PDA

View Full Version : Life Beware the Ides of March

T-post Tom
03-15-2010, 03:07 PM
That is all.

MoreLemonPledge
03-15-2010, 03:11 PM
http://cheezpictureisunrelated.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/129120297882465732.jpg

JD10367
03-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Why? It's a cool little instrumental to start off the album, leading right into "Wrathchild".

http://www.hessian.org/metal/music/images/iron%20maiden%20killers.jpg

Trivia: IIRC that was actually the first album they recorded, but for some reason the second released.

Jenson71
03-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.

Long live Caesar.

Cave Johnson
03-15-2010, 03:13 PM
I have a couple library books due.

Very ominous.

Frazod
03-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Sic semper tyrannis!

Oops, wrong guy. :D

Slainte
03-15-2010, 03:34 PM
The ides of March have come.

Aye Caesar, but not gone...

Jenson71
03-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Little piece of fun trivia: Caesar was elected to a high priest position in 63 BC: pontifex maximus.

The position and title remained long after Caesar's death, being held by the Emperors of Rome. That is until Christianity came to dominate the empire. Then, the title switched over to . . . the Bishop of Rome (or more commonly known as, the Pope) where it remains today.

So the Catholic Pope Benedict XVI and the pagan Julius Caesar had the same title and position (sort of): Pontifex Maximus.

Frazod
03-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Here's another one (I can't remember what I did last week, but I remember this from Latin class 30 years ago) - Caesar's last words were not "Et tu, Brute," as Shakespeare would have us believe, but rather "Kai su, teknon." Upper class Romans spoke Greek, not Latin, which was the language of the commoners.

"Kai su, teknon," translates as "And you, son."

T-post Tom
03-15-2010, 03:54 PM

http://cheezpictureisunrelated.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/129120139589271321.jpg

T-post Tom
03-15-2010, 03:55 PM
The ides of March have come.

Aye Caesar, but not gone...

tru dat

Jenson71
03-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Here's another one (I can't remember what I did last week, but I remember this from Latin class 30 years ago) - Caesar's last words were not "Et tu, Brute," as Shakespeare would have us believe, but rather "Kai su, teknon." Upper class Romans spoke Greek, not Latin, which was the language of the commoners.

"Kai su, teknon," translates as "And you, son."

Yeah that's a good one.

Upper class Romans spoke Latin too. They were bilingual. And of course, they wrote in Latin. Caesar is said to have written some of the greatest Latin works (his war memoirs).

FAX
03-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Little piece of fun trivia: Caesar was elected to a high priest position in 63 BC: pontifex maximus.

The position and title remained long after Caesar's death, being held by the Emperors of Rome. That is until Christianity came to dominate the empire. Then, the title switched over to . . . the Bishop of Rome (or more commonly known as, the Pope) where it remains today.

So the Catholic Pope Benedict XVI and the pagan Julius Caesar had the same title and position (sort of): Pontifex Maximus.

Pope stuff is fascinating. Little children should be forced to learn all kinds of Pope stuff in school. I once had the good fortune to attend an historical exhibit of artifacts associated with the Medici family. Unbelievable information, frankly. Freakingly unbelievable historical information.

Anyhow, I became interested in Pope stuff as a result. There are an almost unlimited number of weird Pope things.

For example, Pope Paul IV decided to round up all the Roman Jews, forced them to live in a ghetto, and wear special, yellow hats ... very reminiscent, obviously, of Hitler's ideas. One can't help but speculate on the many strange connections between the Vatican and Nazi Germany.

FAX

LaChapelle
03-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Ask Chris Simms

Jenson71
03-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Pope stuff is fascinating. Little children should be forced to learn all kinds of Pope stuff in school. I once had the good fortune to attend an historical exhibit of artifacts associated with the Medici family. Unbelievable information, frankly. Freakingly unbelievable historical information.

Anyhow, I became interested in Pope stuff as a result. There are an almost unlimited number of weird Pope things.

For example, Pope Paul IV decided to round up all the Roman Jews, forced them to live in a ghetto, and wear special, yellow hats ... very reminiscent, obviously, of Hitler's ideas. One can't help but speculate on the many strange connections between the Vatican and Nazi Germany.

FAX

Yeah, the Church kind of got a bit stricter after the Protestant Reformation with things they weren't too fond of (sinning, Jews, Protestants, old ladies who grew herbs). Not some of our better days, Jewish ghettos especially.

But yeah, there's a lot of cool Pope stuff.

I can't remember who the Popes were, or the lady's name, but sometime in the 700-800 range there was a Whore of Vatican that basically ran the Church and sent Popes down the Tiber if they got on her bad side.

runnercyclist
03-15-2010, 05:06 PM
Hey, well I'm the friendly stranger
In the black sedan
Oh won't you hop inside my car?
I got pictures, got candy, I am a lovable man
I'd like to take you to the nearest star
I'm your vehicle baby
I'll take you anywhere you wanna go
I'm your vehicle woman
By now I'm sure you know
That I love ya (love you)
Need ya (need you)
I want to, got to have you child
Great God in heaven, you know I love you
Well if you want to be a movie star
I got the ticket to Hollywood
Well if you want to stay just like you are
You know I think you really should
I'm your vehicle baby
I'm your vehicle woman
By now I'm sure you know
I need ya (need you)
Great God in heaven you know I love you
Oh you know I do
Well I'm the friendly stranger
In the black sedan
Oh won't you hop inside my car?
I got pictures, got candy, I am a lovable man
I'd like to take you to the nearest star
I'm your vehicle baby
I'm your vehicle woman
By now I'm sure you know
I need ya (need you)
And I'm your vehicle babe
Oooh
You know I love ya (love you)
I need ya (need you)

Vehicle - Ides of March

Frazod
03-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Yeah that's a good one.

Upper class Romans spoke Latin too. They were bilingual. And of course, they wrote in Latin. Caesar is said to have written some of the greatest Latin works (his war memoirs).

I didn't mean to imply that they didn't know how to speak Latin; just that Greek was the language of the aristocracy.

Of course Caesar wrote his memoirs in Latin - they were intended for public consumption.

chiefsfan93
03-15-2010, 05:44 PM
reminds me of the game Kid Icarus.........:rolleyes:

Jenson71
03-15-2010, 05:52 PM
I didn't mean to imply that they didn't know how to speak Latin; just that Greek was the language of the aristocracy.

Of course Caesar wrote his memoirs in Latin - they were intended for public consumption.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllll, not to be all argumentative, but there really wasn't much of a "public consumption" available for writers being that most people other than the elite (who knew Greek) didn't know how to read or write any language except for signing their name to stuff.

Uncle_Ted
03-15-2010, 05:53 PM
Vehicle - Ides of March
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_EBMo8xHGNs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_EBMo8xHGNs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Jenson71
03-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Also, they knew English too, just watch Rome and A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

Frazod
03-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllll, not to be all argumentative, but there really wasn't much of a "public consumption" available for writers being that most people other than the elite (who knew Greek) didn't know how to read or write any language except for signing their name to stuff.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees, but Caeser's exploits were made available to the public. If they couldn't read them, they could certainly listen to being read by people who could.

You are aware, I assume, that one of the biggest problems Caesar's assassins had with him was his popularity with the masses. He was a skilled politician and knew how to market himself.

luv
03-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Today SUCKED. Got to work later than usual (five minutes early instead of 15), our system was down for the day (we got it up about 6pm and guess who got to take all of the calls from irked customers about it), our fax machine was broke (had requests for medical records since people couldn't get on the system), and I worked until 7pm with a 20 minute lunch. Plus, I'm on call. Oh joy!

BUT, I am now able to fax from my computer, and I learned even more about the way our system works.

MoreLemonPledge
03-15-2010, 09:26 PM
http://liquidarchitecture.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/the-ides-of-march.jpg

Jenson71
03-16-2010, 06:59 AM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees, but Caeser's exploits were made available to the public. If they couldn't read them, they could certainly listen to being read by people who could.

Eh, I really don't think that's why he wrote them in Latin though or that many people heard them read in public at all (there wasn't much copying done). Maybe a little, though. I think most probably got their Caesar news from that big fat guy who yells from a podium in Rome. Anyway, looks like we both agree that the elite Romans were bilingual in Greek and Latin.

You are aware, I assume, that one of the biggest problems Caesar's assassins had with him was his popularity with the masses. He was a skilled politician and knew how to market himself.

Sure regarding his popularity with the masses, but his political skills had a lot to be desired (hence the Ides of March). His military skills, on the other hand, were monumental. Only Alexander was a greater general in all of antiquity. That is what marketed himself, not his Latin war memoirs. Romans loved the winners, especially those who could conquer Gaul.

big nasty kcnut
03-16-2010, 07:07 AM
I came to praise Caeser not bury him

Frazod
03-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Eh, I really don't think that's why he wrote them in Latin though or that many people heard them read in public at all (there wasn't much copying done). Maybe a little, though. I think most probably got their Caesar news from that big fat guy who yells from a podium in Rome. Anyway, looks like we both agree that the elite Romans were bilingual in Greek and Latin.

Sure regarding his popularity with the masses, but his political skills had a lot to be desired (hence the Ides of March). His military skills, on the other hand, were monumental. Only Alexander was a greater general in all of antiquity. That is what marketed himself, not his Latin war memoirs. Romans loved the winners, especially those who could conquer Gaul.

You'd argue about the color of shit, wouldn't you? Good fucking God.

Make sure and add some more obvious points about Caesar that I didn't mention and then imply that I didn't know them. Caesar was a great general? Really? Gee, I'd never heard that one before.

:shake:

gblowfish
03-16-2010, 08:27 AM
Treasure Bath!!!

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xIxdXh_CMyY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xIxdXh_CMyY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Jenson71
03-16-2010, 03:32 PM
You'd argue about the color of shit, wouldn't you? Good ****ing God.

Make sure and add some more obvious points about Caesar that I didn't mention and then imply that I didn't know them. Caesar was a great general? Really? Gee, I'd never heard that one before.

:shake:

His name meant 'hairy' because baldness ran in his family.

The Romans had a good sense of humor. So did Julius Caesar. He wrote a joke book, but Augustus later collected them and had them all burnt. He was an exception to the sense of humor rule.

Cicero meant garbonzo bean.

I never said you didn't know that stuff or implied that you didn't. I wasn't trying to show you up or anything. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Jenson71
03-16-2010, 03:35 PM
You'd argue about the color of shit, wouldn't you? Good ****ing God.

Also:

I would not.

:p

FAX
03-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Carlos Santana got a black magic woman. I think we should beware of her, too.

FAX