PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV RIP Mr. Phelps.

Frankie
03-14-2010, 08:07 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100315/ap_on_en_tv/us_obit_peter_graves
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/geekdad/images/2009/04/05/mi2.jpg

'Mission: Impossible' star Peter Graves dies in LA
By BOB THOMAS, Associated Press Writer Bob Thomas, Associated Press Writer 3 mins ago

LOS ANGELES – Peter Graves, the tall, stalwart actor likely best known for his portrayal of Jim Phelps, leader of a gang of special agents who battled evil conspirators in the long-running television series "Mission: Impossible," died Sunday.

Graves died of an apparent heart attack outside his Los Angeles home, about a week shy of his 84th birthday, publicist Sandy Brokaw said.

He had just returned from brunch with his wife and kids and collapsed before he made it into the house, Brokaw said. One of his daughters administered CPR but was unable to revive him. Graves' family doctor visited the house and believed he had a heart attack, Brokaw said.

Although Graves never achieved the stardom his older brother, James Arness, enjoyed as Marshall Matt Dillon on TV's "Gunsmoke," he had a number of memorable roles in both films and television.

Normally cast as a hero, he turned in an unforgettable performance early in his career as the treacherous Nazi spy in Billy Wilder's 1953 prisoner-of-war drama "Stalag 17."

He also masterfully lampooned his straight-arrow image when he portrayed bumbling airline pilot Clarence Oveur in the 1980 disaster movie spoof "Airplane!"

Graves appeared in dozens of films and a handful of television shows in a career of nearly 60 years.

The authority and trust he projected made him a favorite for commercials late in his life, and he was often encouraged to go into politics.

"He had this statesmanlike quality," Brokaw said. "People were always encouraging him to run for office. But he said, 'I like acting. I like being around actors.'"

Graves' career began with cheaply made exploitation films like "It Conquered the World," in which he battled a carrot-shaped monster from Venus, and "Beginning of the World," in which he fought a giant grasshopper.

He later took on equally formidable human villains each week on "Mission: Impossible."

Every show began with Graves, as agent Phelps, listening to a tape of instructions outlining his team's latest mission and explaining that if he or any of his agents were killed or captured "the secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions."

The tape always self-destructed within seconds of being played.

The show ran on CBS from 1967 to 1973 and was revived on ABC from 1988 to 1990 with Graves back as the only original cast member.

The actor credited clever writing for the show's success.

"It made you think a little bit and kept you on the edge of your seat because you never knew what was going to happen next," he once said.

Saulbadguy
03-14-2010, 08:07 PM
I'm Peter Graves...and i'm dead. Al-right...

Mr. Flopnuts
03-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Being a KC board, this is almost nuthook worthy.

Buck
03-14-2010, 08:09 PM
lol, good one.

Ari Chi3fs
03-14-2010, 08:10 PM
OH man... I was about to rejoice.

Let me just say this... FUCK YOU FRED PHELPS.

Guru
03-14-2010, 08:14 PM
damn you!!!!

Ari Chi3fs
03-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Capt. Oveur: You ever been in a cockpit before?
Joey: No sir, I've never been up in a plane before.
Capt. Oveur: You ever…seen a grown man naked?

LaChapelle
03-14-2010, 08:23 PM
A headstone with GRAVES on it

Hydrae
03-14-2010, 08:23 PM
I had no idea he was brother to James Arness. :shrug:

MI the tv show was great. I would love to watch those on reruns again someday.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Ban

Fucking

HAMMER.

Mr. Laz
03-14-2010, 08:28 PM
not cool

Braincase
03-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Deberg_1990
03-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Have you ever spent some time in a Turkish Prison??

Crush
03-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Being a KC board, this is almost nuthook worthy.

It was definitely a nutscrape.

Deberg_1990
03-14-2010, 08:37 PM
heh..heres an interesting factoid about Airplane from IMDB...and ironically one of the main reasons why the movie works so well...

Jim Abrahams, David Zucker, and Jerry Zucker chose actors such as Robert Stack, Lloyd Bridges, Peter Graves, and Leslie Nielsen because of their reputation for playing no-nonsense characters. Until this film, these actors had not done comedy, so their "straight-arrow" personas and line delivery made the satire in the movie all the more poignant and funny. Bridges was initially reluctant to take his role in the movie, but his sons persuaded him to do it.

KcMizzou
03-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Do you like gladiator movies?

Gracie Dean
03-14-2010, 08:39 PM
damn, thought Freddy finally bit the farm

DenverChief
03-14-2010, 08:44 PM
OH man... I was about to rejoice.

Let me just say this... **** YOU FRED PHELPS.

Yeah I almost peed myself

Frankie
03-14-2010, 09:03 PM
Guys, get a clue. If this thread was about Fred Phelps I wouldn't have called him MR. Phelps.

Ari Chi3fs
03-14-2010, 10:11 PM
Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Have you ever seen a grown man repost?

Thig Lyfe
03-15-2010, 12:09 AM
damn, thought Freddy finally bit the farm

Bit the farm?

Idiot.

FAX
03-15-2010, 01:24 AM
I guess somebody put superglue on the tape player again.

RIP Mr. Graves.

FAX

chiefqueen
03-15-2010, 06:34 AM
This thread will blow up in 30 seconds.

BigRedChief
03-15-2010, 06:36 AM
I'll watch a gladiator movie or you tonight Jim.

Saulbadguy
03-15-2010, 07:13 AM
Guys, get a clue. If this thread was about Fred Phelps I wouldn't have called him MR. Phelps.

I agree. Only a moron would have thought otherwise.

Dylan
03-15-2010, 07:30 AM
he died?

r.i.p.

Dayze
03-15-2010, 08:27 AM
"How long 'til we can land"

"...I can't tell"

"You can tell me . I'm a Doctor"

"No...I mean, I'm just not sure".

"You can't make a guess"?

"well....not for another 3-4 hours".

"........you can't make a guess for another 3-4 hours"?

"No...I mean we probably can't land for another 3-4 hours".

JD10367
03-15-2010, 08:30 AM
Whoever Fred Phelps is, it seems like you guys really like him. :shrug:

My first thought at the title was that Michael got a bad bong.

Frazod
03-15-2010, 08:53 AM
Whoever Fred Phelps is, it seems like you guys really like him. :shrug:

My first thought at the title was that Michael got a bad bong.

He's the leader of the assholes who protest the funerals of fallen GIs, because he doesn't like homosexuals.

And no, it doesn't make any sense.

JD10367
03-15-2010, 09:33 AM
He's the leader of the assholes who protest the funerals of fallen GIs, because he doesn't like homosexuals.

And no, it doesn't make any sense.

Sounds like a nice guy. Can we trade him with Hades for Peter Graves?

Frazod
03-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Sounds like a nice guy. Can we trade him with Hades for Peter Graves?

Talk to the Kansas guys - he's one of theirs. :)

JD10367
03-15-2010, 09:54 AM
I'm a pretty simple guy.

When it comes to homosexuality, I have no issue.

When it comes to gays in the military, I have no problem as long as they're doing their job as well as the next man or woman.

When it comes to protesting at the funerals of fallen G.I.s, I'm all for having the government sanction a sniper whose sole job is to shoot to kill. Anyone at a G.I.'s funeral who is yelling and holding up a protest sign, put one right above the nose. Give 'em a third eye right on the forehead, and load the corpse right into a trash truck (which would be symbolically appropriate). And preferably make sure CNN captures it on film, so the next funeral-protesting bunch of whackjobs thinks twice about leaving the house.

"Freedom of Speech" does not rank higher than "Human Decency". JMO.