PDA

View Full Version : Int'l Issues Al-Qaeda crippled as leaders stay in hiding.

Direckshun
03-17-2010, 06:34 PM
Credit where it's motherfucking due.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/17/AR2010031702558.html?hpid=topnews

Al-Qaeda crippled as leaders stay in hiding, CIA chief says
By Joby Warrick and Peter Finn
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, March 17, 2010; 5:15 PM

Relentless attacks against al-Qaeda in the Pakistan tribal region appear to have driven Osama bin Laden and other top leaders deeper into hiding, leaving the organization rudderless and less capable of planning sophisticated operations, CIA Director Leon Panetta said Wednesday.

So profound is al-Qaeda's disarray that one of its lieutenants, in a recently intercepted message, pleaded to bin Laden to come to the group's rescue and provide some leadership, Panetta told The Washington Post in an interview.

Panetta credited an increasingly aggressive campaign against al-Qaeda and its Taliban allies, including more frequent strikes and better coordination with Pakistan, in a near-acknowledgement of the CIA's war against extremists in Pakistan. He called it "the most aggressive operation that CIA has been involved in in our history."

"Those operations are seriously disrupting al-Qaeda," Panetta said. "It's pretty clear from all the intelligence we are getting that they are having a very difficult time putting together any kind of command and control, that they are scrambling. And that we really do have them on the run."

The comments came as a senior U.S. intelligence official revealed new details of a March 8 killing of a top al-Qaeda commander in the militant stronghold of Miram Shah in North Waziristan, in Pakistan's autonomous tribal region. The al-Qaeda official died in what local news reports described as a missile strike by a unmanned aerial vehicle. The CIA formally declines to acknowledge U.S. participation in such attacks inside Pakistani territory.

Hussein al-Yemeni, the man killed in the attack, was identified by an intelligence official as among al-Qaeda's top 20 leaders and a participant in the planning for a Dec. 30 suicide bombing at a CIA base in the province of Khost in eastern Afghanistan.

Panetta's upbeat remarks during a 40-minute interview contrasted with recent U.S. intelligence assessments of continuing terrorist threats against the U.S. homeland, and in the wake of the suicide attack, in which a Jordanian double-agent was able to gain access to a CIA base and kill nine intelligence operatives.

Panetta acknowledged that al-Qaeda was continuing to look for ways to kill Americans and was specifically seeking to recruit people who lacked criminal records or known ties to terrorist groups to carry out missions.

Still, the CIA under the Obama administration is "without question putting tremendous pressure on their operation," Panetta said. "The president gave us the mission to disrupt, dismantle and defeat al-Qaeda and their military allies and I think that's what we are trying to do."

Counting the March 8 operation, the agency is believed to have mounted 22 such strikes this year, putting the CIA on course to exceed last year's roughly 53 strikes, a record. The March 8 event was believed to have been the first to occur in an urban area; the U.S. intelligence official familiar with the operation said the building targeted had housed "a large number of al-Qaeda" fighters who were in the process of developing explosives. There were no other casualties, said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the agency's operations in the region are classified.

Panetta, while declining to comment on the strike itself, said the death of the al-Qaeda commander sent a "very important signal that they are not going to be able to hide in urban areas."

He also cited recent arrests of top Taliban figures -- mostly notably Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, captured in Karachi on Feb. 8 -- as tangible evidence of improving ties with Pakistan's intelligence service. He said Pakistan had given the CIA access to Baradar since his capture, and added, "we're getting intelligence" from the interrogation.

Panetta, who marked his first anniversary as CIA director last month, acknowledged that the agency did not know precisely where bin Laden and his top deputy, Ayman al-Zawahiri, are hiding, but he said agency officials believe the two are inside Pakistan, "either in the northern tribal areas or in North Waziristan, or somewhere in that vicinity."

While there have been no confirmed sightings of either man since 2003, the continued pressure increases the opportunities for catching one or both, he said. "We thought that the increased pressure would do one of two things: that it would either bring them out to try to exert some leadership in what is an organization in real trouble, or that they would go deeper into hiding," Panetta said. "And so far we think they are going deeper into hiding."

But Panetta also expressed concern about the proliferation of suspects, both domestic and foreign, who are primed to attack Western targets, but have no previous record. He pointed to Najibullah Zazi, the Afghan immigrant who targeted the New York subway system, and recently pleaded guilty to terrorism charges, and Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, the Nigerian charged with attempting to detonate explosives on a commercial flight about to land in Detroit.

"How many other Zazis are there? The people who have a clean record who suddenly for some crazy reason decide to get involved with jihad," said Panetta. "The bomber in Detroit. This person suddenly goes off, has a U.S. visa, and within 30 days he's recruited to strap a bomb on and come to this country. What we are seeing is that they are now looking for those kind of clean credentials."

Staff researcher Julie Tate contributed to this report.

mlyonsd
03-17-2010, 06:41 PM
Kudo's to Obama for keeping up the attack.

BigRedChief
03-17-2010, 07:05 PM
WTF Dierkshun didn't you get the memo? Obama is a wimp who is not respected by anyone little own terriosts and all he does is apologize for our past actions to unworthy countries.

Chief Faithful
03-17-2010, 07:14 PM
People ask me if there are Obama policies or things he has done that I like? His CIA war against Al-Queda in Pakistan is a yes.

mlyonsd
03-17-2010, 07:38 PM
WTF Dierkshun didn't you get the memo? Obama is a wimp who is not respected by anyone little own terriosts and all he does is apologize for our past actions to unworthy countries.

Don't kid yourself, Obama's spine grew a little bit watching his predecessor.

LOCOChief
03-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Don't kid yourself, Obama's spine grew a little bit watching his predecessor.

Ah yeah what grew?
ROFL

fan4ever
03-17-2010, 08:48 PM
This is funny. Direckshun and BigRedChief think conservatives react like they likely would; take a negative reaction to a president we didn't vote for, no matter what the topic. Instead they find that we actually applaud Obama when he does something right, like this. Truth is we'd love to see him do more things right.

Saul Good
03-17-2010, 08:52 PM
How do you say "Hope and Change" in Latin? Is it "status quo"?

Duck Dog
03-17-2010, 09:47 PM
I thought it didn't matter if the leaders were killed or in hiding because there are always others ready to take their place. At least that's what libs were saying when Bush was killing them.

wazu
03-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Seems like I've read this article before, at least once a year, for the last 8 years or so.

beer bacon
03-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Obama killing browns? At least he is doing something right! Now he just needs to invade Iran or one of those other deserts over there.

Maggot Brain
03-18-2010, 06:56 AM
Props to Obama for staying the course in Iraq and ramping it up in Afghanistan.

penchief
03-18-2010, 06:59 AM

I thought he was "disarming" America. Is he or isn't he?

Amnorix
03-18-2010, 07:24 AM
This is funny. Direckshun and BigRedChief think conservatives react like they likely would; take a negative reaction to a president we didn't vote for, no matter what the topic. Instead they find that we actually applaud Obama when he does something right, like this. Truth is we'd love to see him do more things right.

Most on the left applauded AFghanistan, taking out the Taliban, and going after Al Queda. It was his massive distraction/divergence into Iraq that we disagreed with.

KC Jones
03-18-2010, 07:29 AM
Most on the left applauded AFghanistan, taking out the Taliban, and going after Al Queda. It was his massive distraction/divergence into Iraq that we disagreed with.

That's totally uncalled for. There is no reason to bring reality into this forum.

Iowanian
03-18-2010, 07:30 AM
good.

Kill them all and bury them in pork lard.

NewChief
03-18-2010, 08:59 AM
I heard a similar report to this on NPR yesterday. They also mentioned that many intelligence experts, while conceding that Al Qaeda has been disrupted, question whether the drone attacks and missile strikes are worth the overall cost in the good will of the Afghan/Paki people. Evidently they really, really get pissed off at the collateral damage.

Donger
03-18-2010, 09:04 AM
Good, but I thought Direckshun didn't agree with our fight against Al-Qaeda and the Taliban?

jiveturkey
03-18-2010, 09:35 AM
I heard a similar report to this on NPR yesterday. They also mentioned that many intelligence experts, while conceding that Al Qaeda has been disrupted, question whether the drone attacks and missile strikes are worth the overall cost in the good will of the Afghan/Paki people. Evidently they really, really get pissed off at the collateral damage.I'd rather them be pissed about collateral damage than us loose more guys from door to door combat.

fan4ever
03-18-2010, 10:14 AM

Iraq really isn't my point; it's more about who gives props when they're due and I think conservatives are more forthright about such matters. For the most part we freely admit numerous issues with Bush's leadership; don't see much of that with liberals and the job Obama's doing...and considering the country's status...

fan4ever
03-18-2010, 10:17 AM
I'd rather them be pissed about collateral damage than us loose more guys from door to door combat.

Collateral damage on a drone hit doesn't make the news splash that a car bomb being smuggled into Baghdad, killing American soldiers does.

Amnorix
03-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Iraq really isn't my point; it's more about who gives props when they're due and I think conservatives are more forthright about such matters. For the most part we freely admit numerous issues with Bush's leadership; don't see much of that with liberals and the job Obama's doing...and considering the country's status...

Honestly, that's a perception thing. You are filtering things your way, and liberals filter theirs their way.

But believe me, you're not correct if you think that Republicans were more critical of Bush than liberlas are of Obama, or if you think Republicans are more supportive of those few things Obama does that they agree with, than liberals were of Bush on those few things they agreed with.

It's just perception. Mine is 180 degrees from yours, but I know I'm filtering the same way.

Amnorix
03-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Collateral damage on a drone hit doesn't make the news splash that a car bomb being smuggled into Baghdad, killing American soldiers does.

Taht depends entirely on where the news is being broadcast, I'd imagine.

Amnorix
03-18-2010, 10:22 AM
I heard a similar report to this on NPR yesterday. They also mentioned that many intelligence experts, while conceding that Al Qaeda has been disrupted, question whether the drone attacks and missile strikes are worth the overall cost in the good will of the Afghan/Paki people. Evidently they really, really get pissed off at the collateral damage.

That's why there is a new, very stringent policy in place to try to avoid collateral damage, as maddening as that is.

fan4ever
03-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Honestly, that's a perception thing. You are filtering things your way, and liberals filter theirs their way.

But believe me, you're not correct if you think that Republicans were more critical of Bush than liberlas are of Obama, or if you think Republicans are more supportive of those few things Obama does that they agree with, than liberals were of Bush on those few things they agreed with.

It's just perception. Mine is 180 degrees from yours, but I know I'm filtering the same way.

Well to quote Carly Simon "All I know is what I see".

I have a REALLY hard time conceding your point on Obama being criticized as much as Bush by their constituency. In virtually all of my conversations with my liberal friends, and I'm often outnumbered at my gatherings, I often acknowledged shortcomings of the Republican leadership while my liberal friends rarely, if ever, acquiesce about such feelings about their leadership. I see very little of it here in D.C. and see it rarely in my private life...but I totally get what you're saying.

fan4ever
03-18-2010, 10:39 AM
Taht depends entirely on where the news is being broadcast, I'd imagine.

Agreed; I'm talking about the political decision of how you handle the manuevers here at home.

Saggysack
03-18-2010, 11:28 AM

Buy some new glasses. ;)

Bill Parcells
03-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Good, but I thought Direckshun didn't agree with our fight against Al-Qaeda and the Taliban?

He proudly wears his Iranian flag in his never ending fight against Zionist aggression. direckshunamadjenan

Rain Man
03-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Bin Laden is probably in a cave in his underwear somewhere all depressed, eating Doritos and playing an old version of Grand Theft Auto, and his lieutenants are saying, "Dude, come on. You have to get off your a** and get back in the game," and he's all like, "I can't even update my Facebook status any more. Everyone hates me."

mlyonsd
03-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Bin Laden is probably in a cave in his underwear somewhere all depressed, eating Doritos and playing an old version of Grand Theft Auto, and his lieutenants are saying, "Dude, come on. You have to get off your a** and get back in the game," and he's all like, "I can't even update my Facebook status any more. Everyone hates me."

I wonder if anyone's thought of trailing all Frito-Lay trucks in Pakistan.

Amnorix
03-18-2010, 11:49 AM

I have a REALLY hard time conceding your point on Obama being criticized as much as Bush by their constituency. In virtually all of my conversations with my liberal friends, and I'm often outnumbered at my gatherings, I often acknowledged shortcomings of the Republican leadership while my liberal friends rarely, if ever, acquiesce about such feelings about their leadership. I see very little of it here in D.C. and see it rarely in my private life...but I totally get what you're saying.

Well, look, Obama has only had a year. While there are elements of what's going on that I"m thoroughly unthrilled with (especially the debt/deficit), I'm not quite ready to get off the bus. Taht said, I abstained in voting in the Mass Senatorial election because I thought a "status quo" message was not one I was interested in sending.

At the end of the day, you're going ot have 30 or so percent at either end of the spectrum that will support "their guy" just about no matter what, and the battle is to get 21% or more of the remaining 40%.

fan4ever
03-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Buy some new glasses. ;)

Actually I expected somebody to say "Carly Simon; man you're old".

patteeu
03-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Seems like I've read this article before, at least once a year, for the last 8 years or so.

This is true. But it's better reading this than reading about how we're pulling out and leaving *insert_country_name_here* to al Qaeda and our other islamist enemies.

Kudos to Obama for continuing the resistance to islamist extremism on at least this front.

patteeu
03-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Props to Obama for staying the course in Iraq and ramping it up in Afghanistan.

This remains to be seen, IMO.

go bowe
03-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Kudo's to Obama for keeping up the attack.i knew you would eventually come over from the dark side...

go bowe
03-18-2010, 01:01 PM
People ask me if there are Obama policies or things he has done that I like? His CIA war against Al-Queda in Pakistan is a yes.and now you're coming over from the dark side too?

go bowe
03-18-2010, 01:02 PM
This is funny. Direckshun and BigRedChief think conservatives react like they likely would; take a negative reaction to a president we didn't vote for, no matter what the topic. Instead they find that we actually applaud Obama when he does something right, like this. Truth is we'd love to see him do more things right.and now you? this is becoming an epidemic...

go bowe
03-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Obama killing browns? At least he is doing something right! Now he just needs to invade Iran or one of those other deserts over there.and you too? this is almost scary...

you guys make an obamabot like me "so very happy"/blood sweat & tears

go bowe
03-18-2010, 01:06 PM
Props to Obama for staying the course in Iraq and ramping it up in Afghanistan.welcome to the planet...

go bowe
03-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Iraq really isn't my point; it's more about who gives props when they're due and I think conservatives are more forthright about such matters. For the most part we freely admit numerous issues with Bush's leadership; don't see much of that with liberals and the job Obama's doing...and considering the country's status...that's because the president is doing a great job...

go bowe
03-18-2010, 01:12 PM
I wonder if anyone's thought of trailing all Frito-Lay trucks in Pakistan.that sounds like a really good idea...

i might have been wrong about you after all...

go bowe
03-18-2010, 01:14 PM
This is true. But it's better reading this than reading about how we're pulling out and leaving *insert_country_name_here* to al Qaeda and our other islamist enemies.

Kudos to Obama for continuing the resistance to islamist extremism on at least this front.and now you too?

wth is going on?

am i in obot heaven?

go bowe
03-18-2010, 01:15 PM
This remains to be seen, IMO.quite right...

i was under the impression that we had changed course in iraq and were in the process of withdrawing...

vailpass
03-18-2010, 01:59 PM
that's because the president is doing a great job...

ROFL Good one michelle; I didn't know the Secret Service allowed you to post from the White House.

patteeu
03-18-2010, 02:19 PM
and now you too?

wth is going on?

am i in obot heaven?

We're all obots now. Move over.

go bowe
03-18-2010, 09:46 PM
ROFL Good one michelle; I didn't know the Secret Service allowed you to post from the White House.ouch! how did you figure it out so quickly?

go bowe
03-18-2010, 09:47 PM
We're all obots now. Move over.well, ok then... :) :) :)

vailpass
03-19-2010, 11:56 AM
ouch! how did you figure it out so quickly?

:D

orange
03-19-2010, 08:54 PM
On the issue of terrorism, (Senator Orrin) Hatch, a member of the Senate intelligence committee, said the U.S. “may very well catch Osama bin Laden,” the leader of the al-Qaeda network.

“We are knocking off the top 20 one by one,” Hatch said. He criticized Attorney General Eric Holder for telling lawmakers March 16 that bin Laden isn’t likely to be captured alive.

“I don’t think he should have said that,” Hatch said.

Asked if he knew whether bin Laden’s capture is imminent, Hatch said, “I couldn’t say even if I did.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aghrqNBEBtIc

Duck Dog
03-20-2010, 12:50 PM
i knew you would eventually come over from the dark side...

Racist.