PDA

View Full Version : Football Dick Vermeil: Larry Johnson will take Clinton Portis' job

Mr. Flopnuts
03-16-2010, 02:31 PM
I just got this in text form from NFL, so no link. I L to the O to the L'ed though.

DaWolf
03-16-2010, 02:36 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/16/AR2010031601742.html

"He will take over the running back position," said Dick Vermeil, who coached Johnson in Kansas City from 2003 to '05. "That's what I think. He'll push that guy right out of a job. Larry Johnson will work all week -- he'll work Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday -- and he'll make you start him on Sundays."

"His back is against the wall, and for him, that's when he's at his best," said Herman Edwards, who coached in Kansas City from 2006 to '08. "Most people think he's done, he's finished, he's too old. That actually helps him. He wants to prove people wrong. This is his third team in two years, he knows this could be it. You don't need more incentive than that."

"I think they got a great steal in this guy," Vermeil said. "If they have any sort of offensive line, I really believe he'll be the starting running back there, and he'll do very well. If anyone thinks it's some union job and a guy gets to start just because he's the incumbent, nuh-uh. Larry will make him work. [Portis] will have to fight to even hope to keep his job."

"This was a very productive guy who didn't handle himself right with all of his actions off the field," said Edwards, now an analyst for ESPN. "He's not a bad guy, not a bad locker room guy. He's good around the other players but often put himself in the wrong place at the right time, if that makes sense."

"I've never seen a kid compete so hard to prove that he's as good as the starter," he said. "And if that starter isn't the Priest Holmes-type who will match the effort every single day, Larry Johnson will take his job. I don't know that much about Clinton Portis, but I know what Larry was like. He ran mean. In practices, he ran like he just plain didn't like his teammates."

"The truth is, he can run anything you give him to run," Vermeil said. "When he first came to us, he wasn't sure what type of runner he was. But within our running game, once he got going, he could really run anything."

"This is his last shot, and I think he has to know that," Edwards said. "This is different for him than the past several years. He's not the guy and that might be good for him. Now he has to go compete again to be successful. When he's the guy, he kept getting in his own way. He wasn't always doing the right things."

Mr. Flopnuts
03-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Thanks buddy. :thumb:

chiefs1111
03-16-2010, 02:37 PM
ROFL

Mr. Flopnuts
03-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Someone needs to tell grandpa that it's not 2005 anymore.

Chiefspants
03-16-2010, 02:42 PM
This is news?, this is what I have been telling you dumbasses all along.

/KCbroncoHATER

rockymtnchief
03-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Is Portis's job to bruise the centers ass?

DV hasn't been watching games lately.

Claynus
03-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Vermeil knew how to motivate LJ best.

BTW, I would not be shocked to see Larry do well with Shanahan. He averaged 4.4 YPC with the Bengals.