PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs VERY interesting read (Mock Draft material)

MatriculatingHank
03-16-2010, 04:07 PM
http://www.ninersnation.com/2010/3/16/1375636/nn-community-mock-draft-final

Be sure to read entire post but here's the summary of what
the Chiefs could end up with:

K.C. Chiefs - Eric Berry, Jerry Hughes, and Terrence Cody: This would be an unbelievable draft for Kansas City if they could get all three of these guys. They are very weak at the safety position so Berry makes a whole lot of sense there. Hughes brings a pass rush to the Chiefs that they have been missing since the late great Derrick Thomas and Cody, if he can stay on par in maintaning his weight, will be a true force in the middle of that defensive line. FINAL GRADE (A+) 5.83

Fritz88
03-16-2010, 04:08 PM
i just came

Bane
03-16-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm sorry,I don't believe Mt Cody will cut it in the NFL.IMO he will be too slow,too out of shape and wont be able to man handle ppl like in college.

OnTheWarpath58
03-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Well, I took two of the three in the CP mock.

While NT is a need, it's not worthy of spending a valuable pick on. In this scheme, you need a NT that takes on blockers - and IMO, a guy like Linval Joseph, Torell Troup or Kade Weston can do the same thing, while using a much later pick.

tyton75
03-16-2010, 04:16 PM
I think Cody will be ok.. just strikes me as the type to take plays off

Bane
03-16-2010, 04:17 PM
I think Cody will be ok.. just strikes me as the type to take plays off

Very possible.I just feel like he will get his lazy ass handed to him for the first 2-3 years in the league.Then he will break down mentally and will be done.I do not want to see him as a Chief.

Mr. Laz
03-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Eric Berry
Jerry Hughes
Cam Thomas

Bane
03-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Eric Berry
Jerry Hughes
Cam Thomas

Works way better IMO.

Huffman83
03-16-2010, 04:24 PM
I agree on Cam Thomas. He's not the physical NT specimen that Cody might be. But he has the size and a better rep than Cody from everything I've read.

bevischief
03-16-2010, 05:18 PM
The whole thing.

ChiefsCountry
03-16-2010, 05:20 PM
I'm sorry,I don't believe Mt Cody will cut it in the NFL.IMO he will be too slow,too out of shape and wont be able to man handle ppl like in college.

He is going to be a space eater in the 3-4. He can be a total fat ass and be fine.

Bane
03-16-2010, 05:30 PM
He is going to be a space eater in the 3-4. He can be a total fat ass and be fine.

Well I'm not doubting that a fat ass can be a good NT (Pat Williams) ,I just don't think he will be.People are wrong every day when giving their opinions on players,and maybe I am,but thats my story and I'm sticking to it.I think Cody will be a average at best player in the NFL.

ForeverChiefs58
03-16-2010, 08:27 PM

The people he was manhandling happen to be players like Pouncy who is the top rated center and could be one of the higher touted centers to come along in a while. Even though he is a mountain of a man that many think is just lard, he was athletic enough to also play some at fullback just like the great "fridge" Perry who many also thought was just fat. just sayin...

Bane
03-16-2010, 08:31 PM
The people he was manhandling happen to be players like Pouncy who is the top rated center and could be one of the higher touted centers to come along in a while. Even though he is a mountain of a man that many think is just lard, he was athletic enough to also play some at fullback just like the great "fridge" Perry who many also thought was just fat. just sayin...

I guess we can just agree to disagree.I think he will fail miserable in the NFL.Maybe for his and his family's sake,he will prove me and many others to be wrong.

ForeverChiefs58
03-16-2010, 08:33 PM
I watch a lot of gators football, which means I watch a lot of alabama football, and I would always be drawn to big cody. He seems like the real deal to me. I would also wonder if Rolando Mclain would be as good without big cody cloggin everything in front of the top rated linebacker.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-16-2010, 08:34 PM
I watch a lot of gators football, which means I watch a lot of alabama football, and I would always be drawn to big cody. He seems like the real deal to me. I would also wonder if Rolando Mcain would be as good without big cody cloggin everything in front of the top rated linebacker.

Somebody lit a fire under McClain's ass.

T-post Tom
03-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Well I'm not doubting that a fat ass can be a good NT (Pat Williams) ,I just don't think he will be.People are wrong every day when giving their opinions on players,and maybe I am,but thats my story and I'm sticking to it.I think Cody will be a average at best player in the NFL.

I agree. Anyone that shows up as out of shape as he did at his weigh-in has a piss poor work ethic. Shades of Ryan Sims...

Too bad the pickens are so slim with 3-4 NTs.

suds79
03-16-2010, 08:38 PM
With NT being as hard as it is to find in the NFL and everybody switching to it, I just don't see how Cody makes it that far down in the draft.

Especially since he come into the combine at 350 something. About 20 lbs lighter from his senior bowl weight.

Here's the thing I just don't get. I think Bane makes the best point. I mean if you have a gut feeling that a guy will flop, fine. Can't argue that.

But if your reasoning is simply fat, slow, lazy, etc like earlier posts here, I don't know what kind of NT you think we'll end up with. Because last I checked there's no shredded fast 340 lb DTs out there. Once you get to that kind of weight, they're all big, fat and yes probably slow. You're not asking the guy to be a pass rusher. You're just asking him to be huge enough to take up multiple blockers on 1st & 2nd down with the hopes in getting to 3rd and long.

As for the lazy comment, I think that's debatable. Certainly the weight he loss for the combine would point to the contrary.

MoreLemonPledge
03-16-2010, 08:39 PM
I agree. Anyone that shows up as out of shape as he did at his weigh-in has a piss poor work ethic. Shades of Ryan Sims...

Too bad the pickens are so slim with 3-4 NTs.

Alabama NT Terrence Cody reportedly weighed in at 6'4/348 at the Crimson Tide's Wednesday Pro Day.
Since weighing 370 at the Senior Bowl, Cody has dropped an impressive 22 pounds. He's shed six lbs. since the Combine, and still benched 225 pounds a whopping 32 times on Wednesday. Cody remains squarely in the first-round mix for a league placing more emphasis on nose tackles than ever.

He's working his ass off right now to lose the weight. Now it's whether he's actually wanting to get better or wanting to get paid that's debatable.

T-post Tom
03-16-2010, 08:40 PM
With NT being as hard as it is to find in the NFL and everybody switching to it, I just don't see how Cody makes it that far down in the draft.

Especially since he come into the combine at 350 something. About 20 lbs lighter from his senior bowl weight.

Here's the thing I just don't get. I think Bane makes the best point. I mean if you have a gut feeling that a guy will flop, fine. Can't argue that.

But if your reasoning is simply fat, slow, lazy, etc like earlier posts here, I don't know what kind of NT you think we'll end up with. Because last I checked there's no shredded fast 340 lb DTs out there. Once you get to that kind of weight, they're all big, fat and yes probably slow.

As for the lazy comment, I think that's debatable. Certainly the weight he loss for the combine would point to the contrary.

Haven't seen any shirtless pics of V. Wilfork, so maybe this is unfair.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__8_FYmYcJ9I/S2gS46c_L_I/AAAAAAAABMs/uUj3rn9HBAA/s640/terrence-cody-weigh-in.jpg

Mr. Flopnuts
03-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Alabama NT Terrence Cody reportedly weighed in at 6'4/348 at the Crimson Tide's Wednesday Pro Day.
Since weighing 370 at the Senior Bowl, Cody has dropped an impressive 22 pounds. He's shed six lbs. since the Combine, and still benched 225 pounds a whopping 32 times on Wednesday. Cody remains squarely in the first-round mix for a league placing more emphasis on nose tackles than ever.

He's working his ass off right now to lose the weight. Now it's whether he's actually wanting to get better or wanting to get paid that's debatable.

Good post. I think it's spot on. I love Mt. Cody, but I am concerned that he's only working for the payday. What's he going to do when he can afford to eat whatever he wants, whenever he wants?

T-post Tom
03-16-2010, 08:43 PM

That's obviously movement in the right direction. Thank you for the update. I'd still have a huge red flag next to him if I were a GM. But again, it's nice to see him improving.

suds79
03-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Good post. I think it's spot on. I love Mt. Cody, but I am concerned that he's only working for the payday. What's he going to do when he can afford to eat whatever he wants, whenever he wants?

Motivation to be great is a fair question or concern. But you could say that about any player in the draft.

Were they all not working on their 40 times just to get the better draft spot and for better $$?

That's for Scott to figure that out and choose accordingly

Mecca
03-16-2010, 08:46 PM
All NT's are big fatasses, that's just something everyone is going to have to get over.

T-post Tom
03-16-2010, 08:47 PM
The author's grading curve is very generous. Anyone remember a draft where you'd hand out that many A's?

T-post Tom
03-16-2010, 08:47 PM
All NT's are big fatasses, that's just something everyone is going to have to get over.

Then why won't Pioli give me a job? :D

Bane
03-16-2010, 08:48 PM

That's my issue with him.He's just a kid,and when he starts "cakn patna" then what?I think there are several other NT options with less risk we can target.IMO.I'd much rather miss on him vs missing on a pick like Berry,McCoy,McClain or even Spiller.

ForeverChiefs58
03-16-2010, 08:48 PM
having someone that can provide a push on D is critical. There isn't anyone as big as him, he is a space eater and he is exactly what this defense needs.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QWjKz0KGHU8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QWjKz0KGHU8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Coogs
03-16-2010, 08:49 PM
On Path to the Draft the other day, they had a piece on Cody. It happened to be the day of the Alabama Pro Day. During the interview with him, they asked him a pretty direct question about the wieght gain. He said it was from just needing to get away from football for a little while and give his body time to heal up from the bumps and bruises aquired while playing football. Once his body had a chance to rest up and heal, he resumed working out.

This is paraphrasing the whole thing, but that was the jist of the conversation. The guy seemed pretty sincere and pretty motivated to excell at the next level as well. I feel like we could do a lot worse things than to spend our #36 pick on Cody if he is still on the draft board at that time.

Bane
03-16-2010, 08:50 PM

Again I don't have a problem with over weight or "fat" ppl.I just think he will get paid,then BOOM!!!!JaPorkchop v2.0

Mecca
03-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Russel is a QB that's different.

Ted Washington was hugely fat, Gilbert Brown the list goes on and on.

Mr. Laz
03-16-2010, 08:53 PM

He's working his ass off right now to lose the weight. Now it's whether he's actually wanting to get better or wanting to get paid that's debatable.the fact that cody cared enough to lose weight and also was strong enough to push 225/32 times is a very good sign.

i realize a guy that big can lose 20lbs just by taking a couple of good dumps but still, at least he tried.

Coogs
03-16-2010, 08:55 PM
the fact that cody cared enough to lose weight and also was strong enough to push 225/32 times is a very good sign.

i realize a guy that big can lose 20lbs just by taking a couple of good dumps but still, at least he tried.

To be fair, later in the Path to the Draft show, they said the bench was 22 times. Once with 32 and once with 22. I have never seen a report as to which one is correct.

ForeverChiefs58
03-16-2010, 08:55 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wNCdVEfoBEo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wNCdVEfoBEo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Bane
03-16-2010, 08:56 PM
Russel is a QB that's different.

Ted Washington was hugely fat, Gilbert Brown the list goes on and on.

Different positions yes,I understand,but to me,they are the same person.

Mecca
03-16-2010, 08:58 PM
NT's have to be fat, it's part of the job.

If Cody weighed 310lbs he wouldn't even be in the discussion for our pick.

Mr. Laz
03-16-2010, 08:59 PM
To be fair, later in the Path to the Draft show, they said the bench was 22 times. Once with 32 and once with 22. I have never seen a report as to which one is correct.

Gak ... it was 22 times

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=82264&draftyear=2010&genpos=dt

that's not nearly as good imo ... a 350lb guy that pushes 225lb only 22 times screams "guy never cared enough to do the work in the weight room"

the guy is boom or bust imo ... if he can dedicate himself to getting stronger and doing the work he can have upside to the moon. If he doesn't ... Jamarcus russell.

lostcause
03-16-2010, 09:00 PM

Second coming of the Undertaker.

Coogs
03-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Gak ... it was 22 times

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=82264&draftyear=2010&genpos=dt

that's not nearly as good imo ... a 350lb guy that pushes 225lb only 22 times screams "guy never cared enough to do the work in the weight room"

the guy is boom or bust imo ... if he can dedicate himself to getting stronger and doing the work he can have upside to the moon. If he doesn't ... Jamarcus russell.

GBN has it the other way... as was reported on Path to the Draft once as well...

Meanwhile, DT Terrence Cody weighed in at a 'svelte' 348 pounds, down another 6 from the combine and 22 since his disastrous Senior Bowl appearance; for the record, Cody also did 32 reps pressing 225 pounds.

http://www.gbnreport.com/

Who knows? :shrug:

MoreLemonPledge
03-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Gak ... it was 22 times

Yeah, that makes me think he lost some muscle, not just fat.

lostcause
03-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Honestly, I believe that Dorsey/Cody/Tyjax could prove to be a very formidable front 3.

MoreLemonPledge
03-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Honestly, I believe that Dorsey/Cody/Tyjax could prove to be a very formidable front 3.

Formidable and young. I would love to see what that line could do in 2011.

Shox
03-16-2010, 09:12 PM
I don't know when you will every see a 350 lb 22-23 year old young man who won't carry a sterotype of fat, slow, must be lazy. I thought he looked amazingly quick and agile in his pro day. If the Chiefs have him on the board at 2.5 I don't know how they can pass him up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bane
03-16-2010, 09:13 PM

I respectfully disagree.We're not seriously talking about taking Cody @ 5 are we? I assume everyone means taking him in the 2nd round.

Mecca
03-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Cody is actually pretty athletic for a guy that big.

MoreLemonPledge
03-16-2010, 09:18 PM
I respectfully disagree.We're not seriously talking about taking Cody @ 5 are we? I assume everyone means taking him in the 2nd round.

Not at all. 2.5 is where he should go.

lostcause
03-16-2010, 09:18 PM

There are apparently a number of mocks that have him being available at 2.5

Bane
03-16-2010, 09:19 PM
2b Ahhhhh. Nah I still don't like the pick.

Mecca
03-16-2010, 09:19 PM
I personally think Cody will push the 1st round, late 1st early 2nd I'd say.

ForeverChiefs58
03-16-2010, 09:23 PM
hopefully Terrence Cody and Brandon Spikes in 2nd/ or a OG Mike Iupati and C Maurkice Pouncey would be spectacular.

Either combo would go along way for the offense/defense

lostcause
03-16-2010, 09:25 PM
I personally think Cody will push the 1st round, late 1st early 2nd I'd say.

Even if 2 DTs go in the top 5?

Bane
03-16-2010, 09:26 PM
hopefully Terrence Cody and Brandon Spikes in 2nd/ or a OG Mike Iupati and C Maurkice Pouncey would be spectacular.

I'll take Spikes (he can eye gouge McDickweed when he tells our players that he owns them in pre-game) and Iupati.:clap:

ForeverChiefs58
03-16-2010, 09:31 PM
I think he weighs a lot more than any center he would face and if he just pushes his weight, he will push an OL into the backfield sometimes even being double teamed, and make the other team have to plan around your NT named after a mountain. you can run around him, but you won't run through him.

Mecca
03-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Even if 2 DTs go in the top 5?

Uh yea, different kind of DT's, Dan Williams is gonna go top 15, and Cody is the next NT after him.

lostcause
03-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Uh yea, different kind of DT's, Dan Williams is gonna go top 15, and Cody is the next NT after him.

I understand that, but you said late 1st/early 2nd... Which I would be surprised to see him go to Detroit/St. Louis/Tampa Bay - which probably won't want 2 guys in back to back rounds or a NT to begin with... I would also be surprised to see him go to most of the last 8 or so drafting at the end of the 1st round. It would appear if he lasts until 25 or so, he could easily fall to 2.5. Thats all.

edit: I suppose the Chargers might be interested.

ForeverChiefs58
03-16-2010, 09:36 PM
I just hope this draft gets a few playmakers or difference makers for the chiefs. This draft could really turn a side of the ball for us. I hope defense or QB I guess because I want something to be excited about dang nab it!

Mr. Flopnuts
03-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Somebody lit a fire under McClain's ass.

So disappointed no one caught this...........

johns091
03-16-2010, 11:13 PM
call me crazy..or maybe just a delusional Alabama fan. But i really think KC would benefit more by drafting McClain in that first pick vs. Eric Berry. Don't get me wrong Berry is an absolute stud, but McClain practically ran that 3-4 defense....I mean the dude was practically a coach on the field, spent more time in the film room than anyone on that Alabama team..."a 6-foot-4, 258 pound Nick Saban" ...the dude is a rare talent. He might not have an immediate impact but give him some time and he will completely change this defense...then again, he could probably have an immediate impact....thats just me though

T-post Tom
03-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Update: Cody becomes irrelevant as Chiefs pursue UFA for NT.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01596/Donna_Simpson2_1596685c.jpg

MoreLemonPledge
03-16-2010, 11:36 PM
call me crazy..or maybe just a delusional Alabama fan. But i really think KC would benefit more by drafting McClain in that first pick vs. Eric Berry. Don't get me wrong Berry is an absolute stud, but McClain practically ran that 3-4 defense....I mean the dude was practically a coach on the field, spent more time in the film room than anyone on that Alabama team..."a 6-foot-4, 258 pound Nick Saban" ...the dude is a rare talent. He might not have an immediate impact but give him some time and he will completely change this defense...then again, he could probably have an immediate impact....thats just me though

I wouldn't be completely surprised to see that pick, even (especially?) if he is slipping a bit.

Oh, and welcome to the board.

DrRyan
03-16-2010, 11:54 PM

You sir are a delusional Alabama fan. An ILB should not be picked at #5. Especially a slow one with Crohn's disease.

McClain over Berry, that is a good one! ROFL

milkman
03-17-2010, 04:46 AM
The individual handing out grades for that mock lost all credibility when he gave the Bills an A for taking Tim TeBow in the second.

milkman
03-17-2010, 04:47 AM
You sir are a delusional Alabama fan. An ILB should not be picked at #5. Especially a slow one with Crohn's disease.

McClain over Berry, that is a good one! ROFL

Sadly, that something I would expect that Pioli would do.

Bane
03-17-2010, 06:12 AM
Sadly, that something I would expect that Pioli would do.

After Tyson Jackson @3,nothing will surprise me.:shake: