PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Should Reagan's face be on the $50?

Jenson71
03-15-2010, 12:11 AM
Congressman Patrick McHenry (R-NC) thinks so. Do you?

http://mchenry.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=174295

Washington, Mar 2 - Congressman Patrick McHenry (R-NC) announced new legislation today, H.R. 4705, that would redesign the face of the $50 bill to include the likeness of our 40th President, Ronald Reagan. Indisputably one of transformative leaders of the 20th century, Reagan would have turned 99 years old this February.

“Every generation needs its own heroes,” said Congressman McHenry. “One decade into the 21st century, it’s time to honor the last great president of the 20th and give President Reagan a place beside Presidents Roosevelt and Kennedy.”

President Franklin Roosevelt’s likeness is on the dime and President John F. Kennedy is on the half-dollar.

“President Reagan was a modern day statesman, whose presidency transformed our nation’s political and economic thinking,” McHenry continued. “Through both his domestic and international policies he renewed America’s self confidence, defeated the Soviets and taught us that each generation must provide opportunity for the next.”

President Reagan would be replacing President Ulysses S. Grant on the bill. In polls of presidential scholars, President Reagan consistently outranks President Grant. In 2005, The Wall Street Journal conducted one such poll of bipartisan scholars which ranked President Reagan 6th and President Grant 29th.

SNR
03-15-2010, 12:22 AM
Better Reagan than that asshole Ulysses S Grant.

Then again, I can think of a long list of names that would be better than Ulysses S Grant

Jenson71
03-15-2010, 12:24 AM
Better Reagan than that asshole Ulysses S Grant.

Then again, I can think of a long list of names that would be better than Ulysses S Grant

He wrote one hell of a war memoir though.

Of course, he did have Mark Twain as his editor.

That always helps.

Taco John
03-15-2010, 12:25 AM
I'd rather see Jefferson on the $50.

SNR
03-15-2010, 12:33 AM
Apparently we need to stick with presidents on money. It's horrifying how many people think that Hamilton and Franklin are former presidents just because they're on money

WoodDraw
03-15-2010, 01:25 AM
I'd prefer true historical subjects as opposed to a person that people can still remember in their life.

I also have a hard time believing that Ronald Regain deserves that honor ahead of quite a few earlier statesmen.

Thig Lyfe
03-15-2010, 01:31 AM
I'd like to see Ronald Reagan, John Calvin and Don McLeroy all share the $50. Sort of a Sears portrait of heroes.

WoodDraw
03-15-2010, 01:40 AM
Has anyone asked the Texas Department of Education for their opinion? We might need an expert's view here.

Maggot Brain
03-15-2010, 01:55 AM
“One decade into the 21st century, it’s time to honor the last great president of the 20th...”

Mega-dis to Papa Bush and Bill Clinton here.

I think it would be appropriate to put Reagan on a note but for tradition's sake I wouldn't want him replacing someone else.

Maybe a new denomination.

ClevelandBronco
03-15-2010, 03:32 AM
Can we put Barney Frank on a $3 bill?

Norman Einstein
03-15-2010, 05:00 AM

I thought that was reserved for Clinton.

And no on Reagan and the $50

patteeu
03-15-2010, 06:48 AM
I think Reagan would be better than Grant.

blaise
03-15-2010, 07:05 AM
There's already a huge, very nice building in DC named for him and the airport just across the river, too, so I don't really see why it's needed.

Garcia Bronco
03-15-2010, 08:18 AM

Jefferson is on the 2

Garcia Bronco
03-15-2010, 08:21 AM
Here are some others that you should find interesting. These bills are out of circulation.

$500: William McKinley (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/wiki/William_McKinley), equal to $6,351 in 2010 dollars
$1,000: Grover Cleveland (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/wiki/Grover_Cleveland), equal to $12,701.75 in 2010 dollars
$5,000: James Madison (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/wiki/James_Madison), equal to $63,508.77 in 2010 dollars
$10,000: Salmon P. Chase (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/wiki/Salmon_P._Chase), equal to $127,017.54 in 2010 dollars
$100,000: Woodrow Wilson (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/wiki/Woodrow_Wilson), equal to $1,624,937.66 in 2010 dollars

PunkinDrublic
03-15-2010, 08:22 AM
His face should be on all food stamps.

blaise
03-15-2010, 08:28 AM
Obama's face should be on all money. Him on the set of Jay Leno on the $1, on Letterman on a $5, on the cover of People on the $10, the beer summit on the $20, accepting his Nobel prize on the $50, and the $100 can show him standing atop a mountain with the sun's rays glowing around him as those below accept all the hope and change he delivers.

ClevelandBronco
03-15-2010, 08:31 AM
Obama's face should be on all money...the $100 can show him standing atop a mountain with the sun's rays glowing around him as those below accept all the hope and change he delivers.

Vermin on the mount.

BucEyedPea
03-15-2010, 08:33 AM
I voted yes. But put prefer it to be on the $100 bill which is going to be equal to what a one dollar bill once was.

blaise
03-15-2010, 08:34 AM
All the coins should feature Hollywood celebs.

CoMoChief
03-15-2010, 08:52 AM
Chuck Norris

blaise
03-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Chuck Norris

Crossing him will cost you ten of his knuckles.

Norman Einstein
03-15-2010, 11:23 AM

That would suck. What's the ratio of conservative vs liberal in that community? 99% to 1%?

The only way we do that is if they make them all of the hot women waist up showing their hooters!

Dr. Van Halen
03-15-2010, 12:03 PM

One of my prized possessions is a Steve Guttenberg doubloon I picked up one year at Mardi Gras. Absolutely priceless.

Rain Man
03-15-2010, 12:09 PM
I thought they were planning to put Obama's face on all currency.

Rain Man
03-15-2010, 12:13 PM

That'd be kind of cool. And instead of having values assigned to the coins, they'd just be worth whatever people wanted to pay for them.

"How much for a quarter-pounder with cheese?"

"What do you have?"

"I've got two Jason Batemans, a Jay Leno, a Tom Hanks, and three Sandra Bullocks. Oh, and a Winona Ryder."

"How about a Sandra Bullock and a Tom Hanks?"

"Okay."

Norman Einstein
03-15-2010, 12:22 PM
I thought they were planning to put Obama's face on all currency.

I thought that was the food stamps.

Calcountry
03-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Congressman Patrick McHenry (R-NC) thinks so. Do you?

http://mchenry.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=174295

Washington, Mar 2 - Congressman Patrick McHenry (R-NC) announced new legislation today, H.R. 4705, that would redesign the face of the $50 bill to include the likeness of our 40th President, Ronald Reagan. Indisputably one of transformative leaders of the 20th century, Reagan would have turned 99 years old this February.

“Every generation needs its own heroes,” said Congressman McHenry. “One decade into the 21st century, it’s time to honor the last great president of the 20th and give President Reagan a place beside Presidents Roosevelt and Kennedy.”

President Franklin Roosevelt’s likeness is on the dime and President John F. Kennedy is on the half-dollar.

“President Reagan was a modern day statesman, whose presidency transformed our nation’s political and economic thinking,” McHenry continued. “Through both his domestic and international policies he renewed America’s self confidence, defeated the Soviets and taught us that each generation must provide opportunity for the next.”

President Reagan would be replacing President Ulysses S. Grant on the bill. In polls of presidential scholars, President Reagan consistently outranks President Grant. In 2005, The Wall Street Journal conducted one such poll of bipartisan scholars which ranked President Reagan 6th and President Grant 29th.We should put Obama's smiling face on a thousand dollar bill, because that is the amount of money we are going to need to buy groceries when he is through.

T-post Tom
03-15-2010, 01:11 PM
This reminds me of the time a few Pubs tried to get Reagan added to Mt. Rushmore.

Norman Einstein
03-15-2010, 02:01 PM
This reminds me of the time a few Pubs tried to get Reagan added to Mt. Rushmore.

Never heard of that one.

Chiefspants
03-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Definitely, he is the face of the aids prevention movement.

fan4ever
03-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Vermin on the mount.

Clever :clap:

Pioli Zombie
03-15-2010, 06:26 PM
"Alex, I believe the question is "What is queerer?""
Posted via Mobile Device

VAChief
03-15-2010, 06:29 PM

Technically I think Larry Craig probably has seniority on that one.

penchief
03-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Absolutely not. Reagan's presidency is the most overhyped, misrepresented, and misunderstood presidency of our time. He WAS the original neocon. There is no distinguishable difference between the policies of Ronald Reagan and those of George W. Bush. The only difference is that they used to be romanticized when they weren't realized. Now that we have 30 years of results it's clear to see how damaging those policies have been.

Norman Einstein
03-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Absolutely not. Reagan's presidency is the most overhyped, misrepresented, and misunderstood presidency of our time. He WAS the original neocon. There is no distinguishable difference between the policies of Ronald Reagan and those of George W. Bush. The only difference is that they used to be romanticized when they weren't realized. Now that we have 30 years of results it's clear to see how damaging those policies have been.Nowhere near as damaging as one year of Obama.

alanm
03-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Absolutely not. Reagan's presidency is the most overhyped, misrepresented, and misunderstood presidency of our time. He WAS the original neocon. There is no distinguishable difference between the policies of Ronald Reagan and those of George W. Bush. The only difference is that they used to be romanticized when they weren't realized. Now that we have 30 years of results it's clear to see how damaging those policies have been.
:rolleyes:

penchief
03-15-2010, 06:57 PM
:rolleyes:

Check it out.

patteeu
03-15-2010, 07:04 PM

I hope you're not a history teacher.

banyon
03-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Let them have this I say.

However, is there any irony or problem with having the guy who said government is the problem on the face of its well used Fed Minted currency? Isn't that an endorsement of government?

bowener
03-15-2010, 07:29 PM

Especially if they had a true to life bright orange head of hair!

mlyonsd
03-15-2010, 07:42 PM
I think the 100 should have the Obama likeness. But after 1 year of service it should self combust.

penchief
03-15-2010, 07:50 PM
I hope you're not a history teacher.

Bush policies are just an extention of Reagan's policies. On steroids maybe, but the same ideology.

Same corporate welfare agenda, same trickle down class warfare, same contempt for civil liberties, same projection of military power, same deficit spending ideology, same exploitation of religious fundamentalism, same implimentation of wedge issues, same overzealous deregulatory policies, same governmental secrecy, same environmental policies, same dishonest covert shit, and same disregard for the constitution, etc.

Dick Cheney and Don Rumsfeld cut their teeth in the Reagan Administration and carried on the Reagan legacy, among others. And that is where Lee Atwater taught his protege, Karl Rove, the art of the smear campaign.

And let's not forget that Reagan sold arms to terrorist in Iran and lied about it. All so he could undermine the constitution by financing an illegal war in Central America. All after saying that he would never negotiate with terrorists. And that was after he had already negotiated with terrorists to release our hostages on inauguration day.

And let's not forget that Reagan sold WMD to Saddam and then turned a blind eye when Saddam used them on his own people. Or that he wanted to get rid of your Miranda Rights. Or that he wanted to be able to arrest people if law enforcement suspected that a crime "might" be committed. Or that he wanted to make ketchup the vegetable requirement for school lunch programs.

Reagan was a good speaker but nothing more than a figurehead for a political movement that became what we now know as the neocons. George W. Bush is Ronald Reagan's legacy. Not exactly a legacy worthy of immortalization, IMHO.

vailpass
03-15-2010, 09:47 PM
Bush policies are just an extention of Reagan's policies. On steroids maybe, but the same ideology.

Same corporate welfare agenda, same trickle down class warfare, same contempt for civil liberties, same projection of military power, same deficit spending ideology, same exploitation of religious fundamentalism, same implimentation of wedge issues, same overzealous deregulatory policies, same governmental secrecy, same environmental policies, same dishonest covert shit, and same disregard for the constitution, etc.

Dick Cheney and Don Rumsfeld cut their teeth in the Reagan Administration and carried on the Reagan legacy, among others. And that is where Lee Atwater taught his protege, Karl Rove, the art of the smear campaign.

And let's not forget that Reagan sold arms to terrorist in Iran and lied about it. All so he could undermine the constitution by financing an illegal war in Central America. All after saying that he would never negotiate with terrorists. And that was after he had already negotiated with terrorists to release our hostages on inauguration day.

And let's not forget that Reagan sold WMD to Saddam and then turned a blind eye when Saddam used them on his own people. Or that he wanted to get rid of your Miranda Rights. Or that he wanted to be able to arrest people if law enforcement suspected that a crime "might" be committed. Or that he wanted to make ketchup the vegetable requirement for school lunch programs.

Reagan was a good speaker but nothing more than a figurehead for a political movement that became what we now know as the neocons. George W. Bush is Ronald Reagan's legacy. Not exactly a legacy worthy of immortalization, IMHO.

What a burden it must be to think like that. Don't worry, there are plenty of Americans who have what it takes to get the job done in spite of tin-foil whiners like you.

SNR
03-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Let them have this I say.

However, is there any irony or problem with having the guy who said government is the problem on the face of its well used Fed Minted currency? Isn't that an endorsement of government?Andrew Jackson is on the 20. Clearly that doesn't bother the US Mint.

Jamie
03-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Why isn't Teddy Roosevelt on money? Too awesome?

penchief
03-16-2010, 06:59 AM
What a burden it must be to think like that. Don't worry, there are plenty of Americans who have what it takes to get the job done in spite of tin-foil whiners like you.

Ignore the facts, dude. But all you have to do is check it out and you'll see for yourself. I lived through it. And I voted for Reagan in 1980. It didn't take long to see that he was something other than advertised. While he was personable and likable his policies were polarizing and anything but conservative. They were the same policies that George W. Bush attached himself to.

Reagan was not a conservative in the virtuous sense. His administration was just as I described it. He inspired a lot of people because he paid lip service to that which people wanted to hear. But it was Reagan and those within his administration that started the neocon ball rolling.

Most people who adore Reagan do so because they see him as a symbol of true conservatism. But he was anything but that. Or they've bought into the false narrative that's been created over the years. While he was not a true conservative, he certainly was a rightie when it came to things like curbing civil liberties, militarism, and exploiting religious fundamentalism. And he may have hated social welfare but he sure loved corporate welfare. And he didn't think much about investing back into the country, either (i.e infrastructure, education, health care, etc.).

Most of the people who romanticize Ronald Reagan don't take the time to really look into what his policies were or what his faults were. Reagan is a myth. And no amount belittling those with whom you disagree will ever change that.