PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Breakdown of Medicare Cuts..

petegz28
03-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Dr. Obama and Dr. Pelosi to America’s Seniors: “Take $523.5 Billion in Medicare Cuts; Don’t Call Us in the Morning”
Friday, March 19, 2010

Having ignored the Medicare Actuaries’ warnings,
Democrats prescribe additional cuts to seniors’ safety-net program

The Senate Democrats’ health bill cuts Medicare by a whopping $463 billion. These cuts were so drastic that the Obama Administration’s own Medicare Actuaries predicted that “providers might end their participation in the program (possibly jeopardizing access to care for beneficiaries).” But President Obama and Congressional Democrats ignored this warning and pressed ahead with $60.5 billion in additional Medicare cuts in their “reconciliation bill” (H.R. 4872), bringing the grand total to a staggering $523.5 billion to fund a new entitlement.

These cuts include:

$202.3 billion in cuts to seniors’ Medicare health plans, including massive cuts targeting the extra benefits and reduced cost-sharing seniors receive through Medicare Advantage (MA). CBO had predicted a similar policy would rob 3 million seniors currently receiving their health benefits through Medicare plan, while the independent Medicare Payment Advisory Commission (MedPAC) predicted 1 in 5 seniors would no longer be able to enroll in MA as a result of this policy.

$156.6 billion in cuts to inpatient and outpatient hospital services, inpatient rehabilitation facilities (IRFs), long-term care hospitals (LTCHs), inpatient psychiatric hospitals, skilled nursing facilities (SNFs), Ambulatory Surgical Centers (ASCs), hospice, ambulances, dialysis facilities, labs and durable medical equipment (DME) suppliers by permanently instituting a new “productivity adjustment” payment cut, which Democrats assume will make providers more efficient in delivering care. Inpatient and outpatient hospital services, inpatient rehabilitation facilities (IRFs), long-term care hospitals (LTCHs), inpatient psychiatric hospitals, hospice, labs and DME suppliers are further subject to years of additional cuts to their reimbursement rates through reduced “market basket updates”.

$39.7 billion in cuts to home health reimbursements.

$22.1 billion in additional cuts to hospitals by slashing reimbursements designed to assist hospitals that serve low-income patients.

$20.7 billion in cuts to the Medicare Improvement Fund, which had been intended to fund improvements to seniors’ Medicare benefits, not to finance a new entitlement.

$13.3 billion in yet-to-be-determined Medicare cuts from the hands of an unelected federal board.

$2.3 billion in cuts to imaging reimbursements when seniors use MRIs, CT scans, etc.

$800 million in cuts to power wheelchair suppliers.

$65.7 billion in money taken from seniors in the form of higher premiums and additional cuts to Medicare beneficiaries and providers.

http://republicans.waysandmeans.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=177157

Direckshun
03-19-2010, 12:39 PM
And Pete has now progressed to directly posting Republican talking points.

petegz28
03-19-2010, 12:42 PM
And Pete has now progressed to directly posting Republican talking points.

In other words you have not received your talking points yet in how to refute the claims.

tmax63
03-19-2010, 02:25 PM
The Repub's talking points are a helluva lot closer to the truth than the lying doublespeak the Dems are using to ram this down the throats of the majority of Americans that are against this abomination of a bill.

Direckshun
03-19-2010, 02:35 PM
In other words you have not received your talking points yet in how to refute the claims.

I'm not going to be your therapist in every thread. I'm not going to waste my time with bullshit that might as well have come from Mark Levin's office.

Chief Faithful
03-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Don't worry, once the HC bill is signed they will go about adding all this spending right back in the next bill.

petegz28
03-19-2010, 03:08 PM
I'm not going to be your therapist in every thread. I'm not going to waste my time with bullshit that might as well have come from Mark Levin's office.

Still waiting on your talking point? IF it's bullshit then show me where it is wrong.

Direckshun
03-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Still waiting on your talking point? IF it's bullshit then show me where it is wrong.

Why? It doesn't show me where it's supposed to be right.

There's no evidence of their claim, just a claim by itself. You gotta make an actual argument before you expect me to give a shit about Republican spin.

You used to be so skeptical, Pete. But now you just swallow whatever's scooted your way directly from the Republican party whether or not they actually prove what they're saying.

If you can show me the handiwork they use to get these numbers, I'll respond. But I'm not going to respond to shit just because they say it with zero backup.

Taco John
03-19-2010, 04:27 PM

There's no evidence of their claim, just a claim by itself. You gotta make an actual argument before you expect me to give a shit about Republican spin.

You used to be so skeptical, Pete. But now you just swallow whatever's scooted your way directly from the Republican party whether or not they actually prove what they're saying.

If you can show me the handiwork they use to get these numbers, I'll respond. But I'm not going to respond to shit just because they say it with zero backup.

Here's what Democrat Altmire says about it:

"Particularly hard hit would be western Pennsylvania's Medicare beneficiaries, which many experts believe would experience dramatic premium increases with enactment of this bill," Altmire said.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_672516.html

petegz28
03-19-2010, 04:37 PM

In other words you can't refute any of this informaton so you dismiss it out of hand. Got it.

And FTR, I am still skeptical. But right now it is the Dems that are shoveling shit down and icing it as something else. Lacking or refusing to provide details, working backroom deals, etc, etc.

banyon
03-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Here's what Democrat Altmire says about it:

"Particularly hard hit would be western Pennsylvania's Medicare beneficiaries, which many experts believe would experience dramatic premium increases with enactment of this bill," Altmire said.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_672516.html

Shouldn't you be for totally eliminating Medicare?

patteeu
03-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Don't worry, once the HC bill is signed they will go about adding all this spending right back in the next bill.

That.

Taco John
03-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Shouldn't you be for totally eliminating Medicare?

I don't think you can turn out the generations of people who the government has made dependant on them. Eliminating Medicare isn't a priority for me. My number one priority is auditing the fed, with decreasing (particularly our overseas spending) so that we can make social security solvent. Not that I'm a big proponent of social security, but the fact is the government has people dependant, and these people should be paid out while generations now should be given the option to opt out of this sort of absolutist ideological programs that progressives love to force on people.

I'm an incrementalist. I don't think you can eliminate government dependancy overnight and maintain peace.