PDA

View Full Version : Football Seahawks trade for Charlie Whitehurst

Pestilence
03-17-2010, 05:32 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/15707/seahawks-betting-big-on-whitehurst

Charlie Whitehurst had better become more than a backup after the Seahawks paid handsomely for the Chargers' third-string quarterback Wednesday.

Charlie Whitehurst looks to be the heir apparent to Matt Hasselbeck in Seattle. Seattle agreed to move down 20 spots in the second round and part with a 2011 third-rounder to acquire Whitehurst from San Diego. The Seahawks go from holding the 40th overall choice, worth 500 points on the NFL draft trade value chart, to holding the 60th choice, worth 300 points. The 2011 third-round choice translates in value to a 2010 fourth-rounder, valued between 44 and 112 points.

A pick in the middle of the fourth round would be worth about 70 points. That means the Seahawks are parting with 270 points in draft capital to make this deal. The final pick of the second round is worth 270 points.

The price is a bargain if Whitehurst turns into a good starter for the Seahawks after signing what is expected to be a two-year deal worth about $5 million annually. With other teams trading quarterbacks for a discount, the Seahawks are betting on Whitehurst to become a meaningful addition. They also faced competition from Arizona, which probably drove up the price. Not having a 2010 third-round choice also limited their options somewhat.

Assuming Matt Hasselbeck remains in place, this move could diminish the likelihood of the Seahawks drafting a quarterback in the first round. At the very least, it says the Seahawks do not see a quarterback worth drafting early after Sam Bradford and Jimmy Clausen come off the board.

Pestilence
03-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Seahawks gave QB Charlie Whitehurst a two-year, $10 million contract -- unprecedented for a veteran who never has started an NFL game.

Bane
03-17-2010, 05:34 PM
WOW!:eek:

Basileus777
03-17-2010, 05:36 PM
What the hell....

CoMoChief
03-17-2010, 05:37 PM
ROFL at Pete Carroll

chefsos
03-17-2010, 05:40 PM
I had no idea that Whitehurst was still in the league.

Basileus777
03-17-2010, 05:42 PM
How do you give up a 3rd and a swap of 2nds for a QB that was taken in the late 3rd four years ago and hasn't played? And then you give him a nice extension? Either Pete Carroll knows something we don't or he's crazy.

-King-
03-17-2010, 05:47 PM
DAMMIT PIOLI!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Bane
03-17-2010, 05:47 PM
He came out of Clemson right?For some reason I remember watching a few of his games years ago(I think).He's ok I guess,but clearly no Matt Cassel.

-King-
03-17-2010, 05:50 PM
And he's 27...
Posted via Mobile Device

CoMoChief
03-17-2010, 05:51 PM
We should've traded Cassel to SEA, and have them give us some picks and Hasselbeck.

Then Draft a QB next year. Keep Croyle as a backup.

Short Leash Hootie
03-17-2010, 05:53 PM
3...2...1....until Mecca chimes in with a "wow A.J. Smith is such a great GM!"

Short Leash Hootie
03-17-2010, 05:54 PM
How do you give up a 3rd and a swap of 2nds for a QB that was taken in the late 3rd four years ago and hasn't played? And then you give him a nice extension? Either Pete Carroll knows something we don't or he's crazy.

well Smith did a great job creating a market for him...that's for sure

Basileus777
03-17-2010, 05:55 PM
3...2...1....until Mecca chimes in with a "wow A.J. Smith is such a great GM!"

Well Smith did a great job here, though he's hasn't done a such great job the past few years.

RJ
03-17-2010, 06:02 PM
I vaguely remember Whitehurst. Vaguely.

How much partying do you think is going on at his house right now? Dude has got to be pinching himself.

milkman
03-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Well Smith did a great job here, though he's hasn't done a such great job the past few years.

AJ Smith is quietly becoming Carlesque.

He has done a solid job of building a team with the talent to compete while providing them with the coaching to hold them back.

Buck
03-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Sweet. Now we can get a NT and a decent RB
Posted via Mobile Device

suds79
03-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Well shoot.

Guess this means we can't dangle the Clausen carrot in front of Cleveland now saying "if you want him, you'd better jump Seattle."

I don't know what's up with this move? Does this mean Witehurst is Seattle's QBOTF?

milkman
03-17-2010, 06:42 PM
Well shoot.

Guess this means we can't dangle the Clausen carrot in front of Cleveland now saying "if you want him, you'd better jump Seattle."

I don't know what's up with this move? Does this mean Witehurst is Seattle's QBOTF?

We can, however, still play Buffalo and Cleveland against each other.

Pestilence
03-17-2010, 06:42 PM

I have no idea where you could find that information.

Charlie Whitehurst looks to be the heir apparent to Matt Hasselbeck in Seattle.

:facepalm:

Gadzooks
03-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Sweet. Now we can get a NT and a decent RB
Posted via Mobile Device

This!:clap:
I believe, Whitehurst was taken 4 picks before Croyle.

Ralphy Boy
03-17-2010, 06:45 PM
And here I was waiting for the "Matt Leinart to Seattle" trade rumors to begin.

Chocolate Hog
03-17-2010, 06:48 PM
I have no idea where you could find that information.

:facepalm:

What's wrong with that? Whitehurst was a good QB in college.

Pestilence
03-17-2010, 06:49 PM
What's wrong with that? Whitehurst was a good QB in college.

You obviously weren't picking up what I was putting down.

easymobee
03-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Steep price. When Carroll takes some high profile college coaching job in a few years because he sucked in the NFL again, this is the trade that will lead off the sportscenter segment.

SD is good at this. Vick for the LT package. Eli for Rivers and Merriman package, and now this.

Seahawks should have had some sort of leverage with the price that was set by the BQ trade, but still they were raped.
Posted via Mobile Device

RedThat
03-17-2010, 07:02 PM
I could understand why the compensation to get Whitehurst was pretty steep. He signed a one-year tender.

Fritz88
03-17-2010, 07:04 PM
wtf

the Talking Can
03-17-2010, 07:12 PM
wow

the chargers with the sweet deal

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-17-2010, 07:12 PM
From Coach Fredo to GM Fredo.

Pioli needs to be making as many deals with the Seahawks as humanly possible before the rest of the league catches on to how fucking stupid Carroll is.

DeezNutz
03-17-2010, 07:14 PM
From Coach Fredo to GM Fredo.

Pioli needs to be making as many deals with the Seahawks as humanly possible before the rest of the league catches on to how ****ing stupid Carroll is.

It's amazing how his intelligence level changed so quickly after leaving USC.

Further proof that those people who argued that Herm would be successful as a college coach are crazy.

the Talking Can
03-17-2010, 07:18 PM
Croyle would be worth 2 firsts

Ebolapox
03-17-2010, 07:20 PM
really? REALLY?

DTLB58
03-17-2010, 07:21 PM
:cuss:AJ Smith is quietly becoming Carlesque.

He has done a solid job of building a team with the talent to compete while providing them with the coaching to hold them back.

:clap:

Chocolate Hog
03-17-2010, 07:21 PM
You obviously weren't picking up what I was putting down.

I woldn't have traded 2nds but what are you putting down young man? This is great for us.

suds79
03-17-2010, 07:24 PM
We can, however, still play Buffalo and Cleveland against each other.

Ah good point. Well all is not lost then. Still have options.

suds79
03-17-2010, 07:27 PM
I woldn't have traded 2nds but what are you putting down young man? This is great for us.

He's pointing out to the part of the article that I missed when I questioned how Whitehurst is the QBOTF. Simple as that. Still hard to believe but appears to be true.

Chocolate Hog
03-17-2010, 07:28 PM
He's pointing out to the part of the article that I missed when I questioned how Whitehurst is the QBOTF. Simple as that. Still hard to believe but appears to be true.

Yea I just read the bold part.

DaFace
03-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Seems appropriate.

http://bytesizebio.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/lolwut.jpg

Mr. Flopnuts
03-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Indeed. And while we're at it, let's include the version of this picture for true fans.

http://caspianroach.ru/img/I_UNDERSTAND_COMPLETELY.jpg

KCDC
03-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Horrible news! Not only did SD get an absolute steal (should have been wearing a mask when they did this trade), it greatly aided a Division rival, it removed Seattle from the QB mix, and it destroyed our leverage with Cleveland to trade down if Clausen was still on the board. This is about the worst news we have gotten this offseason, IMO. The Quinn to Denver trade was bad enough, since the Donks gave up nothing.

So, Cleveland won't give us squat to trade up, unless they want Berry. They know we won't draft Clausen (unless Weiss seizes hostages and refuses to release them until he is drafted), and now Cleveland knows that Seattle won't draft him. So, the Brownies have to wait and see if he gets by the Redskins. If so, they have a lock on him.

So, that gives us a bit of leverage with Buffalo. But, that leverage just evaporated as well. Buffalo now no longer has to trade with us to get Clausen. They can now trade with Seattle to get him, and get him cheaper. Plus, Pete Carroll has shown himself to be a complete sucker in the trade market, so people will be flocking to trade with him. Hell Carroll might switch picks with Buffalo for a 2013 7th round pick.

Dammit. Well, so much for trading down. It is either Berry or the best available OT. Sorta takes all the fun out of the draft now. *sigh*

bowener
03-17-2010, 08:36 PM
I vaguely remember Whitehurst. Vaguely.

How much partying do you think is going on at his house right now? Dude has got to be pinching himself.

Nah, he's wearing seahawks green now. He's safe from the pinching.

Gadzooks
03-17-2010, 09:13 PM
So far, this is a great deal for the Bolts and Whitehurst.
Whitehurst has all of the measurables and has played well in preseason games (against inferior competition and with the exception of last year), but he hasn’t stood a chance at playing. Now he’s a 10 millionaire. Good for him.
Only time will tell if the Seahawks did well in this deal and if Whitehurst is a top 15 QB, the deal will be worth it for them IMO.
This trade speaks volumes on the Hags opinion of Bradford and Clausen

Pasta Giant Meatball
03-17-2010, 09:38 PM
You have got to be F'n kidding me. WTF is Seattle thinking? :spock:

DaneMcCloud
03-17-2010, 11:01 PM
Seems appropriate.

http://bytesizebio.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/lolwut.jpg

How did you post this large pic? Mine always end up as tiny thumbnails.

Ebolapox
03-17-2010, 11:13 PM
How did you post this large pic? Mine always end up as tiny thumbnails.

you click the tiny little icon 'insert image' in the reply, and use the link to the picture. that, or you could use a bit of html (img src="....LINK TO PICTURE...) (note, instead of ('s use <'s)