PDA

View Full Version : Money How much you really pay for cable channels

Deberg_1990
03-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Interesting story...

http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/20100308/hate-paying-for-cable-heres-the-reason-why/

Hate Paying for Cable? Here’s Why.

Love grousing about cable TV? Then I’ve got a list for you. It comes from industry analyst SNL Kagan, and I came across it via a research note Barclays Capital’s Anthony DiClemente sent out last week.

DiClemente was arguing that the bundled approach to cable TV–whereby subscribers get dozens or even hundreds of channels for one big fee, no matter how many networks they actually watch–wasn’t going anywhere for quite some time. If ever.

But if you’re the kind of person who thinks we’re headed for an a la carte model in which programmers compete directly for consumer dollars, you can use this as fodder for your argument. Because you can see just how much you’re paying for stuff you don’t want.

Take a look (click to enlarge–or drag the whole image off of the browser and onto your desktop if you want a better view):

Obviously these are wholesale prices, not retail. But this gives you a very good idea of where the money goes–to a lot of channels you likely never, ever, look at.

You’ll find this particularly upsetting if you don’t watch sports. Because sports channels account for about 40 percent of cable fees.

And you’ll also be upset once you realize that the broadcast networks–GE’s (GE) NBC, News Corp.’s (NWS) Fox, Disney’s (DIS) ABC and CBS (CBS)–are going to get added to this list over the next year or so. Even though anyone who doesn’t pay for cable gets them for free.

Hence, last winter’s Fox vs. Time Warner Cable (TWC) standoff, and the Disney vs. Cablevision (CVC) fight that ended in time for the Oscars last night.

As I’ve said before, I think that many cable viewers are probably okay with most of the bundle–or at least unwilling to foot the bill for real a la carte pricing. But maybe if you waved this list in front of them, they might rethink that.

Bane
03-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Well I know I can get Direct Tv/Dish cheaper,but I've not had good luck with them in the past.
I pay $135 a month.I have my home phone,all the movie channels and a dvr,and 10mb internet service through Charter.

vachief58
03-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Just dumped DTV for free tv. HD antenna + PS3 + laptop + broadband = freedom and all the tv you could ever want.
Posted via Mobile Device

Guru
03-19-2010, 11:38 AM
I would love to see them go a la carte

Deberg_1990
03-19-2010, 11:40 AM
heh....anyone notice how much more ESPN was than every other channel..

The story mentions sports channels account for about 40 percent of cable fees....

Mr. Flopnuts
03-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Just dumped DTV for free tv. HD antenna + PS3 + laptop + broadband = freedom and all the tv you could ever want.
Posted via Mobile Device

I've been considering doing this for over a year now. The problem I'm encountering is my HD antenna for my laptop is tied to cable service. I'm pretty dumb about it though. Maybe it's time to google this shit and get it figured out. I could get my bill to go from $90 a month down to about $30.

Mr. Laz
03-19-2010, 11:50 AM
have some movie channels right now (HBO,Showtime,Cinemax)

trying to figure if i dump the movie channel package if it would be better and cheaper to go with a netflix movie box.

i guess the box cost 59.99 and the unlimited month fee is 9.99

should be alot cheaper unless i'm missing something

pr_capone
03-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Well, I pay a whopping $20 bucks a month for:

Digital HD w/DVR + all movie channels AND a 25mbps pipeline for my internet. I would actually get the 12.5mbps line for free but I wanted the speed so $15 of that $20 I spend every month is for internet.

But then again I work for the cable company so...

Mr. Laz
03-19-2010, 12:16 PM

Digital HD w/DVR + all movie channels AND a 25mbps pipeline for my internet. I would actually get the 12.5mbps line for free but I wanted the speed so $15 of that $20 I spend every month is for internet.

But then again I work for the cable company so...show off :deevee:

aturnis
03-19-2010, 02:59 PM

But then again I work for the cable company so...

...and to think, I used to like you.

googlegoogle
03-19-2010, 03:04 PM
google 'fta free satellite channels'.

more people should know about it. We need to break out of the cable monopoly.

Fairplay
03-19-2010, 03:05 PM
I would love to see them go a la carte

This. That's the real way to go no doubt.

Pestilence
03-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Fuck you Disney Channel......give me my money back!

Bugeater
03-19-2010, 04:39 PM
If it wasn't for MNF and a handful of college FB games I could easily live without ESPN.

Bearcat
03-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Eh, I haven't paid for cable in a couple of years and don't miss it at all.

heh....anyone notice how much more ESPN was than every other channel..

The story mentions sports channels account for about 40 percent of cable fees....

2100% of the industry average. :eek:

whoman69
03-19-2010, 05:32 PM
Eh, I haven't paid for cable in a couple of years and don't miss it at all.

2100% of the industry average. :eek:

I'm getting there