PDA

View Full Version : News Attention Walmart Customers: All Black people leave the store now

Detoxing
03-18-2010, 03:29 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Black-people-must-leave-NJ-apf-1749619349.html?x=0

WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) -- A Walmart store announcement ordering black people to leave brought chagrin and apologies Wednesday from leaders of the company, which has built a fragile trust among minority communities.

A male voice came over the public-address system Sunday evening at a store in Washington Township, in southern New Jersey, and calmly announced: "Attention, Walmart customers: All black people, leave the store now."

Shoppers in the store at the time said a manager quickly got on the public-address system and apologized for the remark. And while it was unclear whether a rogue patron or an employee was responsible for the comment, many customers expressed their anger to store management.

"I want to know why such statements are being made, because it flies in the face of what we teach our children about tolerance for all," said Sheila Ellington, who was in the store at the time with a friend. "If this was meant to be a prank, there's only one person laughing, and it's not either one of us."

Ellington, of Monroe, and her friend Patricia Covington said they plan to boycott the retailer until they're assured the issue has been addressed so it doesn't happen again.

The pair said they were stunned when they heard the announcement and initially believed they had misheard it. But once the words sank in, they grew angry.

"I depended on Walmart for all my needs, because the store has pretty much everything you could want," Covington said. "But until this issue is addressed in a way I'm comfortable with, I can't walk through those doors again."

Officials with Wal-Mart Stores Inc., based in Bentonville, Ark., said that the announcement was "unacceptable" and that they're trying to determine who made it and how it happened.

"We are just as appalled by this incident as our customers," the company said in a statement. "Whoever did this is just wrong and acted in an inappropriate manner. Clearly, this is completely unacceptable to us and to our customers."

This is not the first time the retailer has faced such problems.

There have been several past instances of black customers claiming they were treated unfairly at Walmart stores, and the company faced lawsuits alleging that women were passed over in favor of men for pay raises and promotions.

In February 2009, the retailer paid $17.5 million to settle a class action lawsuit alleging racial discrimination in its hiring of truck drivers.

And the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission sued the company in May 2009, claiming some Hispanic employees at a Sam's Club subsidiary in California were subjected to a hostile work environment. That suit alleges managers failed to stop repeated verbal harassment, including the use of derogatory words, against employees of Mexican descent.

However, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People has said the company has worked hard in recent years to show it cares about diversity.

Bill Mitchell, a former Walmart employee who was shopping Wednesday at the store, said that he was saddened to hear about the announcement but that "as a black man, I've heard worse things."

As customer Sharon Osbourne, of Williamstown, left the store Wednesday, she called the announcement "appalling, stupid and sad."

Frazod
03-18-2010, 03:37 PM
I heard about this yesterday - what a stupid non-story. It was either some minimum wage dumbass employee or a dumbass customer who found a way to access the PA system.

It's not like there aren't enough legitmate reason to hate on Walmart without drumming up fake outrage.

Count Alex's Losses
03-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Is it wrong that I feel like laughing every time black people get upset about stupid bullshit like this?

FAX
03-18-2010, 03:39 PM
If I were at Wal-Mart and there came over the loudspeakers an announcement requesting that all white people leave the store, I would get the hell out fast.

FAX

Deberg_1990
I heard about this yesterday - what a stupid non-story. It was either some minimum wage dumbass employee or a dumbass customer who found a way to access the PA system.

It's not like there aren't enough legitmate reason to hate on Walmart without drumming up fake outrage.

Yes, this...

I hope Wal Mart doesnt get a black eye for this....but you know they will.

Dicky McElephant
I see Hootie has been busy.

InChiefsHell
03-18-2010, 03:40 PM
Come on, it's obviously some fuck stick patron thinking he's funny.

Halfcan
03-18-2010, 03:43 PM
when I worked there as a kid you could code six any announcment- it was great hearing every announcment cut short. We used to wreck havoc on that store with silly crap.

Dicky McElephant
03-18-2010, 03:44 PM
"I depended on Walmart for all my needs, because the store has pretty much everything you could want," Covington said. "But until this issue is addressed in a way I'm comfortable with, I can't walk through those doors again."

Really? So that means you'll just go to the Wal-Mart on the other side of the town then.

DaFace
03-18-2010, 03:46 PM
It's not exactly hard to get on a store's intercom system. Probably just some kid.

Bane
03-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Kinda puts walmart behind the 8 ball.Honestly its fuggn stupid to be pissed at walmart because some idiot doesn't know how to act.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefnj2
03-18-2010, 03:52 PM
"Shoppers in the store at the time said a manager quickly got on the public-address system and apologized for the remark."

End of story.

Der Flöprer
03-18-2010, 03:53 PM

Just close the thread. This is the only response necessary.

Der Flöprer
03-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Is it wrong that I feel like laughing every time black people get upset about stupid bullshit like this?

Hey, I'm one of the first people around here to raise the racism flag when it needs to be. That said, I do laugh anytime someone tries to find an excuse to hold up their victim flag. I don't fuckin' care who it is.

Bane
03-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Just close the thread. This is the only response necessary.

Rep. Oh fukk I'm on my Mobile!!!!Goddamnit!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Fairplay
03-18-2010, 03:56 PM
So did all the black people leave the building?

Chiefnj2
03-18-2010, 03:57 PM

To be fair the apology issued by the manager was:

"We apologize profusely for the announcement over the PA system asking that all black patrons immediately leave the premises. This was some sick joke. Everyone knows that you if you all left immediately, you wouldn't pay for your goods, so please pay for the items in your cart, and then leave. Thank you. Shop again at Walmart."

Fairplay
03-18-2010, 03:58 PM
It's not exactly hard to get on a store's intercom system. Probably just some kid.

Now Walmart will have to lock-out the intercom system to licensed employees only for use.

Buck
03-18-2010, 04:00 PM
I lold

Pants
03-18-2010, 04:01 PM
EL OH EL

FAX
03-18-2010, 04:02 PM
I didn't hear a "Simon Says".

Anyway, it would be a tad more amusing if, after the black people left the store, there was an announcement telling them to come back inside.

FAX

SDChiefs
03-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Was the announcement not politically correct? Should he have said please?

Der Flöprer
03-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Was the announcement not politically correct? Should he have said please?

He should've announced it was for the "Compton Cookout" out in the parking lot.

BWillie
03-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Yeah this is dumb. Blame Wal-Mart. I used to work at Sam's Club, it's the same code everywhere I've went to get on the PA system. When I was a young hoodlum, I got on the intercom at a Wal-Mart store (I did not work there) and I said we were having a special on some inappropriate item. Could have been anybody, and even if it was an employee....so what. Shit happens.

Simply Red
03-18-2010, 04:26 PM
black people LOVE Walmart, too. But maybe Red Lobster's crab-fest, even more.

Baby Lee
03-18-2010, 04:47 PM
NSFW - offensive language.

For those who don't want to listen but want to know the contents, Sal and Richard of The Stern Show get an employee to page 'Nick Gerz' to the courtesy desk.

Talk of paging 'John Goolbuni'

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ks-kh4cld0s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ks-kh4cld0s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Demonpenz
03-18-2010, 04:56 PM
ewww what if they start going to target.

chefsos
03-18-2010, 05:02 PM
A male voice came over the public-address system Sunday evening at a store in Washington Township, in southern New Jersey, and calmly announced: "Attention, Walmart customers: All black people, leave the store now." Ellington, of Monroe, and her friend Patricia Covington said they plan to boycott the retailer until they're assured the issue has been addressed so it doesn't happen again.Boy, that'll really show that guy, huh?

SDChiefs
03-18-2010, 05:11 PM
How do we know that this wasn't for their safety. The guy could have been with the CDC and there was something in the store that was hazardous to black people. He was just trying to save their lives and this is the thanks he gets?

MatriculatingHank
03-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Has anyone seen Mike Hunt? Mike Hunt, Mike Hunt, Has anyone seen Mike Hunt ?

ClevelandBronco
03-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Ellington, of Monroe, and her friend Patricia Covington said they plan to boycott the retailer until they're assured the issue has been addressed so it doesn't happen again...

"I depended on Walmart for all my needs, because the store has pretty much everything you could want," Covington said. "But until this issue is addressed in a way I'm comfortable with, I can't walk through those doors again."...

I'm assuming from the context that Ms. Ellington and Ms. Covington are African Americans.

Setting aside the question of what kind of a woman could have "all (her) needs" met by Walmart, it occurs to me that by staying away from the store Ms. Covington is doing exactly what the announcement suggested.

Otter
03-18-2010, 05:39 PM
I'd be willing to be there's a way to call into just about any Wal-Mart through any given cell phone and access the PA system. Someone probably got a hold of the wrong document with the right buttons to push or like was mentioned earlier it could be done from any phone in the store.

It's about as ridiculous as getting upset over Janet Jackson's boob at the Super Bowl however. Cry me a ****ing river.

LaChapelle
03-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Herm Edwards only felt compelled to throw his lower half out the electronic door

~too soon

GoHuge
03-18-2010, 06:48 PM
My pigment impaired friends would have just laughed or gave a WTF? I can't believe this thing has gotten the run it has or how something so stupid gets people offended. You'll have Sharpton calling racism, some white moron calling reverse racism, and Whitlock will come out with a column explaining why he wants to be on this side this time, but will have the other side in his holster for the next slow day. When I hear something along these lines I find myself asking "are we really still here?" I don't get racism, the other ism's, or phobe's that still exist in the world today. Was dating a girl about a month ago that's a big Bible thumper and she told me with a straight face (pardon the pun) that being gay is a lifestyle choice and they're all sinners on the fast track to the "lake of fire"................what?? Sorry, but your wired that way straight out of the box. Maybe had a difficult birth and swore off the pussy from that point on........I don't know, but two guys that I went to school with pretty much K-12th grade that have come out of the closet since and everyone knew in 3rd grade they where queer as a football bat. Who gives two shit's about consenting adults doing something that doesn't hurt anyone else or what color sombodies skin is...........this isn't aimed at anyone here in particular, but if you've got a superiority complex because of your sexuality or skin color, grow up. You being "this" aint that ****in special...........

Tried to pump the brakes, but FAILed. Sorry CP

Chiefaholic
03-18-2010, 08:14 PM
Has anyone seen Mike Hunt? Mike Hunt, Mike Hunt, Has anyone seen Mike Hunt ?

I went to school with a Mike Hunt.

MahiMike
03-18-2010, 08:14 PM
Yes, this...

I hate Walmart. When I heard of this, I was trying to figure out how to hack into all their PA systems across the country...)

BryanBusby
03-18-2010, 09:53 PM
This is how you prank a walmart

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bd61LnxqSng&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bd61LnxqSng&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Count Alex's Losses
03-18-2010, 09:55 PM
LOL, being young and silly is terrific.

CoMoChief
03-18-2010, 10:07 PM

Oh my ****ing god.... :rolleyes:

I mean she was just so hurt and saddened by this, because you know, WAL-MART does this all the time and it was surely on purpose. Addressing the issue???? If it was a co-worker, obviously he will get fired. If it was some customer that got onto the PA system, what is the store supposed to do? Look at security, notify the FBI and try to hunt this person down??? The store immediately got on the PA and apologized.

Gimme a ****in break lady.......then take your ass to Target, I hope the nearest one is 50miles away.

Chiefburger
03-18-2010, 10:25 PM
This is the nearest Walmart to me, maybe three miles away. Washington Twp is populated with Italians, not many blacks or rednecks. Weird that this incident would occur here.

Thig Lyfe
03-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Neat!

jjjayb
03-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Yes, this...

Why's it gotta be a black eye? So everything black is bad? Why not a white eye? Racist.

Pioli Zombie
03-18-2010, 10:56 PM
I thought they were all at KMart anyway. It would be funnier to say "Will all Jews please report to Security"
Posted via Mobile Device

blaise
03-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Maybe they should have said, "All obese people on rascals please leave immediately."

Der Flöprer
03-18-2010, 11:24 PM
I went to school with a Mike Hunt.

Funny, I went to school with a Mike Ocyzbehg.

KChiefs1
03-18-2010, 11:30 PM
Have the media whores Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton had a commented yet?:rolleyes:

Fairplay
03-18-2010, 11:56 PM
I'm offended by it.

Put me in for the class action lawsuit payday.

Count Alex's Losses
03-18-2010, 11:58 PM
Funny, I went to school with a Mike Ocyzbehg.

I went to school with Mike Ock and Mike Lit.

CoMoChief
03-19-2010, 12:49 AM
I went to school with a girl named "Alby White" and she was black.

She was good looking too.

There was also a girl I went to school with named Ebony (she was black) but she would always dress in Abercrombie/Am Eagle clothes, and sometimes she would wear a shirt that said "Blonde" on the front. Haha, I always laughed at that.

This girl was also VERY good looking.

GoHuge
03-19-2010, 01:01 AM
Have the media whores Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton had a commented yet?:rolleyes:This one is even too stupid for them to comment on. Glad everyone here seems to be in agreement:Who gives a shit!

If they said "all you backward ass trailer trash mother ****ers hit the road" ([url]www.peopleofwalmart.com if you need a mental image. It probably wouldn't have made the local paper. There would be a mass exodus at plenty a WalMart. Everyone would think they're just closing early. You throw an ol Blacky comment and look the **** out!! They be coming Dog...........

stevieray
03-19-2010, 01:08 AM
They be coming Dog...........

who be coming?

Short Leash Hootie
03-19-2010, 03:09 AM
I see Hootie has been busy.

I wouldn't have said it so nicely...

kcfanXIII
03-19-2010, 03:31 AM
Why's it gotta be a black eye? So everything black is bad? Why not a white eye? Racist.

black plague, black ice, black mamba, black out... all bad things, that are black.

ClevelandBronco
03-19-2010, 05:08 AM
black plague, black ice, black mamba, black out... all bad things, that are black.

In the black. Good thing.

FAX
03-19-2010, 06:37 AM
Black tie dinner. Good thing.

FAX

Hog Farmer
03-19-2010, 07:16 AM
To be fair the apology issued by the manager was:

"We apologize profusely for the announcement over the PA system asking that all black patrons immediately leave the premises. This was some sick joke. Everyone knows that you if you all left immediately, you wouldn't pay for your goods, so please pay for the items in your cart, and then leave. Thank you. Shop again at Walmart."

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Hog Farmer
03-19-2010, 07:20 AM
It was a great last statement right before looking at boss and saying "I Quit"

Garcia Bronco
03-19-2010, 07:51 AM

White Eye? That's how the Indians used to slur my people. But we showed them.

Otter
03-19-2010, 07:57 AM
Want a quick checkout experience? "Will all obese shoppers wearing clothing three sizes too small please report to the parking lot for free flip flops?"

or how about...

"Will all shoppers wearing a wolf shirt report to courtesy desk B, your awesome has arrived".

FAX
03-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Black beans and rice. Good thing.

FAX

Pioli Zombie
03-19-2010, 09:06 AM
Amanda hugginkiss
Posted via Mobile Device

buddha
03-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Did the security cameras catch the assistant manager from the local Target running out of the Wal Mart after the incident?

Duck Dog
03-19-2010, 01:00 PM

No, it's not wrong.

GoHuge
03-19-2010, 02:21 PM
who be coming?"Those people"

Chocolate Hog
03-19-2010, 04:55 PM
Awesome.

stevieray
03-19-2010, 05:04 PM
"Those people"
who is those people?

Hog Farmer
03-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Arrest Made in N.J. Walmart 'All Black People' Case

AP

The Washington Township Police Department said on its Web site early Saturday that an arrest has been made in a "bias incident" at the retail store.

print email share recommend (5)
WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP, N.J. - Police say they have made an arrest in the case of a racial comment being made over the public-address system at a Walmart store in southern New Jersey.

The Washington Township Police Department said on its Web site early Saturday that an arrest has been made in a "bias incident" at the retail store. The posting says the police and Gloucester County Prosecutor's Office will announce the arrest at a midday news conference.

Washington Township Police declined to comment early Saturday.

A male voice came over the Walmart public address system Sunday evening and calmly announced: "Attention, Walmart customers: All black people, leave the store now." The announcement provoked an immediate apology from the store manager.

Officials for Bentonville, Ark.-based Wal-Mart Stores Inc., said the announcement was "unacceptable."

Fairplay
03-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Did the black people come back in yet?

InChiefsHell
03-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Holy shit...ARRESTED?? Unbelievable. Now you get arrested for saying something stupid...yet another reason for all politicians to be behind bars I guess.

I wonder what the charge is? Disturbing the peace?

luv
03-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Holy shit...ARRESTED?? Unbelievable. Now you get arrested for saying something stupid...yet another reason for all politicians to be behind bars I guess.

They'll probably call it a hate crime.

Bane
03-20-2010, 10:46 AM

As long as it was an insult against someone not white,it will be a hate crime.

Bwana
03-20-2010, 10:48 AM
They'll probably call it a hate crime.

In this day and age, it wouldn't surprise me a bit. The clown will likely see more time than a bank robber.

Der Flöprer
03-20-2010, 10:53 AM
:rolleyes:

Arrested? What a fucking joke.

FAX
03-20-2010, 11:23 AM
Death penalty.

That will keep him off the streets and serve as a lesson to others ... do not tell black people to leave Wal-Mart.

FAX

Hog Farmer
03-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Maybe charged with some kinda crime against a business. I expect Walmart is the one pressing charges to save face. Welcome to the freedom of free speech.

Bane
03-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Maybe charged with some kinda crime against a business. I expect Walmart is the one pressing charges to save face. Welcome to the freedom of free speech.

Worse they can do in disorderly conduct.IMO.

Hog Farmer
03-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Death penalty.

That will keep him off the streets and serve as a lesson to others ... do not tell black people to leave Wal-Mart.

FAX

Actually it was probably the head of security at walmart tired of seeing shit being stolen.

FAX
03-20-2010, 11:47 AM
I hope he gets a good attorney. It may have been a classless act, but it was speech. Just speech and nothing but speech.

His crime is probably using the Wal-Mart system without permission. I'm sure there's a law against that somewhere.

FAX

JD10367
03-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Actually it was probably the head of security at walmart tired of seeing shit being stolen.

Geez. Racist much? I can't believe some of the shit people say around here.

Besides, everyone knows the Mexicans, Caribbeans, and Southeast Asians steal just as much. :D

Duck Dog
03-20-2010, 12:21 PM
I really don't even see much in the way of racism in the comment.

Bane
03-20-2010, 01:21 PM

It doesn't have to be anymore.All you have to do is be white and say anything except Obama is god and you're a fukkn racist.

RJ
03-20-2010, 01:32 PM
I've been asked to leave few bars in my time and no one ever got arrested. Well, "asked" might not be exactly the right word. And of course, I wasn't black, I was drunk. That's the problem with the laws, they do nothing to protect the rights of drunk people. If I could remember the names of those bars I would hire a lawyer and sue somebody.

Like drunk people aren't oppressed enough already. Sheesh.

Deberg_1990
03-20-2010, 01:34 PM

:facepalm: its implied racism

Duck Dog
03-20-2010, 01:39 PM
:facepalm: its implied racism

I'm implying it's a crock of shit. I'm also implying that anyone upset over the incident is an over sensitive reactionary.

Thig Lyfe
03-20-2010, 01:39 PM
It doesn't have to be anymore.All you have to do is be white and say anything except Obama is god and you're a fukkn racist.

lol

When are white people going to rise up and overcome?

Hog Farmer
03-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Geez. Racist much? I can't believe some of the shit people say around here.

Besides, everyone knows the Mexicans, Caribbeans, and Southeast Asians steal just as much. :D

But he didn't ask the Mexicans,Carribbeans, and Southeast Asians to leave.

Don't try to turn a fact into a racist rant.

Deberg_1990
03-20-2010, 01:47 PM
I'm implying it's a crock of shit. I'm also implying that anyone upset over the incident is an over sensitive reactionary.

Agree with you here...but you commented on this statement:

"Actually it was probably the head of security at walmart tired of seeing shit being stolen."

orange
03-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Teen charged in NJ Walmart racial comment case

By BRUCE SHIPKOWSKI, Associated Press Writer Bruce Shipkowski, Associated Press Writer – 35 mins ago

WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP, N.J. – A 16-year-old boy patronizing a Walmart store in southern New Jersey took over the public-address system and ordered black people to leave, angering customers and prompting company leaders to apologize, police said Saturday.

Police said the boy, whose name is not being released because he is a juvenile, went on the intercom at Walmart's Washington Township store Sunday evening and calmly announced: "Attention, Walmart customers: All black people, leave the store now."

The teen was arrested Friday on charges of harassment and bias intimidation. Authorities said he was released to the custody of his parents; they did not know whether he had a lawyer.

"This was an extremely disturbing event on many levels," Gloucester County Prosecutor Sean Dalton said at a news conference. "Any statements like these that can cause harm or grave concern must be addressed as quickly we possibly can."

Authorities would not say whether the announcement was planned or made impulsively. Police said they were also investigating a teenage boy who accompanied the suspect to the store, but had not charged the other boy.

Although a manager quickly went on the intercom system and apologized for the remark, many customers expressed their anger to store management.

Officials for Bentonville, Ark.-based Wal-Mart Stores Inc., said the announcement was "unacceptable." Spokesman David Tovar said the company planned to release a statement later Saturday, after the news conference.

The company said it has already updated the store's intercom system to prevent a similar incident from happening again.

It was the latest in a series of problems the retailer has had in its dealings with minorities and women.

There have been several past instances of black customers claiming they were treated unfairly at Walmart stores, and the company faced lawsuits alleging that women were passed over in favor of men for pay raises and promotions.

In February 2009, the retailer paid $17.5 million to settle a class action lawsuit alleging racial discrimination in its hiring of truck drivers.

And the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission sued the company in May 2009, claiming some Hispanic employees at a Sam's Club subsidiary in California were subjected to a hostile work environment. That suit alleges managers failed to stop repeated verbal harassment, including the use of derogatory words, against employees of Mexican descent.

However, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People has said the company has worked hard in recent years to show it cares about diversity.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100320/ap_on_bi_ge/us_wal_mart_racial_comment

Duck Dog
03-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Agree with you here...but you commented on this statement:

"Actually it was probably the head of security at walmart tired of seeing shit being stolen."

No I didn't.

BWillie
03-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Told you. Wasn't even an employee. Anybody can get on those things. It's easy. I think it's just like pound 96 or something like that.

This dude is a kid, give him disorderly conduct or something and move on.

boogblaster
03-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Do blacks shop at Wally ...

Duck Dog
03-20-2010, 02:44 PM
I like Target. The higher prices mean I can shop in relative peace and safety.

soopamanluva
03-20-2010, 05:46 PM
Y'all funny on here

ClevelandBronco
03-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Y'all funny on here

Now you funny too.

GoHuge
03-20-2010, 07:17 PM
So I guess "whitey" isn't protected by the 1st amendment? That's pretty shitty!!