PDA

View Full Version : Life I would like a career change

Fat Elvis
03-18-2010, 07:04 PM
I'm thankful that I have a job. Let me get that out of the way right now. That said, I would really like a change. I've applied for other jobs, but with the labor market the way it is right now, I'm not having any luck landing a different job.

I have good skills. I oversee a statewide organization. I am well regarded in my field, but I am feeling restless.

I shouldn't complain; like I said, I am thankful that I have a job, and my work is very flexible.

I just don't feel like I am reaching my potential.

Maybe it is just a midlife crisis.

Has anyone else been through this? If so, what did you do? Part of me wants to start a small business, but with kids, I don't want to risk/mortgage their future. Actually, I will probably be starting a new business in about a year or so, but it is in my current field. There is a part of me that wants to go in a completely different direction.

How have others on the Planet dealt with these feelings?

Thanks

Fat E

MahiMike
03-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Start a side biz at night. Keep working.

Fairplay
03-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Salad bar Technician at Rudi's have an opening.

WhitiE
03-18-2010, 07:19 PM
buy a bar?

BWillie
03-18-2010, 07:37 PM
I've only worked in my current field about four years and I'm tired of it. Moreso, tired of office politics. I'm looking into buying a business or working my real estate up throughout the years. One of these days when I get enough saved up I'm going to either start a business or buy one. When you come up w/ a good small business idea let me know

stevieray
03-18-2010, 07:42 PM
for about six months.

Bugeater
03-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Hell yes I do, but to change fields completely I'd be looking at an entry level position and the competition for those jobs is too damn tight right now, not to mention I wouldn't make anywhere near the money I currently do. So I'm pretty much stuck unless I want to take night classes for several years and I have way too much shit going on to do that.

BWillie
03-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Hell yes I do, but to change fields completely I'd be looking at an entry level position and the competition for those jobs is too damn tight right now, not to mention I wouldn't make anywhere near the money I currently do. So I'm pretty much stuck unless I want to take night classes for several years and I have way too much shit going on to do that.

This. There is way to many over qualified people going after jobs they are under qualified for right now. Hard to get a job out there.

|Zach|
03-18-2010, 07:55 PM

This.

petegz28
03-18-2010, 07:58 PM
I'm in the same boat. After I was laid off I am not sure I want to get back into IT. It pays damn good but it is rather boring. Changing careers probably means entry level or slightly above. I am in a situation I could handle it as long as there was room for advancement. I also toyed with the idea of starting a business. I talked to a small business owner I know and getting a loan right now, especially if you are a white male is almost impossible. No racism intended there, but that is the truth of the matter. The bankers I have talked to said that if you are hispanic you will almost be guaranteed a loan.

BWillie
03-18-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm in the same boat. After I was laid off I am not sure I want to get back into IT. It pays damn good but it is rather boring. Changing careers probably means entry level or slightly above. I am in a situation I could handle it as long as there was room for advancement. I also toyed with the idea of starting a business. I talked to a small business owner I know and getting a loan right now, especially if you are a white male is almost impossible. No racism intended there, but that is the truth of the matter. The bankers I have talked to said that if you are hispanic you will almost be guaranteed a loan.

I don't quite understand. What does race have to do w/ getting a loan? Am I missing something. That sucks, because I might want to get a small business loan someday..

Bugeater
03-18-2010, 08:27 PM
I don't quite understand. What does race have to do w/ getting a loan? Am I missing something. That sucks, because I might want to get a small business loan someday..
It's easier to get startup loans for minorities and women, the last company I worked for was 'woman owned', which basically meant she was named president in order to get the loan while her husband ran the business, it was a total sham.

Iowanian
03-18-2010, 08:40 PM
Be careful what you wish for....

Starting a small business is hard. The hours and stress are harder. There are advantages, but there sure are alot of nights when I've not seen my family other than an early morning peck 2-3 days in a row when I wonder what they are and when I'm going to find them.

|Zach|
03-18-2010, 08:43 PM
The idea of owning a business is a lot more romantic than actually doing it.

Iowanian
03-18-2010, 08:50 PM
It's great until you get the first call from some state agency you've never heard of bitching at you because you didn't file some form you'd never heard of by a date you didn't know required its submittal. It's fine until you realize that your idea, or whatever you are really good at, is but a small part of the big picture. Now you're doing that work, gathering equipment, but responsible for marketing, building your website, paying the bills, tracking expenses, payroll taxes, liability insurance, general liability insurance, professional licenses, hiring, employee relations, client relations, long range business planning.........

For all of the stress, extra work, missed opportunities and lack of seeing your family, you do have a sense of accomplishment that is different than working for someone else. When you build something from your own hard work, blood and sweat, it feels like you're doing something....and then your phone rings at 4:30 on friday and you're working late instead of taking the wife to dinner, and working saturday instead of taking the kids to the park.

I do it because I think it's worth it in the long run, but people should not be illusioned that it's an easy thing to do.

KCChiefsMan
03-18-2010, 08:52 PM
I go through this once per year, at least. I can't find a job/career that I don't end up hating.

Thig Lyfe
03-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Become a drug dealer. VERY lucrative and you get to be your own boss. Do you know anybody willing to throw down to protect a corner?

Iowanian
03-18-2010, 08:57 PM
you get to be your own boss. ?

NSFW

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NisCkxU544c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NisCkxU544c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

petegz28
03-18-2010, 10:19 PM

We are talking about the Fed Gov and SBA. It used to be anyone got a loan if they qualified. Then political correctness set in and it went from minoritym to minority women to now Hispanic and Asian. Does i tmake sense? No. Is it real? Yea.

Rain Man
03-18-2010, 10:35 PM
It's great until you get the first call from some state agency you've never heard of bitching at you because you didn't file some form you'd never heard of by a date you didn't know required its submittal.

I still find it amazing that I have to pay unemployment taxes on myself in case I lay myself off. It's the most moronic thing I've ever heard, and I've heard a lot of moronic things.

If it really works that way, I'm going to screw myself over and lay myself off a year before I retire, and since I won't be able to find a job at that age, I'll be forced to file for unemployment and pick up a government check for a year.

DaneMcCloud
03-18-2010, 10:47 PM
I've only worked in my current field about four years and I'm tired of it. Moreso, tired of office politics. I'm looking into buying a business or working my real estate up throughout the years. One of these days when I get enough saved up I'm going to either start a business or buy one. When you come up w/ a good small business idea let me know

If you have the patience and personality for real estate, you can make an absolute killing.

And you're single, right? Go for it, Rock!

Fairplay
03-18-2010, 10:49 PM
It's great until you get the first call from some state agency you've never heard of bitching at you because you didn't file some form you'd never heard of by a date you didn't know required its submittal. It's fine until you realize that your idea, or whatever you are really good at, is but a small part of the big picture. Now you're doing that work, gathering equipment, but responsible for marketing, building your website, paying the bills, tracking expenses, payroll taxes, liability insurance, general liability insurance, professional licenses, hiring, employee relations, client relations, long range business planning.........

For all of the stress, extra work, missed opportunities and lack of seeing your family, you do have a sense of accomplishment that is different than working for someone else. When you build something from your own hard work, blood and sweat, it feels like you're doing something....and then your phone rings at 4:30 on friday and you're working late instead of taking the wife to dinner, and working saturday instead of taking the kids to the park.

I do it because I think it's worth it in the long run, but people should not be illusioned that it's an easy thing to do.

Being a pimp must have changed over the years.

DaneMcCloud
03-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Being a pimp must have changed over the years.

Pimps up!

Ho's down!

fan4ever
03-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Be careful what you wish for....

Starting a small business is hard. The hours and stress are harder. There are advantages, but there sure are alot of nights when I've not seen my family other than an early morning peck 2-3 days in a row when I wonder what they are and when I'm going to find them.

And to add to the stress; if you're business goes under...no unemployment benefits...

badgirl
03-18-2010, 11:20 PM
When I went and took my nursing school entrance exam there was at least 100 people there, men and women, taking the test.

Nursing or any medical job you may want to take would be a good way to go. You will always have job security and be able to work anywhere you decide you want to l live. I love taking care of people and I really love doing what I do.

It doesn't have to be Nursing, my brother took Respitory Therapy and makes really good money.

Its something to consider IMO, in these days its really a good choice. We will always have sick people and they can't move all our hospitals overseas.

Plus they have awesome benefits like insurance.

sparkky
03-19-2010, 01:32 PM
I think most people go thru the "I want to change my life" period. I was lucky I never minded what I did for a living and made a decent one.

I looked at it a lot of ways, do ya wanna sign the front of the checks or the back? wanna be a chief or an indian? want a job or a career (there IS a difference).

I liked calling the boss at the end of the day and saying "boss, this thing is ALL FUBARed. the generator people gave us the wrong wiring diagram and we hooked it up the way it showed it should be and boss, you should have SEEN the smoke and fire fly out of shit!!! it was like Haley's Comet up close and personal!!! that fireball chased the generator guys around the parking lot 3 times. they did finally admit they gave us the wrong poop sheet tho."

"we cleared out the K-Mart and all the blue hairs from Dennys when the power went off. they seem pretty pissed. I don't see any stop lights or street lights working so I'm pretty sure we took out power and light too. I did hear the generator on the roof of the old folks home try to start but it never did. been a lot of ambulances over there and that's probably a bad thing.?

"I'm betting you'll be getting some phone calls. I'm gonna go grab a bite to eat, let me know what you figure out."

that's why I never wanted to be a boss, just a slob on the job was fine with me.
I figured out where poor people are buried. RIGHT BESIDE THE RICH PEOPLE!!
to each his own.

Inspector
03-19-2010, 01:54 PM
I had to give up my male prostitution business when every client kept demanding their money back.

38yrsfan
03-19-2010, 01:56 PM
Walmart is looking for PA announcers ...........

Fairplay
03-19-2010, 03:17 PM

So change your last name to Fernandez and get your loan.

Rain Man
03-19-2010, 03:24 PM
We should have a chiefsplanet job switch program where we trade jobs for a month or two. Any nuclear reactor operators want to trade me for a while and try market research?

BWillie
03-19-2010, 03:25 PM
We are talking about the Fed Gov and SBA. It used to be anyone got a loan if they qualified. Then political correctness set in and it went from minoritym to minority women to now Hispanic and Asian. Does i tmake sense? No. Is it real? Yea.

Wow. Amazing this sh*t is legal, and even more so mandated politically. Every day it gets worse to be a white man. It's to the point where it's a hindrance.

RedThat
03-19-2010, 03:47 PM
First off, I would like to wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors in whatever it is that you choose to do.

Im in a similar situation minus the family and kids though. Im at that stage in my life right now where Im pursuing a career and could definately use change. I too haven't reached my full potential.

I used to work in a diecasting plant where we produced castings for vehicles. It was one of those jobs that was great pay, and benefits except the quality of the work I did was horrible. Hated the worked in general, but loved the pay and benefits. With that being said, I considered myself a happy medium.

Skillwise wasn't developing anything working in that type of environment, that's where a change was desperately needed for me. However, the financial aspect of my life was constantly making progress. I was grateful in that sense.

Unfortunately though, I was hit with bad news. They announced a plant closure at my workplace for June of 2012, and I got laid off in September of 2008. So, Im collecting benefits right now that will last me up to two years, and Im currently still an employee because I haven't severed my ties within the company. I still live at home with my old man, and he's been awesome! Very very supportive guy. Not to say Im spoon fed, but, living at home has enabled me to save and save, put away that coin and invest it into a career for the future. So that's what Im doing now. In addition to that, Im awaiting for a plant closure because as soon as that occurs in June of 2012, I will receive a plant closure seperation package from the company that will pay out in high figures. that's beautiful because that'll really help me as far as schooling and pursuing a career goes, and, it'll really help me if Im willingly to go to school outside my area. You know, having to pay for dormatory expenses, and other misc stuff. It all adds up and get quite costly.

i've learned to take responsibility and have become somewhat independent. Im growing as a person in that sense. Im kinda sad I lost my job, but Im kinda happy now because I could get on with my life and do something else. Too be honest, I really don't know what I want to do, but i am choosing a career that I value, that comes across with great importance, and that relates to who I am as an individual. The plant closure thingy happened at a good time, it was one of those things that I can say was the "right" time. Im very fortunate that the timing was right for me, and that I have great support to go along with that. It's a great combination for sure.

*Best thing I can say to you, is, these things happen, focus on the bright side of things and always work according to your strengths. Be patient, and try your best, but also be persistent too. Those characteristics will unlock the door to your destination. And also, take things one step at a time. Don't worry about the stuff lies far ahead, just go slowly, and work your way thoroughly. you'll get there no worries. But, one step at a time. It's the best way. You'll feel more at ease within yourself and the universe will compliment you.

Measure and weigh your circumstances and situations, when you see bright spots in your situations and circumstances, take COMPLETE advantage of them. if you do that, you'll serve yourself well. Anyway, this is my approach. Just thought Id share it with you since you asked.

Carlota69
03-19-2010, 03:48 PM
I have a friend going thru this exactly! Great job (on paper) but she is constantly hitting her head on the ceiling and her industry really isnt growing and her position could be eliminated in the next year or so. Therefore, she really has no upward movment to look forward to, yet she better make a move of some kind or she could be in the unemployment line. So, she is also looking at a career change but in this job market thats virtually impossible. Why would an employer hire you, the one without experience, over the zillions out of work with experience? Its super frustrating to say the least.

Bwana
03-19-2010, 03:53 PM
I can relate to this thread.

Fairplay
03-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Is anyone on this board at full potential, really?

Simply Red
03-19-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm thankful that I have a job. Let me get that out of the way right now. That said, I would really like a change. I've applied for other jobs, but with the labor market the way it is right now, I'm not having any luck landing a different job.

I have good skills. I oversee a statewide organization. I am well regarded in my field, but I am feeling restless.

I shouldn't complain; like I said, I am thankful that I have a job, and my work is very flexible.

I just don't feel like I am reaching my potential.

Maybe it is just a midlife crisis.

Has anyone else been through this? If so, what did you do? Part of me wants to start a small business, but with kids, I don't want to risk/mortgage their future. Actually, I will probably be starting a new business in about a year or so, but it is in my current field. There is a part of me that wants to go in a completely different direction.

How have others on the Planet dealt with these feelings?

Thanks

Fat E

Broker anything

Rain Man
03-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Broker anything

Nah, I think he's okay financially.

|Zach|
03-19-2010, 05:05 PM
Wow. Amazing this sh*t is legal, and even more so mandated politically. Every day it gets worse to be a white man. It's to the point where it's a hindrance.

Whatever.

Anything you want to do is there for the taking.

Judge Smails
03-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Here's my experience and advice:

About five years ago I also wanted to change careers. However, I also understood that I was going to need more education. I made the excuses of family and need for income for two years before I had enough, and re-enrolled in college.

It is amazing what some companies are willing to do for you, working around schedules and allowing time for school, hell even chipping in for tuition. I got an entry-level job in the field I was looking to break into using some skills from my previous work while at the same time taking classes to finish my degree.

Stop making excuses and do what you know you need to do to turn your career around. Having a family is a benefit as you have motivation and support, financially and spiritually. No one gives a shit how old you are, just as long as you are willing to work hard and get the job done.

If you don't try, then nothing happens. Just my two cents.

bevischief
03-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Is anyone on this board at full potential, really?

Not really we are Chiefs fans...:D

-King-
03-19-2010, 07:40 PM
:spock:

Yeah, sure. ROFL
Posted via Mobile Device

Stewie
03-20-2010, 06:51 AM

This.

I did software development and validation for a year in addition to my regular job. I had more work offered than I could ever do as a part-timer and thought about making the jump to full time as an independent contractor. After about a year, I decided there wasn't enough variety to keep it interesting. I'm glad I did the work and glad I figured out it wasn't for me on a full time basis.

Pablo
03-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Wow. Amazing this sh*t is legal, and even more so mandated politically. Every day it gets worse to be a white man. It's to the point where it's a hindrance.As a white male, I pretty much realize we have it fucking made.

Slainte
03-20-2010, 11:08 AM
As a white male, I pretty much realize we have it fucking made.

Yeah, pretty much this...

Fairplay
03-20-2010, 11:16 AM
As a white male, I pretty much realize we have it ****ing made.

Plus no one has told us all to get out the store on the intercom.

Slainte
03-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Plus no one has told us all to get out the store on the intercom.

And that cinches it.

TrebMaxx
03-20-2010, 11:25 AM
I just want to retire. If those freaking Powerball numbers would come through I could.

BWillie
03-20-2010, 12:39 PM
As a white male, I pretty much realize we have it ****ing made.

Honestly though, what advantages is there? Nobody goes out of their way to start special programs, start special welfare or give ethnic scholarships to white dudes. Now other groups even get loans over you. If it's someone w/ the same exact qualifications between a white dude and minority when faced w/ a job opportunity, the white guy loses every time. At least many hispanics are bilingual.

I know you guys are trying to be politically correct, but I don't see any advantage to it.

Slainte
03-20-2010, 12:41 PM
I know you guys are trying to be politically correct, but I don't see any advantage to it.

Politically uni-partisan lie.