PDA

View Full Version : Football BCS under investigation?

orange
03-19-2010, 08:56 PM
On college sports, (Senator Orrin) Hatch called the Bowl Championship Series, which oversees the college football national championship game, “a corrupt system” that funnels billions of dollars to “privileged conferences.”

The Department of Justice has told Hatch it is considering whether to investigate the BCS for possible violations of antitrust law.

‘Gravy Train’

“It’s a corrupt system and frankly we really do need to change it,” Hatch said. “And I understand why they’d try and hold onto it. It’s a gravy train to them that nobody seems to look at or supervise or review.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aghrqNBEBtIc

Fairplay
03-19-2010, 09:01 PM
I will supervise it. Totally an unbiased view on how to handle things, however bribed dinners, golf games and loose females will be permitted.

TrebMaxx
03-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Thank god! Fix the BCS. Jobs and the economy can wait.

Thig Lyfe
03-19-2010, 09:22 PM

I'm really glad they're dropping everything else to do this! Because they totally are!

Guru
03-19-2010, 09:30 PM
Gotta love our congress.

Bearcat
03-19-2010, 09:37 PM
“a corrupt system” that funnels billions of dollars to [the] privileged...

“It’s a corrupt system and frankly we really do need to change it,” Hatch said. “And I understand why they’d try and hold onto it. It’s a gravy train to them that nobody seems to look at or supervise or review.”

What we've done is, we've taken the government's system..../bcs committee

Baconeater
03-19-2010, 10:02 PM
What we've done is, we've taken the government's system..../bcs committee
No kidding, that statement is oozing with hypocrisy. They're just mad that they're not getting a cut of it.

WilliamTheIrish
03-20-2010, 06:22 AM
It would be more accurate if Hatch's statement included the letters NCAA and corrupt.

chiefzilla1501
03-20-2010, 06:47 AM

Given that state schools that are funded by taxpayer money are getting screwed out of big money bowls, this is most certainly an important issue.

Just because the economy sucks doesn't mean we should ignore everything outside of it.

Terribilis
03-20-2010, 06:53 AM
I think they are betting that if they can get a playoff system going, it will be so popular, every congressman will be re-elected. This is nothing more than election year games.

patteeu
03-20-2010, 09:18 AM
Given that state schools that are funded by taxpayer money are getting screwed out of big money bowls, this is most certainly an important issue.

Just because the economy sucks doesn't mean we should ignore everything outside of it.

Huh? You mean state schools like Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, Virginia Tech, Penn St., Alabama, Georgia Tech, Boise St., Oregon and Ohio St.?

Chocolate Hog
03-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Please put 1 second back on the clock.

patteeu
03-20-2010, 09:25 AM
Please put 1 second back on the clock.

Thank goodness for modern technology. Not that long ago, Nebraska would have gotten away with stealing a victory which reminds me of the time Nebraska illegally kicked a ball to steal a victory from Missouri.

jjjayb
03-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Bank takover - check
auto maker takover - check
healthcare takover - check
student loan takover - check
bcs takover - check

What's next?

Baconeater
03-20-2010, 09:30 AM
Thank goodness for modern technology. Not that long ago, Nebraska would have gotten away with stealing a victory which reminds me of the time Nebraska illegally kicked a ball to steal a victory from Missouri.
That kick didn't win the game for Nebraska, MU still had an opportunity to win in OT. Not to mention Mizzou had scored a touchdown on an illegal pick play shortly before that happened.

patteeu
03-20-2010, 09:39 AM
That kick didn't win the game for Nebraska, MU still had an opportunity to win in OT. Not to mention Mizzou had scored a touchdown on an illegal pick play shortly before that happened.

It stole a victory from Mizzou, like I said, because if it hadn't happened, Mizzou would have won in regulation.

Baconeater
03-20-2010, 09:45 AM
It stole a victory from Mizzou, like I said, because if it hadn't happened, Mizzou would have won in regulation.
Yes and if it hadn't happened we could say that Mizzou stole the victory on an illegal play as well. Shit has a way of balancing out. And don't act like Mizzou fan wouldn't be crying bloody murder if 0:01 happened to them.

KChiefs1
03-20-2010, 10:04 AM
So Lew Perkins did buy the Orange Bowl afterall.

Chocolate Hog
03-20-2010, 10:59 AM

Nebraska won't need modern technology next year to kick Mizzous ass. Besides it was't :01 that gave Texas the win it was the phantom PI call thatgave them 3 points that won the game.

patteeu
03-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Yes and if it hadn't happened we could say that Mizzou stole the victory on an illegal play as well. Shit has a way of balancing out.

You can't seriously believe that a bad call on the last play of a game that pulls a team out of a sure loss is balance for some routine bad call earlier in the game. It certainly isn't the same "but for this call, team X was certain to have won" situation.

And don't act like Mizzou fan wouldn't be crying bloody murder if 0:01 happened to them.

Why would we be? In the Nebraska game, it was a bad call on the last play in regulation. In the Texas game, the officials got it right.

patteeu
03-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Nebraska won't need modern technology next year to kick Mizzous ass. Besides it was't :01 that gave Texas the win it was the phantom PI call thatgave them 3 points that won the game.

That's why you're still whining about the officials putting 1 second back on the clock, right?

Dave Lane
03-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Well someone said it would take an act of Congress to get the BCS's head out of its ass so maybe they were right.

Chocolate Hog
03-20-2010, 11:08 AM
That's why you're still whining about the officials putting 1 second back on the clock, right?

It was a joke but tell me how can there be a PI call when the ball is thrown out of bounds and isn't catchable? Don't worry about Mizzou getting screwed over in a confrence title game they can't even play good enough to make it a close game.

Baconeater
03-20-2010, 11:08 AM
You can't seriously believe that a bad call on the last play of a game that pulls a team out of a sure loss is balance for some routine bad call earlier in the game. It certainly isn't the same "but for this call, team X was certain to have won" situation.
It wasn't that much earlier in the game, it was on MU's TD to take the lead late in the 4th. And besides Mizzou had a chance to overcome their hose job, but Nebraska didn't.

In the Texas game, the officials got it right.
Ugh, no they didn't. Do they review every pass that goes OOB to see where the clock was when the ball hits the ground (or whatever) during the course of the game? No, they don't, and therefore they shouldn't be doing it at the end of a game either. Not to mention the fact that isn't a reviewable play under Big XII rules anyway.

Chocolate Hog
03-20-2010, 11:10 AM
If you watch the 1997 Rose Bowl when time expired when clearly there was 1 second left they didn't even bother putting that 1 second back on the clock.

patteeu
03-20-2010, 11:16 AM
It wasn't that much earlier in the game, it was on MU's TD to take the lead late in the 4th. And besides Mizzou had a chance to overcome their hose job, but Nebraska didn't.

Nebraska didn't get screwed. That's the key difference between the two.

Ugh, no they didn't. Do they review every pass that goes OOB to see where the clock was when the ball hits the ground (or whatever) during the course of the game? No, they don't, and therefore they shouldn't be doing it at the end of a game either. Not to mention the fact that isn't a reviewable play under Big XII rules anyway.

It is reviewable and it was the right call. You can't get around that. They could double check the clock operation on every play, but it would grind the game to a halt. That's why it's sensible to only do it when it matters the most, which gets us back to why the Nebraska illegal kick was so much worse than any other bad call that might have happened during that game (or during most other games).

Chocolate Hog
03-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Patteau why do you keep avoiding the PI call on Amakarau? If the ball is thrown out of bounds there isn't a PI.

TrebMaxx
03-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Get ready! The Obamabowl is in our future.

patteeu
03-20-2010, 11:22 AM
If you watch the 1997 Rose Bowl when time expired when clearly there was 1 second left they didn't even bother putting that 1 second back on the clock.

:deevee:

chiefzilla1501
03-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Huh? You mean state schools like Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, Virginia Tech, Penn St., Alabama, Georgia Tech, Boise St., Oregon and Ohio St.?

Just because a few do get the proper treatment, doesn't justify not giving others the proper treatment. Boise St. lucked into a bowl game this season, because they found a BCS Bowl willing to gamble on them. 9 times out of 10, they are shut away from bowls they deserve. University of Utah is the same way.

Yes, when state schools with crowds that travel like Florida State and Ohio State (and yes, I am an Ohio State fan) are very often getting marquee BCS Bowls that generate a ton of money, much of which goes back to the school, in favor of schools who deserve to be there, it becomes a problem.

We're talking about mostly publicly funded Universities funded by taxpayer dollars competing for a chance at both a National title and for the chance to play in prestigious bowls that can bring in a lot of money for the University. So yes, that competition needs to be fair or you're screwing the taxpayers of a state like Utah from getting revenues they would get in a fair system.

patteeu
03-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Patteau why do you keep avoiding the PI call on Amakarau? If the ball is thrown out of bounds there isn't a PI.

I'm not avoiding it, but I don't think you have much to whine about. The Nebraska defender was all over the receiver during the entire route so there was clearly a penalty. The ball landed out of bounds, but it would have been easily catchable if the receiver had been allowed to run his route, IMO. I think you were influenced by the announcers who initially thought the ball was thrown away and then questioned the call. They were as wrong as you are.

Baconeater
03-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Nebraska didn't get screwed. That's the key difference between the two.

It is reviewable and it was the right call. You can't get around that. They could double check the clock operation on every play, but it would grind the game to a halt. That's why it's sensible to only do it when it matters the most, which gets us back to why the Nebraska illegal kick was so much worse than any other bad call that might have happened during that game (or during most other games).
You're clearly letting your hatred for Nebraska cloud your judgment. How on earth is it sensible to change the rules at the end of a game?

And even if we throw every other point out the window, you and I and everyone else knows that if the roles were reversed in that game, there is NO WAY IN HELL they put that second back on the clock for Nebraska.

patteeu
03-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Just because a few do get the proper treatment, doesn't justify not giving others the proper treatment. Boise St. lucked into a bowl game this season, because they found a BCS Bowl willing to gamble on them. 9 times out of 10, they are shut away from bowls they deserve. University of Utah is the same way.

Yes, when state schools with crowds that travel like Florida State and Ohio State (and yes, I am an Ohio State fan) are very often getting marquee BCS Bowls that generate a ton of money, much of which goes back to the school, in favor of schools who deserve to be there, it becomes a problem.

We're talking about mostly publicly funded Universities funded by taxpayer dollars competing for a chance at both a National title and for the chance to play in prestigious bowls that can bring in a lot of money for the University. So yes, that competition needs to be fair or you're screwing the taxpayers of a state like Utah from getting revenues they would get in a fair system.

I don't think this is a matter that belongs in the US Congress. If the schools like Boise and Utah don't like the way the BCS operates, why don't they create a different organization and have their own bowls and their own national championship? No one is getting screwed here who isn't volunteering to be screwed.

patteeu
03-20-2010, 11:34 AM
You're clearly letting your hatred for Nebraska cloud your judgment. How on earth is it sensible to change the rules at the end of a game?

And even if we throw every other point out the window, you and I and everyone else knows that if the roles were reversed in that game, there is NO WAY IN HELL they put that second back on the clock for Nebraska.

Most sports change the rules at the end of the game. In the NFL, only the booth can call for a replay at the end of the game, for example. But this isn't really a case of changing the rules, it's a case of more strictly enforcing the rules because of the disparate impact a bad call can make at the end of the game. If there were no cost for strictly enforcing the rule throughout the game, it would be done, but as I've already pointed out, the cost would be high. Therefore, the emphasis should properly be where it matters the most. Losing a second in the middle of the first quarter isn't anything like losing the last second of the 4th quarter.

Chocolate Hog
03-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Once again Patteau talks out of his ass.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HiG3vDPNblQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HiG3vDPNblQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Baconeater
03-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Most sports change the rules at the end of the game. In the NFL, only the booth can call for a replay at the end of the game, for example. But this isn't really a case of changing the rules, it's a case of more strictly enforcing the rules because of the disparate impact a bad call can make at the end of the game. If there were no cost for strictly enforcing the rule throughout the game, it would be done, but as I've already pointed out, the cost would be high. Therefore, the emphasis should properly be where it matters the most. Losing a second in the middle of the first quarter isn't anything like losing the last second of the 4th quarter.
Well just FTR I'm not in favor of the booth review rule either, each team gets at least two challenges as it is, so if the last two minutes are that much more crucial they damn well should save one for that time.

patteeu
03-20-2010, 12:07 PM
Once again Patteau talks out of his ass.

How so? I watched that before I responded to make sure I remembered it right. I did. The receiver was molested as the ball was in the air. The fact that that molestation was enough to make him give up on the play and therefore fail to even come close to being in position to catch the ball is irrelevant. If he'd been tackled, he wouldn't have gotten to the ball either. OTOH, if he hadn't been held or interfered with, he would have been there to make a play on the ball.