PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Second Trailer of Iron Man 2

Tribal Warfare
03-10-2010, 03:15 AM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FNQowwwwYa0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FNQowwwwYa0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Tribal Warfare
03-10-2010, 03:18 AM
WIN overload!!!!!!!!!!

KCChiefsMan
03-10-2010, 03:42 AM
there looks to be a LOT going on there, but I'm pretty excited to see it

Guru
03-10-2010, 03:53 AM
So what does Bruce Banner have against Tony Stark?

threebag02
03-10-2010, 05:53 AM
I cant wait to see this

Deberg_1990
03-10-2010, 06:12 AM
So what does Bruce Banner have against Tony Stark?

Im hopeing Hulk makes a cameo.

Bane
03-10-2010, 06:19 AM
Looks awesome to me.

JD10367
03-10-2010, 06:46 AM
Second trailer is much more impressive than the first.

Oh, by the way... did I mention this is coming out in IMAX? 2D, as far as I know, but still... F**K yeah, that's gonna look and sound good.

Bane
03-10-2010, 07:12 AM
Second trailer is much more impressive than the first.

Oh, by the way... did I mention this is coming out in IMAX? 2D, as far as I know, but still... F**K yeah, that's gonna look and sound good.

That will be awesome!

JD10367
03-10-2010, 07:15 AM
That will be awesome!

Yeah, they missed the boat on the first one, we were running some piece of shit film in IMAX instead. I'm glad they saw how well it did and decided to convert the sequel to large-format.

Deberg_1990
04-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Reviews are starting to trickle out...

Verdict: Decent, but not as good as the first........who knows though? You cant always trust professional reviewers with flicks like this..

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117942625.html?categoryId=31&cs=1&nid=2854

Tribal Warfare
04-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Reviews are starting to trickle out...

Verdict: Decent, but not as good as the first........who knows though? You cant always trust professional reviewers with flicks like this..

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117942625.html?categoryId=31&cs=1&nid=2854

Rotten Tomatoes shows it at 80% thus far

Deberg_1990
04-27-2010, 07:22 PM
One i read said this was just a setup for the Avengers movie. I still have no idea how they are going to pull that off? So many characters.....

Tribal Warfare
04-27-2010, 07:28 PM
One i read said this was just a setup for the Avengers movie. I still have no idea how they are going to pull that off? So many characters.....

With existing characters in the movie limelight Thor will be one since they are making the movie as we speak, Hulk, Captain America, Iron Man, hell if they want they could add Wolverine since he's a part of the Avengers continuity but I've been hearing that they are trying to add Black Panther to the possible heroes in the movie.

Deberg_1990
04-27-2010, 07:35 PM
With existing characters in the movie limelight Thor will be one since they are making the movie as we speak, Hulk, Captain America, Iron Man, hell if they want they could add Wolverine since he's a part of the Avengers continuity but I've been hearing that they are trying to add Black Panther to the possible heroes in the movie.

Thats alot of characters to pull off effectively. It will end up being like an X-Men movie. Where Cyclops got shafted for screen time.

I wish them all the best though. It could be epic if they pull it off.

keg in kc
04-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Harry at AICN loved it (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/44828).

irishjayhawk
04-27-2010, 09:51 PM
True, keg, but early buzz from elsewhere was pretty mixed. Some REALLY negative.

And most negatives pointed to the point of contention I immediately questioned: the too many villains syndrome. See: Spidey 3, X3.

Deberg_1990
04-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Harry at AICN loved it (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/44828).

heh, ive learned to take his reviews with a grain of salt. Hes a huge fanboy, so he tends to let his emotions get the better of him.

Guru
04-28-2010, 01:09 AM
True, keg, but early buzz from elsewhere was pretty mixed. Some REALLY negative.

And most negatives pointed to the point of contention I immediately questioned: the too many villains syndrome. See: Spidey 3, X3.crap, too many villians ruins hero movies.

keg in kc
04-28-2010, 12:14 PM
heh, ive learned to take his reviews with a grain of salt. Hes a huge fanboy, so he tends to let his emotions get the better of him.I'm waiting to see what Devin Faraci says. If he likes it, I may begin to worry.

Dicky McElephant
04-28-2010, 12:26 PM
I can't wait to see this shit. And I personally don't care if there are to many villians.

Deberg_1990
04-28-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm waiting to see what Devin Faraci says. If he likes it, I may begin to worry.

Drew (Moriarty) McWeeney liked it. Hes the one fanboy i trust. Hes always even keeled.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-motion-captured/posts/the-m-c-review-iron-man-2-whips-the-summer-movie-formula

JD10367
04-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Sequels usually are never as good as the original. When you mine new territory, it's always fresh and fascinating; when you do a sequel, your starting base is "more of the same".

Luckily, going by the trailers, "more of the same" should still be damn entertaining, because Downey IS that role, and when you set the music of AC/DC or Black Sabbath to the visuals of "a lot of shit getting blowed up", it's hard to go wrong. Throw in a prim Gwyneth Paltrow and a smoking-hot Scarlett Johannsen, and I really don't care if the film is 2 hours of Tony Stark flying, drinking, f**king, and being smarmy, it'll still be better than most of the crap films I've seen recently, LOL.

My print just showed up today. 37 reels, around 2:05 worth of IMAX film. I'll be putting this bitch together for around 15 hours on Friday, and screening it Monday at 11pm. Anyone interested in a 2000-mile road trip, come see it. :D

Deberg_1990
04-28-2010, 07:03 PM
My print just showed up today. 37 reels, around 2:05 worth of IMAX film. I'll be putting this bitch together for around 15 hours on Friday, and screening it Monday at 11pm. Anyone interested in a 2000-mile road trip, come see it. :D

heh, sounds like fun. :)

Valiant
04-28-2010, 11:38 PM
crap, too many villians ruins hero movies.

You can do it.. The problem is you need a long movie.. Hell, if I were doing a hero movie.. Theatrical would be 2:30mins long and extended version 3 and half.. One would be for general audiences(theatrical) and the extended would be for the comic fans..

Kind of wrote an outline script for xmen 4 and 5.. But would need to likes of avatar and the FFmovie guys to pull it off..

Deberg_1990
04-29-2010, 07:27 AM
heh, if i would have told you 5-10 years ago, that we would have a 100 million dollar superhero movie headlined by Robert Downey Jr. and Mickey Roarke, what would you have said?? ROFL

irishjayhawk
04-29-2010, 09:01 AM
Sequels usually are never as good as the original. When you mine new territory, it's always fresh and fascinating; when you do a sequel, your starting base is "more of the same".

Luckily, going by the trailers, "more of the same" should still be damn entertaining, because Downey IS that role, and when you set the music of AC/DC or Black Sabbath to the visuals of "a lot of shit getting blowed up", it's hard to go wrong. Throw in a prim Gwyneth Paltrow and a smoking-hot Scarlett Johannsen, and I really don't care if the film is 2 hours of Tony Stark flying, drinking, f**king, and being smarmy, it'll still be better than most of the crap films I've seen recently, LOL.

That's what worries me with How to Train Your Dragon's newly greenlit sequel.

Tribal Warfare
04-29-2010, 10:11 AM
heh, if i would have told you 5-10 years ago, that we would have a 100 million dollar superhero movie headlined by Robert Downey Jr. and Mickey Roarke, what would you have said?? ROFL

Is Keith Richards hosting the catering on the set

Deberg_1990
04-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Sequels usually are never as good as the original.

Yes, Empire Strikes Back, Aliens, Spiderman 2 and Godfather II sucked.

irishjayhawk
04-29-2010, 11:18 AM

Usually.

5 < 3894793847938749386493

Sure-Oz
04-29-2010, 11:56 AM
I'll be going to see this at the AMC downtown with the nice seats/food within the next few weekends

JD10367
04-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Usually.

5 < 3894793847938749386493

Thank you for saving me the trouble of responding.

JD10367
04-29-2010, 12:09 PM
That's what worries me with How to Train Your Dragon's newly greenlit sequel.

Frankly, I loved both "Avatar" and "HTTYD" and I can tell you I have absolutely zero interest in seeing either sequel. There's no more story to tell there. Anything else will simply be "doing it for the sake of making more money".

Sure-Oz
04-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Frankly, I loved both "Avatar" and "HTTYD" and I can tell you I have absolutely zero interest in seeing either sequel. There's no more story to tell there. Anything else will simply be "doing it for the sake of making more money".

I can agree with you there, both don't need sequels...but being a movie buff im sure i'll see them

Sure-Oz
04-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Iron Man 2 at 76% on RT

irishjayhawk
04-29-2010, 12:31 PM

That's kind of what I think too. However, HTTYD has a series of books so there may be something more.

Currently, I view HTTYD's sequel in the Pirates/Matrix line than the Lord of the Rings or Spidey 2 line.

irishjayhawk
04-29-2010, 12:32 PM
I'll be going to see this at the AMC downtown with the nice seats/food within the next few weekends

I'm seeing the double feature of IM and IM2 back to back at Studio 30.

keg in kc
04-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Devin Faraci gave it a 6.5 out of 10 (http://chud.com/articles/articles/23545/1/REVIEW-IRON-MAN-2/Page1.html) which makes it just about a sure thing that I'm going to love it. I'm not sure what's going on with the dude, his reviews used to be money, but the last 4 or 5 years, more often than not it seems like the stuff he loves I'm "meh" about and the stuff he rails on works for me. It's almost like he's crossed some imaginary line between "movie geek" and "film snob".

Deberg_1990
04-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Devin Faraci gave it a 6.5 out of 10 (http://chud.com/articles/articles/23545/1/REVIEW-IRON-MAN-2/Page1.html) which makes it just about a sure thing that I'm going to love it. I'm not sure what's going on with the dude, his reviews used to be money, but the last 4 or 5 years, more often than not it seems like the stuff he loves I'm "meh" about and the stuff he rails on works for me. It's almost like he's crossed some imaginary line between "movie geek" and "film snob".

Yea, i cant stand the guy anymore. Hes way too snobby and likes to be different, just to be different.

Valiant
04-29-2010, 01:56 PM

I would like to see a relaunch of the Jesus of Nazareth featuring Rourke, Maybe have him fight some zombies.. Bruce Cample as Judas the villian who is the leader of the zombie horde.. Some hot woman as magdalene.. I am seeing a hit..

Tribal Warfare
04-29-2010, 05:05 PM

*cough* The Dark Knight *cough*

Sure-Oz
04-29-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm seeing the double feature of IM and IM2 back to back at Studio 30.

Why would i give a **** that you are seeing the double feature?

jk, thats awesome dude, i want to see both in theaters back to back.

JD10367
04-30-2010, 03:30 PM
Well, I've assembled 26 reels out of 37 reels so far, and just by looking at the images at each head and tail, I've seen nothing but head shots of Downey. There better be more in this film than talking. (It's entirely possible that I'm just missing all the "action scenes" buried in the middle of the reels. I remember thinking "Avatar" seemed unimpressive judging by the images I saw while building it.)

I could've sworn they said they were filming parts of it with the IMAX camera, but I haven't seen any of it. Maybe they saved it for the end of the film...

Deberg_1990
04-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Well, I've assembled 26 reels out of 37 reels so far, and just by looking at the images at each head and tail, I've seen nothing but head shots of Downey. There better be more in this film than talking.

Thats some of the critisisms ive read about it. Too much Downey, not enough Iron Man.

On the flip flop, Downey is the biggest reason the first one was so enjoyable....right?

Oh, and i dont think anything was filmed in IMAX specifically? So its probably another one of those IMAX stretch jobs that doesnt fill the whole screen (ala, Star Trek)..right?

keg in kc
04-30-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm trying to decide whether to do the Iron Man 1 and 2 showing or not. It seems like it might be fun, but I have the first one on DVD, so it's not like I need a refresher.

Also curious about the IMAX, whether it's worth the extra dough. Although I hear that what fight sequences there are are incredible.

JD10367
04-30-2010, 04:52 PM
Oh, and i dont think anything was filmed in IMAX specifically?

I had heard that they'd used the IMAX camera for some scenes like "The Dark Knight". Apparently, that was false. I'm at Reel 33 (almost the end) and, alas, no IMAX.

So its probably another one of those IMAX stretch jobs that doesnt fill the whole screen (ala, Star Trek)..right?

IMAX is an almost-square format, like TV. Thus, Hollywood films (usually filmed in a very rectangular format) appear letterboxed on an IMAX screen. The image is still bigger than on a 35 screen, but it kills me to see all that wasted dark real estate. When they use it, like Nolan did with "Dark Knight" and Bay did with "Transformers 2", the effect is awesome. "Tron Legacy" will not have IMAX-shot scenes, but they filmed it in a more square format (Super 65 IIRC) so the stuff that usually gets cropped off-screen in 35 will be visible in certain IMAX scenes. If you catch the "Tron" trailer in IMAX, you'll see the screen size jump to a larger format when they enter the computer world.

JD10367
05-04-2010, 01:13 AM
Okay, just came back from test-running "Iron Man 2", and I'm sad to report... it's pretty blah.

How they can manage to f**k up superhero films this way is beyond me. But they manage.

It's not that I didn't enjoy it. I did. Of course, I also saw it in IMAX. For free. And I like Downey's portrayal because I think he nails the Tony Stark character perfectly... although, having said that, even that wore thin after a while. Because the movie was more Merchant-Ivory chick-flick than anything else. Two hours and almost all of it was people talking. How the **** do you make a superhero action movie, without any superhero action?!? Pretty much everything in the trailer is the only action. Again, it's got some qualities: it has some humor, it has some fanboy "this is Chapter Two" stuff, Gwyneth is pretty and Scarlett is hot (and even there they ****ed it up by underutilizing her), and Jackson's got his good cameos. But for people who go to this film expecting a lot of superhero action... it ain't there.

Someone complained that there were too many villians? There were almost none! There was Mickey Rourke's Russian, and the smarmy schmuck who is in competition with Stark for weapons contracts. And near the end they threw in a bunch of battle robots. That's it. There was the early scene where Rourke goes after Starke at the Monaco Grand Prix, and that was pretty much it for Iron Man interaction with baddies. After he takes care of the battle robots, Rourke does show up in his own Iron Man suit... and their "battle royale" lasts all of maybe 2 minutes on screen!

The plot seemed haphazard and often pointless. Basically, aside from furthering the Avengers story a bit, the only thing we learn in this movie is: that Stark upgrades his chest power-pack... and even how that happens is silly and nonsensical, having to do with his dad hiding some "unknown element's" description in a frigging EPCOT Center-style map. Incredibly dumb. If his father knew about this element, why not simply leave the knowledge in a note for his kid? Even if the father didn't have the technical ability to harness the element, why go all "National Treasure" on it? It was a silly plot device.

The editing was also very WTF. There were talking scenes that ran too long, extraneous scenes with the Russian and the other weapons manufacturer that really didn't need to be there... and, again, not enough action scenes. It was a pretty confounding film: "Iron Man 2", with barely any Iron Man. I kept thinking, "Okay, the story's really gonna start any minute now... any minute now, it's gonna pick up with an action scene or something... any minute now..." And a half-hour went by, and then an hour went by...

If you like Downey, you'll enjoy it okay enough. If you're a fanboy, you might not mind, thinking, "Okay, that was another chapter in the story". But I think most people who go see this are gonna sit there for two hours, glassy-eyed, and go, "Huh? What the **** was that?" I mean, I think I could've written a better story. Hell, the plot of the first "Spiderman", and even the third "Spiderman", blew this out of the water in terms of having actual fights and villians... and those two films weren't that great.

Deberg_1990
05-04-2010, 07:31 AM
Okay, just came back from test-running "Iron Man 2", and I'm sad to report... it's pretty blah.

How they can manage to f**k up superhero films this way is beyond me. But they manage.

The first one didnt have alot of action either. Apparently, Faverau doesnt like action that much??

Deberg_1990
05-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Oh wow....Cloverfield might have a sequel. Rumours of a secret trailer attached to Iron Man 2 this weekend. Sweet!!

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-motion-captured/posts/want-to-know-the-title-of-the-secret-jj-abrams-film

........For example, I can tell you that the film is called "Super 8." I can also tell you that it is rumored to be a "Cloverfield" sequel. How it ties in to the first film is unclear at this point, but I would imagine the trailer will make that connection explicit so that audiences basically walk out after two hours of amazing Iron Man action talking about a two minute trailer as the most exciting thing they saw. What I can't tell you is what you're actually going to see in the trailer, and frankly, I don't want to know yet.

It appears that Abrams will not be directing this film, and the more I've poked into it, the more convinced I am that this is not the movie that Abrams is rumored to be teaming with Steven Spielberg to make. At first, I thought they were connected, but if this is a "Cloverfield" follow-up, I have trouble believing Spielberg would suddenly jump onboard now. Instead, that's most likely a different secret Abrams project.

Prints of "Iron Man 2" are already showing up at theaters nationwide, and all of those prints come with a final reel locked in a film canister that has a coded electronic lock on it. Check this out:

You cannot use your code to open that canister until Thursday afternoon, meaning projectionists are going to have to work quickly to get their prints put together in time for the midnight screenings, especially if they plan to do a tech run first. The reason for that secrecy is not only the easter egg scene at the very end of the film after all the credits, but also because the "Super 8" trailer is in that can, ready to be built onto the prints.

Shooting a teaser trailer for a film that hasn't been made yet is uncommon enough, but the idea of doing it under a fake title and even tricking the crew into thinking they're working on a remake of a teen sex comedy is downright fiendish. I love the lengths that Abrams and crew go to on these surprises, and knowing just this little bit that we know now, I'm dying to see what "Super 8" is, if it really does tie in to "Cloverfield," and exactly how Abrams has baited this particular hook.

Game on, JJ. Let's see what you've done this time

JD10367
05-04-2010, 08:50 AM
The scene at the end? Sums up the movie, IMO... ...a 90-second scene of an agent driving through the desert, arriving at what looks like a big hole in the ground, saying something like "we found it" into a cellphone, and the last shot looks like... I dunno, a handle of some sort, like on a sword. WTF? They got "Cloverfield" out of that? 99% of the people won't stay to see it, and the ones who do will be mystified and disappointed... just like the rest of the film.

JD10367
05-04-2010, 08:55 AM
The scene at the end? Sums up the movie, IMO... ...a 90-second scene of an agent driving through the desert, arriving at what looks like a big hole in the ground, saying something like "we found it" into a cellphone, and the last shot looks like... I dunno, a handle of some sort, like on a sword. WTF? They got "Cloverfield" out of that? 99% of the people won't stay to see it, and the ones who do will be mystified and disappointed... just like the rest of the film.

EDIT: I guess I didn't read that story well enough... I think my reference is to the Easter Egg final scene, because I didn't get the trailer they speak of.

Deberg_1990
05-04-2010, 09:58 AM
EDIT: I guess I didn't read that story well enough... I think my reference is to the Easter Egg final scene, because I didn't get the trailer they speak of.

Yea, what you mentioned above:

Is a reference to Thor perhaps?

The Cloverfield 2 rumors are a seperate trailer that would run before IM2.

Sure-Oz
05-04-2010, 10:22 AM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/iron_man_2/

76% so far, still solid. I'd say it's really hard to top the 1st one. I also heard this movie is really setting up the avengers. I am sure i will like it.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-04-2010, 10:36 PM

76% so far, still solid. I'd say it's really hard to top the 1st one. I also heard this movie is really setting up the avengers. I am sure i will like it.

What's the avengers?

keg in kc
05-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Just pulled the trigger on the Thursday night Iron Man 1 & 2 double-feature.

Sure-Oz
05-04-2010, 11:10 PM
What's the avengers?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avengers_%28comics%29

Deberg_1990
05-05-2010, 11:24 AM
More info on JJ Abrams secret "Super 8" trailer:

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/05/vulture_exclusive_details_of_j.html

We have exclusive details on the trailer for the J.J. Abrams–produced Super 8, which will unspool at 12:01 am Thursday night in front of Iron Man 2. We feel compelled to insert a spoiler alert — read no further if you just want it to be a surprise! — lest a livid Cloverfield fan hurl an icy Slusho! in our direction. Here's what we know for certain ...

Insiders familiar with the trailer tell us that it shows a bunch of kids who are shooting a movie with a Super 8 camera in the seventies or eighties. When they develop the film, they notice that there's an alien creature in the frame. Our sources also say that Super 8 is absolutely connected to 2008's Cloverfield (possibly a prequel, but not a sequel).

Whether the actual Super 8 movie will be set in the seventies, eighties, or present day is anyone's guess. And yet, just this scrap of information will have fans obsessing for months. Advantage yours, Abrams.

Sure-Oz
05-05-2010, 12:05 PM

at 71% now, certified fresh but it's not close to the 93% the original got. I am sure i will still like it.

FAX
05-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks for posting this, Mr. Tribal Warfare. This is the best trailer I've seen so far. Very exciting.

And, although some critics have panned this one, I don't care what they say. I'm going to love this movie.

Iron Man rocks.

FAX

Deberg_1990
05-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Abrams now denying its a Cloverfield sequel..whos knows?

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/05/jj_abrams_super_8_has_absolute.html

Whats the word JD, have you unlocked it yet??

Sure-Oz
05-06-2010, 09:28 AM
69% on RT

Deberg_1990
05-06-2010, 09:39 AM
69% on RT

i rarely listen to critics and fanboys on "genre" flicks.

Im one of the few who enjoyed Spiderman 3.

Pro critics tend to be "above" flicks like this....fanboys tend to get too emotionally attached to the original source material when reviewing.

Sure-Oz
05-06-2010, 11:07 AM
i rarely listen to critics and fanboys on "genre" flicks.

Im one of the few who enjoyed Spiderman 3.

Pro critics tend to be "above" flicks like this....fanboys tend to get too emotionally attached to the original source material when reviewing.

I hear ya...I am sure i'll love it. its at 70% now anything 60% and above seems to be solid

Consensus: It isn't quite the breath of fresh air that Iron Man was, but this sequel comes close with solid performances and an action-packed plot.

RedNFeisty
05-06-2010, 11:14 AM
I can't wait to see this movie!! I already have a date and everything, my son is just as stoked to go with me!

RedNFeisty
05-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Not Iron Man related, but I read a few years back they were going to make 3 Superman, Batman movies, then bring them together. Then I also read they were going to do the same to bring out the Avengers. If done correctly, it should be sweet!

Sure-Oz
05-06-2010, 12:10 PM
I am going to try and see this next weekend at the AMC downtown with the comfy seats and food. Probably will get a hotel and make a nice evening at the P&L as well after seeing that in the late afternoon.

Deberg_1990
05-06-2010, 12:11 PM
I am going to try and see this next weekend at the AMC downtown with the comfy seats and food. Probably will get a hotel and make a nice evening at the P&L as well after seeing that in the late afternoon.

Do they have those D-Box (rumble seats) up in KC yet? where they charge you like $20 a ticket?

Complete gimmick of course, but i might try it once.

jiveturkey
05-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Do they have those D-Box (rumble seats) up in KC yet? where they charge you like $20 a ticket?

Complete gimmick of course, but i might try it once.

The downtown theater that he mentioned has those seats. They don't charge extra for the rumble though.

3D and dinning theaters are upcharge.

Bowser
05-06-2010, 01:20 PM
They didn't shoot this film in IMAX, meaning they pulled it off post-production, correct? Doesn't that mean you should avoid 3-D of this film at any cost?

Chiefs Rool
05-06-2010, 04:11 PM
I can't wait to see this

keg in kc
05-06-2010, 04:39 PM
Little over 7 hours to go. Seeing the original in just over 4.

bowener
05-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Girlfriend and I are going to the 12:10 release tonight, the 12:02 was sold out here in CoMo. Im pretty lucky to have a girl that is as excited as me to see this movie at midnight in a packed theater.

JD10367
05-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Abrams now denying its a Cloverfield sequel..whos knows?

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/05/jj_abrams_super_8_has_absolute.html

Whats the word JD, have you unlocked it yet??

No IMAX trailer for it. IMAX releases usually aren't announced this far ahead, and the trailers certainly don't come out this early, if at all. (They never made an IMAX trailer for "Iron Man 2".)

JD10367
05-06-2010, 06:29 PM
They didn't shoot this film in IMAX, meaning they pulled it off post-production, correct? Doesn't that mean you should avoid 3-D of this film at any cost?

#1: It's not in 3D.

#2: No, they did not film it in IMAX.

#3: No, that doesn't mean you should avoid seeing it in IMAX. Nothing from Hollywood has been "made in IMAX" yet, aside from the select scenes in "The Dark Knight" and "Transformers 2". All the Hollywood IMAX films have been upconverted digitally. They letterbox on the IMAX screen. But even with that, they're much sharper, steadier, and--most importantly--larger, if you see it on a real IMAX screen--than the 35 prints are. I run a film in IMAX, and then I see it in 35 and I want to puke. Small, blurry, shaky. If you have a full-size IMAX, you're always better off seeing it there than in 35.

keg in kc
05-06-2010, 07:22 PM
No IMAX trailer for it. IMAX releases usually aren't announced this far ahead, and the trailers certainly don't come out this early, if at all. (They never made an IMAX trailer for "Iron Man 2".)That's too bad, I was looking forward to seeing it. Ah well, I'm sure it'll be online soon.

Sure-Oz
05-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Girlfriend and I are going to the 12:10 release tonight, the 12:02 was sold out here in CoMo. Im pretty lucky to have a girl that is as excited as me to see this movie at midnight in a packed theater.

No one cares about you and your girl

have fun tonight, and let us know how it went.:thumb:

Sure-Oz
05-06-2010, 07:26 PM
The downtown theater that he mentioned has those seats. They don't charge extra for the rumble though.

3D and dinning theaters are upcharge.

Yep, what Jive said...i heard it's fun to see a movie down there.

keg in kc
05-06-2010, 07:29 PM
No one cares about you and your girlSpeak for yourself, I was going to sit on the other side of her and hope she jerks off the wrong guy once the lights go down.

Sure-Oz
05-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Speak for yourself, I was going to sit on the other side of her and hope she jerks off the wrong guy once the lights go down.

LMAO

JD10367
05-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Speak for yourself, I was going to sit on the other side of her and hope she jerks off the wrong guy once the lights go down.

The old "hole in the bottom of the popcorn bucket" trick, eh?

keg in kc
05-07-2010, 02:37 AM
I loved it.

Was great watching the first one right before it. Felt like the second one built on it, and like it's building towards more in the future, but it was a good movie all on its own.

And the post-credits scene...awesome.

Tribal Warfare
05-07-2010, 02:48 AM
I thhought the movie was badass

Tribal Warfare
05-07-2010, 02:50 AM
I loved it.

Was great watching the first one right before it. Felt like the second one built on it, and like it's building towards more in the future, but it was a good movie all on its own.

The strength of Valhalla is coming

irishjayhawk
05-07-2010, 02:51 AM
I loved it.

It's hard to say which one I liked more but make no mistake IM2 is no Matrix Reloaded or Dead Man's Chest. It's more towards Spidey 2 or X2 (though, those were both far and away better than the originals, IMO).

Two things: anyone that says "all they did was stand around and talk" clearly hasn't watched IM1 in a while. It's the same exact mold.

Best part of the double feature was the crowd universally booing Twilight's trailer. Close second: Inception trailer and it's music.

bowener
05-07-2010, 03:13 AM
Loved it!

Felt like watching the first one in a great way.

If somebody says that there are too many enemies... no way! It is really only the same enemy, just kind of combined really... for a bit, and I guess Tony is his own enemy as always, but it was well balanced IMO.

It was very well done again, I don't care how long they drag this franchise on for as long as they keep finding ways to make it work! Tony Stark is now one of my favorite film personas.

ZootedGranny
05-07-2010, 04:11 AM
Best part of the double feature was the crowd universally booing Twilight's trailer. Close second: Inception trailer and it's music.

I absolutely can't wait to see Inception. I haven't been this amped up for a movie in a while. When they dropped the first trailer x months ago, and I saw the city fold upon itself on some Dark City-tip, I was sold.

Guru
05-07-2010, 04:42 AM
OK, now I am feeling better about wanting to see this again.

kysirsoze
05-07-2010, 05:57 AM
I agree with most posters. It was great. It fulfilled the role the second film is supposed to. I read last week that when planning this sequel they used Empire Strikes Back as inspiration. I think that sort of storytelling shines through here. (Not in a literal sense, of course.)

It was also just fun as hell.

Deberg_1990
05-07-2010, 07:20 AM
JJ Abrams Super 8 trailer shows up on youtube.....wont last long..

and of course its nothing like we were lead to believe.....JJ does it again.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NECsrx7VC3I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NECsrx7VC3I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

jiveturkey
05-07-2010, 08:22 AM
Yep, what Jive said...i heard it's fun to see a movie down there.
It's my favorite spot in town. I'm heading down tonight to catch this flick.

Sure-Oz
05-07-2010, 10:33 AM
It's my favorite spot in town. I'm heading down tonight to catch this flick.

I'm pretty excited to see go there for the first time.

JD10367
05-07-2010, 11:56 AM
JJ Abrams Super 8 trailer shows up on youtube.....wont last long..

and of course its nothing like we were lead to believe.....JJ does it again.

Looks like your typical "it's gonna get you!" film ("Jaws", "Alien", any number of horror films).

JD10367
05-07-2010, 11:57 AM
I absolutely can't wait to see Inception. I haven't been this amped up for a movie in a while. When they dropped the first trailer x months ago, and I saw the city fold upon itself on some Dark City-tip, I was sold.

I'm torn on it. The music is good, the editing of the trailer is good, and the CGI scenes certainly looked good in IMAX. Not sure what the plot is... seems like "The Matrix" meets "Brainstorm", maybe?

JD10367
05-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Two things: anyone that says "all they did was stand around and talk" clearly hasn't watched IM1 in a while. It's the same exact mold.

While it's true I haven't seen "IM1" in a while, I don't remember it being as devoid of action as this flick. Just offhand, I remember the first one having action scenes like his initial capture, his escape from the cave (with the homemade suit), ass-kicking in Afghanistan, his flight/fight with the fighter jets, the big end-battle... this one basically had

the scene at the Grand Prix, and then the end sequence of battling the automated suits, finishing up with a 90-second fight with Rourke.

It just seems like, for a 2-hour superhero action film, it had very little superhero and very little action.

Again, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it because I like Downey, I like his portrayal, and I like the comic. I just think most people who go to this expecting to watch a lot of shit get blowed up is going to think there's too much talking. It'll do okay, especially since "The Dark Knight" has whetted peoples' appetite for a complicated character, but it could've been better IMO.

I do agree that it's set up as a mid-chapter, and the next film(s) should be kick-ass as they introduce more characters.

Deberg_1990
05-07-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm torn on it. The music is good, the editing of the trailer is good, and the CGI scenes certainly looked good in IMAX. Not sure what the plot is... seems like "The Matrix" meets "Brainstorm", maybe?

Inception will be the best film of the summer. You heard it here first.

irishjayhawk
05-07-2010, 12:42 PM

Here's the only current downside to Inception: it's helmed by Christopher Nolan. Which means for a lot of people, he can do no wrong and thus could be a convoluted mess but people would jizz themselves over it.

Sure-Oz
05-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Here's the only current downside to Inception: it's helmed by Christopher Nolan. Which means for a lot of people, he can do no wrong and thus could be a convoluted mess but people would jizz themselves over it.

THE DARK KNIGHT!111111111111111111111111111111111

keg in kc
05-07-2010, 03:35 PM
It's hard to say which one I liked more but make no mistake IM2 is no Matrix Reloaded or Dead Man's Chest. It's more towards Spidey 2 or X2 (though, those were both far and away better than the originals, IMO).

Best part of the double feature was the crowd universally booing Twilight's trailer. Close second: Inception trailer and it's music.Third best part was everybody booing when it turns out half the trailers are in 3d and the ****sticks at studio 30 didn't hand out glasses. LMAO

I've been looking forward to Inception since the first trailer hit months ago. They're finally giving some things away in the new trailer, but not enough that I have any idea wtf is going on.

keg in kc
05-07-2010, 03:44 PM
While it's true I haven't seen "IM1" in a while, I don't remember it being as devoid of action as this flick. Just offhand, I remember the first one having action scenes like his initial capture, his escape from the cave (with the homemade suit), ass-kicking in Afghanistan, his flight/fight with the fighter jets, the big end-battle... this one basically had

the scene at the Grand Prix, and then the end sequence of battling the automated suits, finishing up with a 90-second fight with Rourke.

It just seems like, for a 2-hour superhero action film, it had very little superhero and very little action..The first one was no more of a "superhero action movie" than the second. They were both very heavy on character interaction. Which is a big part of what made the first two Spider-man movies as well as the first two X-Men films great - they're good "movies", in a general sense, rather than trying to be good "superhero action movies," there's more there than cool powers and exploding shit. And that's what's made this latest generation of comic book movies (these two and the two batman films) blow away anything that's come before.

FWIW, you left out a major (important) fight sequence from the new one, as well Rhodey and Stark at Stark's birthday party

What's going to be interesting now is seeing whether Batman or Iron Man can come up with a conclusion to the trilogy. Because Superman couldn't, Spider-Man couldn't and X-Men couldn't.

Guru
05-07-2010, 04:24 PM
In the defense of Superman and and X-men, they also had director issues.

Sure-Oz
05-07-2010, 04:28 PM

Agreed....they both ending really crappy.

keg in kc
05-07-2010, 04:58 PM
In the defense of Superman and and X-men, they also had director issues.And Raimi wanted The Vulture and not Venom in SM3. Lots of behind the scenes conflict with the producers apparently.

Deberg_1990
05-07-2010, 05:08 PM

X-Men and the Superman Returns movie from a few years ago are tied together in suck.

Singer wanted to finish the X-Men trilogy that he started, then got pissed of at FOX because they wanted to rush him to make the movie.

They had a huge falling out, he moved to WB and took on the Superman movie, which was decent in spurts, but overall was lacking.

FOX then hired Brett Rattner (hired gun) to just come in a wrap up the trilogy to meet a release date.

So in the end, they both ended up the suck.

keg in kc
05-07-2010, 05:11 PM
I wasn't even talking about Superman Returns, I was talking about the original 3rd one from the 80's with Richard Pryor. Although I get how you were making the connection to the 3rd X-Men.

I'm one of the few people who actually liked Superman Returns.

Deberg_1990
05-07-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm one of the few people who actually liked Superman Returns.

Its not awful......its just blah. Which in a way is just as bad, because Superman has so much potential.

Guru
05-07-2010, 05:17 PM
What I would really like to see is how Donner really wanted to end the first Superman. The Donner Cut of Superman II was top notch.

Deberg_1990
05-07-2010, 05:43 PM

OK, new Inception trailer just leaked......outstanding...tell me this doesnt look better than anything else out there this summer??

<object width="480" height="199"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xd83rl"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xd83rl" width="480" height="199" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object>

JD10367
05-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Third best part was everybody booing when it turns out half the trailers are in 3d and the ****sticks at studio 30 didn't hand out glasses. LMAO

Most IMAX systems can't run 3D and then 2D. What you're seeing is just one eye of the two-eye 3D trailer. (For example, I'm using the Right Eye print of my "Toy Story 3", "Tron: Legacy", and "Shrek 4" trailers.) Most projectors are running two film prints for 3D, through one projector--and, unlike 35 millimeter film, you can't tail out through the projector with IMAX because it will damage things. (They can run 2D and then 3D but only if they have an eye of totally black film to run alongside the 2D trailer.)

Besides, even if they could do it, they're not going to hand out 400 pairs of 3D glasses and have them destroyed/stolen simply to show a couple of trailers (not to mention the additional time involved in distributing, collecting, and cleaning them).

JD10367
05-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Its not awful......its just blah. Which in a way is just as bad, because Superman has so much potential.

I also liked "Superman Returns". But, actually, I'd like to address the last part of your sentence.

The problem with the Superman character is that he's always been very one-dimensional. Superman is almost like Dick Tracy in his general blandness. Nowadays, people like angst and complexity in their heroes, hence the reason guys like Batman and Iron Man are popular. So the directors like Raimi and Singer try to inject some angst and complexity where it's hard to do so (Spiderman, Superman) and it falls flat.

One of the reasons I think "Smallville" has been popular is because it's been able to show some angst and complexity in the character (going through teen years, first loves, dealing with being an alien, parental death, etc.,.).

Even the Christopher Reeve version, as good as it was for the time, is very campy and probably would not be that well received today IMO. It's from a different era.

I'm not sure they can ever really do a good Superman story due to the inherent problems with the character. People prefer a superhero who takes his path because of some torturous personal experience either mental or physical. Because the Superman character was sent to Earth as a baby, he really didn't get that. Hell, even Spiderman was able to blame himself for his uncle's death and generate some emotional angst there.

Deberg_1990
05-07-2010, 06:16 PM
I also liked "Superman Returns". But, actually, I'd like to address the last part of your sentence.

The problem with the Superman character is that he's always been very one-dimensional. Superman is almost like Dick Tracy in his general blandness. Nowadays, people like angst and complexity in their heroes, hence the reason guys like Batman and Iron Man are popular. So the directors like Raimi and Singer try to inject some angst and complexity where it's hard to do so (Spiderman, Superman) and it falls flat.

One of the reasons I think "Smallville" has been popular is because it's been able to show some angst and complexity in the character (going through teen years, first loves, dealing with being an alien, parental death, etc.,.).

Even the Christopher Reeve version, as good as it was for the time, is very campy and probably would not be that well received today IMO. It's from a different era.

I'm not sure they can ever really do a good Superman story due to the inherent problems with the character. People prefer a superhero who takes his path because of some torturous personal experience either mental or physical. Because the Superman character was sent to Earth as a baby, he really didn't get that. Hell, even Spiderman was able to blame himself for his uncle's death and generate some emotional angst there.

I think i would agree with everything you just said.

Im not sure how you could make a really good Superman movie, but surely someone could do it.

Singer tried for too much angst,..he could have lightened it up a bit.

Plus, the villian was weak. I want to see Superman battle some giant aliens or robots...something thats his match.

All in all, i would consider that movie a noble failure.

Guru
05-07-2010, 07:26 PM
I don't really like the Lex Luthor angles in the movies either. I would rather just see Superman fight more Zod like characters. That was the only thing I didn't care for in Superman Returns. I didn't want to see Luthor again. He is a great villian but not necessary for every single movie.

keg in kc
05-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Most IMAX systems can't run 3D and then 2D. What you're seeing is just one eye of the two-eye 3D trailer. (For example, I'm using the Right Eye print of my "Toy Story 3", "Tron: Legacy", and "Shrek 4" trailers.) Most projectors are running two film prints for 3D, through one projector--and, unlike 35 millimeter film, you can't tail out through the projector with IMAX because it will damage things. (They can run 2D and then 3D but only if they have an eye of totally black film to run alongside the 2D trailer.)

Besides, even if they could do it, they're not going to hand out 400 pairs of 3D glasses and have them destroyed/stolen simply to show a couple of trailers (not to mention the additional time involved in distributing, collecting, and cleaning them).Whatever it was, it was hilarious. The trailers were skewed beyond recognition. Audience was not happy.

(I didn't care, they were crappy trailers for movies I'm not interested in, except for Tron Legacy, and it was an old trailer)

Guru
05-07-2010, 07:44 PM
the only movies I am interested in this year are Iron Man, A Team, Inception and Robin Hood. As far as what movies I will actually go to a full price theater for are Inception and Iron Man

keg in kc
05-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Even the Christopher Reeve version, as good as it was for the time, is very campy and probably would not be that well received today IMO. It's from a different era.I can't even watch those now. They're horrible when compared to modern films. Pure velveeta.

The problem with Superman Returns wasn't the angst, it was that they made it a sequel to Superman 2 (a problem in and of itself, but that's not what I'm getting at here - let's forget about the part where Superman says "I won't let you down again" or whatever it was at the end of 2 and then Returns starts with him having been gone for 5 years...) but didn't actually do anything during the movie to palpably tie it to the other films. They cut out the part with him going back to Krypton, which probably would have been one of the most important sequences of the movie.

Anyway, they should have rebooted completely. I won't say that often, not a fan of reboots in general, but that's what they should have done with Superman. That said, the only real problem I had with the movie was the kid. I hated the stupid fucking kid.

Lex Luthor works for me. When they reboot, I hope he's the central villain at the beginning. He's iconic. Then later spread out.

I also hope DC does what Marvel is doing, and finds a way to tie Green Lantern and the other films to Superman. But with Nolan running it, I don't expect that to happen (he's not doing it with Batman - Nolan's Batman's (so far) in his own version of the DC universe where there are no super powers).

Deberg_1990
05-07-2010, 08:52 PM
I also hope DC does what Marvel is doing, and finds a way to tie Green Lantern and the other films to Superman. But with Nolan running it, I don't expect that to happen (he's not doing it with Batman - Nolan's Batman's (so far) in his own version of the DC universe where there are no super powers).

Yea, Nolan has already said he wont ever bring in Robin. He thinks there is no way you can make the character not seem cheesy.

Sure-Oz
05-07-2010, 10:44 PM
X3 and Spidey 3 were pretty bad...Superman was meh

DBOSHO
05-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Im in the minority but i really liked spidey 3. I wouldve liked more venom, but i didnt think it was bad.

The "walking down the street dancing" scene wrecks it for alot of ppl

jiveturkey
05-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Saw Iron Man this evening and really liked it. The wife did not.

Some nerd next to me mentioned that the item in the ground at the end of the credits was the Hammer of Thor. I then said Great Odin's raven and he looked at me like I was crazy.

He also mentioned during the film that the shield at the bottom of the crate was Captain America's shield.

jiveturkey
05-07-2010, 11:11 PM
And Inception looks like the movie of the year for me. I hate to set my expectations that high but unfortunately that's where I stand.

Sure-Oz
05-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Im in the minority but i really liked spidey 3. I wouldve liked more venom, but i didnt think it was bad.

The "walking down the street dancing" scene wrecks it for alot of ppl

It's hilarious that everytime Venom had to speak he had to show his human face, wtf

irishjayhawk
05-07-2010, 11:14 PM

This was exactly what I was going to point out. I think a Bryan Singer X3 would have been vastly different than Ratner's - script and otherwise.

Spidey 3 was a studio vs producer vs director crapfest and it showed. In fact, I applaud Raimi for producing such a spectacular spoof on itself to spite them. What else could the emo spiderman scene represent?

irishjayhawk
05-07-2010, 11:15 PM
And Inception looks like the movie of the year for me. I hate to set my expectations that high but unfortunately that's where I stand.

Currently, FWIW, the top movie on my list is How To Train Your Dragon. And nothing has come close. IM2 was good but it's no HTTYD.

Sure-Oz
05-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Currently, FWIW, the top movie on my list is How To Train Your Dragon. And nothing has come close. IM2 was good but it's no HTTYD.

I enjoyed HTTYD, still pumped to see Iron Man.

keg in kc
05-08-2010, 12:12 AM
Want to link the Super8 trailer, but I can't find a version online. I saw it shortly after I returned home from the movie last night, but it looks like the fun police have been hard at work on that one.

Here's the Inception Trailer:

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="600" height="444" id="gorillaPlayer_fsr005"><embed src="http://cdn.springboard.gorillanation.com/storage/xplayer/yo033.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="600" height="444" allowscriptaccess="always" swliveconnect="true" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="e=4bffc0037b3a3a49328d685cccfc7c21cc002973d57a44951a38fddf065f5c696a66be9b89ee2d2f0947d4e15d253124c7 d296b9a2a5d695fdd446d15f64f11765e4883e72ea9b28f3c5d90b018a62a02723d09accafe3f4ff222bb8b0&width=600&height=444&pid=fsr005&autostart=false&allowscriptaccess=always&usefullscreen=true&esnapshot=4bffc0037b3a3a473a9a2f4e92e87c23c611257ac87106801020f1d01e4d1c6b7162fe81d5ec2b2e434dcaa26b 2d3724d3d5a0b7a8fec389ffd84e9b4439bb186dac&trueurl=http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/inception-trailer-christopher-nolan.php"></embed></object>

Guru
05-08-2010, 12:50 AM
Can. Not. Wait. For. Inception.

FAX
05-08-2010, 01:03 AM
Great movie. Better than I expected. The ensemble was excellent. I have no idea why people are panning this film. It's the best sequel I've seen ... other than The Dark Knight. Iron Man rocks.

Highly recommended.

FAX

keg in kc
05-08-2010, 04:10 AM
Great movie. Better than I expected. The ensemble was excellent. I have no idea why people are panning this film. It's the best sequel I've seen ... other than The Dark Knight. Iron Man rocks.

Highly recommended.

FAXI don't think it helps that people some have this kind of idealized recollection of the first one. Although you'd think that would make them more responsive to the second, since it's built almost exactly the same way. Same style, same sense of humor, same pace, same action.

Although maybe the quality of the first one makes anything short of a religious experience with the second seem like a let-down.

Which is what I think's going to happen with Batman 3. It's going to have a very difficult time being more than Dark Knight was.

Tribal Warfare
05-08-2010, 07:19 AM
Which is what I think's going to happen with Batman 3. It's going to have a very difficult time being more than Dark Knight was.

That's where studios fuck up, they try to make the film "bigger and better" instead of focusing on making a good movie with a cohesive plot to go with it.

JD10367
05-08-2010, 08:07 AM
I think i would agree with everything you just said.

Im not sure how you could make a really good Superman movie, but surely someone could do it.

Well, one thing about Superman that's always intrigued me is the fact that they say "power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely". It was too easy for them to simply say, "He grew up in a loving human family and learned great morals, and lo, a big Boy Scout was born." It fit the times (especially given the World Wars and the Depression in between them). In today's world, though, we can question it and people are interested in it: what would happen if he went too far? If he got addicted to the fact that nothing (well, almost nothing) could kick his ass? Super speed, super strength, x-ray vision... you can easily let your vices overwhelm you with those abilities. The first "Superman" caved into it only when Lois Lane (Margot Kidder) died and he spun the earth backwards to reverse time (which, BTW, was incredibly stupid and wouldn't wash nowadays). But what if, in a modern retelling, Lois was killed by some baddie? Would Supes go whoop-ass on him to the point of breaking his own code? If he killed the guy, would the genie be out of the bottle for him? There's potential there.

JD10367
05-08-2010, 08:09 AM
Whatever it was, it was hilarious. The trailers were skewed beyond recognition. Audience was not happy.

Okay, now I'm thinking you might have seen it on a digital projector, and they accidently loaded the 3D trailers into the show, and you were seeing the double-image of 3D without glasses on. That sounds like a screw up.

FAX
05-08-2010, 08:38 AM
I don't think it helps that people some have this kind of idealized recollection of the first one. Although you'd think that would make them more responsive to the second, since it's built almost exactly the same way. Same style, same sense of humor, same pace, same action.

Although maybe the quality of the first one makes anything short of a religious experience with the second seem like a let-down.

I think there's a lot of truth to this notion, Mr. keg in kc. Iron Man is/was one of my favorite, all-time movies so I was worried that this one wouldn't meet my expectations. That's why I tried really hard to suspend judgment and watch the movie with clear eyes.

Frankly, the movie stands well on its own and the criticisms are, for the most part, unfounded in my view. The main thing is that Iron Man won in the end and we're well on our way to an Avengers movie. Sometimes I think people need to relax and just enjoy the moment(s) instead of over-analyzing every single detail. It's a great flick jammed with great believable performances and excellent action. And, when you think about it, what more could an audience want?

FAX

jiveturkey
05-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Which is what I think's going to happen with Batman 3. It's going to have a very difficult time being more than Dark Knight was.I was really worried about that going into Dark Knight. They blew me away once. I'm now hopeful that they can do it again.

Have any rumors surfaced about which villain they're going with in the next Batman flick?

Gravedigger
05-08-2010, 12:55 PM
I really liked Iron Man 2. I thought the soundtrack was better than the first and the villains were way better. Mickey Rourke was pretty outstanding in this movie, big shocker I know, and Sam Rockwell was really good as well. The humor was the same, witty back and forths, and in the end it was just as enjoyable as the first one. The only sad part was that the final fight scene between war machine iron man and vanko was really fast, I don't mind the end result but the choreography could've been more expansive. The last fight with Jeff Bridges in the first movie was like 15 minutes, in this movie its only 3 or 4. The two spend more time fighting the robot army then they do Rourke. Also the sound at the AMC 30 was really ****ing loud. Stay after the credits.

Deberg_1990
05-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Also the sound at the AMC 30 was really ****ing loud. Stay after the credits.

Thats something that annoys me sometimes...
Perhaps JD could chime in on this more, but sometimes theaters just crank the sound to the max.......i like it loud, but there has to be a delicate balance as well.

Maybe its the sound mix of the movie as well??

Gravedigger
05-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Perhaps JD could chime in on this more, but sometimes theaters just crank the sound to the max.......i like it loud, but there has to be a delicate balance as well.

My mom has sensitive ears and she doesn't usually need earplugs, similar to when we saw how to train your dragon in imax she was fine, but she didnt stay for more than 15 minutes. Got her money back though.

Valiant
05-08-2010, 05:36 PM
I don't think it helps that people some have this kind of idealized recollection of the first one. Although you'd think that would make them more responsive to the second, since it's built almost exactly the same way. Same style, same sense of humor, same pace, same action.

I thought 2 was better then the first one..

Valiant
05-08-2010, 05:39 PM
I think there's a lot of truth to this notion, Mr. keg in kc. Iron Man is/was one of my favorite, all-time movies so I was worried that this one wouldn't meet my expectations. That's why I tried really hard to suspend judgment and watch the movie with clear eyes.

Frankly, the movie stands well on its own and the criticisms are, for the most part, unfounded in my view. The main thing is that Iron Man won in the end and we're well on our way to an Avengers movie. Sometimes I think people need to relax and just enjoy the moment(s) instead of over-analyzing every single detail. It's a great flick jammed with great believable performances and excellent action. And, when you think about it, what more could an audience want?

FAX

I just cannot fathom in anyway how they can pull off Avengers without it being crap.. You will have to go avatar/Final fantasy movie companies and probably purely cgi to even stand a chance..

keg in kc
05-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Okay, now I'm thinking you might have seen it on a digital projector, and they accidently loaded the 3D trailers into the show, and you were seeing the double-image of 3D without glasses on. That sounds like a screw up.Yes, we were definitely seeing the 3d without glasses.

keg in kc
05-08-2010, 05:41 PM
I was really worried about that going into Dark Knight. They blew me away once. I'm now hopeful that they can do it again.

Have any rumors surfaced about which villain they're going with in the next Batman flick?Nothing solid. I think the popular speculation is The Riddler, but that's not coming from anybody involved with the movie.

JD10367
05-08-2010, 07:15 PM

Well, here's the deal with sound.

In IMAX, they're supposed to mix each soundtrack the same. They never do. I get some soundtracks that are ridiculously loud. If I catch it (i.e. if I stick my head out of the port glass window and give it a listen before I start running the film to the public) I might knock it down a bit. Usually it's more with trailers; I had to lower the "Toy Story 3" trailer -1.5db and the "Tron" trailer -3db. I left "Iron Man 2" alone, though, 'cause most of the movie is talking. Also, it makes a difference if the theater is full or empty as people suck up noise. Sometimes I get soundtracks where I need to pump up the narration track.

In 35? Fuhgeddaboudit. You have different soundtracks (Dolby Digital, DTS, THX, optical, etc.,.). Different projectors and sound systems. And the projectionists barely have time to thread the projectors, let alone check sound; if a customer comes out and complains that it's too loud, they'll lower it for that show, and if they say it's too soft, they'll raise it. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. It never hurts to ask them.

FAX
05-08-2010, 08:30 PM
I just cannot fathom in anyway how they can pull off Avengers without it being crap.. You will have to go avatar/Final fantasy movie companies and probably purely cgi to even stand a chance..

There's risk involved to be certain, Mr. Valiant. Much depends on the casting of Thor, I think. If they cast it well and if they focus on character development and keep the plot centered on one ... maybe two primary characters, it could work.

The way I see it ... if they keep everything centered around the characters as "people", it might lead to a limited amount of CGI effects and a better, overall film. There have been a lot of movies with relatively large ensemble casts that have been successful.

FAX

JD10367
05-08-2010, 08:54 PM
There's risk involved to be certain, Mr. Valiant. Much depends on the casting of Thor, I think. If they cast it well and if they focus on character development and keep the plot centered on one ... maybe two primary characters, it could work.

Ummm.... You're a bit late. Film's in post already.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800369/

keg in kc
05-08-2010, 09:08 PM
It's going to be interesting to see how both Thor and Captain America do.

Neither one is going to be anything like any other comic book film that's come out before. Much of Thor is supposedly in Valhalla, and much of Captain America is supposedly set in World War 2. I expect there is going to be a tremendous narrative and dramatic set to both of them. And I'm not sure how well that's going to play to the movie-going audience. The last Hulk was good, but they had trouble getting butts in the seats (although I still think the after-taste of Ang Lee's Hulk was part of that.)

I do think it helps that there are some established franchises that have raised the bar, though.

keg in kc
05-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Speaking of Thor...

Deberg_1990
05-09-2010, 12:28 AM
It's going to be interesting to see how both Thor and Captain America do.

Neither one is going to be anything like any other comic book film that's come out before. Much of Thor is supposedly in Valhalla, and much of Captain America is supposedly set in World War 2. I expect there is going to be a tremendous narrative and dramatic set to both of them. And I'm not sure how well that's going to play to the movie-going audience. The last Hulk was good, but they had trouble getting butts in the seats (although I still think the after-taste of Ang Lee's Hulk was part of that.)

I do think it helps that there are some established franchises that have raised the bar, though.

How can the Captain America movie be set in WW2 era if they plan to have him team up with a modern day Iron Man??

Deberg_1990
05-09-2010, 12:33 AM

They already have Josh (Buffy Tv series, Firefly, Dollhouse) Whedon to direct it.

If nothing else, dude is a damn fine writer. I trust him to do it right.

Reaper16
05-09-2010, 02:17 AM
IM2 is what I thought it would be -- an above average movie. It was fun & enjoyable, mostly during the non-battle scenes where Downey Jr., Rockwell and Rourke could just eat up scenery and get away with it. There was no way that it could be as good as the first one (because of the first film's first half) so I didn't expect it to be better or even as good. So I wasn't disappointed.

Silock
05-09-2010, 02:26 AM
I just got back from it. I liked it a lot. The shit at the end of the credits was lame as hell, though.

Reaper16
05-09-2010, 02:29 AM
I just got back from it. I liked it a lot. The shit at the end of the credits was lame as hell, though.
Thor is lame as Hell? You fuck off and you perish in flames, fucktaster.

Silock
05-09-2010, 02:49 AM
Thor fucking sucks.

Mr Luzcious
05-09-2010, 02:50 AM
Just got back from this as well.. I think I enjoyed it just as much as the first movie.

Only two years to go till that Avengers movie...

JD10367
05-09-2010, 07:58 AM
They already have Josh (Buffy Tv series, Firefly, Dollhouse) Whedon to direct it.

If nothing else, dude is a damn fine writer. I trust him to do it right.

Whedon's doing it? Excellent.

"Thor" was Kenneth Branagh. Also excellent.

"Captain America" is Joe Johnston. Decent resume, with some winners ("Hidalgo", "October Sky"), and others that are questionable but undeniably look pretty good visually ("The Rocketeer", "Jumanji", "Jurassic Park III").

Deberg_1990
05-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Whedon's doing it? Excellent.

"Thor" was Kenneth Branagh. Also excellent.

"Captain America" is Joe Johnston. Decent resume, with some winners ("Hidalgo", "October Sky"), and others that are questionable but undeniably look pretty good visually ("The Rocketeer", "Jumanji", "Jurassic Park III").

Yes, Whedon is doing it.

Branagh is an interesting choice for Thor. You would think he was "above" comic book movies.....

Johnston is up and down. Best movie he ever made was October Sky IMO.

Tribal Warfare
05-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Branagh is an interesting choice for Thor. You would think he was "above" comic book movies.....

Since what Nolan did with the Dark Knight, it's not looked down anymore

Sure-Oz
05-09-2010, 12:35 PM
IM2 is what I thought it would be -- an above average movie. It was fun & enjoyable, mostly during the non-battle scenes where Downey Jr., Rockwell and Rourke could just eat up scenery and get away with it. There was no way that it could be as good as the first one (because of the first film's first half) so I didn't expect it to be better or even as good. So I wasn't disappointed.
Worth seeing in theaters (doesnt matter ill go see it lol)

Reaper16
05-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Worth seeing in theaters (doesnt matter ill go see it lol)
It was worth it for me and I'm likely going to be one of the posters here that thinks the least of the movie.

58kcfan89
05-09-2010, 01:47 PM
I went to see IM2 last night & freakin' loved it. Then again, I'm a huge Iron Man mark, so as long as it didn't completely suck, I would have loved it. Thought Rourke and Downey both did a great job. Only 2 things that bugged me were the change in Rhodey's actor, but I got over that fairly quickly and the quick ending to the final battle.

Couple of questions for people who know more than I do (I was a fan of the TV show as a kid, never really got into the comics):

I assume Scarlett was supposed to be the Black Widow? I don't think I ever heard her referenced as anything other than Natalie... I didn't think she was used as much as she could have, but whatever.

And I didn't think Anton Vanko was Whiplash (pretty sure he was Crimson something and Whiplash was someone else...)... Anyone with clarification? Maybe I'm just confused.

So is there any confirmation on a 3rd IM movie (not Avengers, but specifically IM) or is it going to be awhile?

Sure-Oz
05-09-2010, 02:16 PM
It was worth it for me and I'm likely going to be one of the posters here that thinks the least of the movie.

Good to hear...thanks

Deberg_1990
05-09-2010, 03:26 PM
I wonder if they are going to work the new reboot of Spiderman into these flicks?

Or will he remain stand alone?

Reaper16
05-09-2010, 03:30 PM
I wonder if they are going to work the new reboot of Spiderman into these flicks?

Or will he remain stand alone?
Considering that Spidey 3, Fantastic Four 2, Ghost Rider, X-Men 3 and X-Men Origins: Wolverine were celluloid catastrofucks, I want those franchises to remain seperate from the continuity of the Marvel Universe being built by the Iron Man/Ed Norton Hulk/Capn' America/Thor/Avengers films.

Deberg_1990
05-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Considering that Spidey 3, Fantastic Four 2, Ghost Rider, X-Men 3 and X-Men Origins: Wolverine were celluloid catastro****s, I want those franchises to remain seperate from the continuity of the Marvel Universe being built by the Iron Man/Ed Norton Hulk/Capn' America/Thor/Avengers films.

Can we work Daredevil and Elektra in somewhere? ROFL

Reaper16
05-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Jesus. I forgot about them. Kill them with fire.

Fish
05-09-2010, 04:47 PM

You go to hell.... you go to hell and you die........ :D

DBOSHO
05-09-2010, 04:57 PM
I saw it last night. I thought it was pretty good. Worth the 10 bucks. The only thing i have a problem with is the final battle. Idk how to do spoilers so SPOILER AHEAD

i hated how quickly rourkes character was defeated. I cant stand it in superhero movies when they build up the villian to be the ultimate badass then they get beaten so quickly. Didnt like the ending at all.

Overall id say go see it, but dont think its going to be "dark knight" quality.

Mr Luzcious
05-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Considering that Spidey 3, Fantastic Four 2, Ghost Rider, X-Men 3 and X-Men Origins: Wolverine were celluloid catastro****s, I want those franchises to remain seperate from the continuity of the Marvel Universe being built by the Iron Man/Ed Norton Hulk/Capn' America/Thor/Avengers films.

If only we could "reboot" specific movies. If we could undo Spidey 3 but leave 1 and 2 intact...

Deberg_1990
05-09-2010, 05:26 PM
If only we could "reboot" specific movies. If we could undo Spidey 3 but leave 1 and 2 intact...

heh, thats kind of what they did with Incredible Hulk.

It served as a sequel to Hulk from 03, but also a reboot.....interesting how they managed that.

FAX
05-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Thor ****ing sucks.

Sorry to disagree with a poster of your unequaled reputation and intelligence, Mr. Silock, but Thor does not ****ing suck. Thor smashes all crap (both living and inanimate) with his awesome hammer of justice and kicks Loki and anyone else whom he dislikes right in the nutsack as necessary to bring harmony to the universe.

Thor is a badass. Perhaps, even, the most badass guy of all times.

FAX

Silock
05-09-2010, 05:55 PM
I can't stand reading Thor comics. Concept = great. Execution = lacking!

It's like the opposite of the Daredevil film.

FAX
05-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Ummm.... You're a bit late. Film's in post already.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800369/

Wow. That was fast.

Actually, I had no idea they were even making a "Thor" movie. Not paying enough attention, I guess. I thought they would introduce Thor in the Avengers. It's good news, though. And I like their selection for the lead. Can't wait to see it.

FAX

Reaper16
05-09-2010, 07:29 PM
I can't stand reading Thor comics. Concept = great. Execution = lacking!

It's like the opposite of the Daredevil film.
You have poor taste.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
05-09-2010, 07:31 PM
How can the Captain America movie be set in WW2 era if they plan to have him team up with a modern day Iron Man??

Very simple.

According to Avenger #4, circa 1964, Cap and Bucky were attempting to stop a missile sent by Baron Zemo toward New York City. They managed to change the direction but the missile explodes, killing Bucky and trapping Cap in ice in the Arctic.

After Sub-mariner got his butt kicked by the FF, he was wandering through Greenland, where he discovers a group of Eskimos who were worshiping a figure frozen in ice and tosses it deep into the ocean. Eventually, the Avenger's find him and manage to revive him.

So, getting him to "modern day" is going to be easy if they follow the comics at all.

Silock
05-09-2010, 08:28 PM
You have poor taste.

Your mama tastes poor!!!!

No, but seriously. What's the appeal of Thor?

Reaper16
05-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Your mama has tastes poor!!!!

No, but seriously. What's the appeal of Thor?
Its fairly literary in its themes. Obviously it appeals to Branaugh, Mr. Shakespearean Actor. There are parallels between the Thor books and Shakespeare's plays in the themes of power, betrayal, etc. Plus it is pretty metal with all of its Norse mythology tie-ins.

FAX
05-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Thor is a very different kind of super hero. I mean, he's actually a Norse God, for crying out loud. I think he was one of my favorites because there was a supernatural aspect to his character. Plus, he's a total rock star with the hair thing and the weird suit. Plus, what other super hero would have the cojones to make a friggin' hammer his weapon of choice?

Thor rocks.

FAX

Sure-Oz
05-09-2010, 09:02 PM
Just watched iron man 1 on epix1hd

Can't wait to see IM 2 this coming weekend

It made $130 MILL this weekend

ThaVirus
05-10-2010, 12:03 AM
Alright seriously, Thor is basically the gayest superhero ever created..

Reaper16
05-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Um...

http://m.blog.hu/ca/cartoonheroes/image/Anatole/Ambiguously-Gay-Duo.gif

Dicky McElephant
05-10-2010, 03:18 PM

:spock:

http://cinematicallycorrect.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/thor-01cover-cmykcrop.jpg

JD10367
05-10-2010, 09:04 PM
When anyone else thinks of Thor, do they picture Rammstein singing "Du Hast" with the big opera helmet on with the horns and pigtails like Elmer Fudd singing "Kill the wabbit"? Or maybe it's just me.

Reaper16
05-10-2010, 09:06 PM
When anyone else thinks of Thor, do they picture Rammstein singing "Du Hast" with the big opera helmet on with the horns and pigtails like Elmer Fudd singing "Kill the wabbit"? Or maybe it's just me.
No, I think of Blind Guardian (a German power metal band) playing as Thor & Beta Ray Bill crush thousands of fools with the might of metal and Mjolnir.

keg in kc
05-10-2010, 09:27 PM
The only problem I have with Thor is the same problem I have with Superman: too powerful.

But I'm really looking forward to the film.

Reaper16
05-10-2010, 10:01 PM
The only problem I have with Thor is the same problem I have with Superman: too powerful.

But I'm really looking forward to the film.
Thor has enemies of similar power though. Apart from Darkseid, Superman had an evil CEO to thwart.

Buck
05-11-2010, 05:09 AM

Have you ever seen the Daredevil directors cut?

It was actually good.

Buck
05-11-2010, 05:13 AM
Fuck, I got halfway into Civil War when I moved and I have no idea where it is right now. I need to find that shit.

Also I thought the movie was great. Also going to the movies by yourself while everyone else is at work is also great.

Guru
05-11-2010, 05:26 AM
Have you ever seen the Daredevil directors cut?

It was actually good.Surely you can't be serious.

I've never seen the directors cut but I can't imagine it being redeeming.

Buck
05-11-2010, 05:32 AM
Surely you can't be serious.

Somebody made the decision that it had to be PG-13 rated so it would be more family friendly. The directors cut is rated R, and makes it a good movie. Not Iron Man good, but good.

Read about it here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daredevil_%28film%29#Director.27s_cut

Deberg_1990
05-11-2010, 11:34 AM

Maybe they can work the Punisher in there as well!

ThaVirus
05-11-2010, 11:44 AM
:spock:

http://cinematicallycorrect.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/thor-01cover-cmykcrop.jpg

That pic looks pretty cool, but he's still gay overall. Too powerful, he talks weird, and he's a God. I'm sorry but that's just lame.

My main problem with the Thor and Avengers movie is that it makes no sense to have him in the Avengers. The disparity in power between him and Captain America makes it senseless to even have Cap (the leader) be a part of it. What kind of villain are they going to fight that gives Thor a problem that Cap would be able to lend a hand?

Reaper16
05-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Maybe they can work the Punisher in there as well!
Too many Marvel movies! Aaarrrggghhh!

Sure-Oz
05-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Surely you can't be serious.

That movie was the equivalent to Batman Forever

Bowser
05-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Fuck an Avengers movie. Give me a Secret Wars movie, which could lead to the Infinity Gauntlet movie series, and Thanos. [/nerd]

Sure-Oz
05-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Going to the downtown theater to see it this weekend, just got my tickets. stoked about the cinema suites to see Iron man 2

Tribal Warfare
05-12-2010, 01:19 PM
That pic looks pretty cool, but he's still gay overall. Too powerful, he talks weird, and he's a God. I'm sorry but that's just lame.

My main problem with the Thor and Avengers movie is that it makes no sense to have him in the Avengers. The disparity in power between him and Captain America makes it senseless to even have Cap (the leader) be a part of it. What kind of villain are they going to fight that gives Thor a problem that Cap would be able to lend a hand?

The Hulk fucked up Thor on a few occasions so there's a conflict brewing.

Deberg_1990
05-12-2010, 02:38 PM

Thats not the movies fault...its the comics right?

ThaVirus
05-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Thats not the movies fault...its the comics right?

Well yeah I guess any problem would be the comic's fault since thats where it all started. But in the comics you can get away with a little sillyness. Like certain comics will have Cap fight someone on the Hulks level, but struggle with Batman the next issue. I don't think that will fly in the Avenger's movie.

My perfect idea for how they should portray Cap's abilities is just like that Russian super-soldier in The Incredible Hulk, just slightly better trained and with a shield. With that, why would they even need Cap when they have the freaking God of thunder? He has the strength of the Hulk, invulnerability, flight, a mystical hammer (along with other magical abilities) and did I mention he's a God??? How can he die? Why would I worry about any enemy the Avengers face with him in the picture? I know someone is going to mention Galactus or Thanos or something like that but I'm sorry, that just doesn't sit well with me. I think its super lame and to avoid that I'd rather they just left Thor out of the equation.

JD10367
05-13-2010, 08:21 AM
If you fall asleep in certain sections of Central Park, you might wake up with your butt a little Thor. :)

Sofa King
05-13-2010, 08:22 AM
I watched this last night. good movie, not great.... i think i liked the first one better...

Red Brooklyn
05-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Saw it yesterday and was thrilled with the final product. Well done, IM2. Well done.

BWillie
05-13-2010, 12:29 PM
I watched this last night. good movie, not great.... i think i liked the first one better...

This is pretty much what I got out of it. I couldn't get over that they had to switch out the black guy from Crash w/ Don Cheadle. I like him as an actor, but he just seemed out of sync to me w/ the type of movie it was.

Sure-Oz
05-13-2010, 12:50 PM
This is pretty much what I got out of it. I couldn't get over that they had to switch out the black guy from Crash w/ Don Cheadle. I like him as an actor, but he just seemed out of sync to me w/ the type of movie it was.

The first one is going to be very hard to top, i mean it was the origin, this is just a continuation. I liked Batman Begins better than DK but it still kicked butt. I am sure it was still enjoyable.

ThaVirus
05-13-2010, 02:15 PM

Don Cheadle was in Crash as well, fyi.

OnTheWarpath58
05-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Saw it tonight, and really enjoyed it. But not being a comic book nerd, I have a few questions...

OK, so I got the Captain America reference, and I understand that the "discovery" in the end credits was the Hammer of Thor.

Stupid question - why New Mexico, and why would the FBI be looking for superheros?

Sorry in advance for my stupidity.

Reaper16
05-15-2010, 09:56 PM
Saw it tonight, and really enjoyed it. But not being a comic book nerd, I have a few questions...

OK, so I got the Captain America reference, and I understand that the "discovery" in the end credits was the Hammer of Thor.

Stupid question - why New Mexico, and why would the FBI be looking for superheros?

Sorry in advance for my stupidity.

The FBI isn't looking for anything. S.H.I.E.L.D. is the organization that is looking. As for why New Mexico, I guess we'll have to wait for the Thir movie.

KcMizzou
05-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Well yeah I guess any problem would be the comic's fault since thats where it all started. But in the comics you can get away with a little sillyness. Like certain comics will have Cap fight someone on the Hulks level, but struggle with Batman the next issue. I don't think that will fly in the Avenger's movie.

My perfect idea for how they should portray Cap's abilities is just like that Russian super-soldier in The Incredible Hulk, just slightly better trained and with a shield. With that, why would they even need Cap when they have the freaking God of thunder? He has the strength of the Hulk, invulnerability, flight, a mystical hammer (along with other magical abilities) and did I mention he's a God??? How can he die? Why would I worry about any enemy the Avengers face with him in the picture? I know someone is going to mention Galactus or Thanos or something like that but I'm sorry, that just doesn't sit well with me. I think its super lame and to avoid that I'd rather they just left Thor out of the equation.I tend to agree, but I'll wait and see how they play it.

Your issues with Thor are valid... and that's why Super Man isn't a very interesting character either. He's basically a god too. His only weakness is that stupid green rock that every villian seems to have easy access to.

Deberg_1990
05-15-2010, 10:57 PM
Saw it tonight. Loved it!

Sure it had alot of exposition in the mid section setting up the Shield/Avengers stuff, but overall well done.

Thought it interesting that Faveau seemed to let quite a few scenes drag on with improv and multiple people talking all at once...thats straight out of the Robert Altman playbook.

Count Alex's Losses
05-16-2010, 03:25 AM
I blew a load all over this movie. It was almost perfect, apart from Jon Favreau needlessly inserting himself into it.

Otherwise, it fucking blew me away. The usage of AC/DC is just so much fun. And holy fuck, the battle scene at the end. I don't even mind Cheadle.

AWESOME! MOOOOOORE IRON MAN!

Deberg_1990
05-16-2010, 08:30 AM
I blew a load all over this movie. It was almost perfect, apart from Jon Favreau needlessly inserting himself into it.

Otherwise, it ****ing blew me away. The usage of AC/DC is just so much fun. And holy ****, the battle scene at the end. I don't even mind Cheadle.

Agreed...i dont understand what people are complaining about??

OnTheWarpath58
05-16-2010, 09:19 AM
The FBI isn't looking for anything. S.H.I.E.L.D. is the organization that is looking. As for why New Mexico, I guess we'll have to wait for the Thir movie.

Oh, fuck. That's right. I'm not sure why I remember that character as an FBI agent, now that I think about it, I remember him giving Pepper his business card and her saying something to the effect of "might wanna shorten that a bit."

Went right over my head.

Thanks.

ForeverChiefs58
05-16-2010, 10:21 AM
In the Hulk movie, Edward Norton was supposed to be in the arctic when he came across a block of ice with captain america inside. They showed him walking in the snow in the previews but I never saw it in the movie. I heard Norton was pissed that they cut that and some other parts out.

ForeverChiefs58
05-16-2010, 10:22 AM
I hope Edward Norton stays with the Hulk franchise, he is a great actor.

Deberg_1990
05-16-2010, 10:24 AM
In the Hulk movie, Edward Norton was supposed to be in the arctic when he came across a block of ice with captain america inside. They showed him walking in the snow in the previews but I never saw it in the movie. I heard Norton was pissed that they cut that and some other parts out.

Yea, theres a longer cut of that movie out there i think.

Norton still hasnt been signed onto the Avengers movie yet, so i have no idea if hes going to be in it? I hope he is.

Im guessing that in the continuity timeline of Marvel flicks, the Incredible Hulk took place shorty after Iron Man 2?

Since at the end of Hulk, he was very much on board with SHIELD.

ForeverChiefs58
05-16-2010, 10:26 AM
New super 8 movie. I think that is aka the avengers!

<embed src='http://www.flix66.com/videoplayer/player-licensed-viral.swf' height='440' width='520' allowscriptaccess='always' allowfullscreen='true' flashvars='&channel=17645&controlbar.size=50.15&description=Super%208%20Trailer&dock=false&file=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flix66.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2010%2F05%2FSuper-8-Trailer.flv&image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flix66.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fflix66%2Fvideos_img_ba7bba1832d4c1d83d4cce88a735558d.jpg&ltas.mediaid=164&plugins=ltas%2Cviral&title=Super%208%20Trailer'/>

ForeverChiefs58
05-16-2010, 10:31 AM
While it's not slated to arrive in theaters until next summer, the new J.J. Abrams-directed and Steven Spielberg-produced movie "Super 8" is already generating a lot of buzz.

The super secret trailer debuted in the "Iron Man 2" release. It's a movie about Area-51, or at least materials from Area-51, and the title is thought to be an homage to the type of camera, which was used by Spielberg in his youth. Abrams is a big Spielberg fan and there's speculation that the movie is in some way an homage to him.

Reaper16
05-16-2010, 10:32 AM
While it's not slated to arrive in theaters until next summer, the new J.J. Abrams-directed and Steven Spielberg-produced movie "Super 8" is already generating a lot of buzz.

The super secret trailer debuted in the "Iron Man 2" release. It's a movie about Area-51, or at least materials from Area-51, and the title is thought to be an homage to the type of camera, which was used by Spielberg in his youth. Abrams is a big Spielberg fan and there's speculation that the movie is in some way an homage to him.

There is a thread for that movie.

ForeverChiefs58
05-16-2010, 10:41 AM
There is a thread for that movie.

where? I looked the first two pages and didn't see it.

Sure-Oz
05-16-2010, 01:04 PM
I noticed in the trailers they show iron man falling out of a plane and pepper kisses him before hand, that wasnt in the movie...

OnTheWarpath58
05-16-2010, 01:07 PM
I noticed in the trailers they show iron man falling out of a plane and pepper kisses him before hand, that wasnt in the movie...

Yeah, where she throws his helmet out of the plane - was missing from the EXPO entrance scene.

Reaper16
05-16-2010, 01:32 PM
where? I looked the first two pages and didn't see it.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=227930

DBOSHO
05-16-2010, 02:48 PM

Otherwise, it ****ing blew me away. The usage of AC/DC is just so much fun. And holy ****, the battle scene at the end. I don't even mind Cheadle.

The battle scene that lasted 30 sec?

Deberg_1990
05-16-2010, 03:11 PM

heh, yea i wondered about that myself? Sometimes trailers do show footage that gets cut out later.

Count Alex's Losses
05-16-2010, 04:20 PM
The battle scene that lasted 30 sec?

Dude, I don't care how long it lasted.

It was fucking incredible.

After seeing this, Jon Favreau might become one of my favorite directors. He needs more work. The script was fucking amazing, and hilarious.

Buehler445
05-16-2010, 10:59 PM
I saw it last night. Really well done IMO.

I really think without Downey, the movie is "meh". I can't think of another actor that could play the part and make it do well.

KcMizzou
05-16-2010, 11:07 PM
I saw it last night. Really well done IMO.

I really think without Downey, the movie is "meh". I can't think of another actor that could play the part and make it do well.Yeah, he's the perfect actor for that role, IMO. I can't imagine anyone being better fit for it.

ForeverChiefs58
05-16-2010, 11:19 PM
avengers news:

Edward Norton In For The Avengers If You Want Him To Be
With The Incredible Hulk 2 unlikely to happen anytime soon, The Avengers may be Edward Norton's only way or reprising the role. According to him, it's up to us if that's to happen.

A hot topic for Marvel movie fans ever since The Incredible Hulk debuted the same summer as Iron Man in 2008 is whether or not Edward Norton would be back to reprise the role in a sequel, or more importantly, The Avengers. There were some widely publicized disagreements between Norton and Marvel about what version of the film made the final cut and ever since then, it’s been unclear on his future with the studio and their franchise plans.

MTV had the opportunity to speak with Ed Norton
about his new charity project, Crowdrise.com, and took some time to discuss the Marvel movie universe. While he said he hadn’t yet seen Iron Man 2 – a movie he was once rumored to cameo in – he did leave the question about his return open to the fans.

“Well, if people want it all to come together, they’ve got to email Marvel and say, ‘This is what I want,’”

I feel like we’ve already been doing this for two years. I don’t get it; Why is this still unconfirmed?

The four key characters that will all have had their own interconnected solo movies out in time to lead in to The Avengers are the Hulk, Iron Man, Thor and Captain America. We all know that, we all saw the movies and they made them that way intentionally. Yet ever since The Incredible Hulk came out and the news of disagreements between Norton and Marvel about the script and story, there’s really been nothing official on the Hulk’s role in The Avengers.

In my opinion, Hulk needs to be a part of that movie and Edward Norton needs to be Bruce Banner. His acting skills and his portrayal of Bruce Banner would make for brilliant chemistry in conjunction with Robert Downey Jr.’s wit, the God of Thunder’s stature and the 1940s charm of Chris Evans’ Captain America.

As far as I’m concerned, Norton is either in or out and according to him, he doesn’t know anything about it. So, this is either a big secret to be revealed later, or Marvel is holding off as long as they can to drop the biggest, fattest piece of disappointment from their studio to date.

Sadly, this back and forth on Norton’s involvement with The Avengers has swayed from likely to unlikely for far too long. Last Fall, things seemed on the positive side with Norton saying that the idea of Hulk being partially a villain of sorts, or at least a high-tension character in The Avengers would be “fun” like it was in the comics (he’s a reader and a big fan) and he even went as far as saying the Hulk’s return was “only a matter of time.” Two months later, in interviews he seemed less enthusiastic again about the idea and that was it until Marvel President Kevin Feige dropped Hulk’s name as one of the characters involved when discussing The Avengers.

Was that a confirmation then that Hulk would be an Avenger? With the way things had been going we still couldn’t say. But things got even better when Norton revealed in March that his agents were talking with Marvel. That was the last we heard so it seems there’s definite interest from both parties. We know from what Norton’s said in interviews that he would only play along if his character has a meaningful role, something that developed the character beyond how we saw him in The Incredible Hulk where he’s finally learned some control over his other (larger and greener) self.

This task of giving each superhero in The Avengers a significant part is a monumental undertaking for Joss Whedon and company. And while Norton says he’s not yet met Whedon about the movie, I hope that changes soon.

As for Norton’s statement, yes, we all want you to play Bruce Banner in The Avengers. Marvel, make it happen.

What do you think about Ed Norton’s future with The Avengers?

Follow me on Twitter @rob_keyes.

ForeverChiefs58
05-16-2010, 11:20 PM
Iron Man 2 is currently in theaters everywhere; Thor opens May 5, 2011; The First Avenger: Captain America hits July 22, 2011 and The Avengers is scheduled to debut May 4, 2012

ForeverChiefs58
05-16-2010, 11:23 PM
'S.H.I.E.L.D.' Movie To Follow 'The Avengers,' Says Samuel L. Jackson
Posted 5/14/10 10:01 am ET by Blair Marnell in Marvel, News

At the beginning of last year, Samuel L. Jackson signed a long term deal with Marvel Studios to portray Nick Fury in as many as nine films. And after Fury's appearance in "Iron Man 2," Jackson is already set to reprise his role in "The First Avenger: Captain America" and "The Avengers."

However, at the time there was also speculation that Jackson would star in a film based directly around Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D., which Jackson seemed to confirm recently.

During an appearance on Radio Big Boy (via Cinema Blend). Jackson said
“'The Avengers' should start shooting some time next year, and then some time after that there’ll be a big 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' movie.”

A Nick Fury or a "S.H.I.E.L.D." movie would probably fulfill Jackson's promise that Fury would "kill somebody" during his upcoming appearances.

Cinema Blend also pointed out that Jackson got a few details wrong during the interview, including mistakenly identifying Chris Pines as Thor instead of Chris Hemsworth and seemingly forgetting that Chris Evans will play the title role in "Captain America." However, Jackson has already spoken with MTV News last month regarding Evan's casting as Captain America.

The potential "S.H.I.E.L.D." movie would actually be the second time Nick Fury has headlined a film. Back in the '90s, David Hasselhoff starred as Nick Fury in a TV movie that aired on Fox.

Red Brooklyn
05-17-2010, 12:05 PM
'S.H.I.E.L.D.' Movie To Follow 'The Avengers,' Says Samuel L. Jackson
Posted 5/14/10 10:01 am ET by Blair Marnell in Marvel, News

At the beginning of last year, Samuel L. Jackson signed a long term deal with Marvel Studios to portray Nick Fury in as many as nine films. And after Fury's appearance in "Iron Man 2," Jackson is already set to reprise his role in "The First Avenger: Captain America" and "The Avengers."

However, at the time there was also speculation that Jackson would star in a film based directly around Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D., which Jackson seemed to confirm recently.

During an appearance on Radio Big Boy (via Cinema Blend). Jackson said
“'The Avengers' should start shooting some time next year, and then some time after that there’ll be a big 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' movie.”

A Nick Fury or a "S.H.I.E.L.D." movie would probably fulfill Jackson's promise that Fury would "kill somebody" during his upcoming appearances.

Cinema Blend also pointed out that Jackson got a few details wrong during the interview, including mistakenly identifying Chris Pines as Thor instead of Chris Hemsworth and seemingly forgetting that Chris Evans will play the title role in "Captain America." However, Jackson has already spoken with MTV News last month regarding Evan's casting as Captain America.

The potential "S.H.I.E.L.D." movie would actually be the second time Nick Fury has headlined a film. Back in the '90s, David Hasselhoff starred as Nick Fury in a TV movie that aired on Fox.
:eek:

Yikes. Glad I missed that.

But I'd be all about a S.L.J - S.H.I.E.L.D. flick. It think I like this idea more than the Avengers movie.

Sure-Oz
05-17-2010, 01:37 PM
LOL i remember that crappy shield movie

FAX
05-17-2010, 05:05 PM
I saw that movie and, actually, it wasn't all that bad. Amazingly, Hasselhoff did a pretty good job. He looked like Fury from the comics, anyhow. Had a cigar stub clamped in his jaw and everything.

I wasn't moved to add the film to my collection, but I've seen worse movies. Far worse.

FAX

Deberg_1990
05-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Ok, so the Captain America joke was funny......

But how did his shield end up in Tonys lab??

Over-Head
05-17-2010, 05:58 PM
They could always do a movie based on Iron Man issue 100 or where he and Dr.Doom get sent back in time to Chamalot during a battle.

Might be kinda cool.

Tribal Warfare
05-17-2010, 08:44 PM
:eek:

Yikes. Glad I missed that.

But I'd be all about a S.L.J - S.H.I.E.L.D. flick. It think I like this idea more than the Avengers movie.

I'm not sure that having another Nick Fury movie would be a good idea, because of the idea that Fury is the one pulling the strings and only shows up when it's most important. It take away his mystique because of his "unknown" past.

Tribal Warfare
05-17-2010, 08:46 PM

it wasn't his lab, it was his fathers that S.H.E.I.L.D. was looking after.

FAX
05-17-2010, 08:47 PM

I don't know. Wondered that, myself. Also, the shield looked kinda small to me. Cap's shield was big enough for him to sort of hide behind and protect himself from death rays, I thought. The shield in the movie appeared to be about the size of a large Frisbee.

FAX

FAX
05-17-2010, 08:47 PM
it wasn't his lab, it was his fathers that S.H.E.I.L.D. was looking after.

What was the shield doing in his father's lab?

FAX

Tribal Warfare
05-17-2010, 08:52 PM
What was the shield doing in his father's lab?

FAX

Storage, or maybe S.H.I.E.L.D. was trying or his father was trying to duplicate the vibranium/adamantium alloy.

Very similar to Tony creating a new element to replace his old power source.

Sure-Oz
05-17-2010, 09:24 PM
http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi4053009433/

I remember this movie it owned!!1111 eff you red skull

Silock
05-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Yeah, so I just re-read some Thor comics.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOORING.

luv
05-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Getting ready to go see this.

Over-Head
05-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Getting ready to go see this.
Am waiting till I get home and make a date with the wife to go see it. Can't wait.

Over-Head
05-20-2010, 07:44 PM
sorry if re-posted

http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_18011.html

Iron Man 3 in 3D, Villain Revealed

Posted by: Michael

Jon Favreau is talking about Iron Man 3 and its good timing considering Iron Man 2 is ripping up theWhat better way to get Iron Man 3 off the ground when Iron Man 2 is busy making Marvel a boat load of money. As no surprise they had looked at releasing Iron Man 2 in 3D by doing the post-production conversion but decided against it... thank goodness I might add. But that does lead to the 3rd Iron Man will deffinantly be relieased in 3D

As far as the villain goes he has revealed that he would like the Mandarin. It was rumored the Mandarin would appear in Iron Man 2 but that never happened. The 10 Rings were referenced in the first film and the 2nd film ( the goon who gives the ticket to Whiplash is credited as a 10 Rings Thug ). The Mandarin is VERY tricky to tie into the because you need to make him a serious opponent but the Iron Man movies have so far had a very strong realist element which makes introducing a character who uses 'magic' a bit tricky. Either way Iron Man 3 will have to wait until Thor and The Avengers is complete which means their is plenty of time to polish the idea.

luv
05-20-2010, 10:35 PM
Okay, so the after credits portion. Can someone PM me who they think/know is coming next?

Tribal Warfare
05-26-2010, 02:26 AM
Dominic Cooper Set For "Captain America" (http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/17318/dominic-cooper-set-for-captain-america-)

Dominic Cooper ("Mamma Mia," "The Duchess") is set to be play a young Howard Stark, father of Tony 'Iron Man' Stark, in the 1940's-set scenes of the upcoming "The First Avenger: Captain America".

The story first emerged over Salon.com where an interview with the British hunk in Cannes mentioned the casting in the introduction but didn't include a quote in either the interview video or transcript.

Superhero Hype followed the story up however with Salon author Andrew O'Hehir who said Cooper confirmed the news to a group of journalists immediately after, and that it would be his next role.

"Mad Men" star John Slattery played an elderly Howard Stark in early 70's-set flashback/film reel scenes in the recent "Iron Man 2". Cooper was previously, and incorrectly, linked to play one of the Warriors Three in the "Thor" movie.

"Captain America" kicks off filming in a few weeks in London.

It's scary how well I can predict this shit

FAX
05-26-2010, 07:40 AM
Uhhh. I just watched the Iron Man movie again and Cap's shield has a big hole in it you can see through. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how a shield can work if it has a big hole in it you can see through. Mainly because, if you can see through a shield, you can shoot through a shield or poke a sharp spear through a shield or blast a powerful, state-of-the-art penis reduction ray through a shield and I don't think Cap can maintain his motivation to kill evil doers and stand up for right and good and America and big oil with a tiny-ass, little penis.

Anybody know why they made a shield with a big hole in it? Does big cinema have something against Captain America?

FAX

Reaper16
05-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Uhhh. I just watched the Iron Man movie again and Cap's shield has a big hole in it you can see through. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how a shield can work if it has a big hole in it you can see through. Mainly because, if you can see through a shield, you can shoot through a shield or poke a sharp spear through a shield or blast a powerful, state-of-the-art penis reduction ray through a shield and I don't think Cap can maintain his motivation to kill evil doers and stand up for right and good and America and big oil with a tiny-ass, little penis.

Anybody know why they made a shield with a big hole in it? Does big cinema have something against Captain America?

FAX
Was it a hole or was it transparent material?

Sure-Oz
05-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Was it a hole or was it transparent material?

You and your details....i think it looked like it had a hole but it was just put there to mess with all of us

Red Brooklyn
05-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Okay, so the after credits portion. Can someone PM me who they think/know is coming next?
Did you ever get your answer to this?

If not:

Thor

Deberg_1990
02-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Shane Black could write and direct Iron Man 3? Hell yes!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/shane-black-contention-write-direct-97854

Shane Black is in contention to direct Iron Man 3 for Marvel Studios.

The writer/director has powwowed with Marvel execs about his take on the third installment in the blockbuster franchise. As of now he is being considered for the directing job, but the assumption is that if he gets the gig, he would also write a draft.

Insiders said that Black's involvement is far from a sure thing, and that other filmmakers were being looked at.

Marvel is keeping the story direction of Iron Man 3 -- which returns Robert Downey Jr. in the title role -- secret.

Disney, which owns Marvel, is scheduled to release the threequel on May 3, 2013.

The directing spot recently opened up when Jon Favreau, who directed the first two movies, announced he was departing the franchise.

Iron Man 3 would reteam Black and Downey, who worked together on the well-regarded Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, which Black directed and co-wrote.

Black made his name writing high-profile specs in the 1980s and 1990s and, with movies such as Lethal Weapon and The Last Boy Scout, was one of the top writers in the action genre.

Boarding Iron Man would prove that the vet filmmaker isn't too old for this s***, to borrow a line from one of his movies. Several weeks ago, Black was tapped to write Death Note, Warner Bros.'s adaptation of a manga, and is working on Doc Savage, Sony's action project based on the classic pulp hero.

Tribal Warfare
02-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Shane Black could write and direct Iron Man 3? Hell yes!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/shane-black-contention-write-direct-97854

Shane Black is in contention to direct Iron Man 3 for Marvel Studios.

The writer/director has powwowed with Marvel execs about his take on the third installment in the blockbuster franchise. As of now he is being considered for the directing job, but the assumption is that if he gets the gig, he would also write a draft.

Insiders said that Black's involvement is far from a sure thing, and that other filmmakers were being looked at.

Marvel is keeping the story direction of Iron Man 3 -- which returns Robert Downey Jr. in the title role -- secret.

Disney, which owns Marvel, is scheduled to release the threequel on May 3, 2013.

The directing spot recently opened up when Jon Favreau, who directed the first two movies, announced he was departing the franchise.

Iron Man 3 would reteam Black and Downey, who worked together on the well-regarded Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, which Black directed and co-wrote.

Black made his name writing high-profile specs in the 1980s and 1990s and, with movies such as Lethal Weapon and The Last Boy Scout, was one of the top writers in the action genre.

Boarding Iron Man would prove that the vet filmmaker isn't too old for this s***, to borrow a line from one of his movies. Several weeks ago, Black was tapped to write Death Note, Warner Bros.'s adaptation of a manga, and is working on Doc Savage, Sony's action project based on the classic pulp hero.

good christ just got a raging geek boner

-King-
04-18-2011, 11:41 AM
I just watched Iron Man 2. Holy fuck! That has to be in the bottom 5 movies I've ever watched. It's not Hills Have Eyes 2 level of suck yet, but damn, it's trying.