PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Draft Philosophy?

SDChiefs
03-17-2010, 04:12 PM
I got to thinking that we could, potentially, drastically improve one side of the ball in this draft by focusing our first 2 rds on one side, as opposed to mix and match improving each side just slightly. Im not sure which boat I am in (I think either would be great) but with a deep defensive draft we could always focus on that in the later rounds and offense in the first two.

Examples:

Offense- Clausen/Tate/OL

Defense- Berry/Spikes/Cody

These are just examples but hopefully you get the idea. I don't recall ever discussing it and I did not use the search feature so if repost....Sorry. What say the masses?

Pestilence
03-17-2010, 04:17 PM
BPA

boogblaster
03-17-2010, 04:27 PM
D .. is needed badly .. OL has to improve .. but the whole it is D .. we played first half games then couldn't adjust at half to finish .. only bout 4 games were we blown out from the start ...

Kyle DeLexus
03-17-2010, 04:27 PM
BPA

This. And in this draft, that will probably be a lot of defense.

Pablo
03-17-2010, 04:28 PM
PUT THIS IN DRAFTPLANET, ASSHOLE.

SDChiefs
03-17-2010, 04:29 PM
D .. is needed badly .. OL has to improve .. but the whole it is D .. we played first half games then couldn't adjust at half to finish .. only bout 4 games were we blown out from the start ...

True, but being a defense heavy draft we could still focus the later rounds on that. Im not advocating ignoring one side completely, just maybe doing so in the first two rounds.

Donger
03-17-2010, 04:29 PM
PUT THIS IN DRAFTPLANET, ASSHOLE.

LMAO

Donger
03-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Go jump off a bridge douche. Do the world a favor. You don't like it. Don't click on the link. Gee, theres a concept. Its great that it has gotten that we can't even discuss football on a FOOTBALL board. STFU

I'm not really qualified to opine on the subject, but I think that the Chiefs will attempt to get the best players they can for their respective positions.

Pablo
03-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Go jump off a bridge douche. Do the world a favor. You don't like it. Don't click on the link. Gee, theres a concept. Its great that it has gotten that we can't even discuss football on a FOOTBALL board. STFUSome folks don't keep up on their cross-thread humor.

*Tisk-tisk*

Pablo
03-17-2010, 04:36 PM
I'm not really qualified to opine on the subject, but I think that the Chiefs will attempt to get the best players they can for their respective positions.Dude, we all know you haven't broke down any game tape. Save us the ill-informed opinion, please.

K.Thnx.Bye.

milkman
03-17-2010, 05:01 PM
BPA

This.

You don't focus on a side of the ball, or a specific position, you take the best player available, and where there's players that are close in terms of talent, you take the best player that fills the bigger hole.

philfree
03-17-2010, 05:03 PM
This draft has alot of good D players who will be available in the first two rounds. If we are going to build one side then the other I go D first. 3 out of the 1st four picks on D.

PhilFree:arrow:

philfree
03-17-2010, 05:05 PM
This.

You don't focus on a side of the ball, or a specific position, you take the best player available, and where there's players that are close in terms of talent, you take the best player that fills the bigger hole.

As much as I agree about BPA I think it's almost a myth. All teams draft for need.

PhilFree:arrow:

Ralphy Boy
03-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Teams almost never intentionally focus on a given side of the ball, at least they wouldn't admit to it even if their picks went that way, but it happens.

That said, given what we have done so far this offseason and the way that I think the draft will play out, I wouldn't be shocked and it wouldn't bother me one bit to go defense with our first 4 picks.
I'd do backflips if we got:
1 Eric Berry, FS
2a Jerry Hughes, OLB
2b Cam Thomas, NT
3 Kam Chancellor, SS

I realize some of those guys could very well be gone by those picks; just saying "if they are there".

The wide receivers that are likely to be available and projected to be worth the pick, in the first few rounds aren't that strong or have injury issues (Demaryius Thomas) so I don't see us really falling in love with any of them.

Then they could shift the focus to the offense or BAA.

4 Eric Olsen, C - I don't see Charlie passing on him and Weigmann isn't a long term solution.

Then in the 5th they could go any number of ways
Add a RT like: Ed Wang, Sam Young, Chris Scott
followed by TE Clay Harbor, I really want him to be a Chief and he could go in the 4th
Then a WR like: Freddie Barnes, Alexander or David Gettis

Ralphy Boy
03-17-2010, 05:14 PM
This.

You shouldn't focus on a side of the ball, or a specific position, you should take the best player available, and where there's players that are close in terms of talent, you should take the best player that fills the bigger hole.

fyp

SDChiefs
03-17-2010, 05:19 PM
This.

What would you consider the bigger hole, if say, Clausen and Berry were on the board and youre stuck choosing one?

milkman
03-17-2010, 05:38 PM
What would you consider the bigger hole, if say, Clausen and Berry were on the board and youre stuck choosing one?

Since I don't consider Clausen a franchise QB prospect, I take Berry.

If the choice were between Berry and a franchise QB then I would take the franchise QB.

If the Chiefs think Clausen is a franchise QB and they pass on him because of Cassel, then they should all be drawn and quartered.

In the end, it's subjective.

If they take Okung, Bulaga, Dan Williams, or McClain and pass on Berry, I will be pissed.

If they take Clausen and pass on Berry, I won't be pissed.

At least they will show they aren't stubborn and are willing to fix a mistake.

ChiefsCountry
03-17-2010, 06:35 PM
This is a very, very, very deep defensive draft. We could totaly fix our defense and combined with our young talent on defense - we could be in really good shape.

milkman
03-17-2010, 06:40 PM
This is a very, very, very deep defensive draft. We could totaly fix our defense and combined with our young talent on defense - we could be in really good shape.

True.

However, if Golden Tate were sitting there at the Chiefs first second round pick, you'd almost certainly have to take him.

Hog Farmer
03-17-2010, 06:43 PM
You know, this might be stuped but I've always thought if I was GM/HC I would continually draft defense and build offense through FA. Here's why.

You need a defense that is fast and talented and can get to the ball in a hurry. that takes youth. If you picked up 5 or 6 picks every year on defense you would always have that and you would not have a lot of money tied up in them .

On offense ther are always FA's available that will upgrade your team. Spend your money on them . Get 3 or 4 FA's every year that are an upgrade. Just be aggressive when they are available.

Just my thought.

Tribal Warfare
03-17-2010, 06:44 PM
BPA

I second this

Tribal Warfare
03-17-2010, 06:45 PM

Clausen without blinking an eye

Chiefs=Good
03-17-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm not really qualified to opine on the subject, but I think that the Chiefs will attempt to get the best players they can for their respective positions.

It should be noted that the opposite of this opinion is why many folks are against the destruction of draftplanet...

CoMoChief
Always draft a OT in the first rd.

Sincerely,
True fan.

Hog Farmer
And if you look at who's available this year you'll see my point. Six good RB, 2 or 3 Ol, TO is available every year, Quarterback is the only position we need to draft a franchise player.

Mr. Laz
03-17-2010, 07:29 PM
it's different for each team depending on their current level of talent and readiness to win. It's also different depending on which round you are talking about.

imo in the 1st round you should take 3 things into considering

1. Talent
2. Impact
3. character

pretty much strictly BPA in the 1st round because you want studs. I also don't think you should let what's going to be available in later rounds influence your pick in the 1st round. Blue chips studs and you get the best one you can get ... period.

As you go down in rounds the talent level drops and the more need comes into play.

Ralphy Boy
03-17-2010, 07:38 PM
True.

However, if Golden Tate were sitting there at the Chiefs first second round pick, you'd almost certainly have to take him.

Welcome to the world of "Duh!"

milkman
03-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Welcome to the world of "Duh!"

The point is that you simply don't walk into the draft with the idea of fixing a unit, but rather go into it looking for the best talent, "reguardless".

milkman
03-17-2010, 07:45 PM
And FTR I really don't think all that highly of Tate, I just used him as an example since so many others are high on him.

Ralphy Boy
03-17-2010, 08:40 PM
The point is that you simply don't walk into the draft with the idea of fixing a unit, but rather go into it looking for the best talent, "reguardless".

And FTR I really don't think all that highly of Tate, I just used him as an example since so many others are high on him.

Yeah I got your point. Mine is that I already said I don't think that a WR that is worth the pick will be available when we draft. If Tate were there, I'd JIMP.