PDA

View Full Version : Electronics New Phone: Palm Pre or HTC Hero

Vegas_Dave
03-10-2010, 12:01 AM
Getting a new phone, going with Sprint (price)

I am torn between the Palm Pre and the HTC Hero. Both have their pros and cons. Both are on the rise... but I have the initial feeling that the Android OS (Hero) has all of the momentum whereas the Palm WebOS is getting stagnat... considering that in reality, I think that only 1 will really remain to rival iPhone developement, which should I go with.

So any opinions would be appreciated.

AustinChief
03-10-2010, 12:09 AM
Getting a new phone, going with Sprint (price)

I am torn between the Palm Pre and the HTC Hero. Both have their pros and cons. Both are on the rise... but I have the initial feeling that the Android OS (Hero) has all of the momentum whereas the Palm WebOS is getting stagnat... considering that in reality, I think that only 1 will really remain to rival iPhone developement, which should I go with.

So any opinions would be appreciated.

I own a Palm Pre and love the OS and the phone... but for the future... Android is the way to go...

THAT SAID... I won't switch to Android until the next version... 2.5 or 3

If you want a phone for the next 6 months... either is fine... I will probably end up with the first wimax enabled android phone from HTC (sometime this summer)

SLAG
03-10-2010, 12:14 AM
I own a Palm Pre and love the OS and the phone... but for the future... Android is the way to go...

If you want a phone for the next 6 months... either is fine... I will probably end up with the first wimax enabled android phone from HTC (sometime this summer)

This-

I have had them all - android - blackberry -windows mobile - and the Palm Pre - I am with the palm pre right now but if a wimax 4g device is around at my next upgrade I will get that - if it is android or WebOS

WebOS is just much more beautiful and elegant over android - android is a bit clunky but the SenseUI on the HERO really helps.

I am also with the PalmPre for the full keyboard - My fat fingers are too stubby for a touchscreen device full time

Any way let us know where you end up

Vegas_Dave
03-10-2010, 12:24 AM

Well dang, that thows another wrench in the cogs of my brain... I am in Vegas, one of the Spring/Clear 4G/WiMax networks... crap crap crap crap... I have been dinking around on my current phone for 2+ years... I want a better phone now... not this summer.

In the words of my favorite bald cartoon character: "ARGH!"

AustinChief
03-10-2010, 12:24 AM
This-

I have had them all - android - blackberry -windows mobile - and the Palm Pre - I am with the palm pre right now but if a wimax 4g device is around at my next upgrade I will get that - if it is android or WebOS

WebOS is just much more beautiful and elegant over android - android is a bit clunky but the SenseUI on the HERO really helps.

I am also with the PalmPre for the full keyboard - My fat fingers are too stubby for a touchscreen device full time

oh, yeah, meant to say... I will probably get the first wimax phone WITH A KEYBOARD.. hopefully there will be one.

SLAG
03-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Well dang, that thows another wrench in the cogs of my brain... I am in Vegas, one of the Spring/Clear 4G/WiMax networks... crap crap crap crap... I have been dinking around on my current phone for 2+ years... I want a better phone now... not this summer.

Pick up one or the other on ebay/craigslist - for around $120 / $100 and dont use your upgrade

if i had to get one of those phones today that is what i would do

SLAG
03-10-2010, 12:31 AM
on another note - clearwire in kansas city has moved in to our office building as of late last year and they are really doing some work around here - lots of big trucks little trucks - lots of different cars and people - and DAMNIT CARL they have taken all the parking spots

Vegas_Dave
03-10-2010, 12:33 AM
Pick up one or the other on ebay/craigslist - for around $120 / $100 and dont use your upgrade

if i had to get one of those phones today that is what i would do

I'm currently with AT&T right now so this would be a new account with Sprint.

SLAG
03-10-2010, 12:35 AM
I'm currently with AT&T right now so this would be a new account with Sprint.

you could still get one off of ebay - they will sign you to a one year deal if you bring your own phone and you will still have an upgrade to use whenever you are ready.

KC native
03-10-2010, 12:37 PM
I have a friend that works at a Sprint retail store and she says the Hero is one of the best phones they have and they get the least amount of complaints with it.

Vegas_Dave
03-10-2010, 12:40 PM
I have a friend that works at a Sprint retail store and she says the Hero is one of the best phones they have and they get the least amount of complaints with it.

This is where I am leaning so that is a great post!

phillip
03-10-2010, 12:58 PM
I wouldn't say the Pre is becoming stagnant. Palm sends out regular OS updates, the newest being 1.4 a couple weeks ago, adding video recording and some other functionality. The OS is constantly being improved by Palm and new apps come in every week.

I've spent a lot of time with both phones and I don't think there is a wrong choice.

I chose the Pre based on form factor. It has a hard key board and fits more easily in my jeans pockets. If I were you, i'd go with what you like between a hard and soft keyboard, screen size, etc.

Pestilence
03-10-2010, 02:33 PM
I wouldn't say the Pre is becoming stagnant. Palm sends out regular OS updates, the newest being 1.4 a couple weeks ago, adding video recording and some other functionality. The OS is constantly being improved by Palm and new apps come in every week.

I've spent a lot of time with both phones and I don't think there is a wrong choice.

I chose the Pre based on form factor. It has a hard key board and fits more easily in my jeans pockets. If I were you, i'd go with what you like between a hard and soft keyboard, screen size, etc.

I've had tons of problems with the Pre since I bought it.

Vegas_Dave
03-10-2010, 02:50 PM
I've had tons of problems with the Pre since I bought it.

Like what?

One of my concerns on the Pre is that eventually, the device has got to start feeling "loose" from the constant sliding.

Pestilence
03-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Like what?

One of my concerns on the Pre is that eventually, the device has got to start feeling "loose" from the constant sliding.

Nothing mechanical.

The thing just became buggy as shit. I have to reboot the thing at least 2-3 times a day....and this thing does not reboot that fast.

Dartgod
03-10-2010, 03:05 PM
I've had my Hero for about a month now and I love it, love it, love it!

Of course, this is my first smart phone, so I have no basis for comparison.
This was one of my concerns when I got the Hero. I have short fat fingers too, but was surprised to find that the touchscreen keyboard is quite easy for me to use.

SLAG
03-10-2010, 03:07 PM
what phone do you currently have?

Vegas_Dave
03-10-2010, 03:13 PM
what phone do you currently have?

AT&T - Samsung BlackJackII

SLAG
03-10-2010, 05:16 PM
AT&T - Samsung BlackJackII

either one you get will be light years better

ENJOY!

Vegas_Dave
03-10-2010, 05:49 PM
either one you get will be light years better

ENJOY!

This is true!

Went with the Hero. Its pretty frikken cool!

SLAG
03-10-2010, 07:34 PM
This is true!

Went with the Hero. Its pretty frikken cool!

right on..
I was just gonna post that the browser on the pre is better than on android... But the hero isn't awful like a blackberry or your ace II

salame
03-10-2010, 07:54 PM
I love my htc

Dayze
03-10-2010, 08:11 PM
my wife and I are considering upgrading; simply because some of the plans they have now are affordable. I think the everything data plan is like 129/mo for two phones; we never use the anytime minutes, so no biggie.

so, this is a good thread/good timing. I like some of these new fangled smart phones. I currently have the Lotus and she has the Rumor.

Ari Chi3fs
03-10-2010, 08:13 PM
This-

Bullshit. You've never used SWYPE then. I'll NEVER need another physical keyboard. http://swypeinc.com

And I have a Droid... my wife has a Samsung Moment from Sprint... It's a great phone. I like Hero, as well.

Go Android. Period.

Dayze
03-10-2010, 08:19 PM
dude...that swype thing is nuts.

morphius
03-10-2010, 09:44 PM
I have the Sprint Hero, which I like a lot. I might have went with the Pre just for the keyboard though. I'm slowly getting better on the touch screen keyboard, but it isn't as good as using my blackberry's physical keyboard was. They are supposed to update the Hero to version 2 of Android sometime early second quarter, which will add some nice features. I'd be hard pressed putting off getting one until the 4G one came out this summer, but at the same time who knows how many delays they may run into with it.

SLAG
03-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Yes WebOS is late to the table of smart phones - the thing is there is enough dinner for everybody.

With Palms PDK and flash hitting too - the Pre can compete

morphius
03-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Bullshit. You've never used SWYPE then. I'll NEVER need another physical keyboard. http://swypeinc.com

And I have a Droid... my wife has a Samsung Moment from Sprint... It's a great phone. I like Hero, as well.

Go Android. Period.
That's nice and all, except for they closed the beta...

Anyong Bluth
03-10-2010, 11:42 PM

FYI, I vote Pre Pre Pre & rumor is that Palm will be introducing their new phone (think big upgraded Pre that has a beefed up hardware, more storage space etc to keep up with the new wave of higher end phones) that will include Wi-Max. It's pretty much certain that it will be out 2Q this year and Sprint said it expects to have a number of Wi Max phones out this year. Makes sense because they'd be fools to not take advantage of this while they're the only ones that can even offer 4G phones right now.

I love WebOS & could go on about my reason why but don't have the time right now to write a long post. No knock on Android looking at where WebOS is after just 9 months on the market compared to Android, Iphone or the others speaks volumes of how awesome it is and what the future holds for it!

Anyong Bluth
03-10-2010, 11:54 PM
Sorry I can't post more right now, I just did a quick search for some info to give you some idea of Palm going forward, but really the C40 is so speculative & no one had a handle on what it will be. That said, Palm DEFINATELY listens to their customers and I love WebOS and want to support a company that conducts themselves like they have. If their constant updates and the fact they actually give props to their homebrew community shows me they listen and care and want to correct the Pre's major shortcoming - build quality for some units & come out with a killer phone, both in build & internals. I have little doubt I will be getting Sprint's next Palm phone on day one. I already have both the Pre & Pixi and I tried other phones after the Pre came out & I just couldn't give up WebOs. I've never had a phone that I love the OS as much- in spite of it's many flaws it has given it's infancy. Best of luck to you in your decision! Plus, I love Sprint & really get tired of hearing people knock it when it's network & prices are AWESOME!

Palm WiMAX rumors continue to swirl

By Derek Kessler (http://chiefsplanet.com/author/Derek Kessler) | Friday, Mar 5, 2010 | 108 comments » (http://chiefsplanet.com/rumor-palm-working-wimax-device-sprint#comments)
http://www.precentral.net/sites/precentral.net/files/articleimages/Derek%20Kessler/2010/03/wimax4g.jpg
Analysts say all sorts of different things about Palm, and when we’re hearing something wild from just one of them we tend to discount it. But when multiple analysts (http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9163042/A_WiMax_phone_might_help_ailing_Palm_?taxonomyId=15&pageNumber=2) and supposed insiders (http://www.goingwimax.com/palms-latest-a-wimax-phone-for-sprint-9093/) are chattering about something we have to sit up and take notice, even if we’re still not completely buying it. The latest Palm rumor falls into that camp: Palm is developing a WiMAX (4G) device for Sprint and could be unveiled as early as this month at CTIA.
We’re not entirely sure what to make of this. There is always the almost mythical Palm C40 floating around in Sprint’s inventory systems, but we haven’t heard anything other than rampant speculation about what Palm’s next products might be.
As for all the talk about how a WiMAX phone will save Palm... That, like the existence of the phone itself, might be wishful thinking. Like it or not, WiMAX still has a relatively small footprint and Sprint is still a network with half as many subscribers as competitors Verizon and AT&T. A WiMAX Palm phone would be undeniably awesome, but it would also mainly be compelling to a small subset of users on a small network.

<H1 class=title>Round Table: The Palm C40

By Derek Kessler (http://chiefsplanet.com/author/Derek Kessler) | Friday, Feb 19, 2010 | 145 comments » (http://chiefsplanet.com/round-table-palm-c40#comments)
http://www.precentral.net/sites/precentral.net/files/articleimages/Derek%20Kessler/2009/11/round-table.jpg
Welcome to Round Table, which is in fact not a table at all. Round Table (http://www.precentral.net/tags/round-table) is a continuing series on PreCentral where we pose a question to the staff and they provide their thoughts and insights. The question could be something simple like “what’s your favorite webOS app?” or something a bit more complicated, like “where does Palm go from here?” Or maybe we’ll just end up chatting about our favorite movies, you never know. This time around we're dispensing thoughts on something that has puzzled and eluded us for months: the Palm C40 (http://admin.precentral.net/tags/c40).
Craig:
We can only speculate about the Palm "C40." The number appears to be completely different than the "100" designated for the Pre and the 120 for the Pixi. If Sprint is true to form, a next generation Pre or Pixi might be a 100 or 200 series. So this is something different.
Let's start with the easy things. Palm has said that they will stick to offering real keyboards and I hope they do. The iPhone's virtual keyboard is just so clumsy. It also will need to be 4G or it will be Dead On Arrival. It will need a higher resolution camera with auto-focus and zoom, even if it is digital zoom. And Palm has to address the battery life issues in hardware. There is just so much you can do in software to save power. The Google Nexus is rated at twice the battery life of a Pre.
I would love to see a new webOS phone about the size of a Motorola Droid. I really like the Droid's landscape, slide-out keyboard. I know some like the small keyboard for one-handed texting but I really would like a wider keyboard for every-day use. When the Droid's keyboard is slid out, it is big enough but can still fit in a pocket when closed. Memory and resolution do have to be addressed in upcoming webOS devices. If you download a HD YouTube video to the Pre, it is really a stunning picture. But go up to the Droid's 854x480 and you can use it to comfortably watch a movie while traveling. Now memory becomes an issue. Instead of going to 16 GB, it would make so much more sense to use a microSD slot like the Droid. Resolution and memory are also key to making this a gaming machine.
Our expectations for our phones are changing rapidly. Your phone is your video player, TV, Facebook, email, texting, calendar, contacts, and gaming device. Oh, don't forget to make it a phone too. Even the iPad should have been a phone.
Derek:
Ever since the C40 popped up in Sprint’s inventory system I’ve been sitting here scratching my head as to what this mystery device may be. Literally, that’s all I’ve done for the past four and a half months. What I actually want the C40 to be is an interesting question, and it’s difficult to figure out what it is that I want. I didn’t know I wanted the Palm Pre and webOS, or anything like it, until it came out. But I did want the Pre Plus - the better Pre - before we even had an inkling of its existence. But with the C40 model number I have to throw those desires out the window, because this device clearly doesn’t fit into the P1XX series that contains the Pre, Pixi, and their plus variants.
Trying to narrow down what I want the C40 to be is an exercise in bad options. I want it to be the better iPad, but for something that could be a raw productivity machine I don’t think webOS is ready to compete on that large (screen size) of a scale with the more developed iPad. And the last thing I want Palm to do is launch a product that will fall flat in the market. So I guess what I really want is the lovechild of a Motorola Droid and the Pre Plus. Keep the slider keyboard but make it portrait, make it faster, bigger, and thinner. But that makes no sense for something as different as the C40.
What I expect the C40 to be is an entirely different beast, but I really have no expectation as to what that means. With just a model number it’s impossible to figure out what it could be. If we operate on the assumption that it’s not just a random placeholder in Sprint’s systems, then we have to assume that this is a connected cellular device of some variety - otherwise it wouldn’t be in Sprint’s systems. There are a couple of things to take into consideration, such as it being a “smartphone” in Sprint’s system, and Palm’s dedication to the physical keyboard. My almost certainly off the mark prediction is that the C40 will be unlike any phone we’ve seen before. webOS is in its infancy right now, and the C40 is a device that will blow the doors wide open, which means we’re going to need something like webOS 2.0 to for this smartphone to arrive. I see this as a slab phone with a virtual keyboard, but a screen that depresses/clicks like the Storm 2. But not like the Storm 2, if that makes any sense. With, of course, ridiculous hardware specs to boot (Tegra 2, WiMax, etc).
That, or the Palm C40 just doesn’t exist.
Dieter:
I have no idea what the C40 is. No. Idea. It's maddening, honestly. What do I want it to be? A touchscreen-only webOS device, the boring slab, but with decent industrial design and a virtual keyboard that's at least the equal of Swype on Android or the iPhone's keyboard. I have no illusions that we'll get expandable memory via an SD card slot or WiMAX. Basically take the Nexus One, remove the trackball and virtual buttons and replace them with a gesture area, and I would be one happy blogger.
Jonathan:
What I want the C40 to be is a slightly larger webOS smartphone, similar to the Pre in having a sliding keyboard (since a fixed physical keyboard plus a half-VGA or better screen would be very bulky), but being a hair bigger, to enable a larger capacity (removable) battery and a microSD slot for removable storage. It would also have a better, autofocus camera (the microSD would allow larger photo and video files), a native virtual keyboard (at least in landscape mode) and the full suite of Bluetooth profiles (of course).
What I expect the C40 to be is the Pre Plus, perhaps with a microSDHC slot wedged in somehow. I don’t expect Palm to so quickly dilute the value of its higher-end devices and its nascent 3rd party accessories market by changing the form factor so substantially, so soon after Verizon got the Pre Plus.
Keith:
Personally, I want the Pixi form factor with the Pre specs. Nothing quite beats the QWERTY candy-bar styled phone for my daily use, the Sprint Pre keyboard leaves something to be desired after using several other hard keyboards over the years. So I wonder why Palm has offered this to form factor to another demographic with the Pixi; they obviously think it's a good selling point but that doesn't really help us power users who need (want) 4-6 cards running without slow downs. It's also sad to see the lack of 3D gaming for the Pixi; so not only do I want a nice CPU and GPU, I need the C40 to incorporate another design change: less wasted bezel (BlackBerry Tour Keyboard style) and more pixels. If you look at the Pixi, the keyboard could have been shifted down and made wider to get more screen in there (also if the device were a little bigger it wouldn't have hurt in design). I don't worry about the OS, because that is a work in progress that is constantly transitioning. When the C40 drops (if it's even real...) Palm might be at webOS 2.0, so it isn't a major concern of software but rather a concern of this being a flagship device.
Here is my total stab in the dark as to what I think it will be... this device is a placeholder in the Sprint system to generate buzz. It's obvious that things get screen capped and leaked all the time. I am not saying it's a total plant on purpose, I do think there is another device coming to Sprint this year from Palm. I think when it becomes more concrete to both Palm and Sprint, it'll be known as the C40. It's just my opinion that the C40 name came before the device itself. That point being made first... I expect to see the Pre 2 to be the C40. This device will have better hardware design all around (look to the Pre Plus for some mild insight) and possibly include a few upgrades like OMLED screen for better power consumption, more RAM, and a much better battery capacity (minimum of 1500 mAh but more would be better). I am not sure how much better we improve in terms of the processor, but I wouldn't count out a Snapdragon or Tegra 2 processor being a possibility for your flagship device.
Robert:
I'd like the C40 to be a flagship-tier device sporting any combination of the following: a bigger screen, a bigger keyboard, and more storage. I doubt that we'll be seeing anything with a horizontal keyboard or removable memory coming out of Palm anytime soon (read: ever), so I'd imagine that it would be similar to the Pre with a slider keyboard, but bigger and less curvy.
As far as what I expect the C40 to actually be? That product number has been in Sprint inventory systems for nearly 6 months now, and I highly doubt that it's related to a yet to be announced handset or device. I do have a strong suspicion that we'll see a new Palm handset out on Sprint sometime this Summer, but it won't be related to this.
And there you have it. Our wishes, our hopes, and our lofty misguided expectations all rolled into one post. That's what we think of the mythical C40 - what about you?

</H1>

Anyong Bluth
03-11-2010, 03:07 PM
That's nice and all, except for they closed the beta...

I found 2 Swype for Android files if you're interested. I don't use an Android phone so I can't verify it for sure, but I got them from a trusted place & did a scan of all the file to make sure nothing popped up with an alert. You'll have to load the apk file via your computer or however else you know how to do so (sideloading) If it's anything like installing homebrew apps & patches on WebOs, it should be a breeze and take no time.

Here is the link to download the zip: http://www.easy-share.com/1909518449/Swype.zip

I would have just attached it here but the attachment would be larger than CP allows for zip files. Sorry!

I am the one that zipped and uploaded the 2 versions, so this isn't a link I got from someone else, but like I said I have no way of trying these out, but I wouldn't be too worried that it's malicious ware & I wouldn't be dick enough to post this and screw some one's day up. I just am a big phone nut and have been following Swype for a long time and am dying to have it ported to WebOs or on Window Mobile 7 series down the road & figured people would appreciate a chance to play with it on your phones b/c it can be frustrating as hell when a cool thing like this is out and the beta is closed and you miss out. I remember having to wait like a month to get to try out skyfire and really hated having to wait to play with it!

In the zip there is a stand alone apk file that is one of the versions I found. Then there is a folder named Skype with another apk file and looks like an installer and other files that when I looked it over is probably the better bet to try to install first? Here are some instructions I came across when I got the 2nd Swype version (the one that is in the folder)

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6188/swype.jpg

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6188/swype.jpg (http://img85.imageshack.us/i/swype.jpg/)

This is the Swype Keyboard for the Android OS.
Supports the HVGA screen resolutions phones. I
didnt make this software app, nor do I claim to. I
cannot offer any support for this app. I wont be
taking any bug reports either.
For support
visit this site:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=622144
/>Install:
Preparing your PC and Phone:
/>On your phone go to settings -> Application
Settings and enable Unknown Sources.

Also go to Settings -> SD Card and Phone Storage
-> Disable Use for USB Storage. You can enable it
again later.
Connect your phone to your pc
and if prompted for drivers point windows to the
location of the USB drivers that you
downloaded.
Getting it on device:
Run
the included batch script i wrote and it will auto
install it for you.
After it is on device:
/>Go to settings> locale+text> enable swype -
disable sound. long press any text box> input>
Swype
If your computer doesn't auto detect
drivers for your phone then follow the steps here:

http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html

Hope this helps for anyone that's interested & I'd love some feedback if people can get it loaded and what you think about using Swype!!