PDA

View Full Version : Football Oakland Raiders QB's situation

Over-Head
03-16-2010, 03:56 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/363259-the-sad-reality-of-the-oakland-raiders-qb-competition?utm_source=newsletter

The Sad Reality Of The Oakland Raiders QB Competition

There is a lot of buzz going around Raider Nation this offseason. It almost reminds me of the movie Twilight's buzz between Team Jacob and Team Edward, but in Raiders land its Team Bruce vs Team JaMarcus.

Cable has made it clear that it will be an open competition and he'll let the best man win. Exciting isn't it?

Well, not exactly if you look at the reality of the situation. Having two quarterbacks compete can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on the quality of the two players.

The Raiders don't exactly have a Brett Favre vs Aaron Rodgers, or a Donovan McNabb vs Michael Vick. To be honest, I don't think they even have a Brady Quinn vs Kyle "Pro Bowl" Orton at this point.

Neither JaMarcus Russell or Bruce Gradkowski have been proven starters in the league up to this point.

Gradkowski won the starting role in Tampa his rookie season, but was benched after a 3-8 start. He's only started 15 games in his career and has a 5-10 record as a starter.

He currently has a 53.3 career completion percentage and a 65.9 QB rating. He has a 15 TD to 16 INT ratio.

We didn't see enough of Gradkowski last year to really know what he brings to the table. Before last year, had a nine TD to 13 INT ratio, and only a 3-9 record as a starting QB.

Russell was drafted first overall in 2007, and has yet to live up to expectations. He sat out his rookie year and started his second season.

During his second season Russell had a 13 TD to eight INT ratio. He currently has a 7-19 record as a starter, which gives him the most wins for a Raider QB since they lost the Super Bowl to the Bucs in 2002.

He has a 52.1 completion percentage and a 65.2 QB rating for his career.

It hasn't been easy winning games for Raider QB's since 2002. Proven starters like Dante Culpepper, Kerry Collins, and Aaron Brooks have failed to win many games in the Silver & Black.

Now the Raiders go into camp with two quarterbacks who haven't won or proven they can win in this league up to this point.

Team JaMarcus supporters point out to his physical ability and potential, as well as the Raiders lack of talent around him. That talent is now emerging, and could help improve his game, if he wins the starting spot.

They also point to Gradkowski's average play throughout his career. Despite his heart, work ethic, and leadership, he's only been able to win five games as a starter, and has accumulated the same type of stats Russell has.

Team Bruce supporters point out to his heart, fire, and the way the offense looked in his three games. He has a winning record as a starter for the Raiders, even if its only 2-1.

You can't deny that the Raiders offense looked better after Russell was benched, but you also can't deny that Robert Gallery, Darren Mcfadden, and Chaz Schilens returning to the line up had something to do with it.

Regardless of the situation, Gradkowski took advantage of opportunity and ran with it. Unfortunately it only lasted three-and-a-half games; he was injured behind a weak offensive line unit.

They also point out to Russell's lack of production, his bad work ethic, and his inability to read coverages.

The Raiders must do something to improve their offensive line this offseason, if they want either QB to succeed. They head into the offseason with no official starting QB named.

The Raiders are putting their hopes of ending a seven year streak of losing 11 games or more, on the backs of two QB's that haven't been able to prove they can win in the league.

If ya ask me START GRADKOWSKI for cry'n out loud!!! :cuss::cuss::cuss: and hire a fuggen GM you degenerate crypt keeper!

Pasta Giant Meatball
03-16-2010, 03:58 PM
There is a lot of buzz going around Raider Nation this offseason. It almost reminds me of the movie Twilight's buzz between Team Jacob and Team Edward, but in Raiders land its Team Bruce vs Team JaMarcus.

OMG I am dying here ROFL

Bane
03-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Team Japorkchop is good for the Chiefs.Team Gradkowski is bad for the AFCW.IMO Oakland is a very talented team,poorly coached,and lead by a bust QB.Fix those 2 situation and IMO they could be a very dangerous team.

Over-Head
03-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Team Japorkchop is good for the Chiefs.Team Gradkowski is bad for the AFCW.IMO Oakland is a very talented team,poorly coached,and lead by a bust QB.Fix those 2 situation and IMO they could be a very dangerous team.
Shhhhh Al will figure a way to NOT figure that out on his own :banghead:

KurtCobain
03-18-2010, 09:36 AM
The Raiders should've went for Anderson.

CoMoChief
03-18-2010, 10:10 AM
There is a lot of buzz going around Raider Nation this offseason. It almost reminds me of the movie Twilight's buzz between Team Jacob and Team Edward,

Stopped reading here. Can't seem to wonder how a bunch of gay vampires are related to anything NFL related. Except maybe Raider fans in the Black Hole.

Chiefnj2
03-18-2010, 10:13 AM
There is a team Jamarcus? What is it composed of, fast food and big and tall shop owners in the Oakland area?

SNR
03-18-2010, 10:13 AM
By the way, Over-Head. Check out the Chiefsplanet Mock Draft in the draft forum. I'm drafting for the Raiders. Tell me what I'm doing right/wrong. I trust your judgement more than the others on that place.

For instance, am I missing out on any huge gaping team needs? So far I've just done a mixture of BPA that can make the Raiders a better team.

I do plan on drafting a QB as the rounds go on. I decided 3rd round was too early for Colt McCoy or Pike or LeFevour, though.

Deberg_1990
03-18-2010, 10:16 AM
Wheres the luv for Team Charlie Frye??

Chiefnj2
03-18-2010, 10:18 AM
By the way, Over-Head. Check out the Chiefsplanet Mock Draft in the draft forum. I'm drafting for the Raiders. Tell me what I'm doing right/wrong. I trust your judgement more than the others on that place.

For instance, am I missing out on any huge gaping team needs? So far I've just done a mixture of BPA that can make the Raiders a better team.

I do plan on drafting a QB as the rounds go on. I decided 3rd round was too early for Colt McCoy or Pike or LeFevour, though.

There is no way McCoy makes it to the 3rd round. It's a QB starved league.

boogblaster
03-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Im so sorrrrrryy ...

Hydrae
03-18-2010, 10:23 AM
I just have one reaction to the issues faced by the Raiders....

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Rain Man
03-18-2010, 10:27 AM
The Raiders asked me to come in and compete for the quarterback job, but I had other priorities. August is usually when the really good reruns are on TV.

KurtCobain
03-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Can't seem to wonder how a bunch of gay vampires are related to anything NFL related. Except maybe Raider fans in the Black Hole.

bingo

notorious
03-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Except maybe Raider fans in the Black Glory Hole.

FYP

KurtCobain
03-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Wheres the luv for Team Charlie Frye??

Best QB they have IMO.... ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

SNR
03-18-2010, 10:58 AM
There is no way McCoy makes it to the 3rd round. It's a QB starved league.It's the 3rd round in our mock draft and he has yet to be taken. Only Bradford, Clausen, and Tebow have been drafted. Yes, you heard me.

Chiefnj2
03-18-2010, 11:04 AM
It's the 3rd round in our mock draft and he has yet to be taken. Only Bradford, Clausen, and Tebow have been drafted. Yes, you heard me.

I don't doubt it. The Planet draft gurus hate spread QBs. In real life McCoy is a good leader, a good kid, very accurate on short and intermediate routes, and wins games. In a QB starved league someone will take him in the 2nd unless there is a medical red flag.