PDA

View Full Version : Life Education Budget Shortfall poll

pr_capone
03-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Schools districts all around the country are in bad shape financially. Districts are having to cut back on teachers, all day kindergarten, and shut down entire schools to save money.

I was wondering what CP's thoughts would be on a 1% increase in sales tax to help fund local schools.

While I've heard the argument more than once... "I already pay enough for other peoples kids to go to school!" but does your stance soften or change completely when faced with the reality that the kids you are helping put through school now will be the doctors, nurses, politicians, lawyers, ect. that will be looking after you when you are old and frail?

Here it is.

Would you support a 1% increase in sales tax in order to fund your local school?

JD10367
03-15-2010, 07:00 PM
No. A 1% increase in sales tax to fund schools is like giving a homeless guy a buck. It's a short-term band-aid that does nothing to solve the problem. And it's the easy way out. Cities, counties, and states already heap taxes on us for every little thing. They tax our cigarette sales, our booze, our gasoline, and even squeeze them into our phone and cable bills. The answer is better allocation of what they already get, or a reallocation so they get more, not squeezing Joe Public for more.

Brock
03-15-2010, 07:02 PM
I already pay for schools. No.

Baconeater
03-15-2010, 07:03 PM
When my school district can't afford to send their students home with $1000 laptops and $700 digital cameras anymore then I'll believe they may be in financial trouble.

LaChapelle
03-15-2010, 07:15 PM
I'd support moving this to the DC forum

Rain Man
03-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Business, the public, and government should equally feel the pain of the recession. Government can't further increase the burden on the people just so they don't have to make cuts.

stlchiefs
03-15-2010, 08:50 PM
No, read the KC School District article from the Cato Institute.

DJ's left nut
03-16-2010, 12:15 AM
If I were allowed private school vouchers, I would gladly accept a 1% increase in sales tax.

However, because the teacher's unions pretty much own the political landscape, that's clearly not going to happen. So instead, I'll just keep that 1%, continue to pay the exorbitant amounts I already pay, and send my kids to private school.

Until the public schools learn to ditch the kids that don't want to learn (i.e. scrap no child left behind and start failing these lazy half-wits), I will not support giving them one more dime.