PDA

View Full Version : Misc I got my Census form today...

chefsos
03-16-2010, 04:32 PM
and mine will be easy to fill out, as it's just me here.:loser:

So...

1) Everyone else get one too?

2a) If so, what will you do with it?

2b) DC here we come! Whee!

alnorth
03-16-2010, 04:48 PM
and mine will be easy to fill out, as it's just me here.:loser:

So...

1) Everyone else get one too?

2a) If so, what will you do with it?

2b) DC here we come! Whee!

1) Yes

2a) Filled it out, took 5 minutes. Will mail it back tomorrow.

2b) Why?

BIG_DADDY
03-16-2010, 04:53 PM
I plan on lighting a fire with it.

alnorth
03-16-2010, 04:56 PM
I plan on lighting a fire with it.

You live in California?

Cool. I whole-heartedly endorse this idea, product, and/or service. I encourage you to talk all your friends into burning your census forms. Hell, start a movement, encourage as many people as possible from Sacramento to San Diego to revolt against the census.

chefsos
03-16-2010, 04:56 PM
2b) Why?

I plan on lighting a fire with it.That's why.

KC Jones
03-16-2010, 05:04 PM
My mother always refused to give them any information or respond to any sort of surveys.

Of course, having survived the holocaust she had an understandable fear of governments collecting information about citizens.

BWillie
03-16-2010, 05:05 PM
I threw mine away.

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-16-2010, 05:10 PM
I took a dump in the return envelope and sent it back.

Iowanian
03-16-2010, 05:17 PM
If you dont' fill it out, you're screwing your area in representation as well as potential jobs, federal and grant money for the next decade.

Don't be a douche, fill it out and send it in. It's far from invasive and it's very useful locally.

BIG_DADDY
03-16-2010, 05:20 PM
I took a dump in the return envelope and sent it back.

Perfect.

whatsmynameagain
03-16-2010, 05:26 PM
If you dont' fill it out, you're screwing your area in representation as well as potential jobs, federal and grant money for the next decade.

Don't be a douche, fill it out and send it in. It's far from invasive and it's very useful locally.

This

whatsmynameagain
03-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Perfect.

Your poor child......

Iowanian
03-16-2010, 05:29 PM
For alot of reasons, I wish they were collecting more information in this census. It's very useful on alot of fronts.

Goldmember
03-16-2010, 05:36 PM
If you don't send it in, a kid with a clipboard will come knocking on your door. Of course there will be the dumbasses that don't mail it in and cost us taxpayers a billion more dollars.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/15/news/economy/census/index.htm

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The Census Bureau estimated Monday that Americans could save the federal government $1.5 billion by mailing their 2010 census forms instead of waiting for a census taker to show up at the door.

The announcement came on the same day the bureau mailed the first 120 million forms to households across the nation as part of the Constitutionally mandated population count.

"Mailing back your census form when it arrives will contribute to saving hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars," Census Bureau director Robert Groves said in a statement. "It's a lot less expensive to get responses back by mail than it is to send census takers to knock on doors of households that failed to respond."

Groves said it costs the government 42 cents for each pre-paid envelope when a household mails back the form. That compares with a cost of $57 to send a census taker to check on households that do not respond, he said.

While everyone living in the United States is required by law to participate in the census, the Bureau estimates that some 48 million households will not respond by mail.

That's partly because many of the forms being mailed Monday will arrive at foreclosed homes, the bureau said. However, many others could simply disregard the forms.

As a result, the agency expects to hire 650,000 census workers to begin following up with households in May.

The push to get Americans to respond via mail comes after a major media campaign to create awareness about the 2010 census, which included a high-profile advertisement during last month's Super Bowl.

The bureau also mailed advance letters last week to alert households about the census and will send reminder postcards later this week. Those efforts could result in a cost savings of more than $500 million, the agency said.

The census is conducted every 10 years to ensure that Congress is reapportioned in a way that accurately reflects the U.S. population. It is also used determine how more than $400 billion in federal funds are distributed.

The 2010 form, which consists of 10 questions, should take only 10 minutes to complete, the bureau said. In addition to asking how many people live at a particular residence and whether or not they own or rents the home, the form has questions regarding age, sex, race.

Gracie Dean
03-16-2010, 05:39 PM
received it yesterday filled it out last night, sent it off today

chefsos
03-16-2010, 05:43 PM
For alot of reasons, I wish they were collecting more information in this census. It's very useful on alot of fronts.I must say I was surprised at how brief the form is. Didn't even ask how many toilets I have.

alnorth
03-16-2010, 06:16 PM
If you live in a state that doesn't vote the way you like, then feel free to not fill in the census. If you dont mind being harassed for the next few months, great.

However, if for example you are a die-hard republican in a red state or a liberal in a blue state who refuses to fill it out and send it back, then you are basically an idiot.

stlchiefs
03-16-2010, 06:21 PM
received it yesterday filled it out last night, sent it off today

Exactly what we did.

Saulbadguy
03-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Made the wife fill it out.

CaliforniaChief
03-16-2010, 08:01 PM
I got it, filled it out, and sent it in yesterday.

Today, I got a mailer warning me that it was coming. Federal efficiency at work.

Goldmember
03-16-2010, 08:07 PM

Today, I got a mailer warning me that it was coming. Federal efficiency at work.

Supposedly that advance warning saves the government money because they get a better mail response rate. Spending money to save money.

DaFace
03-16-2010, 08:10 PM

Yup.

DaFace
03-16-2010, 08:13 PM

The "it's coming" letter is normally valuable, but the USPS's process of handling bulk mail is really goofy sometimes.

Ebolapox
03-16-2010, 08:18 PM
I haven't gotten it yet.

Rain Man
03-16-2010, 08:19 PM
I not only filled mine out, but I also drew a picture of a farm on the envelope to boost the morale of the census worker who receives it.

chefsos
03-16-2010, 08:25 PM
To those of you who are half of a couple:

Are you person #1 on the form, or #2?

Heh, I wish I'd asked that in the OP.

Gonzo
03-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Filled mine out today. I told them I was a hispanativeafrican american.
That oughta confuse the hell out of em.
I'm awaiting my college scholarship.
Posted via Mobile racial Device

jjjayb
03-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Filled mine out tonight. Actually I just filled out the first box that asked how many people lived in my house. Down the middle of the form I wrote that 3 americans lived at this house and the rest of the answers were private.

BWillie
03-16-2010, 11:19 PM
So when it asks me who lives in my house, and that is protected by law.....I just don't think I trust the government on this one.

Miles
03-16-2010, 11:32 PM
I got the letter but haven't received the form.

Miles
03-16-2010, 11:37 PM
So when it asks me who lives in my house, and that is protected by law.....I just don't think I trust the government on this one.

Just curious, what about that is protected under federal law?

BWillie
03-16-2010, 11:54 PM
Just curious, what about that is protected under federal law?

What I meant is it says that all the info you put down on there is kept private per federal law. I just highly doubt that. If they wanted to, they could pull all that information out of their ass and use it against to if they need to.

Renegade
03-17-2010, 07:59 AM
I don't understand why we still do the Census

1. Everybody that is born receives a birth certificate.
2. Natualized citizens receive a certificate of citizenship.
3. Everybody that dies receives a death certificate.

Seems simple to me take the last census number, add points 1 and 2 from above, then subtract number 3. Wolla, there is your census number

DaFace
03-17-2010, 08:00 AM

Seems simple to me take the last census number, add points 1 and 2 from above, then subtract number 3. Wolla, there is your census number
Posted via Mobile DeviceAfter all no one ever moves.

DMAC
03-17-2010, 08:05 AM
Hmmm, question...

If I have a baby in my oven, do I need to put it down?

oldandslow
03-17-2010, 08:06 AM
done and done

TrebMaxx
03-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Filled mine out and sent it back. Anyone get the expanded form? I did last census and I thought it was asking too much but I filled it out anyway.

MichaelH
03-17-2010, 08:15 AM
This Census form was 100 times easier to fill out than the last one. This one took 5 minutes, the last one was like trying to get a job with the government. I am amazed they actually made something easier.

Deberg_1990
03-17-2010, 08:17 AM

Because people move. Probably move now more than ever before.

Its mainly done so they can determine number of representatives in each state and realign districts if need be.

InChiefsHell
03-17-2010, 08:21 AM
Got it, filled it out, sent it in. I don't see what the big deal is. I asked if I owned or rented, how many lived in my house, what their relationship is, whether or not I'm of Spanish origin, my race...that's about it. Nothing about income. Nothing particularly evil, it's the same questions they always ask isn't it?

cdcox
03-17-2010, 08:24 AM
I did mine, but I had to project the number of occupants living at my house on April 1. I hope 8 more people don't move into my house between now and then.

milkman
03-17-2010, 08:27 AM
I would give you the answer to these questions, but then I would have to kill you, and then that would skew the census.

milkman
03-17-2010, 08:28 AM
BTW, I wonder if any of the census takers they hire will be the soon to be laid off teachers?

JD10367
03-17-2010, 08:31 AM
I cut out my form's liver and ate it with some fava beans and a nice Chianti. Ftptptptptptpt.

Cave Johnson
03-17-2010, 08:44 AM
What I meant is it says that all the info you put down on there is kept private per federal law. I just highly doubt that. If they wanted to, they could pull all that information out of their ass and use it against to if they need to.

Not really, no. The most obvious use would be immigration enforcement. INS/ICE is barred from accessing census data.

But hey, go on, be paranoid. It only costs the rest of us.

bobbymitch
03-17-2010, 08:57 AM
I got two! One for the Kansas house and one for the Missouri house. I'll wait until April 1 and see where I'll be. Choices, choices . .

MTG#10
03-17-2010, 08:59 AM
I thought it was funny how they're trying to scare people into filling them out now by printing "Your response is required by federal law" on the outside of the envelope. Yeah, right.

Deberg_1990
03-17-2010, 09:01 AM
BTW, I wonder if any of the census takers they hire will be the soon to be laid off teachers?

They are creating jobs. Stimulus!!

BWillie
03-17-2010, 09:37 AM
Not really, no. The most obvious use would be immigration enforcement. INS/ICE is barred from accessing census data.

But hey, go on, be paranoid. It only costs the rest of us.

What about the Patriot Act? I should put down I live w/ Shareer Kareem Wahallah and that he is from Iran. See what happens.

Rain Man
03-17-2010, 09:42 AM
I got two! One for the Kansas house and one for the Missouri house. I'll wait until April 1 and see where I'll be. Choices, choices . .

Apparently, each person on the census is worth something like $10,000 in federal funds over the next decade. You should contact your congressmen in Kansas and Missouri and start playing them against each other. Tell them you want half of that $10,000, or you'll be in the other house on April 1st.

MTG#10
03-17-2010, 09:46 AM
Apparently, each person on the census is worth something like $10,000 in federal funds over the next decade. You should contact your congressmen in Kansas and Missouri and start playing them against each other. Tell them you want half of that $10,000, or you'll be in the other house on April 1st.

ROFL not a bad idea...:D

InChiefsHell
03-17-2010, 10:00 AM
I cut out my form's liver and ate it with some fava beans and a nice Chianti. Ftptptptptptpt.

Holy Crap, that's EXACTLY how you would spell that! Rep!

alnorth
03-17-2010, 10:13 AM

Every year you tell the IRS where you live, where you work, who you choose to donate money to, and how much you make. Your state knows where you live and what car you drive. State and federal law enforcement knows every single illegal thing you have ever done, even if the conviction is later expunged. Just about the only thing the government probably doesn't have is your credit score, but almost everyone else in the world has that, too.

In the world we live in today, privacy is a quaint myth. The government already knows everything about you, the census is just to get the information they need for apportionment in a way that saves money without the expense of tracking you down in various government databases.

The only intelligent reason not to fill out the census form (other than laziness) is because you strategically do not want your state or community to have more representation for political reasons. Other than that, the black-helicopter crowd are all basically acting like idiots because there is no such thing as privacy anymore. That died shortly after the invention of the computer.

Lumpy
03-17-2010, 10:46 AM
For some reason they asked if my cup size was at least a 34B!

Edit: I'm not positive, but I think I may have sent the government my Hooters application. Oops! LMAO

Rain Man
03-17-2010, 10:50 AM

Edit: I'm not positive, but I think I may have sent the government my Hooters application. Oops! LMAO

I think this is used to allocate federal dairy subsidies.

Sofa King
03-17-2010, 10:55 AM

go on......

DaFace
03-17-2010, 10:58 AM
This Census form was 100 times easier to fill out than the last one. This one took 5 minutes, the last one was like trying to get a job with the government. I am amazed they actually made something easier.

There are two forms of the census. The form most people are familiar with is the short one that just asks about how many people are in your household, their race, etc. There's also a longer survey called the "American Community Survey" that they send out to a sample of people EVERY year (not just every decade), which his probably what you're thinking of. (Although they used to call it simply the long-form Census back in 2000, so that could have been it.)

Stinger
03-17-2010, 11:18 AM

Won't matter you are under qualified .... you need to be a bigger boob to work for the government.

DenverDanChiefsFan
03-17-2010, 11:27 AM

Don't be a douche, fill it out and send it in. It's far from invasive and it's very useful locally.This.

Got mine yesterday and it was back in the mail today.

Cave Johnson
03-17-2010, 11:30 AM
What about the Patriot Act? I should put down I live w/ Shareer Kareem Wahallah and that he is from Iran. See what happens.

Right, because the cenus is the only way the FBI/CIA/NSA can discover this....

milkman
03-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Won't matter you are under qualified .... you need to be a bigger boob to work for the government.

So this site is infested with government workers?

petegz28
03-17-2010, 12:13 PM
I threw mine away.

Mine went to the trash dump yesterday.

CrazyPhuD
03-17-2010, 12:47 PM
I just told them I live in a 1bdrm apt with 60 Mexicans.

DaFace
03-17-2010, 12:51 PM
I guess I don't really get why people wouldn't just answer, and answer honestly. If you don't respond, they'll send someone to your house to ask (costing taxpayer dollars). If you respond dishonestly, they'll do the same (costing taxpayer dollars).

Regardless, there are a lot of decisions made based on census data (by business as well as government), so why not just make it easier for everyone involved?

CrazyPhuD
03-17-2010, 12:53 PM
I guess I don't really get why people wouldn't just answer, and answer honestly. If you don't respond, they'll send someone to your house to ask (costing taxpayer dollars). If you respond dishonestly, they'll do the same (costing taxpayer dollars).

Regardless, there are a lot of decisions made based on census data (by business as well as government), so why not just make it easier for everyone involved?

Simple I have zero loyalty to the state I live in. Since they go out of their way to make my life difficult, I see no problem in returning the favor.

DaFace
03-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Simple I have zero loyalty to the state I live in. Since they go out of their way to make my life difficult, I see no problem in returning the favor.

And do you enjoy the level of taxes you currently pay?

memyselfI
03-17-2010, 01:51 PM
I'm probably putting mine in my cat litter box for a week or two. Then I'll send it back. If I send it back.

Lumpy
03-17-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm probably putting mine in my cat litter box for a week or two. Then I'll send it back. If I send it back.

I would highly suggest sending it in. I'm sure that nothing would piss off kitty more than having a shit covered census in their litter box. :)

CrazyPhuD
03-17-2010, 02:05 PM
And do you enjoy the level of taxes you currently pay?

Well the nice thing is it's actually pretty difficult to raise additional taxes in CA, so loss of funding will result in leaner services. Plus I doubt I'll be here in 10 years so screw them.

kcfanXIII
03-17-2010, 02:07 PM

wouldn't two boobs be better than one though? even in the governments eyes?

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-17-2010, 03:45 PM

When was the last time the gov't did anything to make things easier for me? The fact that I need to pay someone to figure out how much I owe in income taxes is ridiculous. Fuck them.

memyselfI
03-17-2010, 03:58 PM

They know how many people are in a house if you file taxes and if you have a social security number. If you don't then what the hell is the likelihood that you will be filling out a form honestly in the first place? Besides, they can kiss my ass. They are taking more freedoms away DAILY. I'll send in the damn thing when and if I choose. *$^% em.

I choose to send it after my cat has pissed on it for a couple of weeks.

Iowanian
03-17-2010, 04:02 PM
Alot of people in the KC metro are employed by the census, maybe the person who opens up that cat piss filled envelop with be someone you know, and recognize the stench of your trailer....

Truthfully, I hope no one in California or other major metros fill out their forms. It's fine by me if the numbers of Denseville don't match up and you're short working age citizens for representation and job laborshed studies.

BIG_DADDY
03-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Alot of people in the KC metro are employed by the census, maybe the person who opens up that cat piss filled envelop with be someone you know, and recognize the stench of your trailer....

Truthfully, I hope no one in California or other major metros fill out their forms. It's fine by me if the numbers of Denseville don't match up and you're short working age citizens for representation and job laborshed studies.

Yea like they're not just going to fill in the blanks, they will. After all they are writing their own checks.

Iowanian
03-17-2010, 04:13 PM
theytheytheytheytheyrabblytheyerabblerabblerabbletheytheytheytheytheytheyrabblytheyerabblerabblerabb letheytheytheytheytheytheyrabblytheyerabblerabblerabbletheytheytheytheytheytheyrabblytheyerabblerabb lerabbletheytheytheytheytheytheyrabblytheyerabblerabblerabbletheytheytheytheytheytheyrabblytheyerabb lerabblerabblethey

"they" are invididual people, doing a job.

If you don't fill it out, don't complain about the changes to your school district boundaries, don't cry about lack of representation when you lose a state rep, no whining about lack of federal funding to your local community, refrain from grumbling about lack of new jobs in your area....

All of these things are affected by census data for the next decade, but don't spend 5 minutes filling out a form with harlmess, non-identifiable information.

memyselfI
03-17-2010, 04:16 PM
Civil disobedience, baby.

As long as I'm filing out my tax form honestly then they can kiss my ass because they know exactly how many people are in my home and they have their Gdam social security numbers to prove it.

My husband will likely fill it out because he doesn't want anyone coming to the door and having to tell them to "F off" in person. I'm trying to change his mind.

Iowanian
03-17-2010, 04:18 PM
talk about an all day proposition...

BIG_DADDY
03-17-2010, 04:21 PM
When was the last time the gov't did anything to make things easier for me? The fact that I need to pay someone to figure out how much I owe in income taxes is ridiculous. **** them.

The one time in my life when I was ever going to use the system is when I was first starting up a company and had partners. I was losing money as many businesses do when they start. Not all the partners wanted any Tom, Dick or Harry looking through our books though. I applied for the first time in my life for a little assistance on health insurance. They want all the books from the company which you simply cannot do. Tax filing will not work. When I got to the supervisor she told me that the system was supposed to be hard on people like me meaning business owners. So for all those people out there putting their ass on the line trying to create jobs in America this is what you have to look forward to. On the other hand if you are an illegal or just a total lazy fucking scumbag getting benefits is no problem. Welcome to the new America.

I don't give a fuck how much money the State receives. I don't give a rats ass if they fire 75% of the State employees and shut down the schools because I am not going to use them anyway and everyone seems to think that even giving me a small tax break would be out of line for sending my own kid to school and saving tax payers 10k a year. I don't even care if they fire 90% of the cops because I feel like I am living in a police state as it is as all these fucks try to justify their jobs and salaries right now.

As far as the census people are concerned, you can probably guess what I think of them.

talastan
03-17-2010, 04:40 PM
I haven't received mine yet, but it will have the number of people, and that's it. If they send someone to your house; tell them to leave your property. Simple as that. The only constitutional requirement for information is for enumeration. They can only require the number of people in your house. And that is all I'm going to give them. As far as federal dollars coming to my area, I really don't care. Those federal dollars come with strings attached, and I don't know too many decent hard working people that need the assistance anyway. They find a way to take care of themselves or my local church helps out as well. Most of the people who rely on those federal dollars in my area are deadbeats anyway and as far as schools go; My kids are homeschooled because of the stupidity of the local public school system.

DTLB58
03-17-2010, 08:04 PM
I haven't received mine yet, but it will have the number of people, and that's it. If they send someone to your house; tell them to leave your property. Simple as that. The only constitutional requirement for information is for enumeration. They can only require the number of people in your house. And that is all I'm going to give them. As far as federal dollars coming to my area, I really don't care. Those federal dollars come with strings attached, and I don't know too many decent hard working people that need the assistance anyway. They find a way to take care of themselves or my local church helps out as well. Most of the people who rely on those federal dollars in my area are deadbeats anyway and as far as schools go; My kids are homeschooled because of the stupidity of the local public school system.

Are you baricaded up in your house with
a bunch of armor, ammo and guns too?

Good grief.

I filled out mine last night. It took five minutes.
All they wanted was number of people in the house
their sex, age, race and how we are all related.
Really didn't have a problem giving that info out.

morphius
03-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Are you baricaded up in your house with
a bunch of armor, ammo and guns too?

Good grief.

I filled out mine last night. It took five minutes.
All they wanted was number of people in the house
their sex, age, race and how we are all related.
Really didn't have a problem giving that info out.
Well, it is hard to fit:
Wife/Cousin
Nephew/Son
Niece/Daughter/Ex-Sister In-Law
Terry sex unknown

on the form :D

(j/k Talastan)

Guru
03-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Remember, it's the LAW. Watch out for those fines.

DaFace
03-17-2010, 08:27 PM
For what it's worth, the federal law they are referring to basically says they can fine you $100 for not responding and $500 for providing false information. There's probably a 1% chance they'd actually enforce it, but it's there.

(a) Whoever, being over eighteen years of age, refuses or
willfully neglects, when requested by the Secretary, or by any
other authorized officer or employee of the Department of Commerce
or bureau or agency thereof acting under the instructions of the
Secretary or authorized officer, to answer, to the best of his
knowledge, any of the questions on any schedule submitted to him in
connection with any census or survey provided for by subchapters I,
II, IV, and V of chapter 5 of this title, applying to himself or to
the family to which he belongs or is related, or to the farm or
farms of which he or his family is the occupant, shall be fined not
more than $100.
(b) Whoever, when answering questions described in subsection (a)
of this section, and under the conditions or circumstances
described in such subsection, willfully gives any answer that is
false, shall be fined not more than $500.
(c) Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, no person
shall be compelled to disclose information relative to his
religious beliefs or to membership in a religious body.

BIG_DADDY
03-17-2010, 08:33 PM
Remember, it's the LAW. Watch out for those fines.

ROFL you're funny dude.

Guru
03-17-2010, 08:56 PM
ROFL you're funny dude.I found that warning on the front of the envelope funny as hell.:)

good luck enforcing that. heh

RJ
03-17-2010, 09:05 PM
There are plenty of reasons I can think of for distrust/paranoia concerning government. The census isn't one of them.

memyselfI
03-17-2010, 09:16 PM
For what it's worth, the federal law they are referring to basically says they can fine you $100 for not responding and $500 for providing false information. There's probably a 1% chance they'd actually enforce it, but it's there.

My cat can't read. :D

memyselfI
03-17-2010, 09:18 PM
There are plenty of reasons I can think of for distrust/paranoia concerning government. The census isn't one of them.

For me it's not trust. It's about them already having the information and me not needing to give it to them again.

LaChapelle
03-17-2010, 09:22 PM
I worked last census it's wild stuff
You check empty houses and under bridges
I found people there :eek:

Rain Man
03-17-2010, 09:22 PM
For me it's not trust. It's about them already having the information and me not needing to give it to them again.

So if they're collecting the census in March and the tax forms in April, you should fill out the census form and boycott the tax form.

cdcox
03-17-2010, 11:06 PM

If I ran the census, I'd put a $100 lien on every American and let them get it lifted once they turned their census in. Of course each person would need to prove that they are who they say they are. SS#, finger print, and a vault copy of their birth certificate should be sufficient.

See, it could be worse.

RJ
03-18-2010, 09:32 AM

So you prefer census workers calling you and/or knocking on your door to taking 5 minutes to fill out the form and stick it in the mail?

To each his own.

DaFace
03-18-2010, 11:55 AM
So you prefer census workers calling you and/or knocking on your door to taking 5 minutes to fill out the form and stick it in the mail?

To each his own.

Like I mentioned earlier, I find all the animosity a little surprising. I'll admit that I'm biased (we use Census data all the time), though.

Perhaps people don't realize how much businesses use the data - not just the big, evil government. It's a highly valuable resource to a ton of organizations, so I'm just surprised that everyone wants to make the process more difficult when it only takes a few minutes of time.

DenverDanChiefsFan
03-18-2010, 12:04 PM
I haven't received mine yet, but it will have the number of people, and that's it. If they send someone to your house; tell them to leave your property. Simple as that. The only constitutional requirement for information is for enumeration. They can only require the number of people in your house. And that is all I'm going to give them. As far as federal dollars coming to my area, I really don't care. Those federal dollars come with strings attached, and I don't know too many decent hard working people that need the assistance anyway. They find a way to take care of themselves or my local church helps out as well. Most of the people who rely on those federal dollars in my area are deadbeats anyway and as far as schools go; My kids are homeschooled because of the stupidity of the local public school system.I bet all you people bitching about this also bitch when the infrastructure (roads, bridges, damns) start failing. The census helps redirect federal/state funds to assist with projects like that. It helps redirect federal/state funds to help school districts.

But I am sure that all the "hardworking individuals" will pony up the money for these things to fix them on their own. :rolleyes:

Miles
03-19-2010, 01:26 AM
As long as I'm filing out my tax form honestly then they can kiss my ass because they know exactly how many people are in my home and they have their Gdam social security numbers to prove it.

No they don't. They don't know if anyone on your return is living in the same residence or even the same state.

philfree
03-19-2010, 02:00 AM
I got my Census form today...

A lot of folks tell me I should come to my senses....I say right back at'cha!

PhilFree:arrow:

kcfanXIII
03-19-2010, 02:04 AM
if it was just "how many people live here?" i could answer that. they don't really need any of the other info on me. those of you who are screaming doom and gloom if we don't fill them out, really? you think that the roads and bridges will fall apart, and the schools will fail (isn't that already happening?), and i'm the one in the tinfoil hat? gimme a break. as was stated, the gov does nothing to make my life easier. why should i make it easier on them? any census taker that knocks on my door, will be greeted with the same hospitality a kirby salesman gets. SLAM!

RJ
03-19-2010, 07:15 AM
if it was just "how many people live here?" i could answer that. they don't really need any of the other info on me. those of you who are screaming doom and gloom if we don't fill them out, really? you think that the roads and bridges will fall apart, and the schools will fail (isn't that already happening?), and i'm the one in the tinfoil hat? gimme a break. as was stated, the gov does nothing to make my life easier. why should i make it easier on them? any census taker that knocks on my door, will be greeted with the same hospitality a kirby salesman gets. SLAM!

What other info are they asking for that you don't wish to provide?

BigMeatballDave
03-19-2010, 07:59 AM
I've yet to get mine...
Posted via Mobile Device

Iowanian
03-19-2010, 11:16 AM

I know how the data is used on a local level, I know how it is used in economic development, I know how it is used for things like labor-shed studies that employers look at when considering available workforce. I know how age and sex information are used in grant applications, I know how median wage information can be used for grants, federal funding of local projects, and in job creation. It affects federal road money, school district boundaries, boundaries for state and national representation, council and supervisor districts, local election boundaries.....lots and lots of things.

The list of uses...real, viable, non-govt uses would be fairly long to type out.

Unlatch that tinfoil hat and spend 5 minutes for the good and stop being such conspiracy theorist, whackadoos.

Inspector
03-19-2010, 11:25 AM
I carefully read the statement: "Census results are used to decide the number of representatives each state has in the U.S. congress. The amount of government money your neighborhood receives also depends on these answers. That money is used for services for children and the elderly, roads, and many other local needs."

So I gave them the info they need for those purposes - how many of us are in my home and our ages.

I have not been able to figure out why anyone's race would impact those reasons whatsoever unless the funding was being allocated by the KKK or something. Of course I'm an anti race person and detest race ever being used except for medical purposes. Plus they had no classification for me anyway.

So, I did the good American thing as far as I'm concerned. Provided them what they needed - but maybe not all they wanted.

I also noted this statement: "The answers you give on the census form cannot be obtained by law enforcement or tax collection agancies. Your answers cannot be used in court. They cannot be obtained with a Freedom of information Act (FOIA) request."

Hmmmm....interesting.

alnorth
03-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Like I mentioned earlier, I find all the animosity a little surprising. I'll admit that I'm biased (we use Census data all the time), though.

Perhaps people don't realize how much businesses use the data - not just the big, evil government. It's a highly valuable resource to a ton of organizations, so I'm just surprised that everyone wants to make the process more difficult when it only takes a few minutes of time.

Pretty much. I know that we actually used census data in some west coast states to see how many single-family occupied homes existed to get a rough picture of our insurance market share. (total market share, including uninsured homes) Where do you go to find out how many houses exist in a certain county? We aren't a government agency. Without the census, you simply cant do it.

alnorth
03-19-2010, 11:32 AM
I know how the data is used on a local level, I know how it is used in economic development, I know how it is used for things like labor-shed studies that employers look at when considering available workforce. I know how age and sex information are used in grant applications, I know how median wage information can be used for grants, federal funding of local projects, and in job creation. It affects federal road money, school district boundaries, boundaries for state and national representation, council and supervisor districts, local election boundaries.....lots and lots of things.

The list of uses...real, viable, non-govt uses would be fairly long to type out.

Unlatch that tinfoil hat and spend 5 minutes for the good and stop being such conspiracy theorist, whackadoos.

Census data is also used by a lot of private for-profit corporations in a variety of industries. I'd imagine a lot of these right-wing "I dont trust no gub'mint" folks wouldn't be opposed to helping these private for-profit employers.

Elwaysux
03-19-2010, 11:54 AM
I filled mine out and put down American as my race.

Guru
11-28-2010, 12:08 PM
WTF? First we fill out a Census form earlier this year and now we get this even longer American Community Survey that is required by law that we fill out. This thing is ridiculous.

Rain Man
11-28-2010, 12:09 PM
WTF? First we fill out a Census form earlier this year and now we get this even longer American Community Survey that is required by law that we fill out. This thing is ridiculous.

You got the ACS? You got the ACS? That's so cool.

chasedude
11-28-2010, 12:10 PM

I have never heard of this before.

Guru
11-28-2010, 12:10 PM
You got the ACS? You got the ACS? That's so cool.

Told my wife that she can fill it out. I did the Census already.

Rain Man
11-28-2010, 12:11 PM
I have never heard of this before.

It's the coolest thing ever. It replaced the long form of the census starting in 2005.

Guru
12-16-2010, 10:46 PM
Finally got around to filling this out. What a friggin pain in the ass. Now I just have to go pull out my tax returns so I can tell them all the financial crap they ALREADY KNOW.

What a waste of time.