PDA

View Full Version : KU *** KU vs N. Iowa, Rd # 2 NCAA Game Thread 03/20/10 ***

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

HC_Chief
03-20-2010, 06:20 PM
I think Self should have went to the press at half or 10 min left in the first half.

This.
KU had a very deep team this year.... why not take advantage of that by pressuring all game?

KU had a great half-court game this year but UNI did exactly what you have to do to beat Kansas: multiple screens for the outside shooter + hustle your ass back when KU gets a defensive rebound.

Self took too long to go full court, and when he started, he did it half-assed with a 1-3-1 trap.

banyon
03-20-2010, 06:20 PM
We lost to a f*cking directional school.

This is the worst loss easily since 1998 to Rhode Island, maybe the worst loss in the history of the program, given the expectations. The refs called a ridiculously uneven game and then we had miracle threes from sloth the center.

Our penchant for f*cking around for half the game certainly didn't help. This game was f*cking ridicuous. Self, Collins are to blame.

Silock
03-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Anyone got a transcript of the post-game comments yet?

Reerun_KC
I don't know. I mean, if he didn't have that title I would probably agree. But that championship in 08 makes a big difference. I guess if this kind of thing continues then you can say that. But I'm not ready to make that leap. Self is hardly responsible for his team leader playing like dog shit today. I mean, Collins was terrible in about every way imaginable.

This isnt the last early round exit by KU nor is it the last time Self will ever win a championship at KU...

This is why you love the NCAA tourney... How many brackets were shredded today?

ROYC75
False.

And when does Forrest say "It happens"

Give it a rest, you still are not as smart as you think !

ArrowheadHawk
I'm proud of what the team did during the year but maybee they needed to lose some of those close games so they would learn to come out of the gates hard. If KU plays their game they beat UNI by 20. They come out and play like shit and you get what happened today.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chocolate Hog
lmao how many people have me on ignore?

Reerun_KC
This.
KU had a very deep team this year.... why not take advantage of that by pressuring all game?

KU had a great half-court game this year but UNI did exactly what you have to do to beat Kansas: multiple screens for the outside shooter + hustle your ass back when KU gets a defensive rebound.

Self took too long to go full court, and when he started, he did it half-assed with a 1-3-1 trap.

My only complaint for the game...

Silock
This.

Yup. You have to press against these teams. We were calling for it all game long and when we switched to it, it was just too late.

Chocolate Hog
03-20-2010, 06:22 PM
I'm proud of what the team did during the year but maybee they needed to lose some of those close games so they would learn to come out of the gates hard. If KU plays their game they beat UNI by 20. They come out and play like shit and you get what happened today.
Posted via Mobile Device

I thought all those close games and no practicing hard would teach KU.

loce1959
i knew Obama was wrong about some stuff but DAMN!

If you listen to the morons at MSNBC it was probably George Bush's fault.LMAO

HC_Chief

This is the worst loss easily since 1998 to Rhode Island, maybe the worst loss in the history of the program, given the expectations. The refs called a ridiculously uneven game and then we had miracle threes from sloth the center.

Our penchant for f*cking around for half the game certainly didn't help. This game was f*cking ridicuous. Self, Collins are to blame.

Now, now, Tyshawn sucked as much ass as anyone else.

ROYC75
This.

I agree.

banyon
This bracket is Tom Izzo's to own now. He won't get outcoached like that.

ArrowheadHawk
term is outplayed. outcoached. 20 pts on turn-overs.

I'll bet you are happy. I still remeber your bitching about the SIU game.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reaper16

KU fans cannot complain about the officiating. Aldrich gets so many favors each game it renders your complaint absurd.

DeezNutz
Anyone got a transcript of the post-game comments yet?

"uh, uh, uh, uh..." /Self

kysirsoze
03-20-2010, 06:23 PM
While I agree Self should have gone to the press earlier, I'm not sure I understand why he stayed in it on that last possession that led to the 3. It was a 1 point game. As long as you don't give up the three, we were guaranteed a shot to tie it up. I now we had had some success with the press, but I thought the lower risk at that point was the smarter play.

StcChief
03-20-2010, 06:24 PM
the brothers lost to big farm boys. gotta love it.

Pants
03-20-2010, 06:24 PM

Just like in real life, people are simply ignoring your dumbass. Don't think anybody has actually put you on ignore.

|Zach|
03-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Give it a rest, you still are not as smart as you think !

And you are the only one worried about how smart I am.

Says more about you than me bud. Go toke up.

Chocolate Hog
Just like in real life, people are simply ignoring your dumbass. Don't think anybody has actually put you on ignore.

Aww is someone bitter because his team choked again?

Brainiac
This isn't the first time KU was the overall #1 seed and didn't make it to the Final Four. Don't forget the team that finished 34-2 in 1997. Bill Self wasn't the coach of that team.

It happens.

StcChief
03-20-2010, 06:26 PM
I'll bet you are happy. I still remeber your bitching about the SIU game.
Posted via Mobile DeviceI am happy. very happy.
props to MVC maybe alittle more respect now.
KU didn't play their game,... ultimately it cost 'em.

Buehler445

I don't think anyone knows if KU booed Collins. Dane was the only one I saw mention it.

Lzen
Sucks that we're losing Cole, but GOOD that X is gone. Most overhyped player EVER. That being said, if he came back, he'd probably be phenomenal next year.

Yeah, he ended up being pretty good but nowhere near all the hype. Although I wouldn't say that it is good that we lose X next year (if that happens). I imagine his game would improve quite a bit next year if he stayed. Doubt it happens, though.

HC_Chief
While I agree Self should have gone to the press earlier, I'm not sure I understand why he stayed in it on that last possession that led to the 3. It was a 1 point game. As long as you don't give up the three, we were guaranteed a shot to tie it up. I now we had had some success with the press, but I thought the lower risk at that point was the smarter play.

Because it was working. UNI passed over the TT leap for the ball and Collins allowed the outside shooter to stop, set, and pop. Game over.

Plus UNI was freaking MONEY from the charity stripe.

Mr. Arrowhead
I told you guys that KU needed to speed the game up, but i was told i didnt know what i was talking about. o well, GO MVC!!!!!

BWillie
03-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Yup. You have to press against these teams. We were calling for it all game long and when we switched to it, it was just too late.

Everyone on Kansas Scout was jumping all over me by saying this, but it's true. Self single handedly lost the Bucknell game on his own. I won't say he lost this game on his own, because UNI is a deep team and they got alot of crazy long rebounds on loose balls. But I was deeply cheering for UNLV for a long time coming because I knew UNI was the team that could certainly disrupt a high scoring team such as KU.

I was saying we need to full court press and trap these bastards since I saw them in the 8/9 game last Sunday.

We are more athletic than UNI. Fact.
We are deeper than UNI. Fact (We have 4 and 5 star guys sitting the bench)
Run the shit out of them. Play frantically. That is one reason I like Mike Anderson, but even he does not change his style, which can be his downfall as well when he plays KU..

banyon
KU fans cannot complain about the officiating. Aldrich gets so many favors each game it renders your complaint absurd.

Aldrich didn't get any favors this game. Those guys hacked us on nearly every possession for the first 20 minutes, it reminded me of watching the paid for SEC refs during Arkansas's heyday and the "40 minutes of handslaps".

Buehler445
the brothers lost to big farm boys. gotta love it.

LOL "Brothers".

You're a fucking tool. Reed, Morningstar, Aldrich are "brothers"?

ArrowheadHawk
I can't wait till the tourney goes bigger if we can't get up for UNI how are we going to get up for some team that shouldn't even be in the field.
Posted via Mobile Device

banyon
Everyone on Kansas Scout was jumping all over me by saying this, but it's true. Self single handedly lost the Bucknell game on his own. I won't say he lost this game on his own, because UNI is a deep team and they got alot of crazy long rebounds on loose balls. But I was deeply cheering for UNLV for a long time coming because I knew UNI was the team that could certainly disrupt a high scoring team such as KU.

No kidding, I'd like to count those up too.

Chocolate Hog
I don't think anyone knows if KU booed Collins. Dane was the only one I saw mention it.

I see. It wasn't even Collins fault they lost they have a billion NBA players and UNI took advatnage of the great equalizer.

Pants
03-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Aww is someone bitter because his team choked again?

Dude, you're a Nebraska fan. Your school has been irrelevant in everything except baseball since the mid 90's. LOL. I realize this is making you very happy, which is just another example of how pathetic your existence is.

BWillie

Naw, that wasn't Self's fault. That guy was a complete retard for shooting that shot. He made it, sure. He shots 37% on the season. He should have missed it, esp w/ the pressure. Should have have missed that shot, KU would have had an extra possession and probably would have won the game.

If I was that coach, I would not be results oriented. I would bitch that kid out for shooting that kind of bullshit w/ 31 seconds on the game shot.

Lzen
False.

And when does Forrest say "It happens"

You're so full of shit. I remember that video you posted. That is a perfect example of what Roy is talking about. I'll bet you have already ordered your No. Iowa shirt to go along with your Bucknell and Bradley shirts.

BWillie
03-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Yeah, he ended up being pretty good but nowhere near all the hype. Although I wouldn't say that it is good that we lose X next year (if that happens). I imagine his game would improve quite a bit next year if he stayed. Doubt it happens, though.

X was actually better than I thought he'd be. Well, he was at least he same player I thought he'd be. I didn't think he'd avg 14 a game, but I thought Cole and Tyshawn would score more. X is who we thought he was. He's gonzo. Best of luck to the kid

|Zach|
You're so full of shit. I remember that video you posted. That is a perfect example of what Roy is talking about. I'll bet you have already ordered your No. Iowa shirt to go along with your Bucknell and Bradley shirts.

What video?

KChiefs1
I hate to rub it in to KU fans...well not actually but I have a question & a point:

Why didn't KU press sooner in the game & MU would have ran & pressed Yes Iowa out of that gym.

HC_Chief
03-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Aldrich didn't get any favors this game. Those guys hacked us on nearly every possession for the first 20 minutes, it reminded me of watching the paid for SEC refs during Arkansas's heyday and the "40 minutes of handslaps".

The big Irish forward was laying some nasty screens. That was really frustrating KU.

Instead of getting pissy and whining to the refs they should have attacked the basket. Settling for jump shots is what KU did against Tennessee, OkState, and UNI. Same *^@%ing result.

Silock
03-20-2010, 06:30 PM
I hate to rub it in to KU fans...well not actually but I have a question & a point:

Why didn't KU press sooner in the game & MU would have ran & pressed Yes Iowa out of that gym.

I don't think you're rubbing it in. We're all saying the same thing.

Reerun_KC
03-20-2010, 06:31 PM
I don't think you're rubbing it in. We're all saying the same thing.

ALL GAME LONG!

banyon
03-20-2010, 06:31 PM
The big Irish forward was laying some nasty screens. That was really frustrating KU.

Instead of getting pissy and whining to the refs they should have attacked the basket. Settling for jump shots is what KU did against Tennessee, OkState, and UNI. Same *^@%ing result.

I agree, but all I'm saying is it was one of the factors leading to the "perfect storm" of fortunate/unfortunate events leading to the result today.

EyePod
03-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Can't wait till the Chiefs have the opportunity to be upset and not play as the god damned underdog...

KChiefs1
03-20-2010, 06:35 PM
I really like Self as a coach but it took him way too long to start pressing. I'd like to see Mizzou vs Northern Iowa to see how they could have handled the Fastest 40.

Chocolate Hog
03-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Dude, you're a Nebraska fan. Your school has been irrelevant in everything except baseball since the mid 90's. LOL. I realize this is making you very happy, which is just another example of how pathetic your existence is.

The football team is irrelvevant? Is that why your douchebag fans stormed the field when you beat them for once?

The fact is all you do is troll on this board and say other peoples lives are miserable is hilarious. Now go out with your frat bros ya'll will fit nicely with the rest of the pot smoking emos in Lawrence.

Braincase
03-20-2010, 06:43 PM
COngrats to Northern Iowa. I only got to see the last few minutes of the game, but KU had their off game today. Oh, well. Good luck to the rest of the Big 12 teams the rest of the way.

Brainiac
03-20-2010, 06:43 PM
I really like Self as a coach but it took him way too long to start pressing. I'd like to see Mizzou vs Northern Iowa to see how they could have handled the Fastest 40.
I'm thinking Bill Self realizes that too, now.

Silock
03-20-2010, 06:44 PM
The football team is irrelvevant? Is that why your douchebag fans stormed the field when you beat them for once?

The fact is all you do is troll on this board and say other peoples lives are miserable is hilarious. Now go out with your frat bros ya'll will fit nicely with the rest of the pot smoking emos in Lawrence.

I'm not going to say that Nebraska is irrelevant or anything, but you have to admit that you troll KU threads pretty damn hard.

CosmicPal
03-20-2010, 06:45 PM
Well, with a minute to go I rubbed my dog for good luck and that good luck wasn't answered, so I took him outside and shot him.

PHHHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKK!

Lzen
What moron would want Coach Self gone?

Apparently, everybody's favorite Moron, Dane.

term is outplayed. outcoached. 20 pts on turn-overs.

Sigh. This is, for the most part, true.

"uh, uh, uh, uh..." /Self

I admit it. I laughed.

What video?

ROFL

Silock
I'm thinking Bill Self realizes that too, now.

The real question is "Does this make him think about changing the way he approaches some games in the future?" It should.

And he's going to have to do some MAJOR fucking recruiting repair now. He just fucked us for a while.

Chocolate Hog
I'm not going to say that Nebraska is irrelevant or anything, but you have to admit that you troll KU threads pretty damn hard.

Look at the Nebraska/Iowa State thread. It's the internet we talk shit. People like metrosexualike take it more serious than others though.

Lzen
03-20-2010, 06:48 PM

Many of us KU fans were wondering the same thing. Don't know the answer.

billay, I find it ironic that after your posts in this thread you have the nerve to call a KU fan a troll. What you're doing is the very definition of trolling.

VonneMarie
03-20-2010, 06:48 PM
LMAO

:mizzou:

Chocolate Hog
03-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Many of us KU fans were wondering the same thing. Don't know the answer.

billay, I find it ironic that after your posts in this thread you have the nerve to call a KU fan a troll. What you're doing is the very definition of trolling.

I also come here to discuss the games. Has Metro ever gave a take? For fucks sake I even made a thread about how KU was going to win it all.

CosmicPal
03-20-2010, 06:49 PM
:mizzou:

LMAO

HC_Chief
03-20-2010, 06:51 PM
The real question is "Does this make him think about changing the way he approaches some games in the future?" It should.

And he's going to have to do some MAJOR ****ing recruiting repair now. He just ****ed us for a while.

No and no.

Self's KU teams have a ridiculous winning % in regular season and in the Big XII tourney, with one NC.

The loss today affects neither his coaching style nor recruiting.

Lzen
03-20-2010, 06:51 PM
I also come here to discuss the games. Has Metro ever gave a take? For fucks sake I even made a thread about how KU was going to win it all.

Metrolike is a good KU fan and has good input on the team. I don't know what he does as far as other teams game threads.

Brainiac
03-20-2010, 06:53 PM
No and no.

Self's KU teams have a ridiculous winning % in regular season and in the Big XII tourney, with one NC.

Yeah, I wondered what the fuck he was thinking.

KU is loaded next year even without Collins, Aldrich, and Xavier, and Self is one of the best recruiters around.

Silock
03-20-2010, 06:54 PM
No and no.

That's all well and good, but I'm becoming concerned about NCAA tourney winning %. Even our two regular season losses could probably have been prevented.

Silock
03-20-2010, 06:55 PM
Yeah, I wondered what the fuck he was thinking.

KU is loaded next year even without Collins, Aldrich, and Xavier, and Self is one of the best recruiters around.

Losing Selby would hurt.

chiefsfan987
03-20-2010, 06:56 PM
No and no.

I think it should affect his scheduling though. It probably won't, but he needs to schedule more mid-majors in non conference on the road instead of having so many home games.

duncan_idaho
03-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Losing Selby would hurt.

Does Selby want to be a one-and-done guy?

If he does, I have a hard time seeing him go anywhere but Kentucky. Calipari has a pretty impressive track record with point guards of that nature...

ArrowheadHawk
03-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Losing Selby would hurt.
I think self is better off with guys that will stay 3-4 yrs than 1-2.
Posted via Mobile Device

Guru
03-20-2010, 06:59 PM
False.

And when does Forrest say "It happens"You obviously were not paying attention during that movie.

Lzen
03-20-2010, 07:00 PM
I think it should affect his scheduling though. It probably won't, but he needs to schedule more mid-majors in non conference on the road instead of having so many home games.

Agreed.

Silock
03-20-2010, 07:01 PM
I think self is better off with guys that will stay 3-4 yrs than 1-2.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe. Talent is talent, though. I'm just devastated and concerned for the future. Seems bleak right about now, even with the talent on the bench. I don't think our bench talent is enough to win a NC.

BWillie
03-20-2010, 07:02 PM
Maybe. Talent is talent, though. I'm just devastated and concerned for the future. Seems bleak right about now, even with the talent on the bench. I don't think our bench talent is enough to win a NC.

We'll still be preseason Top 12 I think

Chocolate Hog
03-20-2010, 07:02 PM

Bullshit.

UNI is no Bucknell they're actually a good team and even then KU won it all a few years later. I'm sure they'll do it again soon too.

HC_Chief
03-20-2010, 07:03 PM

Why? Seriously, KU played a great schedule this season. They were tested early and often.

They just got outplayed today. You don't second guess everything you do, especially when it has been so successful, because of one loss.

ArrowheadHawk
03-20-2010, 07:04 PM
Even though they won today I still think UNI won't make it past next weekend.
Posted via Mobile Device

BWillie
Bullshit.

UNI is no Bucknell they're actually a good team and even then KU won it all a few years later. I'm sure they'll do it again soon too.

I actually think it might take another 20 years, esp w/ the field expanding to a bullshit 96 teams. I mean, why even care if you are a traditional power house like in college football? You are getting a chance to play for the title anyway.

BWillie
Why? Seriously, KU played a great schedule this season. They were tested early and often.

They just got outplayed today. You don't second guess everything you do, especially when it has been so successful, because of one loss.

I don't do this often, but THIS.

Chocolate Hog
03-20-2010, 07:06 PM
I actually think it might take another 20 years, esp w/ the field expanding to a bullshit 96 teams. I mean, why even care if you are a traditional power house like in college football? You are getting a chance to play for the title anyway.

You think they really will expand the field to 96? Even so KU will be in it every year sure it might be harder but it's not like the coach sucks or the best recruits are going elsewere.

ChiefsCountry
03-20-2010, 07:06 PM

Self has chickened out on games in Springfield, Omaha and Wichita.

BWillie
03-20-2010, 07:07 PM
You think they really will expand the field to 96? Even so KU will be in it every year sure it might be harder but it's not like the coach sucks or the best recruits are going elsewere.

Yeah you are right. Whew. For a minute there I thought Doc Sadler might swoop in and take Woolridge and Selby. Thanks for taking me back to reality.

Chocolate Hog
03-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Yeah you are right. Whew. For a minute there I thought Doc Sadler might swoop in and take Woolridge and Selby. Thanks for taking me back to reality.

Doc Sadler won't even be the coach in 2 years.

Mr. Arrowhead
03-20-2010, 07:09 PM
i have always said this, KU struggles badly with the style of play that the Mo. Valley brings.

Lzen
03-20-2010, 07:14 PM
Even though they won today I still think UNI won't make it past next weekend.
Posted via Mobile Device

To say UNI won't make the Final Four isn't really a stretch.

Buehler445
03-20-2010, 07:15 PM

Remember in that thread I told you if KU lost, all KU fans would hold you responsible. :cuss:

Chocolate Hog
03-20-2010, 07:16 PM
Remember in that thread I told you if KU lost, all KU fans would hold you responsible. :cuss:

Did you? Well i'd like my 10 bucks back that KU costed me. You guys didn't cheer loud enough or something.

MTG#10
wtf? no fucking way...lol

Guru
To say UNI won't make the Final Four isn't really a stretch.I sure hope they win it all. I want to at least say we lost to the champs.

Buehler445
03-20-2010, 07:17 PM
Self has chickened out on games in Springfield, Omaha and Wichita.
Not this shit again.

MTG#10
03-20-2010, 07:20 PM
MU better fucking win tomorrow

Lzen
Why?

This.

i have always said this, KU struggles badly with the style of play that the Mo. Valley brings.

ChiefaRoo
Not this shit again.

It's true. KU is afraid to schedule regional games in basketball against non-conference teams. Creighton, Wichita State, Missouri State et al. AD's at KU are gutless.

Coach
03-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Damn, that really sucked for you KU fans. My consoldences.
Posted via Mobile Device

BWillie
03-20-2010, 07:22 PM
It's true. KU is afraid to schedule regional games against non-conference teams. Creighton, Wichita State, Missouri State et al. AD's at KU are gutless.

Yep. So afraid. That is why they went to UCLA this year. You make me LOL every time you post. It's really entertaining.

ChiefaRoo
03-20-2010, 07:26 PM
Yep. So afraid. That is why they went to UCLA this year. You make me LOL every time you post. It's really entertaining.

I said regional non-con's dummy. More specifically, Valley teams. Hell Iowa plays UNI so why doesn't KU schedule WSU in KC, Lawrence, Wichita? It wouldn't hurt recruiting but it might hurt your typical KU fans ego if they lose so they won't schedule any Valley schools.

Lzen
03-20-2010, 07:29 PM
It's true. KU is afraid to schedule regional games in basketball against non-conference teams. Creighton, Wichita State, Missouri State et al. AD's at KU are gutless.

I really doubt that they are afraid. There has to be some other reason. But I would like to see them do this.

Lzen
03-20-2010, 07:31 PM
I said regional non-con's dummy. More specifically, Valley teams. Hell Iowa plays UNI so why doesn't KU schedule WSU in KC, Lawrence, Wichita? It wouldn't hurt recruiting but it might hurt your typical KU fans ego if they lose so they won't schedule any Valley schools.

They didn't have a problem scheduling UCLA probably because the money makes sense. KU has nothing to gain by playing a MVC and everything to lose.Think about it. I know you have a brain somewhere in there. Use it.

luv
03-20-2010, 07:31 PM
I really doubt that they are afraid. There has to be some other reason. But I would like to see them do this.

My guess would be that a loss to a team with a low RPI would hurt them too greatly.

Silock
03-20-2010, 07:32 PM
My guess would be that a loss to a team with a low RPI would hurt them too greatly.

I seriously doubt they're worried about losing to them in the regular season. Tourney? Absolutely. But not the regular season.

ChiefaRoo
03-20-2010, 07:33 PM

Me too, it would be good for basketball in KS. It would draw TV and great crowds. Three game series. One game in Larryville, one in Doo Dah and one in KC.

ChiefsCountry
03-20-2010, 07:33 PM
They didn't have a problem scheduling UCLA probably because the money makes sense. KU has nothing to gain by playing a MVC and everything to lose.Think about it. I know you have a brain somewhere in there. Use it.

ESPN offered a KU/Wichita State showdown at Sprint Center and at Allen Fieldhouse. KU turned down both of them.

ChiefaRoo
03-20-2010, 07:35 PM

KU plays cupcakes every year and pays them to come to Lawrence to get destroyed. WSU had a top 50 RPI for most of the year. Further, they beat UNI in Wichita. It would be fun to see two 100 plus year old programs play some exciting pre-conference ball. The networks would cover it and the games would be sellouts.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-20-2010, 07:36 PM
The Strenth of the Jayhawks got....DEBACLED.

Mr. Arrowhead
well if they would play them more in non conference, maybe KU wouldnt have such big issues with valley teams in the tourney.

ChiefaRoo
ESPN offered a KU/Wichita State showdown at Sprint Center and at Allen Fieldhouse. KU turned down both of them.

That's exactly right.

ChiefsCountry
03-20-2010, 07:38 PM
well if they would play them more in non conference, maybe KU wouldnt have such big issues with valley teams in the tourney.

Hey we got a Big 12 team coming to Springfield we got Okie State coming. I know you guys got Texas Tech.

Lzen

I would be all for that. No idea why they would turn it down. But I seriously doubt it's cause they're scared. Despite what happened tonight, I'm quite certain that KU would beat UNI or WSU a lot more times than they would lose to them no matter where they play. But it would be good experience for that style of basketball.

Braincase
KU plays cupcakes every year and pays them to come to Lawrence to get destroyed. WSU had a top 50 RPI for most of the year. Further, they beat UNI in Wichita. It would be fun to see two 100 plus year old programs play some exciting pre-conference ball.

Actually, KU plays teams with a variety of different styles, so they can adapt to different tempos and strengths. You can call them cupcakes, but I think you'll find there is something to what I'm saying.

Lzen
03-20-2010, 07:39 PM

Agreed.

ChiefsCountry
03-20-2010, 07:39 PM
[QUOTE=Lzen;6619652]But I seriously doubt it's cause they're scared. /QUOTE]

Its fear, lose to Wichita State and KU would look 10 times worst than they do today. Its same reason Mizzou won't take our calls either. After we spanked them in Columbia last time.

ChiefsCountry
03-20-2010, 07:40 PM
WTH is wrong with me today I am sticking up for the Shuckers. :)

ChiefaRoo
03-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Bottom line the Valley schools and their Big12 regional rivals should play. It's better for both leagues. It adds excitement to the season and that way KU doesn't have to pay some chump school to get killed in Lawrence and WSU doesn't have to schedule f8gging Lamar or Sacramento State.

Mr. Arrowhead

Us valley brothers gotta stick together!!!

ChiefaRoo

Valley baby.

boogblaster
03-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Bad Bad loss .. but N. Iowa always has a good team ....

DaneMcCloud
03-20-2010, 07:46 PM
You attended KU? Wow. You are one sorry ass fan. Terrible. And any other KU fans, if you blame Collins or any of these kids because they didn't "try hard enough". That is complete bullshit. Shit happens. Get over it. Accept it. It's the NCAA Crapshoot tournament.

Oh, so I'm supposed to be a "True Fan"? I'm supposed to overlook the flaws of the head coach, year after year?

Huh?

DaneMcCloud
03-20-2010, 07:47 PM
So are you saying Self has flaws, or are you saying that you'd fire him if you could?

If you could fire him, who would you replace him with?

Where did I say that I'd fire him?

He certainly needs a large dose of introspection before next season because as I mentioned earlier, it's becoming a pattern for him to lose to less talented squads and much smaller schools in the tournament.

Silock
03-20-2010, 07:51 PM

He certainly needs a large dose of introspection before next season because as I mentioned earlier, it's becoming a pattern for him to lose to less talented squads and much smaller schools in the tournament.

I agree. He's not a bad coach at all. And no one is saying he needs to overhaul his approach, but a few tweaks here and there are obviously needed. This team constantly mails it in in the first half. We did that several times this year and this time, it really, really cost us.

DeezNutz
03-20-2010, 07:52 PM

Elite 8
NC
Sweet 16 (rebuilding year)
Round 2 **** up.

It is not a pattern. Has it happened before? Yes. But shit happens sometimes.

Self is the least of the worries, and the clown suit he put on the other top coaches in the FF in '08 firmly established him as an elite coach.

I'm sure there's room for improvement--that's human nature, but...

|Zach|
03-20-2010, 07:53 PM
ROFL

Seriously, what video? I don't know what you are referencing?

Bearcat
03-20-2010, 07:54 PM

Huh?

Bucknell and Bradley were not the beginning of a trend, obviously... that was the transition. It was Roy's players being forced into the hi-lo. It was Self adjusting his style to the Big 12. HTF could it be a pattern?

ROYC75
03-20-2010, 07:55 PM
And you are the only one worried about how smart I am.

Says more about you than me bud. Go toke up.

Worried ? Nope, just couldn't see why you had to try to correct me when you knew nothing of which I was talking about.

Toke ? Ha Ha, you can't stand it that you were wrong. Besides, I don't smoke, just some more things you know nothing of !

Wanna try again ?

Spare us and stop!

Bearcat
03-20-2010, 07:55 PM
Seriously, what video? I don't know what you are referencing?

I missed an hour or two of the thread, but I assume it's the video you posted after KU lost to USF in football...... I think. Something about MU fans celebrating a KU loss at Tomfooleries.

|Zach|
03-20-2010, 08:00 PM
I missed an hour or two of the thread, but I assume it's the video you posted after KU lost to USF in football...... I think. Something about MU fans celebrating a KU loss at Tomfooleries.

Oh that? I had forgotten about that. My fav part of that was how long and drawn out the moment was.

Was THAT my national championship?

Awesome. Poor Lzen pulling at straws to try and slam me two nights in a row. Give it up lil guy. In other news...a national championship doesn't feel quite as good as I would have thought.

|Zach|
03-20-2010, 08:04 PM
Worried ? Nope, just couldn't see why you had to try to correct me when you knew nothing of which I was talking about.

Toke ? Ha Ha, you can't stand it that you were wrong. Besides, I don't smoke, just some more things you know nothing of !

Wanna try again ?

Spare us and stop!

What? Well you are totally full of shit on one of these posts. lol

I did forget a part of a movie I saw years ago but didn't forget anything I said just last night. ROFLROFLROFL

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=6617186&postcount=45

I'm getting old too, guess I missed that one.

Between the dope and work, I miss a lot of things anymore. I need a new drug, this stuff has me all kooked up.

duncan_idaho
03-20-2010, 08:05 PM
ku/Mizzou/whomever not scheduling local schools isn't about fear...

It's about ... what the hell is in it for the BCS conference school? There's no money in it, nothing to be gained and only things to be lost.

SMS thinks it deserves a home-and-home with Mizzou. As long as it keeps thinking that, it can keep sitting down in Blunt-land and being irrelevant (while not playing Mizzou). Same for SLU.

I'm not sure what WSU has proposed to ku or what Creighton has proposed, but Missouri has not received a schedule offer from another Missouri school that makes sense financially or for Missouri in a long time.

And that's the way it should be. Why should Missouri do ANYTHING that helps SMS? That's what scheduling a home-and-home with that program (And giving them a Super Bowl game) does.

Pitt Gorilla
I'm still trying to figure out all the hate from KU fans on Whitlock's column; dude was absolutely spot-on. He may not have said what people wanted to hear, but he was correct.

DaneMcCloud
Elite 8
NC
Sweet 16 (rebuilding year)
Round 2 **** up.

It is not a pattern. Has it happened before? Yes. But shit happens sometimes.

Self is the least of the worries, and the clown suit he put on the other top coaches in the FF in '08 firmly established him as an elite coach.

I'm sure there's room for improvement--that's human nature, but...

Here's what bothers me: Not playing to the seed.

If they were a 7 seed and lost to a 12 or a 13 or whatever, that's fine. But Self hasn't played to his seed in three out of seven tournaments.

When you're the number one seed overall, meaning you're the best team in the nation, then you shouldn't lose to teams like UNI.

Once KU was down by 8 to begin the game, he should have called a timeout, collected himself and team and changed the strategy. Allowing them to get down by so much is what killed them in the end.

It was a poor coaching performance and it's certainly not the first time it's happened in the NCAA's.

|Zach|
03-20-2010, 08:07 PM
ku/Mizzou/whomever not scheduling local schools isn't about fear...

It's about ... what the hell is in it for the BCS conference school? There's no money in it, nothing to be gained and only things to be lost.

SMS thinks it deserves a home-and-home with Mizzou. As long as it keeps thinking that, it can keep sitting down in Blunt-land and being irrelevant (while not playing Mizzou). Same for SLU.

I'm not sure what WSU has proposed to ku or what Creighton has proposed, but Missouri has not received a schedule offer from another Missouri school that makes sense financially or for Missouri in a long time.

And that's the way it should be. Why should Missouri do ANYTHING that helps SMS? That's what scheduling a home-and-home with that program (And giving them a Super Bowl game) does.
If Missouri State is mentioned you can guess duncan will be along being a vagina. It is incredible. lol

Saulbadguy
03-20-2010, 08:07 PM
That charge NEVER gets called on Sherron Collins in any Big XII arena. None.

StcChief
03-20-2010, 08:08 PM
unfortunately...now college is about money, nothing else. not region (where college tuitions are paid) by alot of instate parents....

ROYC75
03-20-2010, 08:09 PM
What? Well you are totally full of shit on one of these posts. lol

I did forget a part of a movie I saw years ago but didn't forget anything I said just last night. ROFLROFLROFL

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=6617186&postcount=45

You still do not know of what you speak about. Like I said, I do not smoke, it the pain medications ( dope, as in drugs ) that keep me kooked up.

Sad part is you believing you know me better than I know myself. You should stop assuming.

luv
03-20-2010, 08:11 PM
You still do not know of what you speak about. Like I said, I do not smoke, it the pain medications ( dope, as in drugs ) that keep me kooked up.

Sad part is you believing you know me better than I know myself. You should stop assuming.

I thought you meant pot as well.

|Zach|
03-20-2010, 08:11 PM
I thought you meant pot as well.

And why wouldn't you? lol

|Zach|
03-20-2010, 08:12 PM

I don't know you better than you know yourself. Why would I want that?

Man, what an idiot I was. Thinking dope could mean pot. ROFL

ROYC75
03-20-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm still trying to figure out all the hate from KU fans on Whitlock's column; dude was absolutely spot-on. He may not have said what people wanted to hear, but he was correct.

He was.

luv
03-20-2010, 08:14 PM

I've heard of smoking dope. Never heard of shooting dope, snorting dope, or popping dope. Maybe it's a Kentucky thing?

ROYC75
03-20-2010, 08:16 PM
I don't know you better than you know yourself. Why would I want that?

Man, what an idiot I was. Thinking dope could mean pot. ROFL

WOW, I'm so relieved that you finally came out and said it, I know myself better than you do after all these years of you telling me of the things that you know of about me.

Bout time you lived up to the truth.

Now, why you have the chance, go and learn more about yourself while you are on a roll.

ROYC75
03-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Never mind me luv, most people hear know of my chronic conditions over the years. To me, all drugs is dope, plain and simple. Some like to confine it to just weed. Bout the only thing I have never done since the doctors have me on all kinds of crap.

|Zach|
03-20-2010, 08:19 PM
WOW, I'm so relieved that you finally came out and said it, I know myself better than you do after all these years of you telling me of the things that you know of about me.

Bout time you lived up to the truth.

Now, why you have the chance, go and learn more about yourself while you are on a roll.

The way you see things is hilarious.

Bearcat
03-20-2010, 08:20 PM

Well, the only reason he has a job is because he stirs shit... it comes with the territory. It's like if a K-State fan tried making a serious point on this board... yeah, they might end up being right, but WTF is going to take them seriously?

DeezNutz
03-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Here's what bothers me: Not playing to the seed.

If they were a 7 seed and lost to a 12 or a 13 or whatever, that's fine. But Self hasn't played to his seed in three out of seven tournaments.

When you're the number one seed overall, meaning you're the best team in the nation, then you shouldn't lose to teams like UNI.

Once KU was down by 8 to begin the game, he should have called a timeout, collected himself and team and changed the strategy. Allowing them to get down by so much is what killed them in the end.

It was a poor coaching performance and it's certainly not the first time it's happened in the NCAA's.

2/3 weren't with his players. Once he's established *his* program, that hasn't been a problem. And his reputation prior to arriving at KU was anything but a tournament choke artist.

Terrible end to the year this year for Self. But that's what it is at this point, an isolated incident.

ROYC75
03-20-2010, 08:23 PM
The way you see things is hilarious.

Not as bad as you...... Not as bad as you.

Bearcat
03-20-2010, 08:28 PM
2/3 weren't with his players. Once he's established *his* program, that hasn't been a problem. And his reputation prior to arriving at KU was anything but a tournament choke artist.

Terrible end to the year this year for Self. But that's what it is at this point, an isolated incident.

Yep... FFS, he won a NC with his first group of seniors. He can't make free throws or 3 pointers for them.

Buehler445
03-20-2010, 08:32 PM

Because his health problems have been pretty well publicized here.

duncan_idaho
03-20-2010, 08:34 PM
If Missouri State is mentioned you can guess duncan will be along being a vagina. It is incredible. lol

Springfield Teacher's College?

Silock
03-20-2010, 08:35 PM

What column?

|Zach|
03-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Springfield Teacher's College?

I just think its funny...

Its like...everytime on the buzzer..MSU reference brings you out.

There is only so much time you can spend yacking about irrelevant you think something is. If that was really the case obviously you wouldn't take the time.

Silock
03-20-2010, 08:37 PM
Yep... FFS, he won a NC with his first group of seniors. He can't make free throws or 3 pointers for them.

No, but don't you think he could have done some things differently? Why wait so long to go to the press?

There were a lot of worrying things about this team that we all swept under the rug because we won in the end. But starting slow is something that plagued this team all year long and it finally caught up with us.

That doesn't worry you?

|Zach|
03-20-2010, 08:39 PM
This is actually an interesting write up.

http://www.cbssports.com/print/collegebasketball/story/13090780/its-a-crying-shame-kansas-didnt-want-it-sooner?tag=button-bar;btn-print

It's a crying shame Kansas didn't want it sooner

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Better late than never, Kansas wanted this game. Time had run out, sadly. Ninth-seeded Northern Iowa had just beaten the No. 1 seed Jayhawks -- the No. 1 overall seed Jayhawks -- in the second round, a 69-67 upset Saturday night that will rank among the biggest shockers in NCAA tournament history.

And Kansas wanted it. Finally.

The clock hit zero, the buzzer sounded, the Northern Iowa and Kansas State fans in attendance at the Ford Center went bonkers, and right then and there, it occurred to the Jayhawks that they really wanted to win this game.

Senior guard Sherron Collins walked toward the Kansas bench to be near someone, anyone, who might feel his pain, and finding nobody to hug, he simply collapsed in a heap in front of coach Bill Self's empty chair. Sophomore forward Marcus Morris was on his hands and knees. So was his twin brother, Markieff Morris.

Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- every year since 1998.

The Morris twins were crying into towels. So were Tyshawn Taylor and Xavier Henry. Brady Morningstar was bawling loudly, completely broken by this loss. It was a shocking sight for two reasons.

One, like I said, I've never seen a locker room this distraught.

Two, Kansas didn't play like the game had mattered this much. Not until it was late. Not until it was too late, obviously.

I'll tell you when it kicked in for Kansas, the desire to win, the realization that losing might actually, you know, hurt: With less than three minutes left, when Self stopped yelling and started coaching, and had his players cover the entire court as if their season depended on it. Which it did. From that moment on, it was obvious which team was the No. 1 overall Goliath, and which team was the ninth-seeded David from the Missouri Valley Conference.

Honestly, it was uncomfortable to watch the final three minutes. Uncomfortable because it wasn't fair, Kansas being so much bigger, stronger and quicker than Northern Iowa. It was like watching a ninth-grader beat up a second-grader. It was that much of a physical mismatch.

And it was uncomfortable because, as those final three minutes unfolded, it crystallized Kansas' apathy over the previous 37 minutes.

Kansas had wanted to win from the opening tap, sure. Sort of like, when it's dinner time, you want to eat. Are you hungry? Maybe, maybe not. But it's 6 p.m., and you eat at 6, so you head for the table. Same with Kansas for those first 37 minutes. This was a game, and athletes prefer winning to losing, so Kansas wanted to win.

But the Jayhawks didn't need to win until they trailed 59-54 with 2 minutes, 58 seconds left. They weren't starving until those final three minutes. Northern Iowa, meanwhile, chased down this game from the opening tap like it was the Panthers' first meal in weeks. I'm not talking about shots going into the basket, though Northern Iowa had plenty of those. Ali Farokhmanesh made a trio of 3-pointers in the first half, no surprise considering he was the final-second hero of the Panthers' opening-round victory against UNLV. Center Jordan Eglseder made two 3-pointers in the first half, a shock considering he had made just one 3-pointer all season.

It was more than made shots. It was rebounds. Both teams had 16 in the first half, and again, you had to watch those last three minutes to realize just how much smaller, slower and weaker Northern Iowa was. In the second half Kansas outrebounded the Panthers by eight, but by then the Jayhawks trailed by 12 points.

Kansas' low point might have come with 14 minutes left when a Northern Iowa 3-pointer was tapped all the way into the backcourt, and Markieff Morris literally stopped chasing the ball. He figured it was a backcourt violation, never mind that Northern Iowa was still playing. Chasing everyone else would have required desire, and Morris wasn't about to show that, and so the Panthers played the rest of that possession like a power play in hockey, five on four -- and scored two points.

Final margin of victory? Two points.

But it was more than made shots or rebounds or even hustle at halfcourt. It was grit. The Panthers chased Kansas around the floor like Kansas had taken their lunch money. Kansas was bigger, stronger and faster, as I've said, but Northern Iowa was pissed. It wanted that money back. Kansas was nonchalant, aloof. If this was a baseball game, through 37 minutes every Northern Iowa player would have had dirt on his chest and knees. Kansas' uniforms would have been immaculate.

Am I being clear here? Kansas forced just four turnovers in the first half, and that's not even technically true. Northern Iowa had four turnovers in the half. That much is true. But Kansas forced only one of them. The others were offensive fouls or unforced, sloppy UNI mistakes.

That's how the second half unfolded, too. Kansas forced two turnovers in the first 17 minutes of the second half. Do the math there: In 37 minutes, Northern Iowa committed just six turnovers. That's almost impossible to do, especially against a team with more size, speed and strength. But anything's possible when that bigger, stronger, faster team doesn't have the heart. And Kansas, until three minutes were left, didn't have it. Just wasn't Kansas' day in the ol' ticker department.

In those final three minutes, though, Kansas made like the Grinch. Its heart grew two sizes after Self called for the full-court press, and Kansas just about chased Northern Iowa into oblivion. The Panthers probably would have folded all the way under the pressure were it not for Farokhmanesh, who's as gutty as any player in the field. He had missed six straight 3-pointers when he found himself alone on the 3-point arc with 35 seconds left and a 63-62 lead.

It was early in the shot clock, so the smart basketball play would have been to pull the ball out, run off some more clock and shoot with about 10 seconds left in the game -- but screw it. Where's the fun in that? Farokhmanesh didn't punt. He went for it. He fired up the 3-pointer, and it went down, and this game was basically over.

When it was finished, Northern Iowa had scored more points off turnovers than Kansas. Northern Iowa had scored more points off the offensive glass. More points in transition. More points not just on the scoreboard, but more points in every way that measures effort.

Kansas led just once. It was 2-0. Other than the opening score of 0-0, this game was never even tied.

And you're going to cry after the game, Kansas? Don't bother. Too late. Nobody wants to hear that crap now.

kstater
03-20-2010, 08:41 PM
"Rock Choke ChickenHawk KU!!"

:):):)

Rrrrooooccckkkkk Ccccchhhhooolkkkkkkeeee, CHIIICKEEENHAWWK
KKKKKKKKKKKkkkkkkkkkkUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuu

RRrooocckk Ccchhoookkkeeee, Jjjaayhhhawkkk....
KKKKKkkkkkkkUUUUuuuuuuuuu.....

RRrockk Ccchhoookkkkeee, CHickenHAW....
KKKkkk-UUuuuuuuu.....

RockChoke Jayhawk, KU!
RockChoke Chickenhawk, KU!

ROCKCHOKE CHICKENHAWK, KKK-UUUU!!!

Silock
03-20-2010, 08:43 PM
Harsh, but I can't say I disagree with that article.

duncan_idaho
03-20-2010, 08:45 PM
I just think its funny...

Its like...everytime on the buzzer..MSU reference brings you out.

There is only so much time you can spend yacking about irrelevant you think something is. If that was really the case obviously you wouldn't take the time.

My response was prompted by all the Valley guys whining about how none of the local big boys will play them... We aren't afraid of you. It just isn't worth it to play you.

Don't understand why it is hard to understand that ku isn't going to play Wichita State just because it might be good for the Shockers, that Mizzou isn't going to play SLU just for state pride's sake.

It's about money and reasoning. Give us a financial interest in playing you, or make yourself so relevant you HAVE to be played. Otherwise, the whining gets old, quickly.

ArrowheadHawk
03-20-2010, 08:48 PM
"Rock Choke ChickenHawk KU!!"

:):):)
Rrrrooooccckkkkk Ccccchhhhooolkkkkkkeeee, CHIIICKEEENHAWWK
KKKKKKKKKKKkkkkkkkkkkUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuu

RRrooocckk Ccchhoookkkeeee, Jjjaayhhhawkkk....
KKKKKkkkkkkkUUUUuuuuuuuuu.....

RRrockk Ccchhoookkkkeee, CHickenHAW....
KKKkkk-UUuuuuuuu.....

RockChoke Jayhawk, KU!
RockChoke Chickenhawk, KU!

ROCKCHOKE CHICKENHAWK, KKK-UUUU!!!

Stay classy.
Posted via Mobile Device

kstater
03-20-2010, 08:51 PM
So I wonder if Whitlocks article tomorrow will be crying how UNI was the toughest 9 in the bracket.

Reerun_KC
03-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Stay classy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Remember who your talking too....

Reerun_KC
03-20-2010, 08:52 PM
So I wonder if Whitlocks article tomorrow will be crying how UNI was the toughest 9 in the bracket.

Why would anyone care what Whitlock has to say?

Bearcat
03-20-2010, 09:01 PM
No, but don't you think he could have done some things differently? Why wait so long to go to the press?

There were a lot of worrying things about this team that we all swept under the rug because we won in the end. But starting slow is something that plagued this team all year long and it finally caught up with us.

That doesn't worry you?

Of course it worried me... I wanted UNI to come out strong, because it seemed like it would be the only thing that could force KU to flip on the switch early. I was afraid of a game like this, because they clearly didn't have the killer instinct from the opening tipoff of many games this year.

Yeah, they should have adjusted sooner, and maybe even Self took it for granted that they would turn it around and make a run.... but am I worried for the future? Not really. I imagine Self will be spending a lot of time second guessing himself and tearing down the game, and I imagine the kids in the locker room learned a few things, too.

As far as starting slow, I don't know what the answer would be, and I know I couldn't ever be a head coach... you can say what you want and say it in 1000 different ways, and they still might not get it until it's too late. I'm not giving Self a free pass, just saying that I don't know the answer to that one.

kstater
03-20-2010, 09:06 PM
But seriously, congrats on the good season. Making it to the round of 32 is nothing to sneeze about. KU was better than 315 other teams this year.

Pitt Gorilla
03-20-2010, 09:08 PM
What column?http://www.kansascity.com/2010/03/18/1823202/northern-iowa-poses-a-danger-for.html

Bearcat
03-20-2010, 09:10 PM
And you're going to cry after the game, Kansas? Don't bother. Too late. Nobody wants to hear that crap now.

Wow, I must say that's a helluva way to finish the article.

ArrowheadHawk
03-20-2010, 09:12 PM
But seriously, congrats on the good season. Making it to the round of 32 is nothing to sneeze about. KU was better than 315 other teams this year.

Better than KState 3 times this year.
Posted via Mobile Device

|Zach|
03-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

:LOL::thumb:

Silock
03-20-2010, 09:16 PM
I imagine Self will be spending a lot of time second guessing himself and tearing down the game, and I imagine the kids in the locker room learned a few things, too.

Too bad the kids that really learned the lesson won't be around to make another title run.

kstater
03-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Posted via Mobile Device
And yet, not better when the games really count.

ArrowheadHawk
03-20-2010, 09:20 PM
May as well crown your asses then. Good job you made the sweet 16. I lost count at how many times KU has done that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Braincase
03-20-2010, 09:24 PM

You really are an asshole. Beat your ass for 3 times this year, 2 times last year, and you act like K-State just knocked KU out of the tournament. Go shove a busted bottle up your ass and take a seat.

Come to think of it, the last time KU met K-State in the NCAA tournament.... we beat your asses then, too.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-20-2010, 09:25 PM
May as well crown your asses then. Good job you made the sweet 16. I lost count at how many times KU has done that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well the count for the 2010 tourney would be 0.

Mr. Arrowhead
03-20-2010, 09:30 PM
the way i look at it, is KU beat K state 3 times, UNI beat KU, so that means UNI would win the big 12.

kstater
03-20-2010, 09:30 PM
You really are an asshole. Beat your ass for 3 times this year, 2 times last year, and you act like K-State just knocked KU out of the tournament. Go shove a busted bottle up your ass and take a seat.

Come to think of it, the last time KU met K-State in the NCAA tournament.... we beat your asses then, too.

And yet only one team from Kansas will be playing next week. :shrug:

Braincase
03-20-2010, 09:31 PM
the way i look at it, is KU beat K state 3 times, UNI beat KU, so that means UNI would win the big 12.

Oklahoma State didn't.

Silock
03-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Most crashes out by a #1 seed belongs to KU. Fuck. That's just fucking great.

Saulbadguy
03-20-2010, 09:32 PM

Agreed.

Saulbadguy
03-20-2010, 09:32 PM
Most crashes out by a #1 seed belongs to KU. Fuck. That's just fucking great.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1085/1239924483_5b8298f5e4.jpg

Reerun_KC
03-20-2010, 09:35 PM
I guess you have waited for 20 years for tonight, huh Saul?

CosmicPal
03-20-2010, 09:36 PM

LMAO

Saulbadguy
03-20-2010, 09:37 PM

1988, I was 7 years old. Don't really recall much about that.

CosmicPal
03-20-2010, 09:38 PM
1988, I was 7 years old. Don't really recall much about that.

And yet, 20 years later, you still don't

Saulbadguy
03-20-2010, 09:39 PM
And yet, 20 years later, you still don't

Who are you, again?

CosmicPal
03-20-2010, 09:40 PM
Who are you, again?

Still having trouble with the remembering thing, eh?

DJJasonp
03-20-2010, 09:42 PM
It's fun to watch fans of teams cheer on other teams who did something to their rival that they couldn't do.

Nothing like living out your fantasies through another team.

Saulbadguy
03-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Still having trouble with the remembering thing, eh?

Naw. I remember you are the tool that wanted to file a class action lawsuit against ESPN for Sterling Sharpe's "biased announcing", during a Chiefs-Raiders game in Oakland. You don't forget dumbass-ery like that.

Saulbadguy
03-20-2010, 09:44 PM
It's fun to watch fans of teams cheer on other teams who did something to their rival that they couldn't do.

You mean like the Chiefs fans have been doing the past 40 years? :doh!:

CosmicPal
03-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Naw. I remember you are the tool that wanted to file a class action lawsuit against ESPN for Sterling Sharpe's "biased announcing", during a Chiefs-Raiders game in Oakland. You don't forget dumbass-ery like that.

:rolleyes:

KcMizzou
KU fans : Yeah we lost, but you're enjoying it. Clearly we're better than all of you. You're obsessed.

Everyone else : Ok, sure... but you fucking choked... again. Against Northern Fucking Iowa. You were EVERYONE's lock for the Final Four... and to win it all. How do you expect us not to enjoy that?

Sorry fellas, but If you're the big bully... people are gonna enjoy seeing a little guy whipping your ass.

Get used to it.

Braincase

K-State beat KU three years ago, and has beaten KU 90 times. Anytime you beat a team 90 times, it's a sign of vast superiority.

Saulbadguy
03-20-2010, 09:47 PM

Tap-out acknowledged.

DJJasonp
You mean like the Chiefs fans have been doing the past 40 years? :doh!:

pretty much!:banghead:

CosmicPal
Tap-out acknowledged.

DJJasonp
03-20-2010, 09:49 PM
K-State beat KU three years ago, and has beaten KU 90 times. Anytime you beat a team 90 times, it's a sign of vast superiority.

I guess there is a certain pride in knowing the rare losses that occur for KU end up being other programs' signature win of the decade.

StcChief
03-20-2010, 09:52 PM
or maybe parity is starting to take hold. look at all the other "upsets"...

KcMizzou
03-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Naw. I remember you are the tool that wanted to file a class action lawsuit against ESPN for Sterling Sharpe's "biased announcing", during a Chiefs-Raiders game in Oakland. You don't forget dumbass-ery like that.That was epic.

Bearcat
03-20-2010, 09:58 PM
KU fans : Yeah we lost, but you're enjoying it. Clearly we're better than all of you. You're obsessed.

Everyone else : Ok, sure... but you ****ing choked... again. Against Northern ****ing Iowa. You were EVERYONE's lock for the Final Four... and to win it all. How do you expect us not to enjoy that?

Sorry fellas, but If you're the big bully... people are gonna enjoy seeing a little guy whipping your ass.

Get used to it.

It's funny how every fanbase is quick to say they're the ones who take the high road, and then something like this happens..... some KU fans troll MU threads when they lose, and MU fans bitch about how they never do that to KU threads.... and then when they do, it's only because you did it first. And the opposite happens, too, of course. People love a good pile-on.

I don't really agree with your "everyone else" though.... "again" is bit much. Bucknell and Bradley were really not that significant given the circumstances, and they've played to their seed in every other tournament under Self before today.

Also, Northern f***ing Iowa is pretty good, and they played lights out... hell, this guy at ESPN called it two weeks ago...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=4974228

Northern Iowa belongs. And some name team is going to find that out the hard way.

Jenson71
03-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks for overlooking us.

I think it will be fun in the Sweet Sixteen.

KcMizzou
03-20-2010, 10:06 PM
It's funny how every fanbase is quick to say they're the ones who take the high road, and then something like this happens..... some KU fans troll MU threads when they lose, and MU fans bitch about how they never do that to KU threads.... and then when they do, it's only because you did it first. And the opposite happens, too, of course. People love a good pile-on.

I don't really agree with your "everyone else" though.... "again" is bit much. Bucknell and Bradley were really not that significant given the circumstances, and they've played to their seed in every other tournament under Self before today.

Also, Northern f***ing Iowa is pretty good, and they played lights out... hell, this guy at ESPN called it two weeks ago...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=4974228Well, as Mizzou fans, we too know what it's like to be upset by Northern fucking Iowa... so, there is that.

You're the big bully on the block... and you got beat down. People like to see that. (Plus you're fucking KU, and I'm a Mizzou fan.)

All you can do now, is take your lumps. Man up! It's not like you have to do it often, for fuck's sake.

Chocolate Hog
03-20-2010, 10:10 PM

lawlz

Pitt Gorilla
03-20-2010, 10:15 PM

Nothing like living out your fantasies through another team.I'm a UNI fan.

TrebMaxx
03-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Well, as Mizzou fans, we too know what it's like to be upset by Northern ****ing Iowa... so, there is that.

You're the big bully on the block... and you got beat down. People like to see that. (Plus you're ****ing KU, and I'm a Mizzou fan.)

All you can do now, is take your lumps. Man up! It's not like you have to do it often, for ****'s sake.

Very well put!

ArrowheadHawk
03-20-2010, 10:17 PM
I'm a UNI fan.
Well good job to your team. Luckily for you KU overlooked them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pitt Gorilla
03-20-2010, 10:17 PM
I think Roo is a Shocker fan, so it could just be sour grapes.

Whitlock made them out to be world beaters.... "Cornell, but with a lot more talent".

Whatever they are, I hope they come out and try to punch KU in the mouth, and get the Jayhawks going early. I have all the faith in the world they can flip the switch when they need it, but in the world of one-and-done.....UNI came out and punched them in the mouth.

Reerun_KC
03-20-2010, 10:19 PM
UNI came out and punched them in the mouth.

And they didnt do anything about it...

Crazy how this tournament works huh?

KcMizzou
03-20-2010, 10:20 PM
UNI came out and punched them in the mouth.and never let up.

CosmicPal
03-20-2010, 10:21 PM
UNI came out and punched them in the mouth.

And left a bitter taste in mine. :shake:

Reerun_KC
03-20-2010, 10:22 PM
and never let up.

This... KU wilted under the pressure. Never changed the game to favor KU until it was way to late...

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-20-2010, 10:23 PM
Ali Farokhmanesh has a message for you:

<EMBED src="http://content.ytmnd.com/content/6/4/1/6412bd35cd70bc4e737d1fae815c82a5.mp3" autostart=true loop=false volume=100 hidden=true><NOEMBED><BGSOUND src="http://content.ytmnd.com/content/6/4/1/6412bd35cd70bc4e737d1fae815c82a5.mp3"></NOEMBED>

KcMizzou
03-20-2010, 10:23 PM
This... KU wilted under the pressure. Never changed the game to favor KU until it was way to late...All kidding aside, man... I know that had to hurt.

Nothin' personal.

Reerun_KC
03-20-2010, 10:28 PM
All kidding aside, man... I know that had to hurt.

Nothin' personal.

None actually taking...

WoodDraw
03-20-2010, 10:29 PM
I have a bag of salt and nothing to do with it, so...

Why didn't KU start the pressure earlier? UNI looked embarrassing inbounding the ball, and KU was dominating the game as soon as they started real pressure. A free three pointer aside and this game turns out different.

I also preemptively apologize for this being talked about before, but you know...

Bearcat
03-20-2010, 10:29 PM
Well, as Mizzou fans, we too know what it's like to be upset by Northern ****ing Iowa... so, there is that.

You're the big bully on the block... and you got beat down. People like to see that. (Plus you're ****ing KU, and I'm a Mizzou fan.)

All you can do now, is take your lumps. Man up! It's not like you have to do it often, for ****'s sake.

Wait, didn't you just say "choke... again".... seems like it happens quite a bit. :p

Eh, outside of the in-game trolling during a game like this and the texts I received in the first few minutes after the game, I don't care. I guess there's a line with taking a game too seriously, just like there's a line with rubbing it in after a loss. It's the people who don't give you 10 freakin' minutes to get over it before rubbing it in who are annoying, and I did tell one MU friend to go f*** herself because of a text she sent 5 minutes after the game. Again, with those lines....

Silock
03-20-2010, 10:35 PM
I'm a UNI fan.

Wait, I thought you were a Pitt Gorilla fan.

alanm
03-20-2010, 10:40 PM
Bottom line the Valley schools and their Big12 regional rivals should play. It's better for both leagues. It adds excitement to the season and that way KU doesn't have to pay some chump school to get killed in Lawrence and WSU doesn't have to schedule f8gging Lamar or Sacramento State.Creighton plays Nebraska every year. Travel doesn't cost much for either school. ;)

alanm
03-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Valley baby. :thumb:PBJPBJPBJ

BWillie
03-20-2010, 10:55 PM
Ali Farokhmanesh has a message for you:

<EMBED src="http://content.ytmnd.com/content/6/4/1/6412bd35cd70bc4e737d1fae815c82a5.mp3" autostart=true loop=false volume=100 hidden=true><NOEMBED><BGSOUND src="http://content.ytmnd.com/content/6/4/1/6412bd35cd70bc4e737d1fae815c82a5.mp3"></NOEMBED>

That' f*cking scared me. I have my volume all the way up not playing anything. Freaked everybody out! I'd rather be rick rolled

Pitt Gorilla
03-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Wait, I thought you were a Pitt Gorilla fan.Not so much anymore. They were my undergrad institution when I joined the board 10 years ago.

Pitt Gorilla
03-20-2010, 11:04 PM
Creighton plays Nebraska every year. Travel doesn't cost much for either school. ;)UNI plays Iowa and Iowa State every year. We also play either Iowa or ISU in football every year (I think).

WilliamTheIrish
03-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Well good job to your team. Luckily for you KU overlooked them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yea, UNI didn't win, KU "overlooked them".

Chocolate Hog
03-20-2010, 11:13 PM

That woudn't have happend if Doc Sadler was the coach.

Bearcat
03-20-2010, 11:14 PM

I hate the doublespeak... the underdog gets all the credit in the world for being good until they actually beat someone, then it's all on the favorite for choking.

duncan_idaho
03-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Bottom line the Valley schools and their Big12 regional rivals should play. It's better for both leagues. It adds excitement to the season and that way KU doesn't have to pay some chump school to get killed in Lawrence and WSU doesn't have to schedule f8gging Lamar or Sacramento State.

Explain how it is better for the Big 12?

Better for the Valley? Sure, I get that.

WilliamTheIrish
03-20-2010, 11:29 PM
That woudn't have happend if Doc Sadler was the coach.

You can bet your last dollar (and this thread is proof positive) that you won't hear anybody say Jacobsen coached an incredible game. He did. But if you coach really, really, really really hard and lose, then you're an X/O genius.

WilliamTheIrish
03-20-2010, 11:31 PM
I hate the doublespeak... the underdog gets all the credit in the world for being good until they actually beat someone, then it's all on the favorite for choking.

To be fair, it's not you. You know that. The usual suspects who do that can be counted as absent when it hits the fan. (Hi Ari.)

KcMizzou
03-20-2010, 11:32 PM
To be fair, it's not you. You know that. The usual suspects who do that can be counted as absent when it hits the fan. (Hi Ari.)LMAO

Good point. Where the fuck is Ari?

WilliamTheIrish
03-20-2010, 11:36 PM
LMAO

Good point. Where the **** is Ari?

If I know Ari, and I think I do.... He's elbow deep in a 5 gallon tub of chocolate chip ice cream. LMAO

Chocolate Hog
03-20-2010, 11:38 PM
You can bet your last dollar (and this thread is proof positive) that you won't hear anybody say Jacobsen coached an incredible game. He did. But if you coach really, really, really really hard and lose, then you're an X/O genius.

I knew they would lose because they had a bad week of practice. This game will be a lesson though and next year they'll kick ass.

Saulbadguy
03-20-2010, 11:39 PM
LMAO

Good point. Where the fuck is Ari?

He posted on Facebook that he is at a "spiritual retreat".

ROFL

BWillie
03-20-2010, 11:40 PM
Wow, just listened to Coach Self after the game addressing the media. What a smooth operator and classy guy. Sure he has the but and ums in there, but such a genuine guy and knows just what to say. I couldn't ask for a better figurehead to speak to the media after games.

KcMizzou
03-20-2010, 11:54 PM
He posted on Facebook that he is at a "spiritual retreat".

ROFLLMAO

I love that guy.

The music in this thread kinda fits.

Silock
03-20-2010, 11:59 PM
Not so much anymore. They were my undergrad institution when I joined the board 10 years ago.

Do you currently attend UNI or something?

KcMizzou
03-21-2010, 12:04 AM
Aripuss? Where you at?

lightsout04
03-21-2010, 01:11 AM
I watch N. Iowa a few times this year they should have been seeded higher than a 9. They should have been an 5 or 6. Congratz to them on a win. Looking forward to the rest of the tourny and next year.

KC_Connection
03-21-2010, 03:39 AM
A couple of thoughts:

Very unfortunate that Sherron Collins had to end his career like that. He played one of the worst games in his 4 years here, and it was ultimately his turnovers and awful shots that cost the team the game (among other things). Somehow I always feared this would be the way it would go down...he always tried to do too much and it really hurt sometimes. A great career, but I will never remember him as a clutch player like Chalmers was.

Bill Self should have gone to the press earlier in the 2nd half. He allowed UNI to run down numerous possessions, and even though they were mostly missing the shots (as expected), it was the time lost that really killed KU. If you press that team of unathletic guys, they would undoubtedly falter (and probably quickly). Self attempted to stick with what worked all season far longer than he should have, and while that wasn't a bad strategy defensively overall...he didn't take into account that a 10 point lead in a slow, low possession game like that is much more than a 10 point lead in a fast paced, high possession game. A few more minutes and KU would have won...but they ran out of time. I put that on Self.

They also didn't go down low nearly enough. I'm not sure whether to blame Self or the terrible guard play of Collins and Taylor for that. If you allow the Morrises/Aldrich to work that team down every possession, it's a different result.

And the bottomline here....like many times this season, KU didn't come to play in the 1st half with any effort. They got down too far in the 1st half against a very good defensive team and it proved to be too much for them. This was where the 2007-2008 team topped them....they blew teams out early and never looked back. They were also more polished on both ends of the floor and had superior leadership. They deserved that title...this team didn't come to play when it counted.

Also, in a one-and-done tournament, this is just the way it goes sometimes. Even though they were the best team this year (or close), it's very hard to expect anybody to win it all (after all, 64 teams go home unhappy), and I certainly didn't. But losing in the 2nd round like this is like a serious punch in the gut. Sigh...at least baseball is starting up...

KC_Connection
03-21-2010, 03:44 AM
Also, congrats to UNI and their coach. They had a very good strategy, and even though their talent was vastly inferior they pulled it out....that's a credit to their mental toughness. I still can't believe that Ali guy had the balls to take that last shot. If he misses that, they probably lose, and the coach is pissed at him. But he made it. So clutch.

KC_Connection
03-21-2010, 03:57 AM
I'll be cheering for KSU the rest of the tournament (I like and respect their players), but they'll likely be going down at some point in the next 2 weeks. Everybody except the champion ends the season unhappily, whether you lose in the 2nd round or in the final. It's all very crushing, I've found.

Braincase
03-21-2010, 04:11 AM
Been up for about an hour. God this sucks.

Reerun_KC
03-21-2010, 09:23 AM
Been up for about an hour. God this sucks.

Yeah, but its not like its the end of the world....

KU will rebound and be back.

KcMizzou
03-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Also, congrats to UNI and their coach. They had a very good strategy, and even though their talent was vastly inferior they pulled it out....that's a credit to their mental toughness. I still can't believe that Ali guy had the balls to take that last shot. If he misses that, they probably lose, and the coach is pissed at him. But he made it. So clutch.Yeah, that was a "NOOOO.... YES!!!" moment, for sure.

Reerun_KC
03-21-2010, 09:28 AM
Also, congrats to UNI and their coach. They had a very good strategy, and even though their talent was vastly inferior they pulled it out....that's a credit to their mental toughness. I still can't believe that Ali guy had the balls to take that last shot. If he misses that, they probably lose, and the coach is pissed at him. But he made it. So clutch.

Have to give them props... They beat KU at their own game... While KU stood there and took it in the ass.....

KU never adjusted until it was too late...

Buehler445
03-21-2010, 09:38 AM
A couple of thoughts:

Very unfortunate that Sherron Collins had to end his career like that. He played one of the worst games in his 4 years here, and it was ultimately his turnovers and awful shots that cost the team the game (among other things). Somehow I always feared this would be the way it would go down...he always tried to do too much and it really hurt sometimes. A great career, but I will never remember him as a clutch player like Chalmers was.

Bill Self should have gone to the press earlier in the 2nd half. He allowed UNI to run down numerous possessions, and even though they were mostly missing the shots (as expected), it was the time lost that really killed KU. If you press that team of unathletic guys, they would undoubtedly falter (and probably quickly). Self attempted to stick with what worked all season far longer than he should have, and while that wasn't a bad strategy defensively overall...he didn't take into account that a 10 point lead in a slow, low possession game like that is much more than a 10 point lead in a fast paced, high possession game. A few more minutes and KU would have won...but they ran out of time. I put that on Self.

They also didn't go down low nearly enough. I'm not sure whether to blame Self or the terrible guard play of Collins and Taylor for that. If you allow the Morrises/Aldrich to work that team down every possession, it's a different result.

And the bottomline here....like many times this season, KU didn't come to play in the 1st half with any effort. They got down too far in the 1st half against a very good defensive team and it proved to be too much for them. This was where the 2007-2008 team topped them....they blew teams out early and never looked back. They were also more polished on both ends of the floor and had superior leadership. They deserved that title...this team didn't come to play when it counted.

Also, in a one-and-done tournament, this is just the way it goes sometimes. Even though they were the best team this year (or close), it's very hard to expect anybody to win it all (after all, 64 teams go home unhappy), and I certainly didn't. But losing in the 2nd round like this is like a serious punch in the gut. Sigh...at least baseball is starting up...

Pretty good post. I'm pretty much in agreement. I thought surely the team SOMEWHERE in the season would have realized that coming out slow is terrible, but they didn't.

Reerun_KC
03-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Pretty good post. I'm pretty much in agreement. I thought surely the team SOMEWHERE in the season would have realized that coming out slow is terrible, but they didn't.

Agree. We have talked about it all year... Sure the 30+ season was fun. But it was rare that this team dick stomped someone..

They half assed it way too much and it caught up to them.

Elwaysux
03-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Irony. My brother in law is the sports editor for the Waterloo Courier that covers the Panthers. He came down this year to see KU/Cornell with us and told us KU would curgb stomp UNI because of KU's athleticism. My wife and I are both UNI grads as well but since our son goes to KU we were rooting for KU the whole way and now have lost numerous bets to our family up north.
I agree that too often this year we played down to our competition and didn't find the extra gear early enough. Tough loss.

alanm
03-21-2010, 10:56 AM
I watch N. Iowa a few times this year they should have been seeded higher than a 9. They should have been an 5 or 6. Congratz to them on a win. Looking forward to the rest of the tourny and next year.Mo Valley gets no respect. None. I still think Creightons woes were somewhat brought on by the total dis involved by not getting a NCAA bid last year after going 28-7 in the regular season. Got knocked out by Kentucky in OT at home in the 2nd rnd in the NIT to end the year. Doesn't look too bad now in hindsight. And as shitty a year as Creighton had their still at it in the CIT tourney.
But I'm proud of NIU :thumb:

DJay23
03-21-2010, 11:06 AM
A couple of thoughts:

The double edged sword with pressing for a long time to get caught up in a game like this is you tire yourself out trying to get even, that when you finally do, you're out of gas and can't put it over the top. I know KU has depth and all, but Self clearly never trusted that depth, especially in what amounted to the last game.

That 3 with 30 seconds left was the daggerfor us and huge lift for them. You could start to see the UNI players doubting themselves when our inbounds pressure turned them over a few times and brought us to within 1.

CoMoChief
03-22-2010, 01:59 AM

In return a win wouldn't do anything to improve their RPI

CoMoChief
03-22-2010, 02:05 AM
They made 3's, even with players that don't normally make shoot/make 3's

Kansas couldn't hit any 3's

UNI got a bunch of long rebounds and second chances. Scored a lot when the shot clock was low. That alone can take the wind out of you defensively.

Kansas was careless with the ball all throughout the game.

Kansas got into foul trouble early in the game. Sent UNI who's a good FT shooting team to the line a lot in the first 10 min.

Kansas just played like shit against a team that couldn't miss.

Self choked once again against a smaller school. If it weren't for 2008...his ass would be fired for this.

KC_Connection
03-22-2010, 02:23 AM
I wish Como would stop writing down his thoughts. Particularly his thoughts about basketball. Who agrees?

WilliamTheIrish
03-22-2010, 08:09 AM
I wish Como would stop writing down his thoughts. Particularly his thoughts about basketball. Who agrees?

I think it's important that we get these thoughts archived. Future generations need to be able to point and laugh.

DeezNutz
03-22-2010, 08:12 AM
Self choked once again against a smaller school. If it weren't for 2008...his ass would be fired for this.

I think Kansas could do better.

Might be time to look around and see who else is out there.

Saulbadguy
03-22-2010, 08:16 AM

No. It's entertaining.

ArrowheadHawk
03-22-2010, 09:07 AM
I think Kansas could do better.

Might be time to look around and see who else is out there.ROFL

Ari Chi3fs
03-22-2010, 10:26 AM
I think it's safe to say that ROYC75's mojo is pretty fucking dead. No more threads for you.

jagerdrinker
03-22-2010, 10:30 AM
So what does Michigan State need to focus on to win against Northern Iowa? I think that the game will not get over 100 total points, unless NI has blown their wad already and MSU takes them to school. Any thoughts?

Pitt Gorilla
03-22-2010, 11:33 AM
"Kansas got screwed if your really watched the TWO ways that games was called on either end....you do not have to manufacture upsets NCAA....its sad that in a year that would have had a lot of upsets anyway one upset is tainted by HORIBLE officiating in the Kansas game....watch that game and see if you can figure out what those reffs thought a charge was....collins was sliding to the outside when the UNI player moved come one!"
:spock:

CoMoChief
03-22-2010, 12:51 PM

There's an ignore button for that. You should try using it.