Reznor did with the Hurt video was pretty awesome because it introduced a lot of each of their fans to great new music. The man in black and the man with a honey with head like hole black as your soul do have similar measures of anger and anguish and torment and insight in their work.
At any rate, Blue Blood has been receiving emails informing us that Adam Lambert’s American Idol performance of “Ring of Fire” was not his rendition at all. These emails then go on to detail erroneous “facts” which the writers appear to fervently believe.
The Random House Dictionary defines rendition as “an interpretation, as of a role or a piece of music”. The American Heritage Dictionary defines rendition as “An interpretation of a musical score or a dramatic piece, a performance of a musical or dramatic work”. Princeton University’s WordNet defines rendition as “a performance of a musical composition or a dramatic role, the act of interpreting something as expressed in an artistic performance”.

On American Idol, Adam Lambert told country singer (and American Idol performer coach for country week) Randy Travis that he had “found” an alternative arrangement for “Ring of Fire” which he liked. Use of the word found implies that it is not his own arrangement. Given the whole point of a pop idol is for them to be capable of working with composers and stylists and directors and photographers etc., while still bringing a lot of their own to the table, I’m pretty sure everyone on American Idol every season has help with every musical arrangement they use. The American Idol contestants are singing cover tunes, so they are being judged on singing ability and charisma and not on songwriting, lyrics, or composition.
In the judging episode this week, judge Randy Jackson referred to it as the Jeff Buckley arrangement. Randy Jackson may have meant that the arrangement was reminiscent of Jeff Buckley. Jeff Buckley does not appear to have ever done any official version of “Ring of Fire”, although we can’t vouch for what might have happened during drunk karaoke some time. Some people feel the arrangement was by genre-bending Doors-like band The Tea Party (http://www.teaparty.com/). Although whoever put the Middle Eastern-tinged take on “Ring of Fire” together may have been inspired by the Tea Party’s song “Sister Awake”, the Tea Party does not appear to have ever done any version of “Ring of Fire”. Although, once again, we can’t vouch for what might have happened during drunk karaoke some time. Some particularly pissed-off people on the internet seem to feel strongly that this particular version of “Ring of Fire” was the Dilana (http://www.dilanaclan.com/) version from Rock Star Supernova (http://www.cbs.com/primetime/rock_star2/). Yeah, I didn’t know what they were talking about either, even though this references a show which runs on CBS and I usually see what they are plugging because I watch CSI (only the Vegas one). Apparently Rock Star Supernova was a show where otherwise generally gainfully employed musicians Tommy Lee (Motley Crue, Methods of Mayhem, Sex Tap), Jason Newsted (Metallica), and Gilby Clarke (http://www.gilbyclarke.com/) (I know I’m supposed to say GNR, but I fucking loooooved Kill for Thrills.) form a supergroup and then hopefuls compete for who will join them. Apparently, Dilana was not the winner of the CBS reality show, but they took the runner-up on tour anyway.

Now it is kind of poetic to see people freaking out over who did the musical arrangement for a particular performance of the song Johnny Cash made famous. Partly there is the humor factor of watching folks with no idea what an arrangement even is try to debate technical aspects of music. I know I’m not qualified to do that, not being a musician and all myself, but apparently there are a lot of non-musicians who feel passionately up to the task of such a debate.
Most everyone knows that Johnny Cash sang the best-known version (rendition if you will) of “Ring of Fire”. He did not sing the first published version of the song, however, nor did he receive a songwriting credit on it. Anita Carter, Johnny Cash’s then-future sister-in-law, released her rendition of the song well before Johnny Cash did. Songwriter/band manager Merle Kilgore and Johnny Cash’s then-future wife June Carter are officially credited with writing “Ring of Fire”. In the movie, Walk the Line, there is a scene where June Carter is penning the tune and she said in interviews that the song came to her while she was driving around trying to figure out what to do about her irresistible attraction to this bad boy who was already married. Some conjecture that, because of her religious beliefs, June Carter might have also been literally afraid of the hellfire that might consume her for stealing a married man from his wife. Now that Johnny Cash, Merle Kilgore, and June Carter are all dead, there is a ferocious legal dispute over who really wrote “Ring of Fire”. Johnny Cash’s first wife Vivian Cash says in her memoir, I Walked the Line: My Life with Johnny (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1416532951?ie=UTF8&tag=blueblood-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1416532951)http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=blueblood-20&l=as2&o=1&a=1416532951, that of course Johnny Cash wrote the song and he told her, at the time, that he was giving June Carter credit because he felt sorry for how broke she was. Former Johnny Cash backing musician Curly Lewis has testified that Johnny Cash and Merle Kilgore wrote the song together and the lyrics refer to June Carter’s ladyparts in specific. Personally, I want to watch the estate hearing where the judge has to listen to a tape of Curly Lewis saying “We got a female part involved . . . vagina is the ring of fire”.
So, anyway, everybody is clear that American Idol is a competition for who brings the best charisma, good looks, nice vocal timbre, and impressive range, right? Not a songwriting and composing competition for people who scorn covers. Good. I’m glad that is clear and I look forward to all your non-angry emails telling us you’ve seen the light. "

listopencil
05-30-2010, 03:45 PM
I've always thought that Cash was referring to June's ring of fire.

BigMeatballDave
05-30-2010, 03:51 PM
Nah, I mean kicked ass. It was great. That arrangement took that song to a completely different place. It wasn't Lambert's arrangement but he did it justice by a large margin. Cash would have loved it.To each his own. I'm not a fan.

listopencil
05-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Maybe you'll like it more if a woman sings it (kinda) that way? Her voice is nowhere near as powerful as Lambert's, but it does have a similar arrangement. And I love her licking her lips and giving us a wink part of the way through.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/whtQZJ7R3EU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/whtQZJ7R3EU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

CoMoChief
06-01-2010, 06:57 PM
My mistake, it was "I walk the line":

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lJXwm150umQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lJXwm150umQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

If that's not ruining a classic song.....I dunno what is. I like Daughtry, but that was crap.